This is the user sandbox of Timtempleton. A user sandbox is a subpage of the user's user page. It serves as a testing spot and page development space for the user and is not an encyclopedia article. Create or edit your own sandbox here.
Writing an article and ready to request its creation?
|Directed by||Jason Wise|
|Produced by||Michelle Branch, story producer
William Fowler, executive producer
Jackson Myers, producer
Christina Tucker, producer
Jason Wise, producer
|Written by||Jason Wise|
|Music by||Brian Carmody|
|Edited by||Bryan Carr
|Distributed by||Samuel Goldwyn Films (theatrical)
First Run Features (DVD)
|June 21, 2013|
SOMM follows four candidates as they study for and attempt to pass the notoriously difficult master sommelier examination, held under the guidance of the Court of Master Sommeliers.
The four candidates appearing as themselves are Ian Cauble, Brian McClintic, Dustin Wilson and DLynn Proctor. In addition to friends and family members, several notable sommeliers are interviewed, including Fred Dame, Peter Neptune and Michael Jordan.
The film received mostly above average reviews. Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 77% based on reviews from 22 critics. Variety called the film "A stimulating intro course on wine appreciation" and praised its "accessible subjects and sparkling execution". The LA Times' critic Kenneth Turan called the film "glib but ultimately engaging." The NY Post praised the film for doing "..a fairly impressive job of making wine tasting somewhat cinematic despite its being essentially unfilmable." The NY Times' critic Rachel Saltz called the film "less about wine fetishism than about the fetishism of mastery" but felt the candidates were painted as "one dimensional jocks". She did note that the film was "an entree into a little-known world." As of June 2, 2015, Amazon.com customers had rated the film an average or 4 1/2 out of 5 stars, with 128 customer reviews.
The film was named best documentary feature at the 2013 San Luis Obispo Film Festival.
- "World's Toughest Test? The Master Sommelier Diploma Exam". Forbes.com. 2013-06-24. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- Somm at Rotten Tomatoes
- "Film Review: ‘Somm’". variety.com. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Review: 'Somm': Wine, men and one brutal test". LATimes.com. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Raise a glass for wine documentary, ‘Somm’". NYPost.com. 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "Sipping and Studying, When the Subject Is Bottled". NYTimes.com. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "SOMM product page". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-06-02.
- "2013 Film Competition Award Winners". slofilmfest.org. Retrieved 2015-06-02.