This user has administrator privileges on the English Wikipedia.

User talk:Ceranthor

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
enThis user is a native speaker of the English language.
de-1Dieser Benutzer hat grundlegende Deutschkenntnisse.
es-3Este usuario puede contribuir con un nivel avanzado de español.
ase-1This user can communicate at a basic level in American Sign Language.

You may have known me as LordSunday, Meldshal (a redirect), or Meldshal42.

Alternate accounts (all now unused), but declaring them nonetheless:

Contents

Administrators' newsletter – June 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (May 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added None
removed Al Ameer sonAliveFreeHappyCenariumLupoMichaelBillington

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

  • IP-based cookie blocks should be deployed to English Wikipedia in June. This will cause the block of a logged-out user to be reloaded if they change IPs. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. For the time being, it only affects users of the desktop interface.
  • The Wikimedia Foundation's Anti-Harassment Tools team will build granular types of blocks in 2018 (e.g. a block from uploading or editing specific pages, categories, or namespaces, as opposed to a full-site block). Feedback on the concept may be left at the talk page.
  • There is now a checkbox on Special:ListUsers to let you see only users in temporary user groups.
  • It is now easier for blocked mobile users to see why they were blocked.

Arbitration

  • A recent technical issue with the Arbitration Committee's spam filter inadvertently caused all messages sent to the committee through Wikipedia (i.e. Special:EmailUser/Arbitration Committee) to be discarded. If you attempted to send an email to the Arbitration Committee via Wikipedia between May 16 and May 31, your message was not received and you are encouraged to resend it. Messages sent outside of these dates or directly to the Arbitration Committee email address were not affected by this issue.

Miscellaneous


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:59, 1 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Diamond Peak (Oregon)[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Diamond Peak (Oregon) you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Argento Surfer -- Argento Surfer (talk) 20:21, 4 June 2018 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Original Barnstar Hires.png The Original Barnstar
Harry R. Truman is a truly amazing contribution to Wikipedia. Thank you so much for your work on this article. It was a great read! ---Coffeeandcrumbs 04:56, 5 June 2018 (UTC)
@Coffeeandcrumbs: Thanks! I appreciate the sentiment. :) ceranthor 14:53, 5 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Diamond Peak (Oregon)[edit]

The article Diamond Peak (Oregon) you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Diamond Peak (Oregon) for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Argento Surfer -- Argento Surfer (talk) 16:21, 6 June 2018 (UTC)

Thank you, Argento Surfer, for your thorough review and speedy responses. ceranthor 16:28, 6 June 2018 (UTC)

Thanks for the GA reviews[edit]

Thanks for reviewing Tacora and Sollipulli. I shall probably review one of your noms such as Big Cave, West Crater and Trout Creek Hill in the next few days since I usually submit GA candidates without reviewing many myself. Apropos, would you think that Ubinas and Llullaillaco would stand a chance at FAC? I've still practicing on the FAC writing business. Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 20:35, 8 June 2018 (UTC)

That would be great! From a glance, both seem fairly comprehensive and well-organized. I'd have to read more closely to get an idea of the prose, which I'd be happy to do some time this week. ceranthor 20:36, 8 June 2018 (UTC)
Jo-Jo Eumerus, I'll get to these in the next day or so. Sorry for the delay. ceranthor 14:30, 16 June 2018 (UTC)
@Jo-Jo Eumerus: Running through and copyediting now. I think they are both in good shape, but I would want the prose to be tightened up a bit before I personally would support either at FAC. Happy to help though, and I would be happy to leave comments for you at their respective talk pages or somewhere else. ceranthor 18:12, 16 June 2018 (UTC)
Argh. Seems like I need some more learning on prose-writing then (over the long term I am planning to send a few more articles to FAC, getting them ready is the key hurdle). On the talk pages is fine. Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 19:15, 16 June 2018 (UTC)
I see that Taapaca has been promoted. Do you think that Ubinas is now ready to be sent to FAC? Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 20:10, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
Jo-Jo Eumerus, congrats on the promotion! I've been keeping an eye on it. I'll run through when I have some free time today. ceranthor 20:29, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
Thanks! I've lately also penned up Wōdejebato but that's probably for later. I am guessing that Three Fingered Jack is your current project? Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 20:36, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
It is; I'm starting work on bringing Silver Star Mountain (Skamania County, Washington) to GA and trying to nominate Mazama for FAC shortly. ceranthor 22:52, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
Jo-Jo Eumerus, I am sorry I didn't get around to it last night. I will definitely make some copyedits tonight through tomorrow and let you know what I think. ceranthor 22:34, 10 July 2018 (UTC)
@Jo-Jo Eumerus: Just nominated Mazama at FAC. ceranthor 18:34, 14 July 2018 (UTC)
Aye, saw that on my Watchlist. I'll see if I can squeeze some comments in tomorrow between working on TVTropes and User:Jo-Jo Eumerus/Limalok. Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 18:41, 14 July 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of West Crater[edit]

