THE SUM OF THEIR NATIONAL IDENTITY IS THIS...........
|“||The sentimental significance of the use of Spanish as its binding cultural tie;
The belief in the integrity of the individual based upon an inner worth, unrelated to worldly status or accomplishment;
- — S. Mintz
At its core is a feeling that
The Island is a socio-cultural entity,which must be solved in Insular terms.
That It functions as a unit,
And that It has problems— Steward
Ricardo E. Alegría wrote:
"Among the values that characterize us as a people are:
- our deep sense of humanitarianism, expressed in the national habit of compassion for the less fortunate;
- a deeply rooted conviction of human equality, manifested in our racial mixing and exemplary social coexistence;
- a constant tendency towards justice, the basis for our love of democracy and freedom;
- a vocation for peace which has made our people one of the most civilized in the world;
- a devotion to culture [that] is grounded in the centuries-old Puerto Rican interest of schooling and education, and
- a tradition of simplicity, which enables us to recognize and value spontaneously all that is good, noble, and great in other peoples."
The Signpost: 14 May 2014
- Investigative report: Hong Kong's Wikimania 2013—failure to produce financial statement raises questions of probity
- News and notes: 'Ask a librarian'—connecting Wikimedians with the National Library of Australia; watch 'Cracking Wikipedia'
- Featured content: On the rocks
- Traffic report: Eurovision, Google Doodles, Mothers, and 5 May
- WikiProject report: Relaxing in Puerto Rico
- Technology report: Technology report needs editor; Media Viewer offers a new look