User:Mabalu/Red carpet fashion in the 2000s
Academy Awards (March 23)
For the 55th Emmy Awards, held 21 September, Sarah Jessica Parker's strapless pink chiffon Chanel dress was rated 9th best dress of the decade by InStyle, who called it "fabulous" and "a pink meringue souffle".
Golden Globe Awards (January 25)
Gwen Stefani chose a high necked white Valentino column dress which InStyle rated 6th best dress of the decade, applauding Stefani for "going against the grain" and choosing "the most unlikely dress of the night".
Academy Awards (February 29)
For the 76th Academy Awards Hilary Swank wore a navy blue backless dress by Herve Leroux for Guy Laroche which was ranked 16th in the 2008 Debenhams poll and revived interest in the design house's work. In 2008, Cosmopolitan magazine praised this gown as an improvement on the pink gauze dress Swank wore in 2002, and also applauded Angelina Jolie's white satin Marc Bouwer dress.
Academy Awards (February 27)
For the 77th Academy Awards Cate Blanchett wore a yellow silk taffeta dress with a single shoulder strap by Valentino, which Cosmopolitan declared in 2008 to be one of the best Oscar dresses of all time. Two dresses by John Galliano for Christian Dior also attracted attention. Charlize Theron's pale blue ruffled net dress and Gisele Bündchen's Empire line white gown were rated 14th and 17th greatest red carpet gowns respectively in the Debenhams poll. Bündchen's gown, with its high waist and billowing skirt, led to incorrect speculations that she was pregnant.
Academy Awards (March 5)
For the 78th Academy Awards two Vera Wang gowns worn by Keira Knightley and Michelle Williams attracted admiration. Knightley's eggplant-coloured taffeta dress was rated 6th in the 2008 Debenhams poll, whilst Cosmopolitan praised Williams's saffron yellow chiffon and tulle gown. For Williams's dress, Wang indulged her passion for haute couture technique and detail, working closely with the actress and creating many sketches and a full toile before the low necked, dramatically ruffled gown was created. Knightley's dress was subsequently donated to an Oxfam charity auction, raising $7,900.
Academy Awards (March 7)
- Urmee Khan (9 October 2008). "Liz Hurley 'safety pin' dress voted the greatest dress". The Telegraph. Retrieved 1 May 2011.
- Battle, Bella (27 February 2012). "The Oscars frocky horror show". The Sun. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- "Oscars Best and Worst Dressed". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 24 May 2011.
- Rubenstein, Hal. "100 Best Dresses of the Decade #1 Kate Hudson in Versace". InStyle. Retrieved 16 June 2012.
- "100 Best Dresses of the Decade #9 Sarah Jessica Parker in Chanel Couture". InStyle. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Pugh, Clifford (27 January 2004). "Fashion glows at Golden Globe Awards". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "100 Best Dresses of the Decade #6 Gwen Stefani in Valentino". InStyle. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Moore, Booth (8 March 2005). "That French aesthetic, with a Hollywood twist". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "Best Oscar Dresses: Gisele Bundchen in Christian Dior". InStyle UK. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- "100 Best Dresses of the Decade #7 Jessica Alba in Dolce & Gabbana". InStyle. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Krohn, Katherine E. (1 September 2008). Vera Wang: Enduring Style. Twenty-First Century Books. p. 41. ISBN 978-1-58013-572-6. Retrieved 25 May 2011.