|Initial release||11.1 (based on 0.49b)|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Peer-to-peer file sharing|
|License||Free (GNU General Public License)|
eMule MorphXT is a peer-to-peer file sharing application for Microsoft Windows. GNU General Public License, just like it parent software eMule. Since the gpl allows altering the source of the program this is just such an alteration. This is sort of plugin where the alteration are build into the source .
eMule connects to both the eDonkey network and the Kad network. The distinguishing features of eMule are the direct exchange of sources between client nodes, fast recovery of corrupted downloads, and the use of a credit system to reward frequent uploaders. Furthermore, eMule transmits data and control codes in zlib-compressed form to save bandwidth.
Shortly after the release of eMule several mods were created as well. The original eMule was released at (2002-07-07), the first mod morph was released at 2003-01-23 based on emule 0.26b 25b-V1a by a user "morpheus". This is the origin of the name of this mod.
Later it was was renamed to next and morphkad and morphXT. The changelog explains this with:
#) Kademlia won't be the final name of the protocol (ref changelog) #) The version number and alpha/beta status were not clear ( #) that will celebrate the return of IceCream and the launching of our new Website :D
Between version morph XT 2.0 and 8.3 the main developer turned out to be SiRoB which is reverse for Boris.
Since then there were less frequent releases following the official eMule releases by a team of developers. Whenever eMule increases its minor version number this software increases its major version number.
Differences from eMule
Although eMule morphXT is a fork from eMule it incorporated morph changes that were made to emule back in the MorphXT program. Just like a Unbuntu distribution tracks changes in the linux kernel. Unlike eMule, MorphXT does have a publicity viewable CVS system.
- Release features Powershare to prioritize files to publish them into the network.
- a different upnp implementation to map ports and the web interface.
- Performance and gui tweaks
- Anti leecher system that bans some types of leecher mods.
- Multi user webinterface.
- This software contains a anti leeching system that is based on static comparison of version strings. Some criticize  about the morph anti leecher in the eMule anti leecher forum.</ref> that this method bans some client that are not leeching but are capable to do so.
- Since this Software adds functionality to the already complex eMule program it can become too complex for incidental users, some recommend eMule over this fork to users.
Several version have sprung up that want a fee to download the software.
- http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showforum=28 Forum dedicated to MorphXT
- http://wiki.emule-web.de/index.php/Category:Morphxtfeatures features in the software
- http://wiki.emule-web.de/index.php/Morphxtfaq Morph faq
- What morph mod is
- announced retirement
- tHeWiZaRdOfDoS in antileech forum
[[Category:Free file sharing software]] [[Category:Windows-only free software]]