Picture of the Day
Title: The Sound of Music
Photograph: Toni Frissell, Restoration: Adam Cuerden
The Sound of Music is a musical play written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, based on Maria von Trapp's memoir The Story of the Trapp Family Singers. Set in Austria on the eve of the Anschluss in 1938, it tells the story of Maria, who takes a job as governess to a large family. She falls in love with the children, and eventually their widowed father, Captain von Trapp, and together they flee from Austria to escape the Nazis. Songs from the musical include "Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Do-Re-Mi", and the title song "The Sound of Music".
This picture shows actress Mary Martin with children in a 1959 publicity photo for the musical. In the movie version, the role was played by Julie Andrews.
• PPG is a recent changes patroller with Huggle and Twinkle
• PPG has a single unified login for accounts created after May 2008
In a related story PPG's cat grants requests for rollback.
My Significant Contributions
- Broke news about the two original people questioned 1
- Broke news about arrested arson suspect Raymond Lee Oyler both when he was regarded as "a person of interest" 2 and when he was officially charged (including court date and location) 3
- Added the information about the funeral service that will be held for the five fallen fire fighters 4
- Added the estimated dollar damage of fire 5
- Typed up most of the plot summary for the Dark Cloud 1 video game article and re-edited on occasion 12
Dunstan Baby Language
- Contributed to the first seven sections of article in its preliminary stages (The Theory, Words (Sound Reflexes), Criticism, DVD, About Priscilla Dunstan, See also, and External Links) 12
- Wrote the original version of the plot section shortly after the release of the game in September 2007 1
- Added an animated walk sequence of a man (Walk-Cycle.gif), created by myself.
Pronunciations: Abadan (help·info), Alborz (help·info), Christiane Amanpour (help·info), Nowruz (help·info), Persepolis (help·info), Shiraz (help·info), Shohreh Aghdashloo (help·info), Tehran (help·info)
Article One of the United States Constitution
California Gold Rush
Wikipedia:No original research
Wikipedia:Be bold in updating pages
In the News
Voyager 2 model
Laurence Olivier (1907–1989) was an English actor and director who, along with his contemporaries Ralph Richardson, Peggy Ashcroft and John Gielgud, dominated the British stage of the mid-20th century. He also played more than fifty roles in a long film career. In 1930 he had a West End success in Noël Coward's Private Lives. In the 1940s, together with Richardson and John Burrell, Olivier was the co-director of the Old Vic, building it into a highly respected company. From 1963 to 1973 he was the founding director of Britain's National Theatre, running a resident company that fostered many future stars. His own parts there included the title role in Othello (1965) and Shylock in The Merchant of Venice (1970). Among Olivier's films are Wuthering Heights (1939), Rebecca (1940), and a trilogy of Shakespeare films as actor-director: Henry V (1944), Hamlet (1948), and Richard III (1955). His later films included The Shoes of the Fisherman (1968), Sleuth (1972), Marathon Man (1976), and The Boys from Brazil (1978). (Full article...)
Sweet Nothings by Godward Feedback
About Persian Poet Gal
Persian Poet Gal
here, pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm a half Persian
) female born and raised in great sunny California
! I enjoy many things such as poetry
(obvious of course), reading
, playing video games
, light programming
, and just making a person's day better :). I used to be active at the Windows Movie Maker Forums
but now I have sort of semi-retired due to being crammed with my studies. I also contributed to "The Persian Page"
, a page devoted to implementing custom effects and transitions into Windows Movie Maker 2 using xml
which is hosted and now fully edited by "PapaJohn" Buechler
. I voluntarily patrol the "Recent Changes Page"
. While on patrol I keep on the lookout to make sure articles are free of vandalism
and abide by the Wikipedia Golden Rules
:P. I also help create Wikipedia Ads
for different WikiProjects, see this page
for details. Believe it or not I start new articles and edit pre-existing ones every now and then! So please feel free to mercilessly edit
any of my Wiki-Contributions just the same. I honestly feel there is always someone who can add a little extra ;). However, those not-so-nice
enough to vandalize
my page or anyone else's for that matter, it will not do you any good
. Thanks for reading a little bit about me :D!
Kind Users (Awards)
This section is not merely devoted to the awards I receive but to the users who take the time out of their day to reward others with such kindness. Thanks nice Wikipedians!