User:Rakbhima/Swami Sathyananda Saraswathi
||This is not a Wikipedia article: It is an individual user's work-in-progress page, and may be incomplete and/or unreliable.
For guidance on developing this draft, see Wikipedia:So you made a userspace draft. This draft was last edited five years ago .
Jagadguru Swami Sathyananda Saraswathi or Swamiji was an Indian saint and Self-realised master of the highest order and the founder of Sree Rama Dasa Mission[www.srdm.org].He was an exponent,a rare confluence of the 4 spiritual paths-Jnana Yoga,Bhakti Yoga,Raja Yoga and Karma Yoga, a veritable treasure of Divine wisdom,an ecstasic devotee of the Divine mother goddess,a yogi par excellence and the greatest karmayogi to uphold Sanatana Dharma since Swami Vivekananda.
He was a poet, an ispiring orator, historian & religious scholar of great philosophical depth whose emphasis has been on the scientific interpretation of religion to highlight the essence and the true scientific spirit behind it. He is known for his zealous efforts for the cause of Hindu unity in India and at international level. He conducted the Sathakoti Archana(1 Billion Holy Names of the Divine Mother) in Thiruvananthapuram in the millennium year 2000 which was characterised by many miracles including the Holy Descent of the Divine Mother as luminous light on the concluding day which was recorded by scientists and scholars of International repute using instruments like Kirlian Camera,Tonograph,Aura camera etc.
He is the founder of Hindu Aikya Vedi and remained its chairman till his Samadhi and founded more than 13 institutions in India and abroad,He is the visionary behind Punnyabhoomi World Hindu Newspaper.
Swamiji was born Shekharan Nair on the 22nd of September,1935 in the Mangalath Tharavad,a Hindu noble family near Panimoola Devi temple,Andoorkonam, near Thiruvananthapuram(Trivandrum) the capital of the erstwhile Travancore.
Swamiji was a spiritual child and exceptionally gifted as noted by his contemporaries. He was an excellent student, a gifted poet, orator par excellence and a promoter of classical arts. Even at a very young age , he developed a strong spiritual earnest and had an inborn spiritual disposition that flowered as he grew up.
At the age of 8, Swamiji started reciting Sreemad Bhagavatham of Thunchaththu Ramanujan Ezhuthachan, the father of Malayalam literature. He memorized the Vishnu Sahasranama before he was 5 & realised Lord Krishna at the age of 9.
He was inspired by the writings of Swami Vivekananda and Subhash Chandra Bose. When in the fifth standard, an inexhaustible desire to take Sannyas entered His young mind.
Swamiji graduated in Economics and History from Mahatma Gandhi College and took a Bachelor of Education degree from the University College, Trivandrum and Studied Philosophy for Post-graduation but did not write the exams as per his guru’s wishes.
During college days, he actively participated in extracurricular activities. He was always a topper academically, as well as in elocutions and essay-competitions. As a universitry student,he organised a symposium on ‘Kumaran Asan] and his Doctrine of Love’ was organised by Him.
He was involved in ‘Sarvodaya’ activities at the age of 18. He met Shri Kelappan, the Sarvodaya leader. Swamiji was an avid reader of Gandhian literature and participated in the Gramadan, Geevadan programmes. He held responsible positions in ‘Shanti Sena’ at the national level. He also render valuable service to the weak and downtrodden sections of society.
While he was working as an English master at a High School,he was summoned to the Ashram on the eve of his proposed departure to the Himalayas by Sree Neelakanta Gurupadar,a 20th century mystic hermit ,a veritable treasure ofVedic wisdom who was known for his intense, incessant and penetrating penance yet spending an ordinary life clad in a short peace of dhoti for 45 years, never stepping out of the 14 cent ashram.
He was initiated in to Sannyasa & trained by his guru who spoke very little and communicated through symbolism and eye-movements.The ever-attentive disciple fulfilled every duty in an impeccable manner. During the 3 years of close association with Gurupadar, Swamiji attained spiritual and intellectual bliss. The Guru-Shishya relationship they had was a living example of Guru Gita and re- enaction of the blissful love between Sree Rama and Lord Anjaneya.
After the samadhi of his guru, he took the reins of a humble organization and single-handely built it into an organization of International Significance.
His Holiness performed fourteen-year-long penance on Sree Lalita Tripurasundari,the divine mother goddess with a rigorous regime of conducting poojas five times a day. Such an intensity of Sree Lalita Upasana has only been recorded in the live of Adi Shankara. His Holiness realised the Divine Mother. Since then, he has been engaged in the comprehensive uplift of the Indian society.
Swamiji registered Sree Rama Dasa Mission’s Universal Society with its motto ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’,in 1981.
Ignorant of the ancient greatness and profundity of the Hindu faith,the Hindus were being exploited by vested interests.Distorted versions of the classical texts were being circulated and studied,votaries were divided by politicians and places of worship were being attacked. Regretably,no politicians or intellectuals ever resented the concerted and continuous acts. It was against this background that Swamiji,stepped out of the Ashram to spearhead the movement against communal violence,intellectual subversion ,distortion of history and false propaganda against Indian heritage.
