Jump to navigation Jump to search
What Wikipedia is not: WP:! WP:NOT WP:WWIN
Picture of the day
- 1280 – Reconquista: Troops of the Emirate of Granada defeated those of the Kingdom of Castile and the Kingdom of León in the Battle of Moclín.
- 1594 – Anglo-Spanish War: During the Action of Faial, an English attempt to capture a Portuguese carrack, reputedly one of the richest ever to set sail from the Indies, caused it to explode with all the treasure lost.
- 1894 – Led by French historian Pierre de Coubertin (pictured), an international congress at the Sorbonne in Paris founded the International Olympic Committee to reinstate the ancient Olympic Games.
- 1982 – Chinese American Vincent Chin died after being beaten into a coma in Highland Park, Michigan, U.S., by two automotive workers who were angry about the success of Japanese auto companies.
- 2013 – A group of militants stormed a high-altitude mountaineering base camp in Gilgit–Baltistan, Pakistan, and killed 11 people; 10 climbers and one local guide.
In the news
- At least 192 people are feared dead as an overloaded tourist ferry capsizes in Lake Toba, Indonesia.
- In golf, Brooks Koepka wins the U.S. Open at the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club (pictured).
- At least twenty-one people die in a stampede after a tear-gas canister detonates in a Caracas nightclub.
- Saudi-backed troops begin an attack on Houthi forces in the port of Al Hudaydah, Yemen.
- In association football, FIFA awards hosting rights for the 2026 World Cup to a joint bid from Canada, Mexico, and the United States.
Free media repository
Wiki software development
Wikimedia project coordination
Free textbooks and manuals
Free knowledge base
Collection of quotations
Directory of species
Free learning materials and activities
Free travel guide
Dictionary and thesaurus