Sharebox is a script that reorders your toolbox. It adds new buttons that make it easier to mail, print or share an article on Facebook or another linksharing service. The Share button uses AddThis.
Sharebox is being developed by TheDJ and is usable, but not fully finished yet. It should be tested and working with Safari, Firefox and Opera.
To install Sharebox, including all future updates:
- Copy the text below and paste it into the bottom of your script file:
- Save the new scripts page, and
- Completely refresh your browser by bypassing your cache.
- Done! After a while you should start seeing the new icons in your toolbox.
- This tool tells AddThis not to track you. I'm not guaranteeing that they don't track you. AddThis is still collecting a lot of statistics, but less than when they actually track your browser.
- If you are concerned, just don't use this, or write a new tool that has all the AddThis functionality. I looked around, it does not seem there are any usable open source alternatives that have the variety of share options of AddThis.
- The Facebook and Twitter icons used by AddThis are simply share links. They do not have the privacy issues of Facebook's own Share and Like buttons. Yes these major sharing websites know a lot about you, but that doesn't mean that this is automatic. By not using the official buttons of these websites, but simple links, you are in control about what the site knows about you. In practice this means they know what you share, not what you read. If you don't want them to know what you share, don't share.