My name is William C. Francis.
I am currently questioning why I am still involved with Wikipedia, even in a limited fashion.
- Writers and editors should not work for free. At best, there needs to be in-kind donation documentation with fair market value for writing and editing services.
|Search user languages|
All this and still not notable
- I am a water professional with over 35 years of experience.
- I am also involved in Science Fiction Fandom (I usually pronouce "sci-fi" as "skiffy"), although currently in a state of FAFIA. I have had fifteen minutes of being a BNF due to chairing two DeepSouthCons, BeachCon and Son of a BeachCon and to serving a couple of terms as President of Vice of the Southern Fandom Confederation and assisting with the editing on the SFC Handbook.
- I have acted and directed in community theatre (and, yes, I think the Theater page should be moved to "Theatre"). (This just happened as I was first editing this).
- I play the guitar and compose music using various MIDI sequencers.
- I am a multi-platform computer enthusiast, using Apple (Powerbook G-4 with Mac OS-X) and PC (newest is AMD 64 based Velocity Micro with Win XP Pro) machines daily for work and play. My first PC type machine started life as a 286 which I kept modifying until there was nothing of the original machine in it any more (including the case). I started this obsession with a TRS-80 Mod III in 1982.
So It Begins
I discovered Wikipedia early March 2005.
- April 22, 2005. I am already showing signs of Wikipediholism.
Oh, the PAIN!
Oh, goody. I've attracted the attention of a vandal who got my user page.
- His vandalism stayed here 23 minutes.
- WCFrancis 05:52, 7 May 2005 (UTC)
The story through 2005
I have mostly been doing minor edits, correction, syntax adjustments and the like. I have been learning Wiki formatting. I have been helping with the eternal struggle to revert vandalism, get rid of hoax articles and deal with the problems inherent with this experiment in structured anarchy.
- Yes, I know it's an oxymoron, but what else would you call an encyclopedia that anyone can edit at anytime - the anarchy part - but that has consequences for unacceptable behavior - the structured part.
- WCFrancis 14:00, 20 May 2005 (UTC)
I am still spending a lot of time maintaining the integrity of Wikipedia by nominating articles for deletion and researching and providing input on articles nominated for deletion by other Wikipedians. I frequently go on RC patrol looking for new articles anonymously edited. Amazing how much garbage gets put here, not only by vandals but by newbies who just discovered Wikipedia and have no clue about guidelines and policies. I have no intention of being a deletionist, but looking at my votes might make it appear that I am. I do vote keep on occasion but rarely add to a discussion where the consensus is already keep.
- WCFrancis 20:41, 22 September 2005 (UTC)
I have reduced my presence on RC patrol and deletion since it appears to be a never ending struggle. Getting Away From It All for a while (to use the fannish word: gafiating) has helped to reduce my level of Wikistress. It has also allowed me to get more sleep. Does this make me a recovering Wikipediholic?
- WCFrancis 14:16, 20 October 2005 (UTC)
This is intended to keep track of my logins as a recovering Wikipediaholic. It was started the beginning of 2006.
Times are GMT, ummm, excuse me, UTC. Also known as Zulu time, since it is time zone Z and "Zulu" is "Z" in the NATO phonetic alphabet.
Earlier entries are at my Connection Log Archive
- 07:56, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
- 19:36, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
WastedSpent time on my user pages — formatting, cleaning up and archiving portions.
- Also ranted about writers and editors not giving away their work for free.
- 21:18, 11 January 2009 (UTC) through 01:45, 12 January 2009 (UTC)
- All nonbillable. Playing around, adding boxes, doing wikiholic quiz, laughing. Nothing productive for Wikipedia. MwahaHA!
- 17:21, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
- Move obsolete info on talk page to archive page
- 06:07, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
- Obsessive compulsive behavior. Removing boxes; they're sillay. Learning how to align paragraphs. No billable time.
Logoff 07:35, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
- 02:38, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
- 14:07, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
- Looking up thought experiment for LOSTpedia (surprise).
Logoff 15:09, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
- 16:27, 29 January 2009 (UTC)
- Wasting time. Found Wikipedia:Lamest edit wars which documents other editors wasting time. No billable time
Logoff 17:29, 29 January 2009 (UTC)
- 14:47, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
- Fishy reason: just for the halibut. No billable time
Logoff 15:27, 5 February 2009 (UTC)
- 18:32, 10 February 2009 (UTC)
- Johnny Jump Up (drink) - the potent potable from Irish folk music fame. If anyone starts these pages, they need to be linked to the disambiguation page.
- Made minor edit to Water quality page.0.25 hour billable time
Logoff 19:07, 10 February 2009 (UTC)
- 03:15, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- Look up Tong
Logoff 03:18, 12 February 2009 (UTC)
- 17:16, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- Look up Triskaidekaphobia. I spelled it inconsistently so created Triskadecaphobia as redirect page.
Logoff 17:48, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- 16:45, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
- Wasting time, but it's Sunday and it's my time to do with as I please. No billable time
Logoff 17:52, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
- 22:54, 1 March 2009 (UTC)
- Looking up Khalil Gibran as part of Flying Blue Monkey Squadron duty.
- I have stayed logged in and keeping it in background while writing something not for Wikipedia in the foreground. At some point the software logged me out. Therefore there will not be a logout time logged. No billable time.
- 18:58, 11 March 2009 (UTC) Flag of the United States, checking date of 50 star version. LOST fanac related to Geronimo Jackson.
Logoff 19:06, 11 March 2009 (UTC)
- 17:27, 2 April 2009 (UTC) Checking Article on obvious quackery Wilson's syndrome. Made suggestion on talk page.
Logoff 17:27, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
- 19:00 approx., 13 April 2009 (UTC) Researching Membrane bioreactor.
Logoff 20:19, 13 April 2009 (UTC)
- 14:05, 30 September 2009 (UTC) researching print on demand. Found vile word "irrespective" and replaced with "regardless".
Logoff 14:05, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
- 19:43, 1 January 2010 (UTC) 2010 begins.
Included nomination for Grammy in Harlan Ellison
Logoff 20:03, 1 January 2010 (UTC)
- 19:47, 19 June 2010 (UTC)
Looking up song Fever, and found another article about Madonna's cover of the song. Had to comment.
Logoff 19:56, 19 June 2010 (UTC)
- 19:47, 02 July 2011 (UTC)
Wikiholism can be cured. More than a year since the last login!
Most recent Login:
20:27 EDT June 21, 2013. Amazing how long I have been away. Logged in because a friend asked me about whether I was registered.