Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a temporary draft CV of User:Roozbeh. Please don't touch.
- 1 Personal Information
- 2 Job history
- 3 Education
- 4 Awards
- 5 Publications
- 6 Representations and Committee Memberships
- 7 International presentations (outside Iran)
- 8 Free software projects
- 9 Interviews and mentions in the media
- 10 Memberships
- 11 Skills
- 12 Hobbies
- First name: Roozbeh (روزبه)
- Family name: Pournader (پورنادر)
- Chief Technology Officer and Deputy Chairman, Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc., Tehran, 2004–present.
- Consultant for Persian Internationalized domain names, IRNIC, Institute for Studies in Theoretical Physics and Mathematics, Tehran, 2001–present.
- Consultant for standardization, Persian Language and Script Working Group, Iranian National ICT Agenda (TAKFA), 2002–present.
- Consultant for Linux and open source software, Advanced Information and Communication Technology Center, Sharif University of Technology, 2003–present.
- Developer, FarsiTeX Project Team, 1996–present.
- Head of Research and Development, Computing Center, Sharif University of Technology, 2003–2005.
- Project Manager, FarsiWeb project, Research and Development, Computing Center, Sharif University of Technology, 1999–2005.
- Consultant for standardization, Iran Book House (خانه کتاب ایران), 2004–2005.
- CEO and Deputy Chairman, Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc., Tehran, 2003–2004.
- Technical Manager, FarsiTeX Project Team, 1997–2004.
- Tutor, Amirkabir University of Technology preparation camp for ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, Tehran and Kish, 2002–2003.
- Consultant for scientific publications, Statistics Center of Iran, 1998–1999.
- Tutor, Iranian national preparation camp for International Olympiad in Informatics, Tehran, 1997–1999.
- Private Tutor, for preparation for the National Iranian Computing and Mathematics Olympiads, Tehran, 1994–1999.
- Web Developer, Rose-Net, Rose System, Tehran, 1999.
- Tutor, Allameh Helli High School, for preparation for the National Iranian Computing and Mathematics Olympiads, Tehran, 1995–1997.
- Private Tutor in high school mathematics, Tehran, 1994.
- Software Engineering, Computer Engineering Department, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, 1996–2002.
- High School Diploma in Mathematics and Physics, Allameh Helli High School, Tehran, Iranian National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents (NODET), 1993–1996.
- Mofid High School, Tehran, 1992–1993.
- Ayatollah Taleghani Middle School, Tehran, 1989–1992.
- Taghva Elementary School, Tehran, 1988–1989.
- 17 Shahrivar Elementary School, Tehran, 1986–1988.
- Shahid Kolahdooz Elementary School, finishing the first and second grades in one year, Tehran, 1985–1986.
- Special Recognition for contributions to the Iranian open source movement, by Nasrollah Jahangard, the special envoy of President Khatami in Information Technology matters, January 2005.
- 18th team rank in World Championship contest of ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, as a member of a team of three students (Sharif Seniors), Honolulu, Hawaii, March 2002.
- Regional Champion in ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, as the coach and a member of a team of three students, Asia region, Tehran site, November 2001 .
- Iranian record holder in the number of medals in scientific olympiads, with eight medals in international, regional, and national scientific olympiads:
- Gold medal, International Olympiad in Informatics, Veszprém, Hungary, 1996.
- Gold medal, Iranian National Computing Olypmiad, Yazd, Iran, 1995.
- Silver medal, Iranian National Mathematics Olympiad, Yazd, Iran, 1995.
- Silver medal, International Olympiad in Informatics, Eindhoven, the Netherlands, 1995.
- Gold medal, Iranian National Computing Olypmiad, Mashhad, Iran, 1994.
- Silver medal, Iranian National Mathematics Olympiad, Mashhad, Iran, 1994.
- Gold medal, the First Mathematics Olympiad of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO), Tehran, Iran, 1995.
- Gold medal and special recognition as the youngest medalist, Iranian National Mathematics Olympiad, Shiraz, Iran, 1995.
- Sixth rank in the first Provincial Mathematics Olympiad of Elementary Schools, Tehran province, Iran, 1989.
