Self description by userboxen:
Welcome to my userpage! Feel free to look around, on this page and the subpages linked below. When you're done, you can leave your signature in my guestbook. Thanks!
Wikipedia has been my online world for ten years out of its present 16 years of existence. When I first came to edit here in 2007, I possessed an eager desire to contribute to this global resource, but being a part of this ongoing project has increased in its importance to me since then; far more than I could ever have anticipated. Every time I do even the smallest thing to make it a better encyclopedia than it already was, I feel like I've just won a globally-regarded prize!
For non-Wikipedia related information, see here.
I began editing Wikipedia as an anonymous user in January 2007, and became a registered editor on June 16th that same year. My typical contributions have changed over the years since then, but I like to cover as many fields as I can; leaving Wikipedia with something of a hyphenate editor, on my part. Right now I am most interested in the making/developing of new pages, and the clearing of backlogs, notably the Guild of Copyeditors, and for a long time the Wikification, and Great Wikipedia Backlog drives. On the sidelines, I also periodically review good article and Did you know nominees, the former especially during their backlog drives (surprise-surprise!) or during the WikiCup games. I am also a qualified online ambassador, though I've been out of practice for a while. If you're new and interested, however, you know where to go!
I am prone to taking long wikibreaks without warning or notice, usually due to surprises in real life, or simply a need to take a rest, and usually even when I am on Wikipedia, I am very engrossed in whatever I'm doing, so it may take a while before I reply to messages; some might even go unnoticed for months, it's happened once... Or twice... Actually, quite a few times. :} My apologies in advance for such occurrences.
For the full story of my first ten years on the job, see here.
Major contributions to Wikipedia
These include what pages I've created, what images or articles I've saved from deletion, etc.
Other things relating to Wikipedia
- Hall of Signatures - The ever-lengthening, winding, overall perilous-to-tread (just kidding) corridor which houses the memorabilia of previous methods I've employed to present myself when engaged in communication with other Wikipedians.
- Recognitions - Simply a collection of things given to me by other users. I find it amazing that nobody's given me the finger yet...
- Amazing experiences - A list comprising all of the milestones I've experienced here, including promotions for me or my child-articles, and the like.
Prior to the creation of the first of these sandboxes, I had to use the official Wikipedia:Sandbox if I wanted to work on potential articles, or if I wanted to experiment with some editing technique. It could grow pretty tiresome at times, since that sandbox receives so much traffic; you never knew when an edit conflict could destroy all your efforts. So when I observed that a lot of other users make their own, personal sandboxes out of user subpages, I got the great idea to do the same for myself! After I had used the first of my sandboxes for everything a sandbox can do, for some time, I began to realize it would be much more convenient to have multiple sandboxes, because then if a project I was working on came to some form of lull, I could move on to the next without waiting for the "lull" to conclude. So I decided to devote the first sandbox exclusively to writing out drafts for future articles on award-winning members of the film and television industry listed at the Internet Movie Database, and "invest" in another one. This second sandbox soon became the one I used for working on extinct animal/plant articles. Time went on, and I decided, since I was then actively reviewing AFC submissions (in the old-fashioned way, when all submissions for a particular day were listed on one page, and the reviewers created the accepted submissions for the writers), that I should have one in which to list AFC suggestions I was not sure about, before asking more experienced users for their opinions.
As these three projects have long since fallen out of my editing habits, these "assignments" no longer apply to the sandboxes. Mostly I just use them for whatever form of editing I want to practice, or for holding links, lists, formulas, and things I want to remember. The closest to the original applications that any of these get is the fourth sandbox, which I created some time ago when the user profile links in the top right corner of the screen began including a default sandbox, so it wouldn't be redlinked.
Keeping in touch with the big things in Wikipedia
|Wikipedia ads||file info – #154|
"Now and then I may see one of mine, standing neat below this line..."
Notes and references
- Bear in mind, "long" for me can refer to a day or more; courtesy of my most virtuous impatience-to-spare.
- I will make note, for those who have not yet made their own sandboxes and are looking to do so, that it does not actually cost anything except a few seconds or more, but it sounds more professional to call it "investing".
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: User:Wilhelmina Will|
|Wikiversity has learning resources about User:Wilhelmina Will|
- User:Wilhelmina Will at South Park Wiki - This is the first wiki at Wikia that I participated in developing. It perhaps constitutes one of my most notable contributions to Wikia.
- User:Wilhelmina Will at Land Before Time Wiki - I'm sure, however, that this wiki is indeed my most notable project in Wikia; while I worked there I got it spotlighted 4 times and made over 7000 contributions, not counting logs.
- User:Wilhelmina Will at Iggy Arbuckle Wiki - My first foundation in Wikia; I had said in Wikipedia that I was going to do it since late 2007, and in November 2008 I finally got around to it.
- User:Wilhelmina Will at Arthur Wiki - Another wiki I was fairly active in.
- User:Wilhelmina Will at Magic School Bus Wiki - I "adopted" this wiki in early February 2010, and tried to build it up during the rest of the time I was with Wikia.
- User:Wilhelmina Will at Little Bear Wiki - Another wiki I worked on expanding, and succeeded in "adopting" in early May, 2010. The reason why I left Wikia to return full-time to Wikipedia is that Wikia one day began becoming less like an encyclopedic network and more like a social networking site.
|This is a Wikipedia user page.
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user to whom this page belongs may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at