User talk:Canley

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Family Court of Australia attacks[edit]

Nice update! [1] --220 of Borg 10:07, 3 January 2017 (UTC)

Thanks! I lived overseas as a child so I wasn't aware of these incidents, and Richard Gee's death drew my attention to it this week. --Canley (talk) 22:47, 4 January 2017 (UTC)

Country Labor Party listed at Redirects for discussion[edit]

Information.svg

An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect Country Labor Party. Since you had some involvement with the Country Labor Party redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. - CHAMPION (talk) (contributions) (logs) 03:04, 9 January 2017 (UTC)

Candidates of the next Australian federal election listed at Redirects for discussion[edit]

Information.svg

An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect Candidates of the next Australian federal election. Since you had some involvement with the Candidates of the next Australian federal election redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. Thryduulf (talk) 00:15, 11 January 2017 (UTC)

Advice on 2 articles pls[edit]

Hi Canley, Can I have some advice please? I've only started 2 articles and am confused with both. The first, Orange Sky Laundry still has my draft in my user space (User:JennyOz/sandbox/Draft1). I'm thinking I need to add the db-author template to it somewhere?

The second is Rhiannan Iffland. I moved it to main space on 24 Dec. I think it is yet to be reviewed (I have not received any notification that it has been) and I'm not sure if I broke something. I nominated it at DYK, and the hook has just been reviewed (see article's talk page) but I suspect the hook reviewer, not being an admin (?) cannot see that the article is un-reviewed/patrolled? Thanks for any help with my confusion. JennyOz (talk) 03:04, 29 January 2017 (UTC)

Thanks so much Canley for reviewing Iffland and for your advice. JennyOz (talk) 12:55, 29 January 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter - February 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2017). This first issue is being sent out to all administrators, if you wish to keep receiving it please subscribe. Your feedback is welcomed.

Admin mop.PNG Administrator changes

Gnome-colors-list-add.svg NinjaRobotPirateSchwede66K6kaEaldgythFerretCyberpower678Mz7PrimefacDodger67
Gnome-colors-list-remove.svg BriangottsJeremyABU Rob13

Green check.svg Guideline and policy news

Octicons-tools.svg Technical news

  • When performing some administrative actions the reason field briefly gave suggestions as text was typed. This change has since been reverted so that issues with the implementation can be addressed. (T34950)
  • Following the latest RfC concluding that Pending Changes 2 should not be used on the English Wikipedia, an RfC closed with consensus to remove the options for using it from the page protection interface, a change which has now been made. (T156448)
  • The Foundation has announced a new community health initiative to combat harassment. This should bring numerous improvements to tools for admins and CheckUsers in 2017.

Scale of justice 2.svg Arbitration

Nuvola apps knewsticker.png Obituaries

  • JohnCD (John Cameron Deas) passed away on 30 December 2016. John began editing Wikipedia seriously during 2007 and became an administrator in November 2009.

13:38, 1 February 2017 (UTC)

Dowie sculpture[edit]

Hi. Waaay back in 2008 you created John Dowie (artist) saying "His work includes ... the Sir Ross Smith Memorial at Adelaide Airport". Were you referring to File:Ross Smith.jpg? If so, indications are that is not Dowie's work. If you are referring to something else, can you please supply more information? Thanks in advance, Pdfpdf (talk) 21:08, 4 February 2017 (UTC)

That sculpture you link to the photo of is not the one I was referring to by John Dowie – isn't that one at the University of Adelaide, not the airport? The sculpture Dowie did is a sandstone sculpture not bronze, and is actually four figures (Ross Smith, Keith Smith, Bennett and Shears, who were the crew of a Vickers Vimy flight from the UK to Australia). Pic of it here, the page says it is hidden away near the disused domestic terminal in a memorial building with the Vickers plane, however Adelaide Airport have set up a Vimy Walk from Terminal 1 to the memorial. Looks like the title refers to Keith Smith as well, so I'll update that to distinguish it. I believe I referenced the list of works to Dowie's Senior Australian of the Year citation, which just refers to it as the "Ross Smith Memorial at Adelaide Airport". --Canley (talk) 23:20, 4 February 2017 (UTC)
isn't that one at the University of Adelaide, not the airport? - I'll be honest; I have no idea where it is. I don't recall seeing it at the Uni. I don't know why I assumed it was at the airport. Never mind; given it wan't the one you were referring to, it's all a bit academic. (Though now you have me wondering!)
Yes, I know exactly the one you are referring to. It is part of one of the walls of the building that houses the Vickers Vimy - or at least, it used to be. I didn't realise that was Dowie's work. I haven't seen it for years. Thanks for that; I'm tempted to drive down there and see if it's accessible. (I bet there's no parking anywhere nearby!) Cheers (and thanks), Pdfpdf (talk) 23:43, 4 February 2017 (UTC)

