Jump to navigation Jump to search
A list of unusual histories of things, or, object/item/concept-centered histories.
- "The Box: how the shipping container made the world smaller and the world economy bigger" / Marc Levinson.
- "Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World" / Dan Koeppel
- "Color: A Natural History of the Palette" / Victoria Finlay
- "Salt: A World History" / Mark Kurlansky
- "Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World" / Mark Kurlansky
- "Spice: The History of a Temptation" / Jack Turner
- "The Toothpick: Technology and Culture" / Henry Petroski
- "The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance" / Henry Petroski
- One Good Turn: A Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw / Witold Rybczynski
This is as opposed to:
- "A Short History of Nearly Everything" / Bill Bryson