Sarfaraz Niazi was born in Lucknow, India in 1949; he migrated to Karachi, Pakistan in 1962, and to the United States in 1970. He has published 100+ scholarly papers, owns 40+ patents, delivered 300+ talks on scientific and literary topics, written over 30+ technical and literary books (including a collection of his own poems). His textbooks are required reading worldwide and he allows their distribution royalty-free in developing countries. His technical books allow companies and governments in the developing countries to manufacture safe and effective drugs and vaccines at an affordable cost. He also teaches scientists in developing countries on creating value through intellectual property and, in this capacity, he serves as an advisor to the Government of Pakistan. He is widely recognized for his translations of ghazals (love poems) of one of the most widely read poet, Ghalib. He broadcasts explications of Ghalib’s poetry on Voice of America every Sunday.
Sarfaraz obtained his bachelors of science degree in chemistry in 1966 from University of Karachi in Karachi, Pakistan. Then he obtained a Marketing Certificate in 1967 from the Institute of Business Administration from Karachi University in Karachi, Pakistan. In 1969, he obtained his bachelors of science degree in pharmacy from the University of Karachi, and then relocated in 1970 to the United States. He obtained his masters of science degree in pharmaceutical science in 1971 from Washington State University in Pullman, WA, and then moved to Illinois. In 1974, he obtained his doctorate in pharmaceutical sciences from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
From 1974 to 1988, he taught at the UIC College of Pharmacy. In 1988, he began working for Abbott Laboratories as its Director of Technical Affairs in Karachi, Pakistan. At the same time, he was Professor of Pharmacology at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi, Pakistan. In 1996, he began working for Gulf Pharmaceutical Industries (also known as Julphar) in Ras al-Khaimah of the United Arab Emirates. From 1996 to 1999, he worked in the United Arab Emirates, and from 1999 to 2003, he managed the company's US headquarters in Deerfield, IL. In 2003, he resigned from Gulf Pharmaceutical Industries and established his own consulting business, known as Pharmaceutical Scientist, Inc., and began establishing Therapeutic Proteins, Inc., a biogeneric biopharmaceutical company in Chicago, IL, doing work on such biopharmaceuticals as filgrastim, erythropoietin, interferon, PEGylation, and monoclonal antibodies, to create biogeneric versions of these products.
- Pharmacokinetic modeling systems—distribution volume as a thermodynamic parameter
- Errors in pharmacokinetic calculations
- Pharmacokinetics and toxicity of fluorocarbon propellants
- Toxicity of dimethylbenzanthracene—pharmacokinetic profile
- Pharmacokinetics of food antioxidants
- Effect of dehydration on drug pharmacokinetics
- Solid solutions to enhance dissolution rates
- Polymorphism and pharmacokinetics
- Perfluorocarbon coating of mucous membranes
- Modeling of first pass drug metabolism
- Pharmacokinetics of furantoin
- Water deprivation and drug pharmacokinetics
Inventions (partial list)
- Herbal formulations for skin treatment—burn, diaper rash, breast care, alopecia
- Herbal formulations for ulcer treatment
- Combinations to reduce side effects of orlistat
- Enhance acvitity of sildenafil
- Perfluorocarbons in weight loss
- Chewing gum as drug delivery systems
- Flexible bioreactors
- Perfusion filters
- Mixing systems
- Preparative bioreactors
- Virus-free air generation
- Universal applications of flexible bioreactors
- Daisy-chaining bioreactors
Papers (partial list)
- Iqbal MP, Baig JA, Ali AA, Niazi SK, Mehboobali N, Hussain MA. The effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on the disposition of methotrexate in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1998 Apr; 19(3):163-7.
- Niazi SK, Alam SM, Ahmad SI. Partial-area method in bioequivalence assessment: naproxen. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1997 Mar; 18(2):103-16.
- Niazi SK, Alam SM, Ahmad SI. Dose dependent pharmacokinetics of naproxen in man. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1996 May; 17(4):355-61.
- Iqbal MP, Niazi SK, Mehboobali N, Zaidi AA. Disposition kinetics of aditoprim in two monkeys in comparison to other mammalian species. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1995 Nov; 16(8):713-8.
- Iqbal N, Ahmad B, Janbaz KH, Gilani AU, Niazi SK. The effect of caffeine on the pharmacokinetics of acetaminophen in man. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1995 Aug; 16(6):481-7.
- Iqbal MP, Niazi SK, Ashfaq MK, Mahboobali N. Pharmacokinetics of aditoprim in normal and febrile sheep. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1995 May; 16(4):343-9. No abstract available.
- Iqbal MP, Ashfaq MK, Niazi SK, Mahboobali M, Khawaja KN. Pharmacokinetics of aditoprim and trimethoprim in buffalo calves. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1994 Mar; 15(2):173-7.
- Niazi SK, Hussain M. Disposition kinetics of 7, 12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene in rats. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1992 Nov; 13(8):591-6.
