All free media should be at Commons. This is more easily said than done.
- The white area : Obviously free files with proper source, permission etc should be properly moved to Commons.
- The black area : The obvious non-free files should either be marked as fair use or nominated for deletion.
- The gray area : Is going to suck in all of our time (Pareto principle)
Two approaches working side by side:
- Work on old files:
- Do cherry picking (by uploader, by category, etc) to quickly and properly transfer lots of free files
- Hunt down obvious unfree files (for example User:MGA73/No license)
- Leave the questionable files be for the moment, these will seriously slow down the whole process
- Work on new files:
- First get of the obvious unfree files
- Properly transfer the obvious free files
- Check the remaining files
A lot of uploaders already started uploading to Commons instead of uploading to their local Wikipedia's. Are you one of them?