ThoughtAudio Review Request[edit]

I am seeking independent and neutral viewpoints on the article ThoughtAudio, which is being considered for deletion. If you have a few minutes to review it, I would appreciate your article contributions and opinion on the decision as to whether it merits being retained and improved, or deleted. ThoughtAudio was targeted by the same editor that made a failed attempt to delete the wikiquote article Michael Scott Gallegos. There are only 3 reviews/votes so far. I am hoping that a minority viewpoint as to the worthiness of the article will not prevail. My work is mainly in the creation of new wikiquote articles @ELApro and time is rarely spent in unproductive controversy. I am a long time editor for Wikipedia, but have not created many articles here. I would much appreciate your advice and/or contributions with regard to the process. ELApro (talk) 23:01, 6 February 2017 (UTC)

sysop oz[edit]

your opinion? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Bgcaus and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bgcaus - seems to not undestand COI ? JarrahTree 06:01, 13 February 2017 (UTC)

I'll keep an eye on it, but the edits seem pretty mild so far. --Canley (talk) 00:23, 14 February 2017 (UTC)

Harry M. Miller[edit]

Would you mind having a look at my edit on this article and my comments on the talk page? As a significant contributor to the article I would appreciative your view on this matter. Cheers Castlemate (talk) 02:28, 17 February 2017 (UTC)

Wikiproject![edit]

Hello, Canley! I saw you recently edited a page related to the Green party and green politics. There is a new WikiProject that has been formed - WikiProject Green Politics and I thought this might be something you'd be interested in joining! So please head on over to the project page and take a look! Thanks for your time. Me-123567-Me (talk) 17:27, 22 February 2017 (UTC)

Max Angus[edit]

Thanks for creating the Angus page so quickly. I posted his obituary on the current deaths page and right away a page was created. Kudos. PedanticallySpeaking (talk) 16:38, 25 February 2017 (UTC).

Administrators' newsletter – March 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2017).

Admin mop.PNG Administrator changes

Gnome-colors-list-add.svg AmortiasDeckillerBU Rob13
Gnome-colors-list-remove.svg RonnotelIslanderChamal NIsomorphicKeeper76Lord VoldemortSherethBdeshamPjacobi

Green check.svg Guideline and policy news

Octicons-tools.svg Technical news

  • A recent query shows that only 16% of administrators on the English Wikipedia have enabled two-factor authentication. If you haven't already enabled it please consider doing so.
  • Cookie blocks should be deployed to the English Wikipedia soon. This will extend the current autoblock system by setting a cookie for each block, which will then autoblock the user after they switch accounts under a new IP.
  • A bot will now automatically place a protection template on protected pages when admins forget to do so.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 05:14, 1 March 2017 (UTC)

Nardella succession[edit]

You are indeed correct. Sorry for jumping the gun! Frickeg (talk) 06:57, 1 March 2017 (UTC)

Current Queensland parliament term[edit]

See my comments on the talk page for Members of the Queensland Legislative Assembly, 2015–2019. As noted there, the current parliament still expires in 2018 and I propose fix the article accordingly unless any objections are received. Alaric004 (talk) 06:59, 2 March 2017 (UTC)

Thanks for quick agreement. Change has been made. Alaric004 (talk) 08:03, 2 March 2017 (UTC)

Fair Use in Australia discussion[edit]

As an Australian Wikipedian, your opinion is sought on a proposal to advocate for the introduction of Fair Use into Australian copyright law. The discussion is taking place at the Australian Wikipedians' notice board, please read the proposal and comment there. MediaWiki message delivery MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:08, 2 March 2017 (UTC)