- Ahmad M, Niazi SK, Ahmad T, Muzaffar NA, Nawaz M. Effect of dehydration on the disposition kinetics of erythromycin in rabbits. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1992 Mar; 13(2):77-82.
- Bhutta ZA, Niazi SK, Suria A. Chloramphenicol clearance in typhoid fever: implications for therapy. Indian J Pediatr. 1992 Mar-Apr; 59(2):213-9.
- Iqbal MP, Mahboobali N, Niazi SK, Mahmood MA. Pharmacokinetics of aditoprim in goats using a radioassay. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1990 Aug-Sep; 11(6):533-41.
- Prasad P, Niazi S, Jung D. Effect of acute water deprivation on renal function in rats. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1988 May-Jun; 9(3):259-65.
- Zafar NU, Niazi S, Jung D. Influence of water deprivation on the disposition of paracetamol. J Pharm Pharmacol. 1987 Feb; 39(2):144-7.
- Prasad P, Jung D, Niazi S. Influence of short-term water deprivation on antipyrine disposition. J Pharm Sci. 1985 Mar; 74(3):338-9.
- Prasad PP, Niazi S. Effect of water deprivation on antipyrine disposition kinetics in rats. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1984 Apr-Jun; 5(2):195-8. No abstract available.
- Gurwich EL, Raees SM, Skosey J, Niazi S. Unbound plasma salicylate concentration in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Br J Rheumatol. 1984 Feb; 23(1):66-73.
- El-Rashidy R, Niazi S. A new metabolite of butylated hydroxyanisole in man. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1983 Oct-Dec; 4(4):389-96.
- Bakar SK, Niazi S. Effect of water deprivation on aspirin disposition kinetics. J Pharm Sci. 1983 Sep; 72(9):1030-4.
- Bakar SK, Niazi S. Simple reliable method for chronic cannulation of the jugular vein for pharmacokinetic studies in rats. J Pharm Sci. 1983 Sep; 72(9):1027-9.
- Bakar SK, Niazi S. Stability of aspirin in different media. J Pharm Sci. 1983 Sep; 72(9):1024-6.
- Bakar SK, Niazi S. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of aspirin and its metabolites in plasma and urine. J Pharm Sci. 1983 Sep; 72(9):1020-3.
- Niazi S, Vishnupad KS, Veng-Pedersen P. Absorption and disposition characteristics of nitrofurantoin in dogs. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 1983 Jul-Sep; 4(3):213-23.
- Ahmad T, Parveen G, Niazi S. Effect of water deprivation on chloramphenicol disposition kinetics in humans. J Pharm Sci. 1982 Nov; 71(11):1309-10.
- Niazi S, Lim J, Bederka JP. Effect of ascorbic acid on renal excretion of lead in the rat. J Pharm Sci. 1982 Oct; 71(10):1189-90.
- El-Rashidy R, Niazi S. Comparative pharmacokinetics of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene in rabbits. J Pharm Sci. 1980 Dec; 69(12):1455-7.
- Niazi S. Multicompartment pharmacokinetic analysis and simulations using a programmable calculator. Int J Biomed Comput. 1979 May; 10(3):245-55.
- El-Rashidy R, Niazi S. GLC determination of butylated hydroxyanisole in human plasma and urine. J Pharm Sci. 1979 Jan; 68(1):103-4.
- El-Rashidy R, Niazi S. Binding of butylated hydroxyanisole to human albumin using a Novel dynamic method. J Pharm Sci. 1978 Jul; 67(7):967-70.
- Niazi S. Thermodynamics of mercaptopurine dehydration. J Pharm Sci. 1978 Apr; 67(4):488-91.
- Bakar S, Niazi S. Simplified method to study stability of pharmaceutical systems. J Pharm Sci. 1978 Jan; 67(1):141.
- Hussain M, Niazi S, Arambulo A, Long DM. Perfluorooctyl bromide: a potential antiobesity compound. J Pharm Sci. 1977 Jun; 66(6):907-8.
- Huang ML, Niazi S. Polymorphic and dissolution properties of mercaptopurine. J Pharm Sci. 1977 Apr; 66(4):608-9.
- Niazi S. Application of a programmable calculator in data fitting according to one and two compartment open models in clinical pharmacokinetics. Comput Programs Biomed. 1977 Mar; 7(1):41-4.
- Niazi S, Chiou WL. Fluorocarbon aerosol propellants XI: Pharmacokinetics of dichlorodifluoromethane in dogs following single and multiple dosing. J Pharm Sci. 1977 Jan; 66(1):49-53.
- Niazi S. Volume of distribution and tissue level errors in instantaneous intravenous input assumptions. J Pharm Sci. 1976 OCT; 65(10):1539-40.
- Niazi S. Comparison of observed and predicted first-pass metabolism of nortriptyline in humans. J Pharm Sci. 1976 OCT; 65(10):1535-6.
- Chiou WL, Niazi S. Pharmaceutical applications of solid dispersion systems: dissolution of griseofulvin-succinic acid eutectic mixture. J Pharm Sci. 1976 Aug; 65(8):1212-4.