The article West Crater you nominated as a good article has been placed on hold Symbol wait.svg. The article is close to meeting the good article criteria, but there are some minor changes or clarifications needing to be addressed. If these are fixed within 7 days, the article will pass; otherwise it may fail. See Talk:West Crater for things which need to be addressed. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Freikorp -- Freikorp (talk) 07:20, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Big Cave[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Big Cave you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Jo-Jo Eumerus -- Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk) 09:20, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Trout Creek Hill[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Trout Creek Hill you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Jo-Jo Eumerus -- Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk) 10:01, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

@Jo-Jo Eumerus: Will get to these reviews ASAP. Thanks for your help. ceranthor 14:57, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Mount McLoughlin[edit]

The article Mount McLoughlin you nominated as a good article has been placed on hold Symbol wait.svg. The article is close to meeting the good article criteria, but there are some minor changes or clarifications needing to be addressed. If these are fixed within 7 days, the article will pass; otherwise it may fail. See Talk:Mount McLoughlin for things which need to be addressed. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Freikorp -- Freikorp (talk) 03:20, 10 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Big Cave[edit]

The article Big Cave you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Big Cave for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Jo-Jo Eumerus -- Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk) 16:01, 10 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Trout Creek Hill[edit]

The article Trout Creek Hill you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Trout Creek Hill for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Jo-Jo Eumerus -- Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk) 16:01, 10 June 2018 (UTC)

Thanks, Jo-Jo Eumerus, for both speedy reviews! I'll be sure to read through your two potential FACs as soon as I get some free time. ceranthor 16:17, 10 June 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CXLVI, June 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 10:35, 11 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Mount Mazama[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Mount Mazama you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Freikorp -- Freikorp (talk) 09:00, 17 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Mount Mazama[edit]

The article Mount Mazama you nominated as a good article has been placed on hold Symbol wait.svg. The article is close to meeting the good article criteria, but there are some minor changes or clarifications needing to be addressed. If these are fixed within 7 days, the article will pass; otherwise it may fail. See Talk:Mount Mazama for things which need to be addressed. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Freikorp -- Freikorp (talk) 10:40, 17 June 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Mount Mazama[edit]

The article Mount Mazama you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Mount Mazama for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Freikorp -- Freikorp (talk) 02:01, 18 June 2018 (UTC)

WikiCup 2018 July newsletter[edit]

The third round of the 2018 WikiCup has now come to an end. The 16 users who made it to the fourth round had at least 227 points. Our top scorers in round 3 were:

  • South Carolina Courcelles, a first time contestant, with 1756 points, a tally built largely on 27 GAs related to the Olympics
  • Scotland Cas Liber, our winner in 2016, with two featured articles and three GAs on natural history and astronomy topics
  • Cascadia (independence movement) SounderBruce, a finalist last year, with a variety of submissions related to transport in the state of Washington

Contestants managed 7 featured articles, 4 featured lists, 120 good articles, 1 good topic, 124 DYK entries, 15 ITN entries, and 132 good article reviews. Over the course of the competition, contestants have completed 458 GA reviews, in comparison to 244 good articles submitted for review and promoted. As we enter the fourth round, remember that any content promoted after the end of round 3 but before the start of round 4 can be claimed in round 4. Please also remember that you must claim your points within 14 days of "earning" them. When doing GARs, please make sure that you check that all the GA criteria are fully met. Please also remember that all submissions must meet core Wikipedia policies, regardless of the review process; several submissions, particularly in abstruse or technical areas, have needed additional work to make them completely verifiable.

If you are concerned that your nomination—whether it is at good article nominations, a featured process, or anywhere else—will not receive the necessary reviews, please list it on Wikipedia:WikiCup/Reviews Needed (remember to remove your listing when no longer required). Questions are welcome on Wikipedia talk:WikiCup, and the judges are reachable on their talk pages or by email. Good luck! If you wish to start or stop receiving this newsletter, please feel free to add or remove your name from Wikipedia:WikiCup/Newsletter/Send. Godot13 (talk), Sturmvogel 66 (talk), Cwmhiraeth (talk), Vanamonde (talk) 04:55, 2 July 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – July 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (June 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added PbsouthwoodTheSandDoctor
readded Gogo Dodo
removed AndrevanDougEVulaKaisaLTony FoxWilyD

Bureaucrat changes

removed AndrevanEVula

Guideline and policy news

  • An RfC about the deletion of drafts closed with a consensus to change the wording of WP:NMFD. Specifically, a draft that has been repeatedly resubmitted and declined at AfC without any substantial improvement may be deleted at MfD if consensus determines that it is unlikely to ever meet the requirements for mainspace and it otherwise meets one of the reasons for deletion outlined in the deletion policy.
  • A request for comment closed with a consensus that the {{promising draft}} template cannot be used to indefinitely prevent a WP:G13 speedy deletion nomination.

