- 1 Hi Brandon
- 2 Hello!
- 3 Standard Offer unblock request for Technophant
- 4 Invitation to subscribe to the edit filter mailing list
- 5 ArbCom elections are now open!
- 6 Anonymous (group)
- 7 NSO Group has been nominated for Did You Know
- 8 DYK for NSO Group
- 9 DYK for Pegasus (spyware)
- 10 Extended confirmed protection
- 11 Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins
- 12 A new user right for New Page Patrollers
- 13 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
- 14 Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis
- 15 Unprotect request
- 16 Administrators' newsletter - February 2017
- 17 Wikipedia:Database reports/Uncategorized categories/Configuration
Great Panda pic!
I was wondering if you could just keep an eye on shahid malik which you're semi-protecting. Some subtle but negative edits attempted. I've left a reasonable message on the relevant talk page but I'm a novice....
Hi Brandon, are you available to chat today on Thursday? If so, please specify a time and if not can you let me when you will be on?! I need your help with something!!
<+Jeske_C___> gave me your info.
Hi Brandon, I am wondering if you could help me with getting the following page back on? I actually do not know why it was taken down. I work directly under Nassim Haramein, and have a neutral, clear, informative wiki-friendly write up that I could send you for your review. Your help is much appreciative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nassim_Haramein_%282nd_nomination%29 Sebubuntu (talk) 18:08, 2 August 2015 (UTC)
Hi Brandon, can you let me know if I should continue waiting for Technophant or if I should contact anyone else? The page was deleted in 2008 and a lot has changed since then! There is a movie coming out https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-connected-universe-film#/story and we are excited to also put this in Wiki. If possible, please let me know what my next steps are, I kindly thank you for all your help.22:34, 8 September 2015 (UTC)~Seb — Preceding unsigned comment added by Sebubuntu (talk • contribs)
Standard Offer unblock request for Technophant
Technophant has requested an unblock under the standard offer. As one of about 60 editors who has contributed to User talk:Technophant you may have an interest in this request. Sent by user:PBS via -- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:48, 18 August 2015 (UTC)
Hello, Technophant! Is there anything I should do to enable the process or has a request for the page to be unblocked been sent? (sorry, totally new to this...) Thank you so much! Sebhia19:20, 1 September 2015 (UTC)~ 19:19, 1 September 2015 (UTC)~
Invitation to subscribe to the edit filter mailing list
Hi, as a user in the edit filter manager user group we wanted to let you know about the new wikipedia-en-editfilters mailing list. As part of our recent efforts to improve the use of edit filters on the English Wikipedia it has been established as a venue for internal discussion by edit filter managers regarding private filters (those only viewable by administrators and edit filter managers) and also as a means by which non-admins can ask questions about hidden filters that wouldn't be appropriate to discuss on-wiki. As an edit filter manager we encourage you to subscribe; the more users we have in the mailing list the more useful it will be to the community. If you subscribe we will send a short email to you through Wikipedia to confirm your subscription, but let us know if you'd prefer another method of verification. I'd also like to take the opportunity to invite you to contribute to the proposed guideline for edit filter use at WP:Edit filter/Draft and the associated talk page. Thank you! Sam Walton (talk) and MusikAnimal talk 18:22, 9 September 2015 (UTC)
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:04, 23 November 2015 (UTC)
- Hi Brandon. See here. ÷seresin 21:28, 22 February 2016 (UTC)
NSO Group has been nominated for Did You Know
DYK for NSO Group
DYK for Pegasus (spyware)
Extended confirmed protection
Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins
Please note that TOTP based two-factor authentication is now available for all administrators. In light of the recent compromised accounts, you are encouraged to add this additional layer of security to your account. It may be enabled on your preferences page in the "User profile" tab under the "Basic information" section. For basic instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication, please see the developing help page for additional information. Important: Be sure to record the two-factor authentication key and the single use keys. If you lose your two factor authentication and do not have the keys, it's possible that your account will not be recoverable. Furthermore, you are encouraged to utilize a unique password and two-factor authentication for the email account associated with your Wikimedia account. This measure will assist in safeguarding your account from malicious password resets. Comments, questions, and concerns may be directed to the thread on the administrators' noticeboard. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:34, 12 November 2016 (UTC)
A new user right for New Page Patrollers
A new user group, New Page Reviewer, has been created in a move to greatly improve the standard of new page patrolling. The user right can be granted by any admin at PERM. It is highly recommended that admins look beyond the simple numerical threshold and satisfy themselves that the candidates have the required skills of communication and an advanced knowledge of notability and deletion. Admins are automatically included in this user right.
It is anticipated that this user right will significantly reduce the work load of admins who patrol the performance of the patrollers. However,due to the complexity of the rollout, some rights may have been accorded that may later need to be withdrawn, so some help will still be needed to some extent when discovering wrongly applied deletion tags or inappropriate pages that escape the attention of less experienced reviewers, and above all, hasty and bitey tagging for maintenance. User warnings are available here but very often a friendly custom message works best.
ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis
Hi Brandon. You were the admin who Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis per Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis back in March 2009. The article was created a few years later in April 2013, so I'm wondering if the re-creation is a significant improvement over the version you deleted or if the article should be tagged per WP:G4. Thanks in advance. -- Marchjuly (talk) 02:05, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
- The article as it exists today is substantially different from the article I deleted in 2009. Brandon (talk) 01:57, 12 December 2016 (UTC)
Could you remove indefinite semi-protection from /b/? You protected it in 2008, but vandalism has not been a significant problem since. Perhaps pending changes is all that is required, if even that. Best, Mark Schierbecker (talk) 02:09, 12 December 2016 (UTC)
News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2017). This first issue is being sent out to all administrators, if you wish to keep receiving it please subscribe. Your feedback is welcomed.
- NinjaRobotPirate • Schwede66 • K6ka • Ealdgyth • Ferret • Cyberpower678 • Mz7 • Primefac • Dodger67
- Briangotts • JeremyA • BU Rob13
- A discussion to workshop proposals to amend the administrator inactivity policy at Wikipedia talk:Administrators has been in process since late December 2016.
- Wikipedia:Pending changes/Request for Comment 2016 closed with no consensus for implementing Pending changes level 2 with new criteria for use.
- Following an RfC, an activity requirement is now in place for bots and bot operators.
- When performing some administrative actions the reason field briefly gave suggestions as text was typed. This change has since been reverted so that issues with the implementation can be addressed. (T34950)
- Following the latest RfC concluding that Pending Changes 2 should not be used on the English Wikipedia, an RfC closed with consensus to remove the options for using it from the page protection interface, a change which has now been made. (T156448)
- The Foundation has announced a new community health initiative to combat harassment. This should bring numerous improvements to tools for admins and CheckUsers in 2017.
- JohnCD (John Cameron Deas) passed away on 30 December 2016. John began editing Wikipedia seriously during 2007 and became an administrator in November 2009.
13:37, 1 February 2017 (UTC)
To Brandon and MZMcBride: This database report script consistently returns a few non-existent categories, as well as Category:Contents, which is uncategorized by design. Any chance of one of you modifying the script to prevent this? Not a big problem, just wondering. —swpbT 15:51, 3 March 2017 (UTC)
- Hi swpb. It's certainly possibly to do additional filtering on the database report output to account for the "zombie" database rows and to remove "Category:Contents". The relevant code is here, I believe: <https://github.com/mzmcbride/database-reports/blob/073bfb5ed9e4baaf0549007b59c9d343f5385d47/reports/general/uncatcats.py>. I doubt Brandon or I will be quick to fix this. --MZMcBride (talk) 16:48, 4 March 2017 (UTC)