This message has been automatically sent to all users in Category:Australian Wikipedians. If you do not wish to receive further messages like this, please either remove your user page from this category, or add yourself to Category:Opted-out of message delivery

Disambiguation link notification for March 10[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Queensland state election, 1904, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page The Worker. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 10:30, 10 March 2017 (UTC)

ITN recognition for Bill Leak[edit]

Gnome globe current event.svg On 11 March 2017, In the news was updated with an item that involved the article Bill Leak, which you updated. If you know of another recently created or updated article suitable for inclusion in ITN, please suggest it on the candidates page. Stephen 01:14, 11 March 2017 (UTC)

Independents[edit]

Just saw your message on Frickeg's talk page - Jim Bivoltsis in Churchlands was the only other one independent both times. Probably not useful: but in Pilbara, 2013 independent Brent McKenna was the Green candidate in 2016. The Drover's Wife (talk) 05:32, 16 March 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – April 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (March 2017).

Administrator changes

added TheDJ
removed XnualaCJOldelpasoBerean HunterJimbo WalesAndrew cKaranacsModemacScott

Guideline and policy news

  • Following a discussion on the backlog of unpatrolled files, consensus was found to create a new user right for autopatrolling file uploads. Implementation progress can be tracked on Phabricator.
  • The BLPPROD grandfather clause, which stated that unreferenced biographies of living persons were only eligible for proposed deletion if they were created after March 18, 2010, has been removed following an RfC.
  • An RfC has closed with consensus to allow proposed deletion of files. The implementation process is ongoing.
  • After an unsuccessful proposal to automatically grant IP block exemption, consensus was found to relax the criteria for granting the user right from needing it to wanting it.

Technical news

  • After a recent RfC, moved pages will soon be featured in a queue similar to Special:NewPagesFeed and require patrolling. Moves by administrators, page movers, and autopatrolled editors will be automatically marked as patrolled.
  • Cookie blocks have been deployed. This extends the current autoblock system by setting a cookie for each block, which will then autoblock the user if they switch accounts, even under a new IP.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:54, 1 April 2017 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for April 9[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Eric Hutchinson (politician), you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Stephen Parry. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:39, 9 April 2017 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for April 25[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Rod Oliver, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Denis Collins. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:52, 25 April 2017 (UTC)

Jonathan Demme[edit]

Hi Canley. Thanks for your edits at Jonathan Demme. I wonder would you consider adding your support for an RD posting at Wikipedia:In the news/Candidates? Many thanks. Martinevans123 (talk) 22:30, 26 April 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – May 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (April 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added KaranacsBerean HunterGoldenRingDlohcierekim
removed GdrTyreniusJYolkowskiLonghairMaster Thief GarrettAaron BrennemanLaser brainJzGDragons flight

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

Miscellaneous

  • Following an RfC, the editing restrictions page is now split into a list of active restrictions and an archive of those that are old or on inactive accounts. Make sure to check both pages if searching for a restriction.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:19, 2 May 2017 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for May 8[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Stanley Burbury, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Guy Green. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 10:08, 8 May 2017 (UTC)

Mark Colvin[edit]

My changes were not vandalism but correcting inaccuracy. The ABC obituary is scrupulously accurate; the Guardian one is inaccurate in the same way that the Wikipedia article was before my correction. If you alter it, you will be dishonouring the article's subject. Feneso (talk) 05:34, 1 June 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – June 2017[edit]

ANEWSicon.png

News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2017).

Administrator changes

added Doug BellDennis BrownClpo13ONUnicorn
removed ThaddeusBYandmanBjarki SOldakQuillShyamJondelWorm That Turned

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:40, 1 June 2017 (UTC)

WP:ALTNAME[edit]

Saw your recent edits to Harry Edwards (Australian politician) and others. I had absolutely no idea about this. Is it new, or has it just completely flown over my head all these years? I'm not sure I entirely agree with it, given there are so many possible diminutives of most names, not to mention distinguishing between diminutives and other nicknames seems like a fuzzy line to draw. I'm afraid there will be literally hundreds of pages I've created and edited in violation of this. Frickeg (talk) 01:19, 3 June 2017 (UTC)