Technical news

  • Starting on July 9, the WMF Security team, Trust & Safety, and the broader technical community will be seeking input on an upcoming change that will restrict editing of site-wide JavaScript and CSS to a new technical administrators user group. Bureaucrats and stewards will be able to grant this right per a community-defined process. The intention is to reduce the number of accounts who can edit frontend code to those who actually need to, which in turn lessens the risk of malicious code being added that compromises the security and privacy of everyone who accesses Wikipedia. For more information, please review the FAQ.
  • Syntax highlighting has been graduated from a Beta feature on the English Wikipedia. To enable this feature, click the highlighter icon (Codemirror-icon.png) in your editing toolbar (or under the hamburger menu in the 2017 wikitext editor). This feature can help prevent you from making mistakes when editing complex templates.
  • IP-based cookie blocks should be deployed to English Wikipedia in July (previously scheduled for June). This will cause the block of a logged-out user to be reloaded if they change IPs. This means in most cases, you may no longer need to do /64 range blocks on residential IPv6 addresses in order to effectively block the end user. It will also help combat abuse from IP hoppers in general. For the time being, it only affects users of the desktop interface.

Miscellaneous

  • Currently around 20% of admins have enabled two-factor authentication, up from 17% a year ago. If you haven't already enabled it, please consider doing so. Regardless if you use 2FA, please practice appropriate account security by ensuring your password is secure and unique to Wikimedia.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:22, 3 July 2018 (UTC)

Morgan Morgan Monument[edit]

Good day Ceranthor! I wanted to thank you again for your phenomenal GA review of Morgan Morgan Monument, and I would like to apologize again for not responding within the appropriate amount of time. I had a moment to incorporate all your suggested edits, and I have renominated the article to GAN accordingly. I will understand if you do not want to take this one on, but if you decide to, I will immediately address your comments. -- West Virginian (talk) 18:29, 6 July 2018 (UTC)

Hi, West Virginian, I'd be happy to review it again. I've left a note on the review page. I will try to get to it in the next day. ceranthor 21:41, 6 July 2018 (UTC)
Ceranthor, thank you so much again! I look forward to your further suggestions and guidance! -- West Virginian (talk) 00:54, 7 July 2018 (UTC)
@West Virginian: I just passed the article. I'm still not sure you need the HMDB sources, since that information is supported by two other references in the article already. I'm planning to nominate Three Fingered Jack soon, do you think you could review it once I put it up for GAN? ceranthor 02:27, 7 July 2018 (UTC)
  • Ceranthor, thank you again for taking the time provide this thoughtful and informative review! I would like to keep the HMdb citations for now, and will work on finding another source to validate the text on the monument. I would also be honored to review your article once it is nominated! I appreciate all your continued contributions to Wikipedia! -- West Virginian (talk) 02:42, 7 July 2018 (UTC)
@West Virginian: I've just nominated it for GAN. Thanks! ceranthor 22:33, 7 July 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CXLVII, July 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 12:12, 10 July 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Three Fingered Jack[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Three Fingered Jack you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of West Virginian -- West Virginian (talk) 02:20, 13 July 2018 (UTC)

Great, thanks. ceranthor 03:05, 13 July 2018 (UTC)

TPS Heads up[edit]

Mount Mazama is at FAC - I would love any and all criticism and feedback. Thanks! ceranthor 18:33, 14 July 2018 (UTC)

Frances Gertrude McGill[edit]

Hi Ceranthor — I just wanted to let you know that I've responded to your initial GA review comments on Frances Gertrude McGill. Thanks, Alanna the Brave (talk) 15:39, 27 July 2018 (UTC)

FA nomination[edit]

Hi Ceranthor! I'm thinking about nominating Teresa Sampsonia for FA. As it would be my first FA, I was wondering whether you'd be willing to get involved as mentor (saw your name at WP:FAM). In short: do you think I could nominate it right now, or do you think some things have to get changed/tweaked first? Best, - LouisAragon (talk) 21:46, 1 August 2018 (UTC)

