User:Wiki CRUK John
Alternative account for John Byrne / User:Johnbod as Wikimedian/Wikipedian in residence at Cancer Research UK in London, from May 2014 to mid-February 2015, for four days a week. See the project page at Wikipedia:WikiProject CRUK.
Until July 2014 I was also Wikimedian/Wikipedian in residence at the Royal Society (one day per week). See the project page at Wikipedia:WikiProject Royal Society, and User:Cancer Research UK uploader on Wikimedia Commons.
- Final report at the end of the project in 2015. Also, my editing stats (some also on my main account)
- 2019 event: Wikipedia:CRUK Women in Cancer Research Editathon
My role at Cancer Research UK
Cancer Research UK (CRUK) is the largest charity outside the US dedicated to medical research into all aspects of cancer.
I am lucky to be working there from May to early December 2014 (now extended) as Wikipedian in residence /Project Manager, Wikipedia. This position is funded by the Wellcome Trust, with administrative support from Wikimedia UK. I will be working on a four days a week basis, and for two months until early July will combine this with my one day a week position as Wikimedian/Wikipedian in residence at the Royal Society.
The work will have a number of different aspects, including:
- Working with the existing Wikipedia medical editors to improve cancer-related content on Wikipedia. There will be a number of aspects to this, including reviews of content by specialist clinical researchers and writers, the recruitment of new Wikipedian medical editors through events and other outreach, and releasing CRUK images on open licenses.
- Working to increase understanding of open content in general, and the Wikimedia projects in particular, within CRUK and it's research and other communities.
- Working within CRUK to define and establish policy promoting the placing of CRUK material on open licenses where possible and appropriate.
- Producing consumer research into the experience of the general public reading cancer-related articles on Wikipedia.
My blogs etc.
- New images released are quickly put to use - my blogpost re the CRUK diagrams and also some Royal Society images is on the global Wikimedia Foundation blog, and also the Wikimedia UK blog here, 11 September
- Wikipedia – is it fit for patient consumption? - blogpost on the CRUK science blog, 27 May
- My blogpost on Wikimedia UK's blog, 20 May, repeated on the Wikimedia Foundation blog, 31 May, Highlights & Global editions
- CRUK podcast section, interview with me: section from 6:30 to 10:40
- MEDSCAPE story 1 September 2014, on main page. Subscription only, but if you google the title "Cancer Research UK Working to Improve Info on Wikipedia" you should be able to access it.
- Extracts from film (3 mins) on my time at the Royal Society as WiR, with transcript, as a Wikimedia UK blogpost (October 2014)
Mainly written for CRUK non- or new Wikipedians.
- User talk:Wiki CRUK John/Pancreatic cancer (version g)
- User talk:Wiki CRUK John/Pancreatic cancer (version h)
- File:Editing Wikipedia articles on medicine.pdf, PDF of new medical editing brochure, 4 pages
- https://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/glamorous.php glamourous
- Monthly view statistics for category trees
- page view graphs best tool
- Cancer stats as RS in BMJ
- WP searches by language - Measuring mission success
- Table of Medical Featured/Good Articles across main language Wikipedias
- Cardiology IEG proposal
- WMUK Feedback form
- CRUK Causes of cancer graphic
- World Cancer Report 2014. World Health Organization. 2014. ISBN 9283204298.
- DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 9th Edition, 2011, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, ISBN 978-1-4511-0545-2, ISBN 1-4511-0545-2
DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 9th Edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2011, with updates to 2014. pp. Ch 79. ISBN 9781451105452. Check date values in:
- Tobias Jeffrey S., Hochhauser, Daniel, Cancer and its Management, 2010 (6th edn), ISBN 1118713257, 9781118713259
- The fraction of cancer attributable to lifestyle and environmental factors in the UK in 2010, BJC open content
- IARC Incidence figs
- IARC Classified risk factors by cancer site
- Obesity: 
- Global causes Lancet. 2014 Feb 8;383(9916):549-57. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62224-2. Epub 2013 Dec 16., "Global cancer patterns: causes and prevention.", Vineis P1, Wild CP2.
- Cancer biomarkers: Written in blood, DNA circulating in the bloodstream could guide cancer treatment — if researchers can work out how best to use it., Ed Yong, 30 July 2014
- Sociological Inquiry Principles: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods online book
- Personalising our approach to pancreatic cancer, CRUK Science Blog August 4, 2014 Flora Malein
- Pharma profits
My edits that might be thought to have a Wikipedia:conflict of interest. commonents welcome.
- tidy up at Stand Up to Cancer UK Wiki CRUK John (talk) 16:55, 2 February 2015 (UTC)
- at Cancer Research UK, adding a 1-line section on fundraising events with articles, done during a training presentation. Wiki CRUK John (talk) 15:30, 2 February 2015 (UTC)
-  reverting redirect of Harpal Kumar, CRUK CEO, to main CRUK article. Article begun in 2007, first redirected in 2012, then again just now, despite being added to by others. I've not edited it otherwise. Wiki CRUK John (talk) 09:19, 12 January 2015 (UTC)
- better lead pic (diagram over pathology slide)] at Prostate cancer (others have already added other CRUK images there). Wiki CRUK John (talk) 12:20, 5 December 2014 (UTC)
- better lead pic at London Research Institute
- CRUK images added by me to: Bladder cancer (could be at top?), TNM staging system, Carotid stenting, 4 at Esophagectomy, 3 at Cervical cancer and 7 at Cervical cancer staging
- To Proton therapy, currently dominating UK front pages, added Press Association/CRUK press release from 2013 on govt funding, and Dr Kat Arney Science blog, as well as NHS/BBC stuff.
- Pancreatic cancer, diagrams of the various surgical options, 1 + gallery of 4
- As trainer, see Wikipedia:WikiProject_CRUK/Angel_training#Participants.2C_stats_team - stats team add key UK stats, refed to official stats as compiled on CRUK Cancer statistics website
- Alternative cancer treatments, added a point & ref link. See talk also. Wiki CRUK John (talk) 16:08, 20 November 2014 (UTC)
- add sentence re founding to bio
Welcome to Wikipedia from the Medicine Wikiproject!
Welcome to Wikipedia from Wikiproject Medicine (also known as WPMED).
We're a group of editors who strive to improve the quality of medical articles here on Wikipedia. One of our members has noticed that you are interested in editing medical articles; it's great to have a new interested editor on board. In your wiki-voyages, a few things that may be relevant to editing Wikipedia articles are:
- Thanks for coming aboard! We always appreciate a new editor. Feel free to leave us a message at any time on our talk page. If you are interested in joining the project yourself, there is a participant list where you can sign up. Please leave a message on the WPMED talk page if you have any problems, suggestions, would like review of an article, need suggestions for articles to edit, or would like some collaboration when editing!
- Sourcing of medical and health-related content on Wikipedia is guided by our medical sourcing guidelines, commonly referred to as MEDRS. These guidelines typically requires recent secondary sources to support information; its application is further explained here. Primary sources (case studies, case reports, research studies) are rarely used, especially if the primary sources are produced by the organisation or individual who is promoting a claim.
- Wikipedia is a kingdom full of a wide variety of editors with different interests, skills, and knowledge. We all manage to get along through a lot of discussion that happens under the scenes and through the bold, edit, discuss editing cycle. If you encounter any problems, you can discuss it on an article's talk page or post a message on the WPMED talk page.
Feel free to drop a note on my talk page if you have any problems. I wish you all the best on your wiki voyages!