If in doubt, leave it out.
Consensus before contentious.
Science before stupid.
I was born in Rochford, Essex and spent most of my childhood in Ashtead, Surrey. Between 1988 and 2001, I worked as a videotape editor for a Wandsworth-based corporate video production company. Following an internet romance, I met and married an American web developer. I have been a part-time college instructor, web designer and something of a web standards evangelist. I volunteer my time at my local municipality to help promote our parks and walking trails.
Politics and religion
I am socially progressive, but fiscally somewhat conservative. From the liberal perspective I am pro-choice (although I'd rather see abortion avoided, of course), a secularist, and I believe strongly in free speech; however, I advocate minimizing the tax burden and reducing state intervention. Although I am generally in favor of small government, I believe there are some social support structures that are absolutely necessary and must not be compromised for the sake of low taxes (health care, education, social security, etc.). I would like to see a single-payer healthcare system in America. I dislike government corruption, lobbying and any kind of pork barrel politics. Most people would categorize me as an atheist because as I regard the concept of a god or gods to be ridiculous. I think that religion (particularly "organized" religion) does more harm than good, and should be actively discouraged.
On Wikipedia and Bias
Yes, I am biased. I have an opinion on a great many things, even stuff I don't know much about. Mostly, I express my opinion on Twitter, or on my blog (example). Often, I let my biases spill forth on the odd article talk page. But when I'm editing Wikipedia articles, I stick rigidly to the policies and guidelines of the project.
- Countries lived in (2)
- England, The United States of America
- Places lived in (8)
- Ashtead, Earlsfield, Fetcham, Malvern, Sadsburyville, South Benfleet, Swarthmore, Tooting
- Countries visited (10)
- Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, England, France, Germany, Malta, Spain, United States of America, Wales
- U.S. States visited (14½)
- Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C. (the ½), West Virginia
- Aircraft ridden (8)
- Airbus A330, Bell 206L, Boeing 737, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 Dreamliner, de Havilland Dragon Rapide (G-AKIF), Eurocopter AS355
- Vehicles owned (4)
- Ford Edge, Ford Focus, Ford Sierra, Kawasaki KMX 125
Planes spotted from my backyard
Since 2012, my proximity to Chester County G. O. Carlson Airport has given me the opportunity to see a number of interesting aircraft.
- Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (N93012) "Nine-O-Nine"
- Boeing-Stearman Model A75N1 (PT17) (N60812)
- Consolidated B-24J Liberator (N224J) "Witchcraft"
- North American P-51C Mustang (Packard V-1650-7 Merlin engine) (N251MX) "Betty Jane"
- North American P-51D Mustang (Packard V-1650-7 Merlin engine) (N51HY) "Quick Silver"
- North American T-6G Texan (Pratt & Whitney R-1340-AN1 engine) (TA-171, N36913) "Pamela Marie"
- Supermarine Spitfire (Griffon 65 engine) (SM969)
- Vought F4U Corsair (N713JT) "Korean War Hero"
- Cessna 152
- Cessna 172n (1977)
- Cessna 172s (2007)
- Cirrus SR22
- Piper PA-28-181 Archer
- Piper PA-28R-200 Arrow
- Velocity XL
- I share a birthday with Michelangelo, Cyrano de Bergerac, Lou Costello, Ed McMahon, Alan Greenspan, Gordon Cooper, Hal Needham, John Noakes, Kiri Te Kanawa, David Gilmour, Rob Reiner, D. L. Hughley, Alan Davies, Connie Britton, and Shaquille O'Neal.
- I share a birthplace with Dean Macey, Will Stevens, Amanda Tapping and Tony Way.
- On the day of my birth, Mungo Jerry's Baby Jump was the UK's number one single, but had nothing to do with babies. Number one in the US was One Bad Apple by The Osmonds, and it wasn't about apples.
- si-blog - personal weblog (no longer updated)
- Keystone Websites - web design firm (inactive)
- User stats
- X! Edit Counter
- "Classic Wings: G-AKIF". Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- "Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress". Collings Foundation. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "FAA Registry - N60812". Federal Aviation Administration. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "Consolidated B-24J Liberator". Collings Foundation. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "North American TP-51C Mustang". Collings Foundation. Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- Yoak, Scott. "Quick Silver". Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- "FAA Registry - N36913". Federal Aviation Administration. Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- "SPITFIRE/SM969". Supermarine Spitfire Registry. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- Tobul, Jim. "KWH". Retrieved 2015-09-16.