- Co-editor, National Iranian standard for computer keyboard layouts based on Unicode, to be published by ISIRI (Iranian national standards organization) in 2005.
- Co-author (with Michael Everson), "Computer Locale Requirements for Afghanistan", United Nations Development Programme and Ministry of Communications of Afghanistan.
- Co-editor, national Iranian standard ISIRI 6219, Information Technology – Persian Information Interchange and Display Mechanism, using Unicode , 2002.
- Author, "Catching up to Unicode", TUGboat, The Communications of the TeX Users Group, Volume 23, Number 1, 2002 Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2002, pages 80–85.
- Co-author (with Behdad Esfahbod), "FarsiTeX and the Iranian TeX community", TUGboat, The Communications of the TeX Users Group, Volume 23, Number 1, 2002 Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2002, pages 41–45.
- Technical and language editor, Pezhvak-e Andisheh (پژواک اندیشه), the scientific student magazine of Allameh Helli High School, 1996.
- Co-editor (with Ebadollah S. Mahmoodian), Mathematics Olympiad in Iran (المپیاد ریاضی در ایران), Volume 1, Sharif University of Technology Scientific Publishers, Tehran, 1996. ISBN 964-6379-41-9.
Standardization proposals for ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2
- "N2640: Revised proposal to encode the AFGHANI SIGN in the UCS", by Michael Everson and Roozbeh Pournader
- "N2581R2: Revised proposal to encode the ARABIC ZWARAKAY in the UCS" by Michael Everson and Roozbeh Pournader
- "N258A: Proposal to encode two COMBINING HEART characters in the UCS" by Michael Everson, Roozbeh Pournader, and John Cowan. (An April Fool's Day submission.)
- "N2568: Consensus on the name of U+FDFD", by Michael Everson, Roozbeh Pournader, Sarmad Hussain, and Muhammad Afzal
- "N2567: Towards resolution on the name of U+FDFD", by Michael Everson and Roozbeh Pournader
- "N2373: Proposal to add Arabic Currency Sign Rial to the UCS"
Representations and Committee Memberships
- Liaison Representative of the High Council of Informatics of Iran to the Unicode Consortium, March 2001–present.
- Committee member, Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) Project, Unicode Consortium, 2004–present.
- Voting representative of ISIRI to ISO/IEC SC2, the international standardization subcommittee for coded character sets, 2000–present.
- Expert, ISO/IEC SC2/WG2, the international standardization working group for the coded character set ISO/IEC 10646, 2003–present.
- Invited Expert, Technical Committee for Persian Language and Scripts in Computer Environments, TAKFA, 2002–present.
- Invited Expert, Language and Computers Commitee, Persian Academy, 2003–present.
- Invited Expert, Internationalization Interest Group, World Wide Web Consortium, 2001–2004.
- Invited Expert, Information Technology Committee, Iranian Standards and Industrial Research Institute (ISIRI), 2004.
- Invited Expert, Persian Script and Language in Digital Environments Commitee, TAKFA, 2002–2003.
- Invited Expert, Persian Domain Names Committee, TAKFA, 2002.
International presentations (outside Iran)
- "The Persian domain names project in IRNIC" (with Alireza Saleh), Internationalized Domain Names Workshop, ICANN meeting, Cape Town, South Africa, December 2004.
- "How many characters shall we allow?", Internationalized Domain Names Workshop, The Council of European National TLD Registries (CENTR), Frankfurt, Germany, May 2003.
- "What's happening in .ir regarding IDN", Internationalized Domain Names Workshop, The Council of European National TLD Registries (CENTR), Frankfurt, Germany, May 2003.
- Invited tutor for two short courses on collecting collation and sorting information and their standardization, Pan Localization Fundamentals of Local Language Computing Workshop, Lahore, Pakistan.
- "Unicode, the moving target", the 23rd Annual Meeting and Conference of the TeX Users Group, TUG 2002, Trivandrum, Kerala, India, September 2002.
- "FarsiTeX and the Iranian TeX community" (joint presentation with Behdad Esfahbod), the 23rd Annual Meeting and Conference of the TeX Users Group, TUG 2002, Trivandrum, Kerala, India, September 2002.
