The SIX is an up-and-coming writer's group based out of the greater Salt Lake area in Utah. Members of the group include published and soon-to-be published authors of various genres of fictional works including young adult, romance, sci-fi, paranormal, fantasy, and mystery/thriller. The SIX has gained much notoriety as of late and is looking to expand their influences through seminars and conferences, including the possibility of a writer's conference cruise, the financing of which will come from a grassroots effort to abolish the discussion of boobies.
Members of The SIX include (in order of crazy):
|Brodi Ashton||Ledger Keeper||September 18, ????||-|
|Emily Wing-Smith||Cruise Director and Head Cheerleader||October 14, ????||-|
|Bree Despain||Hair Consultant and Nutritionist||January 13, 1979||-|
|Kim Webb Reid||Secretary||April 22, 1980||-|
|Valynne Maetani Nagamatsu||Secretary of Defense (or simply 'The Bouncer')||January 19, ????||-|
|Sara Bolton||Sartorial Advisor||February 3, 1980||-|
The SIX originated as The THREE, though they originally had no official title, back in 2005 and included founding members Emily Wing Smith, Kim Webb Reid and Bree Biesinger Despain. The THREE originally met as college students attending Brigham Young University in Louise Plummer's class, Writing the Young Adult Novel. Sara Bolton was the next to join the group. Sara attended high school with Kim and went on to major in Journalism at the University of Idaho, but rediscovered her love of creative writing after college. Following Sara, Valynne Maetani Nagamatsu, who is a neighbor of Bree's, joined the group. Valynne, who attended the University of Pennsylvania, wrote a novel for her sister sister as a birthday present. She then approached Bree for some writing tips and eventually joined the group as an official member. Brodi Ashton finally joined the group after meeting sister author Bree at a writer's conference for the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators, where they discovered they had the same agent (Ted) and spent 45 minutes eating someone else's sushi. Once Brodi joined the group, The SIX became solidified as an elite writing critique group and are preparing to take the literary world by storm.
The spouses of The SIX are not important enough to be mentioned here by name, but include a lawyer, an entrepreneur, a software developer, a software tester/Al Bundy, an engineer and a self-proclaimed Metrosexual.
The SIX are beginning to be an influential writing circle among their peers and their fame have spread as far away as Georgia. They regularly attend writing conferences in around the Salt Lake City area. Bree and Emily have already published books and are in the process of writing their sophomore volumes. Kim and Brodi both have finished manuscripts and have books out on submission with their agents. Sara and Valynne are both in the process of writing and polishing their manuscripts and will be looking for agents.
Books by The SIX
- It's Brynne's birthday, but because it is June, Brynne is confused when her Grandma hands her a package decked in holiday bows. Out spills fabric of green and red—a birthday gift for her and a Christmas gift for a child in a far away land. Each day Brynne goes to Grandma's house to learn to quilt, and as they sew, Grandma tells Brynne of Christmases past, including the first when a baby was born in a lonely stable. But Brynne's parents have a Christmas surprise of their own—the quilt she is making is for her new baby brother!
- When sixteen-year-old Joel Espen dies of thirst on a Boy Scout hiking trip, it shakes the small town of Haven, Utah to its socially conformist foundation. And the six teens who were closest to Joel start to view their community--and themselves--in a new light.
- With his uncanny sensitivity and boundless heart, Joel made people love him. Now that he's gone, the ones he left behind are coping with their immense loss. His older, "crazy" sister pours her grief into a blog, while his younger sister runs away to New York. One friend is consumed by anger and revenge, while another discovers who she really is. Two learn to be true to their hearts--and all question who they are and what they've become.
- Told from six heartbreaking perspectives on love, loss, and faith, this is the poignant story of how the life--and death--of one teen can have a profound effect on the lives of many.
- Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.
- The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.
- The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.
- Amazon.com: The Christmas Memory Quilt (9781934393000): Kimberly Webb, Jennifer Gaskin: Books
- Amazon.com: The Way He Lived (9780738714042): Emily Wing Smith: Books
- Amazon.com: The Dark Divine (9781606840573): Bree Despain: Books
- Emily Wing Smith
- Bree Biesinger Despain
- Brodi Ashton
- Kimberly Webb Reid
- Valynne Maetani Nagamatsu
- Sara Bolton