Thanks for linking the RfC! It would have been nice if it was advertised a bit more widely, given how significant its impact is - I had no idea it had gone on. But this is how it tends to be with the MOS - I can't count the number of times I've stumbled upon a change that was decided by twelve or so editors despite the fact that it affects millions of biographies, with most editors probably having had no inkling of it going on. RfCs should really be flagged on the watchlist page (like RfAs), but that's an argument for another time, I guess. Frickeg (talk) 01:47, 3 June 2017 (UTC)
Sorry to go on about this, but I was just looking at the RFCs page and it struck me how absurd it is that we use the same system for article-specific questions (one current one involves the inclusion of Isadora Duncan on List of unusual deaths) as for encyclopedia-wide changes like the one above. I don't know that I'm ready to lead the charge to change it, but it really needs changing. Frickeg (talk) 01:54, 3 June 2017 (UTC)

strategy[edit]

I know we met and spoke at the Melbourne meetup - at this stage I am compiling a report about the Cycle 2 stage of the strategy - any more recent thoughts - you would like to share on wiki or off? - no problems if you feel you have done your bit - this is to let you know there is still the option of further comment, if you so wish at this stage - cheers JarrahTree 04:05, 11 June 2017 (UTC)

WA[edit]

Sorry, it must be late, but I can't quite figure out what you mean. Are we talking 2PP/2CP-type stuff again? Frickeg (talk) 12:08, 21 June 2017 (UTC)

I think I see. That's the thing, though - the swings were not based on the notional Lib/ALP (2PP) count, they were based on the Lib/whoever else (2CP) count (so we had Labor going backwards by 13.6% in Central Wheatbelt, when the Nats' margin was 13.6% larger compared to their old margin over the Libs). Albany is of course atypical as it is the only one where one of the Coalition parties replaced the other; the rest were all Labor replacing Lib or Nat (or the Independent in Baldivis replacing the Lib). Frickeg (talk) 12:31, 21 June 2017 (UTC) Frickeg (talk) 12:31, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
Yes, you're right about Kwinana - I guess the redistribution took out a lot of Carol Adams' best territory. Thanks for picking that up; I've reverted myself on that one. Not sure how some of the district pages have ended up different, but not all of them have (Electoral district of Kalgoorlie, for instance). Frickeg (talk) 12:57, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
Thanks for taking care of all this. :) Frickeg (talk) 07:38, 25 June 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – July 2017[edit]

ANEWSicon.png

News and updates for administrators from the past month (June 2017).

Administrator changes

added Happyme22Dragons flight
removed Zad68

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

Miscellaneous

  • A newly revamped database report can help identify users who may be eligible to be autopatrolled.
  • A potentially compromised account from 2001–2002 attempted to request resysop. Please practice appropriate account security by using a unique password for Wikipedia, and consider enabling two-factor authentication. Currently around 17% of admins have enabled 2FA, up from 16% in February 2017.
  • Did you know: On 29 June 2017, there were 1,261 administrators on the English Wikipedia – the exact number of administrators as there were ten years ago on 29 June 2007. Since that time, the English Wikipedia has grown from 1.85 million articles to over 5.43 million.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:59, 6 July 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – August 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (July 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added AnarchyteGeneralizationsAreBadCullen328 (first RfA to reach WP:300)
removed CpromptRockpocketRambo's RevengeAnimumTexasAndroidChuck SMITHMikeLynchCrazytalesAd Orientem

Guideline and policy news

Technical news


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:11, 1 August 2017 (UTC)

Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 listed at Redirects for discussion[edit]

Information.svg

An editor has asked for a discussion to address the redirect Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000. Since you had some involvement with the Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 redirect, you might want to participate in the redirect discussion if you have not already done so. - CHAMPION (talk) (contributions) (logs) 05:57, 9 August 2017 (UTC)

Random acknowledgement[edit]

a.k.a. Attempted positive acknowledgement of your activities.
You seem to feature frequently on my watchlist, and it's a joy not to feel the need to examine what you've done. (Unlike IP addresses ... ) Thank you! Pdfpdf (talk) 12:57, 11 August 2017 (UTC)

