I’m Mayo Fuster Morell. I was born in Oliva (Valencia), a small town in front of the Mediterranean sea, now my base is in Barcelona, but I intermittently move between Valencia, Rome, Florence, Berkeley and Amsterdam.
In Wikipedia EN, I follow the social movements, online communities, common-base peer production, and social forums related articles. I was voluntered in the Wikimedia Foundation in December 2008. In Wikimedia, I am member of the Research Comitte of the Wikimedia Foundation and I am member of Viquipedia Amical (to be complited the formal processes to become a member) and Wikimedia Italy.
Apart from loving Wikipedia and Wikimedia universe, I had developed research on Wikipedia and also organize activities in order to increase the exchange and collaboration on Wikipedia research.
- I did a PhD (open access) research on "The governance of digital commons: Provision of platforms of participation online". Wikimedia governance was one of my case studies. In this analysis, I developed a comparative research on the Governance of Wikimedia combining qualitative and quantitative methods of analyses.
- I organised a seminar on Wikipedia research at the School of information - UC Berkeley based on building a dialogue between practitioners and researchers in December 2008.
- I was part of the Symposium Committee of Wikisym - the International Symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration 2010, contributing to expand the Symposium to areas linked to socio-political research of open collaboration
- I did a presentation on The governance of digital commons: Wikimedia Governance Case Study at Wikimania 2009 and on Wikipedia eco-system governance: Power embedded in the governance infrastructure at Wikimania 2010; plus, co-organised two other activities on the State of the art of Wikimedia Scholarship and on the formation of an international Free culture movement.
- I also organized the International forum on free culture and digital rights that took place the first time in October 2009 and the second time in October 2010, in both occasions in Barcelona. I tried to build connexions between the free culture movement and wiki universe.
- I am collaborating in a research project with the Berkman center and Science Po on the "Microfoundations and Dynamics of Online Interactions and Behavior". Wikipedians is one of the target of online users (but not the only one) of the project.
- I organized, together with other friend of Viquipedia Amical, an event on Wikipedia and reseaech in occasion of the 10th anniversari of Wikipedia and Viquipedia el 15th Marc at Barcelona.
More recent activities and works on Wikipedia:
Selection board of the Wikimedia France Research Award http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikimedia_France_Research_Award
Collaborating with WikiWoman http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:WikiWomen%27s_Collaborative
- Active Aging, citizenship & participation http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Active_Aging,_citizenship_%26_participation
- Dynamics of Online Interactions and Behavior: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Dynamics_of_Online_Interactions_and_Behavior
- Laniado, D., Castillo, C., Kaltenbrunner, A., Fuster Morell, M. (2012) Emotions and dialogue in a peer-production community: the case of Wikipedia. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration, WikiSym'12. Linz. Retrieved from http://airwiki.ws.dei.polimi.it/images/b/b7/Emotions_and_dialogue_in_Wikipedia_2012.pdf
- Fuster Morell, M. (2011). The Wikimedia Foundation and the Governance of Wikipedia's Infrastructure: Historical Trajectories and its Hybrid Character. In Lovink, G., Tkacz, N. & Roberts, I. (eds). Critical Point of View Reader, Amsterdam: Institute of Network Cultures, 2011. Retrieved from http://www.networkcultures.org/_uploads/ %237reader_Wikipedia.pdf
- Aibar, E., & Fuster Morell, M. (ed.). (2012). Special issue: Wikipedia research. Introduction. Journal Digithum: Les humanitats en l'era digital. Retrieved from http://digithum.uoc.edu/ojs/index.php/digithum/
- Fuster Morell, M. (2011). The Unethics of Sharing: Wikiwashing. In W. Sützl & F. Stalder (Ed.). International Review of Information Ethics: Special issue: Ethics of Sharing. Vol. 15 September 2011. Retrieved from http://www.i-r-i-e.net/inhalt/015/015-Morell.pdf
- Fuster Morell, M. (2011, October). Rethinking government in the light of the emerging organisational principles of online collective action. In E. Aibar (Ed.) European Journal of ePractice. No 12. ISSN: 1988-625X. (pp. 81-93)
- Fuster Morell, M. (2011). Book review: Reagle, J. R. (2010) 'Good Faith Collaboration: The Culture of Wikipedia'. MIT Press: Cambridge. Journal Information, Communication and Society. Routledge. ISSN: 1369-118X. Impact factor: SCImago Journal & Country Rank: Social Sciences (MIiscellaneous) Q1. Communication Q2. H INDEX: 12. SCImago Journal & Country Rank (SJR): 0.045 (2010). Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1369118X.2011.602092
- Fuster Morell, M. (2010). La participazione nella comunità di creazione online. Participazione come eco-sistema. I casi di Openesf.net i Wikipedia. Politica dil dirito. Il Molino nº: 2, September 2010 (Italy). (pp. 515-544). Impact factor: Journal Indexed in DoGi-Dottrina Giuridica, Articoli italiani di periodici accademici (AIDA), Catalogo italiano dei periodici (ACNP).
Presentations and events organizing:
- Panel organizing with Research Committee Wikimedia Foundation. Wikipedia and research: a Love and hate relationship. Wikimania 2012, Washington, July 12 to 15 of July 2012.
- Chair panel and presentation. “Wikipedia & Research: The innovative character of Wikipedia reserach and the new challenges (and opportunities) associated with it”. OKCon – The Open Knowledge Conference. 30th June & 1st July, 2011 Berlin. http://okcon.org/2011/programme/wikipedia-research- the- innovative-character-of-wikipedia- research-and-the-new-challenges-and-opportunities-associated-with-it
- Fuster Morell, M. (2009). The governance of digital commons: Wikipedia case study. Democracy 2.0. Institutions, citizens and new networks: A potential lexicon. International workshop organized by Regional Government of Emilia Romagna (Italy). Auditorium Enxo Biagi, Bologna (Italy).
- Fuster Morell, M. (2009). Methodological and theoretical challenges and potentials of studying participation in online communities for the building of digital commons: Wikipedia and the Social Forums. Panel: New approaches to the study of protest and transnational social movements Conference Shaping Europe in a Globalized world. Zürich. From 23th to 26th June 2009.
- Fuster Morell, M. (2011). Presentation “Wikipedia and other online creation communities”. Mediaccions seminar. 26 February 2011. IN3 – Open University of Catalonia. http://mediacciones.es/seminari- mediacciones-cinema-digital-y- wikipedia/
- Fuster Morell, M. (2008). Online Communities Governance: Styles of democratic quality in knowledge-making processes resulting from a large-N analysis and preliminary results on Wikipedia case study. Presentation Faculty Discussions. School of information. University of Berkeley. 19th November 2008.
E-mail: mayo.fuster (at) eui.eu