He played the key role in forging unity Hindu organizations in the state since the 1970s. He fought valiantly, leading marches and rallies against destruction of ancient temples, false propaganda and subversion about Indian Culture and mass religious conversions by giving false hopes to financially and socially backward people.
- In April 1983, in response to the desecration by communal miscreants of an ancient and sacred temple at Palukachimala Hill in Kannur, Swamiji organized a convention of Hindu Sannyasins from major organisations allover India and subsequently a procession of sannyasins was conducted for the first time in the history of free India, from North Kerala to Kanyakumari, (the land’s end of the Indian mainland.
Over 800 meetings were held on the way criticising the iconoclastic tendencies of vested interests. The event kindled the enthusiasm of all sections of the society.
- As the president of the Nilackal Action Committee and Swamiji restored the holy place for Ayyappa devotees near Sabarimala and amicably settled the dispute between Hindu and Christian religious groups.
- He played the key-role in Guruvayoor Temple Liberation Struggle and agitations against Devaswom Bill in 1996.
- Swamiji also ensured uninterrupted continuation of Gurupadar’s tradition of Parayanam (recitation) of entire Adhyatma Ramayana daily at the temple at Chenkottukonam for more than 8 decades and it still continues to this day.
- In 1989, He started the glorious, spiritual and beautiful Sree Rama Navami Rathyatra covering the southern States of India annually since then.
- Sree Rama Navami Hindu Maha Sammelan (over 12 days) at Trivandrum is carried out every year since 1991, which is a congregation of eminent scholars, pundits, orators and saints.Notable persons include Dr.Murli Manohar Joshi,RajmataVijayaraje Scindia,Sri Ramanand Sagar,Sri Sikander Bakht,Sri Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma,Swami Chinmayanadaji,Sri Ashok Singhal,Sri Sadananda Kakde,Sri P Parameswaran etc.
- Swamiji founded Manishi Herbal Research Foundation for excellence in Ayurveda Research and production. Swamiji Himself prescribed the formulations of many previously unknown and potent medicines, which are available through the Mission.
- S.R.D.M.U.S. MEDICAL MISSION was started by Swamiji so that doctors and researchers from all medical spheres (allopathic, ayurvedic, homeopathic, etc.) can provide relief to numerous suffering people in a charitable manner, organising free clinics, mobile dispensaries, and with plans for a super-speciality hospital. The mission carried out extensive work in Mumbai.(http://www.srdaramagiri.org/page10.html)
- RAMAGIRI ASHRAM AND THE VIRAAT-SWAROOPI HANUMAN PROJECT:
Swamiji envisaged the construction of a massive monument, i.e. A 521 foot Murti of Lord Hanuman covered by Panchaloha (5 metals), in Ramagiri, Maharashtra. This is predicted to become a world Hindu Centre with a massive hall for mass prayers, a Ramayana theme park, and holistic health centre, so that all people visiting may be reminded of our glorious cultural heritage, feel peaceful and be prayerful.The Ashram in Ramagiri is the only place to keep a lamp burning uninterrupted 24 hours a day, the jyoti (flame) being taken from Swamiji’s Samadhi in Kerala.
- JYOTIKSHETRAM-Temple of Luminance
A massive scientifically built spiritual nucleus already exists in the Ashram premises at Trivandrum in the form of a 108 foot high temple in the area where the Shatakoti Archana was performed. This was named “Jyotikshetra” by Swamiji as thousands of people were witness to a Divine Light in the sky at the culmination of the Shatakoti Archana in the year 2000. The temple was entirely designed by Swamiji and is a unique architectural achievement. Poojya Swamiji attained Mahasamadhi on the 24th of November, 2006. The centre of this temple now houses Swamiji’s Samadhi.
His mission worked for the Spiritual resurrection by putting an end to inequalities,caste-based discrimination in the Indian society and by his intelligent analysis of situations.
- Having ill will to none and compassion for all Swamiji he has given solace and happiness to the ailing and the unfortunate. More than 3000 alcoholics have been de-addicted at the ashram under His blessing.