- Niazi S. Comparison of observed and predicted first-pass metabolism of imipramine in humans. J Pharm Sci. 1976 Jul; 65(7):1063-4.
- Niazi S. Errors involved in instantaneous intravascular input assumptions. J Pharm Sci. 1976 May; 65(5):750-2.
- Niazi S. Volume of distribution as a function of time. J Pharm Sci. 1976 Mar; 65(3):452-4.
- Niazi S. Effect of polyethylene glycol 4000 on dissolution properties of sulfathiazole polymorphs. J Pharm Sci. 1976 Feb; 65(2):302-4.
- Niazi S, Chiou WL. Fluorocarbon aerosol propellants X: pharmacokinetics of dichlorotetrafluoroethane in dogs. J Pharm Sci. 1976 Jan; 65(1):60-4.
- Niazi S, Chiou WL. Fluorocarbon aerosol propellants. VI: Interspecies differences in solubilities in blood and plasma and their possible implications in toxicity studies. J Pharm Sci. 1975 Sep; 64(9):1538-41.
- Niazi S, Chiou WL. Fluorocarbon aerosol propellants IV: pharmacokinetics of trichloromonofluoromethane following single and multiple dosing in dogs. J Pharm Sci. 1975 May; 64(5):763-9.
- Niazi S, Chiou WL. Partition coefficients of fluorocarbon aerosol propellants in water, normal saline, cyclohexane, chloroform, human plasma, and human blood. J Pharm Sci. 1974 Apr; 63(4):532-5.
- Chiou WL, Niazi S. A simple and ultra-sensitive head-space gas chromatographic method for the assay of fluorocarbon propellants in blood. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol. 1973 Sep; 6(2):481-98.
- Chiou WL, Niazi S. Differential thermal analysis and X-ray diffraction studies of griseofulvin-succinic acid solid dispersions. J Pharm Sci. 1973 Mar; 62(3):498-501.
- Chiou WL, Niazi S. Phase diagram and dissolution-rate studies on sulfathiazole-urea solid dispersions. J Pharm Sci. 1971 Sep; 60(9):1333-338.
Books (partial list)
- Textbook of Clinical Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics. New Yokr: John-Wiley & Sons, 1979.
- The Omega Connection. Esquire Press, 1986.
- Wellness Guide. Lahore, Pakistan: Ferozsons Publishers, 2002.
- Love Sonnets of Ghalib. New Delhi, India: Rupa & Co., 2002.
- Love Sonnets of Ghalib. Lahore, Pakistan: Ferozsons Publishers, 2002.
- Filing Patents Online: A Professional Guide. New York: CRC Press, 2003.
- Handbook of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Formulations, Vol. 1-6 (1st ed.). New York: CRC Press, 2004.
- Handbook of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Formulations, Vol. 1-6 (2nd ed.). New York: CRC Press, 2009.
- “Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Modeling in Early Drug Development” in Charles G. Smith and James T. O'Donnell (eds.), The Process of New Drug Discovery and Development (2nd ed.). New York: CRC Press, 2004.
- Handbook of Preformulation: Drugs, Botanicals and Biological Pharmaceutical Products. New York: CRC Press/Informa, 2006.
- Handbook of Bioequivalence Testing. New York: Informa, 2007.
- Textbook of Biopharmaceutics and Clinical Pharmacokinetics. Hyderabad, India: The Book Syndicate, 2010.
- Wine of Passion. Lahore, Pakistan: Ferozsons Publishing, 2010.
- Wine of Love. New Delhi, India: Rupa & Co., 2011 (in press).
- Handbook of Disposable Bioprocessing Systems. Florida: CRC Press, 2011 (in press).
- Water of Life. Tehran, Iran: University of Tehran Press, 2012 (in preparation).
- Man and His Universe: Deconsctructing Human Perception of Reality. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2012 (in preparation).
- 6,555,118 Pharmaceutical preparation for the treatment of topical wounds and ulcers
- 6,495,174 Herbal composition for the treatment of alopecia
- 6,462,083 Suppository base
- 6,447,820 Pharmaceutical composition for the prevention and treatment of scar tissue
- 6,419,963 Composition and method for the treatment of diaper rash using natural products
- 6,365,198 Pharmaceutical preparation for the treatment of gastrointestinal ulcers and hemorrhoids
- 6,338,862 Composition and method of use in treating sexual dysfunction using cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors
- 6,312,735 Method for instantaneous removal of warts and moles
- 6,251,421 Pharmaceutical composition containing psyllium fiber and a lipase inhibitor
- 6,235,796 Use of fluorocarbons for the prevention of surgical adhesions
- 6,235,314 Analgesic, anti-inflammatory and skeletal muscle relaxant compositions
- 4,639,368 Chewing gum containing a medicament and taste maskers
- 4,530,936 Composition and method for inhibiting the absorption of nutritional elements from the upper intestinal tract