"A pig's snout is NOT an electrical outlet." - Taken from a fortune cookie
Hello, I'm ONUnicorn. I've been editing Wikipedia off and on since 2006. I've been using this screen name various places on the internet since 1998. It's a combination of ONU (for Olivet Nazarene University, my alma mater) and Unicorn because unicorns have always been my favorite animal (real or mythological). Of course, this is no guarantee that someone using this screen name someplace else is me, but it probably is.
I'm currently in law school part time and working full time, so my availability to edit Wikipedia fluctuates.
I'm one of those people who is interested in just about everything. I love to learn new things, and to regurgitate things that I have recently learned. As a result, I edit articles in a wide variety of topics. When I stumble across an article that I think could be better I enjoy making it better.
I studied French in school, and can stumble through some basic translation, but I'm no where near fluent. I have edited French Wikipedia a little, but not much. I also have made some contributions to the Simple English Wikipedia. It's a fun challenge to limit myself to the word-lists. I have uploaded a few pictures to Commons, but there are FAR better photographers out there.
I've got some userboxes at the bottom of this page. They are organized by wikipedia activities, educational achievements, about me, grammar, miscellaneous, and ones that are just silly or fun. If you have any questions or want to know anything else about me, feel free to ask me on my talk page.
Old editor review can be found here.
- 1 Articles I am especially proud of my contributions to
- 2 Articles that I have started
- 3 My Images
- 4 Work in progress
- 5 Notes to self
- 6 Userboxes
Articles I am especially proud of my contributions to
Did You Knows
|On 26 February 2015, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article Hammerton Killick, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that in 1902, Admiral Hammerton Killick went down with his ship during a civil war waged in support of Anténor Firmin's bid to become president of Haiti? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/Hammerton Killick. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
|On 30 June 2015, Did you know was updated with a fact from the article Holland's Magazine, which you recently created or substantially expanded. The fact was ... that Holland's Magazine was influential in securing the passage of a pure food law in Texas? The nomination discussion and review may be seen at Template:Did you know nominations/Holland's Magazine. You are welcome to check how many page hits the article got while on the front page (here's how, live views, daily totals), and it may be added to the statistics page if the total is over 5,000. Finally, if you know of an interesting fact from another recently created article, then please feel free to suggest it on the Did you know talk page.|
- Holland's Magazine A redlink in Ralph Pallen Coleman, which I found on New Page Patrol made me curious. So I researched and wrote an article on this. Was featured on the main page as a DYK.
- Souk Okaz - I found it on new pages patrol as a stub that had someone had tag-bombed. This is what it looked like when I found it. I did some research and after an hour or two this is what it looked like.
- Hammerton Killick - Started by Coolpug05, who then posted a couple places asking for people to help with the article. Cullen328 then found some sources for him and pasted them on the talk page, and as I read the stub of an article and then started to read the sources posted by Cullen, I became absolutely fascinated with this segment in Haitian history. I proceeded to largely re-write the article, and then to write a related article on the Crête-à-Pierrot, Killick's ship. I also intend to continue research in this area and further improve both those two pages and the pages of other players in that particular drama. It was featured on the main page DYK!
- Critical Mass (Catholic rock) - Most of the actual work on this article was done by Criticalmassjohn, but I helped and fought tooth and nail to save it from deletion.
- Wyandotte Caves - To start with, I thought I was writing an article from scratch to replace a copyvio. Then, when I was about half done with it, I discovered Wikipedia had an existing article on the topic. I merged the two articles and this is the result. It was even on the main page as a DYK!!!!
Fork in the road - Ok, so I added an image. Ok, so it's a rather dumb little image. But... I made it myself using paint! It was the first image I uploaded to Wikipedia. So what if it's a silly little paint image added to an obscure little article. I like it. I'm proud of it.Someone didn't think it added value to the article. A third opinion agreed. *sniff*
Barnstars & Awards
|The Invisible Barnstar|
|Thank you for your continued work and assistance on Wikipedia:Unreferenced articles, referencing and generally cleaning up articles that have needed attention for a long time. Your good work goes unseen unless someone disagrees ;) Jeepday (talk) 13:47, 13 September 2007 (UTC)|
|The Editor's Barnstar|
|This Barnstar is for the editing that you have done for the article Hammerton Killick! Enjoy! Coolpug05 (talk) 23:24, 4 March 2015 (UTC)|
|The Third Opinion Award|
|Thank you for your kindness and aide. — SanctuaryX (talk) 17:00, 8 April 2015 (UTC)|
|Silk Purse Award|
|I am both pleased and honored to present you with the Silk Purse Award in appreciation for your improvements to the Reza Shariffi article, to serve Wikipedia and its readers. Thank you. Schmidt, Michael Q. 14:04, 27 June 2015 (UTC)|
Articles that I have started
(Newest at top)
- J.M. Villars
- Holland's Magazine
- Purse party - due to an interesting personal experience...
- Autophobia - for my friend
- Dove Awards of 2004 - Several of these "Dove Awards of ____" articles haven't been made yet. I decided to work on them. I made this one. It was boring. Maybe someone else will make the rest. Might be something User:Rambot could do. Rambot's the one who made all the articles on small towns using census data.
- Ahmed Sofa - found it on New page patrol. It consisted of nothing more then a link to an article on the Bangledesh encyclopedia. I read the article there, then came back to find the one here speedied. I created it with some content.
- Boyds Bears - Someone asked for this on the Village Pump. I figured, why not?
- Indianapolis Capitals - Defunct Professional Hockey team. Needs expansion.
- Wyandotte Caves - I'm proud of this one. It was featured in a WP:DYK.
- Silvadene - a stub. The red-link in the article made me curious as to what precisely this was, so I looked up some information about it, and started the stub. It definitely needs expansion by someone with a medical background.
- Sublease - Saw Sub-tenant on the Wikipedia:Articles requested for more than a year page, thought it should redirect to sublease, realized there wasn't a sublease page, and made one. Little more than a dictionary definition right now. Could use expansion.
- Education in Brazil - Saw it on the Wikipedia:Articles requested for more than a year page. Thought it was silly that it didn't exist. Did what I could. Could still use expansion.
These are all self-made. All of these are on Commons. I have also uploaded one or two images to Wikipedia under fair-use claims.
Work in progress
Notes to self
- This page has links to categories of templates
- These are the ones to warn vandals with
- Here are the cleanup ones
- Here are the Citation templates
- Templates to put after non-English external links
- An incredibly useful thingy for converting miles to kilometers, meters to yards, etc
- Wikipedia:Categorical index
- How to make a wikitable
- Scienceresearch.com, a search engine that searches scientific journals.
- Newspaper search, a tool to search U.S. newspaper articles in select states from 1900-1910.
Wikipedia, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
|Search user languages|
|This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at