- "Major Technical Problems of Implementing Internet Names in the Arabic Script" (invited speaker), Arabic Internet Names Consortium, Tunis, Tunisia, April 2002.
- "Young Iranian Professionals Living and Working in Iran" (invited speaker), Between Tradition and Modernity: Iran's Younger Generation, The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, DC, March 2002.
Free software projects
- The FarsiWeb Project
- Persian localization coordinator, The GNOME Translation Project
- Co-maintainer (with Behdad Esfahbod), GNU Miscfiles, by appointment of Richard Stallman, November 2003–present.
- Co-maintainer (with Behdad Esfahbod), GNU FriBidi, by appointment of Richard Stallman, November 2002–present.
- Maintainer, FriBidi, March 2001–November 2002.
- FarsiWeb tools, including the first set of standard Persian fonts, standard keyboard drivers for different operating systems,
- Maintainer of stable branch, Omega, 2002–2003.
- Small contributions to several free software and open source projects, including:
- Pango and GTK: fixes and extensions for Arabic script modules, bug activity
- Mozilla: fixes to Arabic module, bug activity
- ICU: Locales for Persian, Pashto, and Uzbek
- GNU C library: Locales for Persian, bug activity
- Qt: X keyboard symbols to Unicode conversion, locale
- Fedora: bug activity
- Evolution: bug activity
- XFree86 and X.Org Server: locale data, bug activity
- Translating free software packages to Persian, including several GNOME packages, Firefox, KDE, and a few packages at the Translation Project
Interviews and mentions in the media
- "A National Plan: Persian Linux", by Behnam Behjat Marandi, TehranAvenue, June 2004.
- "Interview with Roozbeh Pournader", conducted by Arabeyes.org's Sabrine Oueja, December 2003.
- "Jahangard: Momentum for reaching the national operating system", January 16, 2005.
- "Persian Domain Names Project was presented in ICANN Meeting", ITIran, December 3, 2004.
- "Iranian users will soon be able to register Persian domain names", ITIran, July 24, 2004.
- "Linux's advantage is in control", ISNA, September 29, 2003. (My name is misquoted there as "روزبه نادر".)
- "Helping Afghanistan enter the digital world", by Sattar Saeedi, BBC Persian, 5 July 2003.
- GNOME Foundation
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Science and Arts Foundation, Tehran.
- Elected member of Students Guild Council, Computer Engineering Department, Sharif University of Technology, 2001.
- Founding member of the association of Tehran Allameh Helli High School Graduates, 1995–1997.
- Member of the Informatics Society of Iran, Tehran, 1995–1996.
- Internationalization and localization
- Persian language
- Locales in general
- Bidirectional writing systems
- Writing systems in general
- Fonts and font systems (OpenType on Microsoft Windows and Linux)
- Right-to-left scripts (Arabic, Hebrew, Avestan, Syriac, Pahlavi)
- Iran's languages (Persian, Azerbaijani, Kurdish, Arabic, Turkmen, Balochi, …)
- Arabic script (Persian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Pashto, Urdu, …)
- Afghanistan's languages (Persian, Pashto, Uzbek)
- Standards and standardization processes
- Text processing (Unicode, markup languages, flex, bison, …)
- Markup languages (TeX and LaTeX, HTML, XML, …)
- Packaging and customizing software and operating system (RPM, yum, …)
- Problem solving, programming, and scripting (in C, Python, PHP, Pascal, C++, bash, …)
- Software maintenance (with CVS, Bugzilla, …)
- Linux system administration
- Software quality assurance
- Database design and implementation
- Assembly language (80386, …)
- Internationalization and localization
- Natural languages:
- Persian: native language; complete fluency reading, speaking, and writing.
- English: studied since age six; skilled in reading and speaking; skilled in writing in several subjects, including computing.
- Arabic: studied since age ten; basic reading, listening, and writing.
- Very basic knowledge of French, Azerbaijani, and Latin vocabulary.
- Wikipedia: an administrator of the English Wikipedia since April 2004 and the founder of the Persian Wikipedia.
- Reading (science fiction, film and theatre scripts, modern literature, fantasy, Persian poetry, contemporary politics, satire, ...)
- Writing systems of the world
- Contemporary history