|— Wikipedian —|
August 29, 1993 |
St. Louis, Missouri
|Current location||Columbia, Missouri|
|Education and employment|
|High school||Webster Groves High School|
|University||University of Missouri|
|Filemover, Autopatrolled, Rollback, Reviewer|
Hi. I'm Marcus. I am an undergraduate studying German and History at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri. I am a photographer, amateur cyclist and civil rights activist. I love disruptive technology, and I help write about startups that are doing cool things. I am an cycling enthusiast, a university student and an amateur photographer.
My interests on Wikipedia consist of ground combat vehicle technologies, aerial warfare, Pentagon acquisitions and U.S. military actions abroad.
I've been to six St. Louis-area meetups and to Wikimania 2012 in Washington, D.C. I was the St. Louis representative for the now semi-defunct Wikimedia United States Coalition. I remain a contact for the St. Louis region and WikiProject Missouri.
I currently shoot with a Canon EOS 7D/whatever I can get my hands on and a couple of primes. I edit with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Photoshop. I attend a lot of speaking and sporting events at my university so I tend to have access to a lot of subjects. And just a really quick note about my software preferences: I edit almost exclusively from Google Chrome on Windows 10 and Chrome OS.
- Favorite articles
These are entries I have contributed to extensively, either by starting them or growing them.
- Mars 2020 (rover) - NASA follow on to Curiosity.
- Pinterest - fourth-largest social network in the U.S., 27th most popular website in the world, created Aug. 2011.
- Snapchat - Self-destructing photo-messaging app. Created Oct. 2012.
- Edmodo - Largest educational social network by my count. Created Feb. 2011.
- Mobli - The future Instagram of video? Created Aug. 2012.
- Lockerdome - Formerly sports-themed social network based in St. Louis. Created Oct. 2012
- Fiverr - Task marketplace where everything is US$5. Created Apr. 2011.
- Vine - Twitter's foray into social video. Created Jan. 2013.
Me in the news: Top Wikipedia Editor Is A St. Louis High School Student, Rock Hill teen is prolific Wikipedia editor,[dead link] Did a 15-year-old define your multi-million dollar brand before you did? I was also one of five editors interviewed for the Stanford student paper "Wikipedia: nowhere to grow."
In November 2015 I filmed a confrontation between a student social movement and journalists that received over 2.7 million plays and national media coverage. ‘I Need Some Muscle’: Missouri Activists Block Journalists – The New York Times
Myrlie Evers-Williams, civil rights activist
Greta Christina, atheist blogger
Cara Santa Maria, science communicator
Hemant Mehta, atheist blogger and author
PZ Myers, biologist
Frank Warren, creator of PostSecret.
Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO).
Chris Mooney, science journalist
University of Missouri chancellor R. Bowen Loftin