|This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at
"Wikipedia:The encyclopedia that anyone who understands the norms, socializes him or herself, dodges the impersonal wall of semi-automated rejection and still wants to voluntarily contribute his or her time and energy can edit." (From "Wikipedia losing editors, study says", phys.org)
Why is there information about me here? Because I'm very uneasy about anonymous editing. I understand why in some countries there are good reasons for editors to be anonymous. However, this doesn't apply to most regular editors on the English Wikipedia. In all blogs and wikis, anonymity appears to encourage aggression and abuse; Wikipedia is far from being an exception.
Having 'retired', I currently have an honorary position in the School of Computer Science at the University of Birmingham, UK – which is useful for Wikipedia editing since I can access journals for which the institution has a subscription. My interests outside computer science include:
- botany of all kinds
- gardening – as a plantsman rather than a designer
- natural history in general
- taxonomy – I studied zoology at University many years ago, and have maintained an interest in taxonomy through computational statistics, including numerical taxonomy.
Should you wish to know more about me, see my personal web site.
Wikipedia articles of interest to me
The purpose of these lists is to try to keep track of things I'm interested in.
Pages I started
- Articles created: lists articles (i.e. pages in article space) which I'm likely to continue to work on from time to time. (Various stubs, redirects, etc. are excluded.)
- Templates for a cladogram of the polysporangiophytes: Template:Clade polysporangiophyte, Template:Clade tracheophyte, Template:Clade panlycophyte, Template:Clade lycophyte, Template:Clade euphyllophyte
- Template:Period span/brief: template for a simpler display of the time range of a geological period,
- Template:Geological range/linked: template to display a geological range from the names of one or geological periods with these periods wiki-linked
- Template:Cladex, Template:Barlabel: templates to allow labelled brackets/bars to be added to cladograms to mark paraphyletic groups
- Template:Auto images: template to display one or more rows of images, each row scaled to the same height
- R templates:
Articles to which I've made a substantial contribution
- Alternation of generations
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (plus APG system, APG II, APG III)
- Asparagales and linked pages
- Kingdom (biology)
- Polysporangiophyte, Embryophyte
- Articles on early land plants: e.g. Aarabia, Cooksonia, Eorhynia, Horneophyton, Junggaria, Nothia, Pertica, Psilophyton, Zosterophyllopsida
- Binomial nomenclature
- Schlumbergera , Hatiora
- Fe'i banana
Other articles I'm interested in
- Any concerned with classification, particularly of eukaryotes: Kingdom (biology), eukaryote, chromalveolate, Archaeplastida, Algae, Tree of life (science), etc.
- Cladistics and related pages
- Botanical garden, Greenhouse, Orangery
- History of botany
- Natural history
- List of botanists by author abbreviation (I split up the list and created templates to make this easier):
Good article reviews I've done:
- Schizobasis is now in Drimia
- Plectranthus scutellarioides needs copy-editing
- Finish sorting out Papaveraceae! See User:Peter coxhead/Sandbox
- Acis and Leucojum
- Create Fritillaria eduardii using The Plantsman (New Series) 11(4), Dec 2012
- Expand Gladiolus dichrous using The Plantsman (New Series) 11(4), Dec 2012
- See Ornithogalum, The Plantsman (New Series) 11(1), Mar 2012
- See Kniphofia, The Plantsman (New Series) 12(1), Mar 2013
- Meconopsis if I can find the BSBI article
- Succulent is poor! Succulent_plant#Families_and_genera needs thorough checking for conformity to APG III
- Add how Schlumbergera is pronounced to the Schlumbergera article.
- Finish Roscoea species:
Roscoea australis, Roscoea brandisii, Roscoea debilis, Roscoea ganeshensis,Roscoea nepalensis, Roscoea ngainoi, Roscoea schneideriana, Roscoea scillifolia, Roscoea wardii START, Roscoea × beesiana
- Expand Birmingham Botanical Gardens and Glasshouses
- Echinopsis mamillosa, Ferocactus pilosus, Schlerocactus papyracanthus, Mammillaria rekoi, Echinopsis candicans
- Veronica gentianoides
- Daphne needs expanding, plus species in cultivation
- Early Polysporangiophytes:
- Expand/check these articles as per User:Peter_coxhead/Work/Early_polysporangiophytes
- Split Streptophytina and Streptophyta.
- Eucrosia – expand species articles based on Meerow monograph
- Monophyly, Paraphyly and Polyphyly
- Consider whether a single article would be better