|Search user languages|
I'm a software engineer working at Google on tools infrastructure (LLVM, GCC, Glibc, and GDB), a career track that I've been on since porting GCC 1.31 to an experimental VM in 1989. In my younger days I got a PhD doing research on Lisp implementation techniques.
I'm also trying my hand at building a wiki-type website - StampData , a philatelic catalog and inventory system. It currently has records of over 570,000 types of postage stamps, well on the way to completeness!
My personal interests are varied and include software, stamp collecting, sailing ships, ship models, history (particularly ancient history and military history), rock climbing, mountaineering, languages, literature (novels mostly), botany (particularly desert plants), fish, and entomology (particularly beetles).
Dumping my life's accumulated factoids into Wikipedia seems like a fun thing to do, we'll see how it goes.
- Two weeks after first edit (mid-February 2003) - it's like being an ADD-afflicted magpie in a bottle cap factory!
- August 2003 - it's consuming nearly all of my waking moments...
- August 2004 - not as many of the waking moments, but I think about it a lot when doing other things.
- July 2005 - monitoring a lengthy watchlist (19,000 pages), but not writing so much; mostly taking plant pictures for commons.
- May 2006 - finally got tired of the old watchlist and erased it (vandals everywhere rejoice), will be gradually rebuilding it.
- September 2010 - still mostly taking plant pictures, going to remote parts of the desert to find obscure species.
- January 2012 - monitoring things daily, intending to finish uploading picture backlog, but still StampData-obsessed.
- June 2015 - still monitoring, but more weekly than daily.
User:Stan Shebs/Articles - User:Stan Shebs/Philatelic accounts - User:Stan Shebs/Gallery - User:Stan Shebs/Plant taxa - User:Stan Shebs/Game collection - User:Stan Shebs/Model collection - User:Stan Shebs/Stomp
- Diego Suarez/Diego Diaz/Hernan Suarez/Fernan Soares problem - investigate reputed Zimbabwe Rhodesia overprints - Expand and bulletin pic for The Mountaineers (Pacific NW) - postage stamp copyright - get Amer. Mid. Nat. 1942 v. 27 (Glossopetalon) - get Brittonia 1988 and 1992
|The Barnstar of Diligence|
|For over five years of work on the encyclopedia, I award you this barnstar in recognition of your service. Thank you. Acalamari 22:51, 18 June 2008 (UTC)|
|This user is a member of WikiProject Philately, a WikiProject which aims to develop and expand Wikipedia's coverage of the science of philately. Please feel free to join us.|