Transpromo is a compound expression formed from the words "transaction" and "promotional". Transpromotional can be defined as "marketing and promotional materials presented alongside or integrated into transactional documents". TransPromo, also known as "statement based marketing", integrates TRANSactional documents with proactive PROMOtional marketing. TransPromo provides an opportunity to blend marketing messages with must-read printed materials such as invoices, statements, benefits confirmations, explanations, and other notifications. The goal is to influence customer's behavior and drive business volume and to do so by capturing available advertising space in must read communications. Transpromotional documents combine customer relationship management (CRM), data mining technology with variable data printing and location intelligence.
Transpromotional materials can be special mass-printed inserts added to the transactional document "package" or generated digitally and printed at the same time as the rest of the document. Marketing materials can also be integrated into the statement itself. Transpromotional messages integrated into a transactional document are often referred to as "onserts". Like transactional documents, transpromotional materials can also be produced and disseminated electronically. Today's printing technology allows companies to deliver more effective transpromotional documents than ever before, as full color variable data printing and variable data document composition software can be fully integrated into ERP and CRM systems to match existing customers with offers that are most likely to trigger a response.
Transpromo software products such as RenderX's application XEP enable the creation and production of truly personalized communications, with no limit as to what content can be variable from piece to piece. XEP delivers Transpromo variable marketing advertisements and easily injects them into customer's documents in the PDF, PostScript and AFP format.
Coupled with high-end variable data printing software and data mining, today's high-speed continuous feed digital printing systems offer a viable, quick, more cost-effective solution for adding higher-quality color messages on traditional transactional statements.
Many of the Electronic Print Output Industry news sources are covering the Transpromotional document. Some recent articles are listed below under "sources".
Statement-based Marketing Advantages:
1. Unrivaled Openability. Statements and invoices are expected—they contain important financial information and usually require action. More than 95% of transaction documents are opened and read each month – far more than any other type of direct response effort.
2. High Involvement. Bills and statements receive more attention than any other form of communication including television advertisements. Studies show that the average customer invests between one and three minutes for statement review. 
3. Trusted Media. While e-security and telephone fraud continue to make headlines, nearly everyone trusts the postal service to send and deliver mail – including highly important documents.
4. Functionality. Statements are often viewed more than once. The paper-based nature of transaction mail helps consumers pay bills, submit expense reports, prepare taxes and file documents. 
5. Greater Returns. Statement-based marketing is effective because it targets current customers. A five percent increase in current customer business can translate into as much as a 50 percent increase in bottom-line profits. 
6. Customized offers. Statement-based marketing is effective because it is enables customized offers to be automatically generated by the transactional data within the document itself. 
Customer data integration (CDI) enables an organization to link all the information—even when it is stored in multiple databases—to provide a comprehensive view of each relationship.
Location intelligence is becoming one of the most valuable assets in marketing segmentation and decision making. Street-level profiling enhances data with rich demographic, lifestyle and consumer attributes. Mapping technologies give mailers the ability to present a more local, community-oriented image to your customers. One can also target messages or include third-party advertisements based on geographic proximity.
Database and marketing analytics can help segment customers and pinpoint high-potential opportunities. Geo-demographic data and cluster analysis, for example, can help a car manufacturer know whether to pitch an SUV or an ecologically-friendly Hybrid.
Document composition software makes it easier to compose one-to-one communications across every channel. The combination of template design, built-in business logic and automated printstream creation supports variable content based on segmentations, including text, graphics, images, fonts and layouts.
Production intelligence provides a smart, practical way to execute segment-driven strategies. Document output management allows mailers to modify and redirect printstreams on the fly, without disrupting underlying systems or operations – providing the flexibility to integrate color output devices, manage multiple print centers and manage output based on business rules. File-based processing provides an added level of assurance – putting the controls in place to guarantee that the right information is sent to the right customer at precisely the right time.
RenderX has technical solutions for injecting dynamic advertising during the format process, leveraging RenderX's XEP and the XEP Intermediate Document Format to calculate available space "on the fly" and insert a properly selected advertisement.
The Automated Document Factory 2.0 (ADF 2.0), also known by its earlier generation as simply ADF, an architecture developed by Gartner that is used in the design and operation of printing and mailing operations, is essential for an end-to-end transpromo printing operation. Enterprises use ADF 2.0 to provide the foundation for the operations, whether transaction printing (bills, checks, policies, etc.) or marketing collateral (brochures, literature, etc.). Individual printing companies will use some or all of the ADF 2.0 modules depending on the nature of their operations and the extent to which the production of printed materials integrates with the composition and analysis software their customers employ.
While color printing is not required for TransPromo, it can create a stronger impact. Studies show that the effective use of color and personalization outsells traditional black and white messaging by up to 80% or more. And the costs of color variable print are coming down rapidly. In a recent cost analysis conducted by InfoTrends, the difference on a four-page document was calculated to be only 6.5 cents.
- Irongate Digital Solutions, TransPromo Overview, www.irongatedigital.co.uk
- Group 1 Software, Inc., 2004 Research Study
- InfoTrends, Inc., The Future of Mail 2006
- Jack Schmid and Alan Weber, Desktop Database Marketing
- Grant Stewart, Vectis, White Paper : Trigger based marketing within transactional documents, 2009
- OutputLinks – Bridging the Gap: Overcoming Obstacles to TransPromo Success http://www.outputlinks.com/html/general/Pitney_Bowes_TransPromo_082807.shtml
- Australia Post - One stop transpromo resource including case studies and how-to
- OutputLinks: An Intelligent Approach to TransPromo
- OutputLinks: Bridging the Gap: Overcoming Obstacles to TransPromo Success
- OutputLinks: The Three Drivers of TransPromo Success: Data, Data, and Data
- OutputLinks: Location Intelligence: The Secret Ingredient to TransPromo Success
- OutputLinks: An Intelligent Approach to TransPromo
- DMNews: “Personalized transactions add marfeting value”
- DMM News: "Consumers prefer personalized direct mail"
- DMM News: "Rate hikes spur transpromo use"
- "TransPromo isn’t just for the big guys", article from btobonline.com
- Print CEO Blog article
- Print Week article
- Market Research article
- Transpromo-live is an open forum dedicated to TransPromo
Organizations advocating Transpromotional strategies
- Solimar Systems
- Gartner Inc.
- Infotrends.com InfoTrends' "Future of Mail" report is available.
- Objectif Lune
- Pitney Bowes TransPromo Communications
- Ricoh Americas Corporation
- Printsoft PRes
- GMC PrintNet
- Sefas Innovation Open Print
- Océ digital Presses
- Xeikon (by Punch Graphix)
- i-docs CCM Solution
- ISIS Papyrus Software
- InfoPrint Solutions Company
- RedTitan Document Transforms
- Vectis case studies