Jump to navigation Jump to search
- La formation de l'esprit scientifique
- The Formation of the Scientific Mind (trans.)
- The Tyranny of Words
- Experience and Education
- New York: Kappa Delta Pi.
- The Mobilization of Knowledge and the 'Permanent World Encyclopedia' of Mr. H. G. Wells
- In: International Federation of Documentation. XlVth Conf. (1938) pp. 161-167.
- A dystopian science-fiction novella
- ``It takes place at some unspecified future date when mankind has entered another dark age as a result of [...] the evils of irrationality and collectivism and the weaknesses of socialistic thinking and economics.``
- ``Rand describes an unnamed short story, which she read in the Saturday Evening Post circa 1937, that influenced her to write Anthem [...] The story in question was almost certainly Stephen Vincent Benét's "By the Waters of Babylon".``
- ``Anthem bears notable similarities to Yevgeny Zamyatin's novel We, which also influenced George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.``
- World Brain
- Cf. H. G. Wells (1937) "The Idea of a Permanent World Encyclopaedia"
- Cf. James Miller (1982) University of the World, an organization that aimed to link educational institutions in all countries
- Cf. Tim Berners-Lee (1989) Proposal for the World Wide Web Hypertext Project
- Cf. Tim Berners-Lee (1991)
On August 6, 1991, he posted a short summary of the World Wide Web project on the alt.hypertext newsgroup. This date also marked the debut of the Web as a publicly available service on the Internet. First server outside of Europe was created at SLAC in December 1991.
- Cf. Tim Berners-Lee (1993)
On April 30, 1993, CERN announced that the World Wide Web would be free to anyone, with no fees due. Coming two months after the announcement that the Gopher protocol was no longer free to use, this produced a rapid shift away from Gopher and towards the Web. An early popular Web browser was ViolaWWW, which was based upon HyperCard.
- Cf. Parker Rossman (1993) The Emerging Worldwide Electronic University
- Cf. Harold Kroto (1995) Vega Science Trust
- Cf. Michael Arbib (1997) "A Brain for Planet Earth," World Brain Workshop, University of Calgary, June 12 (unpublished paper)
- Cf. Tim Berners-Lee (1999) Weaving the Web
- Cf. Martin Gardner (1999) "The Internet: A World Brain?" Skeptical Inquirer (Jan-Feb, 1999) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2843/is_1_23/ai_53569321