Note: If this page is semiprotected and you are unable to leave me a message, you may do so here instead.
Strangest thing happened - I tried to edit Chris Sherwin this morning using my iPad and a message popped up saying I was unable to edit pages on WP due to an autoblock affecting my IP address. The autoblock of my IP address was used by user Bmillz as a vandalism-only account. Block ID #7766302. I was using my AT&T service on the iPad and was not logged in to the ADSL based wireless internet here at the ranch. I am in a rural area and I can't imagine any vandals being out here using the same IP address as my iPad but I guess it's possible. I'm clueless about how that stuff works. Can you look into this for me, please? Thanks in advance...Atsme📞📧 11:14, 27 August 2017 (UTC)
- I've removed the autoblock, so you should be good to go. I have only a tenuous grasp of the technological processes involved, so I won't try to explain it, but WP:Autoblock gives a good overview. I am sorry for the inconvenience. --Bongwarrior (talk) 20:06, 27 August 2017 (UTC)
Hi Bongwarrior. I think 2600:387:2:803:0:0:0:76 is back as 2600:387:2:805:0:0:0:73. IP made the same edit as the other IPs to the archives of RickinBaltimore. -- Marchjuly (talk) 10:03, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- IP 2600:387:2:805:0:0:0:C3 is probbly the same person as well. -- Marchjuly (talk) 11:22, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for letting me know - this latest bout appears to be fairly isolated, so I'm going to let it go. --Bongwarrior (talk) 18:39, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- Understand. Thanks for taking a look. -- Marchjuly (talk) 21:33, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2017).
- Nakon • Scott
- Sverdrup • Thespian • Elockid • James086 • Ffirehorse • Celestianpower • Boing! said Zebedee
Guideline and policy news
- You will now get a notification when someone tries to log in to your account and fails. If they try from a device that has logged into your account before, you will be notified after five failed attempts. You can also set in your preferences to get an email when someone logs in to your account from a new device or IP address, which may be encouraged for admins and accounts with sensitive permissions.
- Syntax highlighting is now available as a beta feature (more info). This may assist administrators and template editors when dealing with intricate syntax of high-risk templates and system messages.
- In your notification preferences, you can now block specific users from pinging you. This functionality will soon be available for Special:EmailUser as well.
- Applications for CheckUser and Oversight are being accepted by the Arbitration Committee until September 12. Community discussion of the candidates will begin on September 18.
22.214.171.124 is now back as 126.96.36.199... until I blocked 'em. Is there some pre-existing SPI or known master for this case? Thanks, GABgab 04:46, 2 September 2017 (UTC)
- I don't know anything, this is the first I've seen of this. Probably not a newcomer though. --Bongwarrior (talk) 04:50, 2 September 2017 (UTC)
Your assistance, please
I have very limited experience with CU and was wondering if you could help. I suspect Mukogodo and 188.8.131.52 the IP vandal you just blocked may be one in the same. Atsme📞📧 22:54, 1 October 2017 (UTC)
- That is extremely doubtful. The IPs that I have been blocking have been randomly reverting lots of edits. I don't think there is any connection. --Bongwarrior (talk) 23:21, 1 October 2017 (UTC)
News and updates for administrators from the past month (September 2017).
- Boing! said Zebedee • Ansh666 • Ad Orientem
- Tonywalton • AmiDaniel • Silence • BanyanTree • Magioladitis • Vanamonde93 • Mr.Z-man • Jdavidb • Jakec • Ram-Man • Yelyos • Kurt Shaped Box
Guideline and policy news
- Community consultation on the 2017 candidates for CheckUser and Oversight has concluded. The Arbitration Committee will appoint successful candidates by October 11.
- A request for comment is open regarding the structure, rules, and procedures of the December 2017 Arbitration Committee election, and how to resolve any issues not covered by existing rules.