Thank you! :) --Canley (talk) 23:00, 11 August 2017 (UTC)

Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey[edit]

Me again. Talk:Australian survey, 2017 (Marriage)#Requested move 10 August 2017 seems to agree with you that it should be called Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey. Do you know how to get this to happen in a way that's not problematic? (i.e. I don't.) Pdfpdf (talk) 12:22, 16 August 2017 (UTC)

(i.e. I could do the move myself, but I'm wary of the s**t-storm that might descend upon me if I did so! Pdfpdf (talk) 12:27, 16 August 2017 (UTC))
Sure, I'll give it another day but I'm happy to move it if the consensus holds and it looks like it will. --Canley (talk) 12:36, 16 August 2017 (UTC)
OK. So yet again my problem is that I'm not sufficiently patient. (You'd be entitled to think that after raising two kids into their twenties I'd be just a tiny bit more patient than I was 20 years ago ... ) Pdfpdf (talk) 12:46, 16 August 2017 (UTC)

Ways to improve Super Cassette Vision[edit]

Hi, I'm Shoy. Canley, thanks for creating Super Cassette Vision!

I've just tagged the page, using our page curation tools, as having some issues to fix. Could you please add sources? Even sources in Japanese would be fine.

The tags can be removed by you or another editor once the issues they mention are addressed. If you have questions, you can leave a comment on my talk page. Or, for more editing help, talk to the volunteers at the Teahouse.

shoy (reactions) 15:03, 25 August 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – September 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added NakonScott
removed SverdrupThespianElockidJames086FfirehorseCelestianpowerBoing! said Zebedee

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

  • You will now get a notification when someone tries to log in to your account and fails. If they try from a device that has logged into your account before, you will be notified after five failed attempts. You can also set in your preferences to get an email when someone logs in to your account from a new device or IP address, which may be encouraged for admins and accounts with sensitive permissions.
  • Syntax highlighting is now available as a beta feature (more info). This may assist administrators and template editors when dealing with intricate syntax of high-risk templates and system messages.
  • In your notification preferences, you can now block specific users from pinging you. This functionality will soon be available for Special:EmailUser as well.

Arbitration

  • Applications for CheckUser and Oversight are being accepted by the Arbitration Committee until September 12. Community discussion of the candidates will begin on September 18.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:35, 1 September 2017 (UTC)

Denise Spencer[edit]

Hi. You need to provide reliable sources for the changes you made on this article, esp. as they have WP:BLP issues. You'd think an admin would be aware of this... Lugnuts Fire Walk with Me 08:59, 2 September 2017 (UTC)

Invitation to Admin confidence survey[edit]

Hello,

Beginning in September 2017, the Wikimedia Foundation Anti-harassment tool team will be conducting a survey to gauge how well tools, training, and information exists to assist English Wikipedia administrators in recognizing and mitigating things like sockpuppetry, vandalism, and harassment.

The survey should only take 5 minutes, and your individual response will not be made public. This survey will be integral for our team to determine how to better support administrators.

To take the survey sign up here and we will send you a link to the form.

We really appreciate your input!

Please let us know if you wish to opt-out of all massmessage mailings from the Anti-harassment tools team.

For the Anti-harassment tools team, SPoore (WMF), Community Advocate, Community health initiative (talk) 19:52, 13 September 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – October 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (September 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added Boing! said ZebedeeAnsh666Ad Orientem
removed TonywaltonAmiDanielSilenceBanyanTreeMagioladitisVanamonde93Mr.Z-manJdavidbJakecRam-ManYelyosKurt Shaped Box

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

Arbitration

  • Community consultation on the 2017 candidates for CheckUser and Oversight has concluded. The Arbitration Committee will appoint successful candidates by October 11.
  • A request for comment is open regarding the structure, rules, and procedures of the December 2017 Arbitration Committee election, and how to resolve any issues not covered by existing rules.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:23, 2 October 2017 (UTC)

WikiProject Women in Red/The World Contest[edit]

