|“||How Hong Kong develops democracy in the future is a matter entirely within the sphere of Hong Kong's autonomy, and the central government cannot intervene.||”|
|— — Lu Ping, (as quoted in the People's Daily, 18 March 1993)|
|“||Rule of law means far more than just blind adherence to laws. In fact it can be said that overemphasis on the obey the law aspect of rule of law is the hallmark of a regime which is keen to use the law as a tool to constrain the governed rather than a means to constrain the way it governs. Such repeated notions of doing things according to law demean the law and deflect attention from the real issue: law only provides the minimum requirement to be fulfilled by any government||”|
|— Paul Shieh — chairman of the Hong Kong Bar Association, 12 January 2014 (full text here Archive)|
|This user account
mostly performs maintenance and style edits in mainspace. I follow only articles I had a major part in writing (and maybe not them all), but I also perform a small number of edits to a very large number of articles. You are therefore more likely to attract my attention with a message to my talk page or bug report pages.
For my gnoming work,
Most of the work of this account is done by a combination of non-production versions of the above, and the results obtained from the production version may vary. I also frequently make manual tweaks in the course of my script runs.
The various scripts work mainly on applying various provisions of WP:Manual of Style.
Strange though it may seem, I actually quite dislike ENGVAR and other rules that institutionalise or tolerate too many competing styles and formats. Wikipedia ought to determine what's right for it and its readers, and try not to borrow styles from various different sources just because they exist. We need to adopt a single überstyle that embrace greater commonality. I find tolerance of competing styles and language variants is terribly divisive because we dig a metaphorical cultural trench to replace a large geographical feature, creating many "wikighettoes" that may frighten and intimidate editors of another nationality. I would love for styles to be unified, but I just work with what we have.
Although I would prefer British and dmy, and have chosen to first attack dmy articles for reasons of productivity, I would be happy to apply my work to chasing US spelling and mdy dates should WP decide that's the way it has to be.
Aligning dates, even by script, is donkey work. What I find infinitely more enjoyable and rewarding is the writing of the script which I and others can use, but I cannot develop without being the prime user. Therefore, I welcome comments, criticism and bug reports that all contribute to the improvement of the script and therefore the 'pedia as a whole.Life would be a lot simpler with monoformats because we wouldn't have to do this manually – bots could be let loose to work on the 'pedia.
It's only a digression. I know WP is editor-driven and readers take second place; format unification isn't going to happen any time soon.
- User:Ohconfucius/AWB modules/dmy
- User:Ohconfucius/AWB modules/mdy
- User:Ohconfucius/AWB modules/Unlinking
- AWB code by Jarry to titlecase titles
- User:BattyBot/CS1 errors-dates
- Flags are being seriously abused on Wikipedia
- Post on Falun Gong editing. – The contents formed basis of my thoughts and arguments that later appeared as an essay summarising my experiences and the challenges I faced when editing Falun Gong, as well as a user analysis I conducted on several people who frequent Falun Gong articles. The essay was heavily redacted in response to concerns by removing any reference to individual users but was still forcibly deleted in violation of my First Amendment rights by User:EdJohnston pursuant to an AE case. The editor who consistently opposed me in my Falun Gong editing, opened the case seeking to have me topic-banned, but the case gained no traction that EdJ (and the abovementioned Falun Gong editor) took it upon themselves to resurrect it 123 times as "unresolved". It is worth noting that EdJ seemed inclined initially to close the case with no action but appears to have been badgered to attack my First Amendment rights. --¡digame! 04:24, 8 May 2015 (UTC)
- Wikipedia:Date formattings
- American and British English spelling differences
- Wikipedia:Naming conventions (use English)/Diacritics RfC
- Wikipedia:The Wikipedia Library
- Duplication detector
- Fuck You England. YouTube video