|Babel user information|
|Users by language|
I'm Marc Miquel-Ribé. I'm from Igualada, a small city near Barcelona. I hold a doctorate in Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Human-Computer Interaction. I did a non-paid PhD research on Wikipedia for multiple reasons, but mainly because I am very interested in understanding better the Editor Engagement and the Cultural Diversity of the project.
I am occasionally an editor and I give support to free knowledge and open code.
I have been involved in learning about the Wikipedia communities and I had the chance to write about them and attend to several events. Here I list some of them.
- Co-author with [Mure] of the Fourth Survey to Catalan Wikipedia Users (Editors and Readers) with more than 700 answers. The results were presented as a poster (pdf) in the event about Wikipedia research Wikiacademy 2012 (Berlin).
- Presentation at the annual Wikipedia global event, Wikimania (Haifa 2011), on the ethnocentric point of view of each Wikipedia language edition.
- Collaboration at the events Building Digital Commons in Barcelona(29-30th October 2011) as a speaker on the sociological profile of a Wikipedian and the events of the Viquipèdia (Catalan Wikipedia) 10th Anniversary.
- Study of the effect of Cultural Identities in Wikipedia Content: "Cultural Identities in Wikipedias", by Marc Miquel and David Laniado, in London, July 12th 2016. I found out that almost 25% the content of every Wikipedia language edition is about the language, territory and national related topics.
- Study of the different local content characteristics in several languages: "Cultural Configuration of Wikipedia: measuring Autoreferentiality in Different Languages" RANLP 2011 in Bulgary, September 12-14th 2011.
If you want to collaborate in any project regarding User Experience or Wikipedia, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.
E-mail: marcmiquel (at) marcmiquel.com