Hi. Thankyou for your participation in the challenge series or/and contests. In November The Women in Red World Contest is being held to try to produce new articles for as many countries worldwide and occupations as possible. There will be over $4000 in prizes to win, including Amazon vouchers and paid subscriptions. If this would appeal to you and you think you'd be interested in contributing new articles on women during this month for your region or wherever please sign up in the participants section. The articles done may also count towards the ongoing challenge. If you're not interested in prize money yourself but are willing to participate and raise money to buy books about women for others to use, this is also fine. Help would also be appreciated in drawing up the lists of missing articles. If you think of any missing articles please add them to the sub lists by continent at Missing articles. Thankyou, and if taking part, good luck!♦ Dr. Blofeld 09:07, 5 October 2017 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for October 9[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Albert Field, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Durrington (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:05, 9 October 2017 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – November 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (October 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added LonghairMegalibrarygirlTonyBallioniVanamonde93
removed Allen3Eluchil404Arthur RubinBencherlite

Technical news

Arbitration

Obituaries

  • The Wikipedia community has recently learned that Allen3 (William Allen Peckham) passed away on December 30, 2016, the same day as JohnCD. Allen began editing in 2005 and became an administrator that same year.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:50, 2 November 2017 (UTC)

A kitten for you![edit]

Iris cat.jpg

hi Canley, sorry if i broke the O'Halloran talkpage.

Coolabahapple (talk) 06:14, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

Mary McConnel (pioneer)[edit]

In the lede, you call her Mary MacLeod McConnel, but I cannot see why you do so. MacLeod (or McLeod, as it also appears) is her maiden surname, but I can't see any evidence that she used it as a middle name after marriage? Kerry (talk) 23:24, 3 November 2017 (UTC)

All the electoral district maps are now uploaded largely through the heroic efforts of User:JacintaJS. Vote 1 for JacintaJS!. Kerry (talk) 12:37, 6 November 2017 (UTC)

mail[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Canley. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.

JarrahTree 01:19, 23 November 2017 (UTC)

Women in Red World Contest[edit]

Hi. We're into the last five days of the Women in Red World Contest. There's a new bonus prize of $200 worth of books of your choice to win for creating the most new women biographies between 0:00 on the 26th and 23:59 on 30th November. If you've been contributing to the contest, thank you for your support, we've produced over 2000 articles. If you haven't contributed yet, we would appreciate you taking the time to add entries to our articles achievements list by the end of the month. Thank you, and if participating, good luck with the finale!

Administrators' newsletter – December 2017[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (November 2017).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added Joe Roe
readded JzG
removed EricorbitPercevalThinggTristanbVioletriga

Guideline and policy news

  • Following a request for comment, a new section has been added to the username policy which disallows usernames containing emoji, emoticons or otherwise "decorative" usernames, and usernames that use any non-language symbols. Administrators should discuss issues related to these types of usernames before blocking.

Technical news

Arbitration

Miscellaneous

  • Over the last few months, several users have reported backlogs that require administrator attention at WP:ANI, with the most common backlogs showing up on WP:SPI, WP:AIV and WP:RFPP. It is requested that all administrators take some time during this month to help clear backlogs wherever possible. It should be noted that AIV reports are not always valid; however, they still need to be cleared, which may include needing to remind users on what qualifies as vandalism.
  • The Wikimedia Foundation Community health initiative is conducting a survey for English Wikipedia contributors on their experience and satisfaction level with Administrator’s Noticeboard/Incidents. This survey will be integral to gathering information about how this noticeboard works (i.e. which problems it deals with well and which problems it struggles with). If you would like to take this survey, please sign up on this page, and a link for the survey will be emailed to you via Special:EmailUser.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:57, 2 December 2017 (UTC)

ArbCom 2017 election voter message[edit]

Scale of justice 2.svg Hello, Canley. Voting in the 2017 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 10 December. All users who registered an account before Saturday, 28 October 2017, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Wednesday, 1 November 2017 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2017 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 3 December 2017 (UTC)

Callide[edit]

Something went very wrong here when you updated the table, but I lack the template nous to figure it out. Any ideas? The Drover's Wife (talk) 01:58, 10 December 2017 (UTC)

Thanks, just needed an “Election end box”. —Canley (talk) 02:21, 10 December 2017 (UTC)

Smile![edit]

To your hard work! Jono52795 (talk) 13:22, 14 December 2017 (UTC)