- THE GREATEST ARCHANA IN WORLD HISTORY- 100 CRORE Chants - SATHAKOTI Archana:
In the year 2000, with the urgent need for World peace, Swamiji organized and carried out the unparalleled Shatakoti Archana (1 Billion Chants of Divine Mother’s Name - ‘Lalita Sahasranama Archana’), in which thousands of people devotedly chanted and prayed.The Last one had been conducted by Sage Vyasa at Naimisharanya in Dwapara yuga. 501 lamps (deepas) lighted from all of India’s well known temples were transported without being extinguished from all corners of the country, and people chanted whilst seated before these lamps. It was also the first time in India’s history that an entire train was chartered to ferry people to Trivandrum to chant the Lord’s name! It also commemorated the centenary of Guru’s birth (23rd December, 1900).(http://www.srdm.org/ska)
- Swamiji along with Vishwachaitanya Narayan Maharaj also conducted a VISHWA SHANTHI YAJNA of 200 Crore Shiva-Dattatreya Namas at Narayanpur, Pune in November-December 2000.( http://shree-kshetra-narayanpur.blogspot.com/2000/01/satakodi-archana-100-crore-chants-of.html)
Swamiji was awarded the Hindu of the Year 2000 citation by the Federation of Hindu Association (FHA), Los Angeles for the outstanding contributions for the protection and propagation of Sanatana Dharma. He is an Executive Member of the Kendriya Marg Darshak Mandal & Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas Manch.
Swamiji's paper on Elimination of Poverty at the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders at the United Nations was widely appreciated.(www.srdm.org/UNpeace.rtf)
With a unique Divine purpose and minimal fanfare, Swamiji conducted tours all over India and countries like USA, Canada, Singapore, Switzerland, Malaysia, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Suriname to spread His Guru’s message of Universal Brotherhood.
- He addressed the delegates on the Scientific Approach to religion at the World Hindu Conference at Madison Square Garden at New York in 1983.He pointed out the fact that the scientifically tempered and technology oriented modern youth could only be brought closer to religion and culture by scientific approach.This brought wide applause for him and resulted in his association with notable disciples like Rajmata Vijayaraje Scindia who approached him after the function for a detailed discussion.
He met various organisation heads and spoke to them on wide topics from religion to Vegetarianism,the most memorable encounter being with Neil Armstrong. He toured USA extensively for four months spreading the message of Sanatana Dharma and rejenuvating the faith in the minds of Americans as well as Indian diaspora.
- His Holiness delivered the keynote address at the World Hindu Conference 2000, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago in August 2000.
- Swamiji led the Indian delegates at the sessions on Elimination of Poverty at the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders at the United Nations, in August 2000.
- His Holiness inspired the formation of a Hindu forum for the transmission of the heritage and integration of the future generations to their culture. His Holiness inaugurated the first Kerala Hindu Convention of North America at Dallas, Texas in April 2001.
Swamiji also inaugurated the Second and Third National Conventions of the Kerala Hindus of North America in November 2003 and July 2005 respectively.(www.namaha.org) Since his Samadhi,the Venue of KHNA conventions have been named Sathyananda Nagar in his honour.
- He also inaugurated the Bengali Hindus Conference (America), and encouraged the various region-based organizations to work united.
Writings and Publications
H.H. is a poet and scholar of great philosophical depth. His poems are marked by their unusual rhythm and vivid imagination. His poetic expressions range from devotional hymns, couplets for children, to highly philosophical and mystical poems on Mother Goddess and Lord Krishna.
H.H has authored many books, articles, essays and pamphlets on various aspects of Hinduism. His emphasis has been on scientific interpretation of religion to highlight the essence and the true scientific spirit behind it.
H.H has completed a ten-volume commentary on The Adhyatma Ramayana bringing out the subtlest and most salient aspects of the epic hitherto uncovered by no scholar. He has magnificently brought to light the relevance of the Dharmic way of life, the noble concept of family, the brotherhood, the social order and the just polity inherent in the Rama Rajya (Utopia/the Kingdom of Rama) to the modern, strife-torn world.
"No religion should impede the freedom and growth of the innate humanism in man"
"HUMANISM OF THE WORLD"
"Humanism is the oneness and the uniqueness of pure consciousness that underlies the world: both animate and inanimate. To recognize and realize this truth is to harmoniously co-exist with fellow men, other living beings, Mother Earth and the Universe. Religious and secular dogmas that impede the free unfolding of human nature into Humanism and Universalism must be and shall be discarded into the dustbin of history. The artificial barriers like East-West, North-South, etc., conceived and perpetrated by the petty ego of man will disintegrate when the mankind discovers its true nature."
- Religion is the science that discovers the importance and independence of LIFE in the universe.
- Wealth can be gained, but not LIFE.
- The motto of religion is neither to negate nor to neglect, but to conceive and comfort.
- The role of religion is over when the law of unity is interpreted.
- Universe is the abode of service.
- Religion is the essence of universal service.
His Holiness attained Mahasamadhi on November 24,2006 at Thiruvananthapuram . The former Union Minister O. Rajagopal in his condolence message termed the Guru as a brave `Acharya'(teacher) who fought all his life for Hindu renaissance and Hindu unity. The condolence message from Sri Ashok Singhal,President of Vishwa Hindu Parishad International remembered Swamiji as an ‘Intellectual Kshatriya Sannyasi in the lineage of Swami Vivekananda,Swami Dayananda Saraswati and Maharshi Aurobindo.’ His mortal remains are housed in the sanctum-sanctorum at the Temple of Luminance in Chenkottukonam,Trivandrum.