@LouisAragon: From a quick read, I think it needs some fixing up first. I'd be happy to help you out. I see that Mike Christie was the GAN reviewer, and he's reliably thorough, so I suspect there shouldn't be too much that needs to be improved. ceranthor 13:25, 2 August 2018 (UTC)
Awesome. Will you let me know when you're gonna start? - LouisAragon (talk) 19:13, 2 August 2018 (UTC)
Sure - I'm a bit swamped IRL at the moment, but hopefully some time next week. I promise I'll give you a heads up once I'm free. ceranthor 20:10, 2 August 2018 (UTC)
@LouisAragon: Sorry for the delay. RL has been stressful lately. I'm still happy to work with you on this. ceranthor 16:20, 23 August 2018 (UTC)
No problem at all. Life is life ;-) Ready when you are. - LouisAragon (talk) 17:48, 23 August 2018 (UTC)

Cheers![edit]

Premium Reviewer Barnstar Hires.png The Premium Reviewer Barnstar
The devil, as they say, is in the detail :) Many thanks for your detailed review on Cèllere Codex! —SerialNumber54129 paranoia /cheap sh*t room 17:23, 4 August 2018 (UTC)
Thank you, Serial Number 54129! Look forward to working together in the future. ceranthor 18:05, 5 August 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – August 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (July 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added Sro23
readded KaisaLYmblanter

Guideline and policy news

  • After a discussion at Meta, a new user group called "interface administrators" (formerly "technical administrator") has been created. Come the end of August, interface admins will be the only users able to edit site-wide JavaScript and CSS pages like MediaWiki:Common.js and MediaWiki:Common.css, or edit other user's personal JavaScript and CSS. The intention is to improve security and privacy by reducing the number of accounts which could be used to compromise the site or another user's account through malicious code. The new user group can be assigned and revoked by bureaucrats. Discussion is ongoing to establish details for implementing the group on the English Wikipedia.
  • Following a request for comment, the WP:SISTER style guideline now states that in the mainspace, interwiki links to Wikinews should only be made as per the external links guideline. This generally means that within the body of an article, you should not link to Wikinews about a particular event that is only a part of the larger topic. Wikinews links in "external links" sections can be used where helpful, but not automatically if an equivalent article from a reliable news outlet could be linked in the same manner.

Technical news


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:31, 5 August 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Three Fingered Jack[edit]

The article Three Fingered Jack you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Three Fingered Jack for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of West Virginian -- West Virginian (talk) 23:22, 9 August 2018 (UTC)

@West Virginian: Thanks for the review! ceranthor 00:50, 10 August 2018 (UTC)

Spot-checks[edit]

Hello Ceranthor, I went back to working on Regine Velasquez's, which I hope to renom some time soon. I was wondering if you could provide some random spot checks on the sourcing when you get a chance, since it was one of the reasons while it failed its prev nom. It had an issue with copyvio, which I have addressed (a portion of the article got ripped off and appeared on her iTunes bio). Pseud 14 (talk) 02:43, 12 August 2018 (UTC)

Oops - totally thought I had responded to this. @Pseud 14: I'd be happy to help. Just the spot checks? ceranthor 18:39, 14 August 2018 (UTC)
Perfectly fine @Ceranthor:: Yep, random spot checks on the sourcing. I know you had provided your comments on the previous PR and FAC, but if you feel that there's still room to improve before renom I'd be happy to revise, otherwise, i'm good with any help you can provide. Feel free to put in your comments on the article talk page. Pseud 14 (talk) 22:20, 14 August 2018 (UTC)
@Pseud 14: Just to be clear - haven't forgotten about this, just been busy and sick lately. Will try to give you spotchecks ASAP! ceranthor 19:24, 30 August 2018 (UTC)
@Ceranthor: No worries at all. Hoping you get better. No rush at this. Pseud 14 (talk) 15:45, 2 September 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CXLVIII, August 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 08:35, 12 August 2018 (UTC)

Peer review newsletter #1[edit]

Introduction[edit]

Hello to all! I do not intend to write a regular peer review newsletter but there does occasionally come a time when those interested in contributing to peer review should be contacted, and now is one. I've mailed this out to everyone on the peer review volunteers list, and some editors that have contributed to past discussions. Apologies if I've left you off or contacted you and you didn't want it. Next time there is a newsletter / mass message it will be opt in (here), I'll talk about this below - but first:

  • THANK YOU! I want to thank you for your contributions and for volunteering on the list to help out at peer review. Thank you!
  • Peer review is useful! It's good to have an active peer review process. This is often the way that we help new or developing editors understand our ways, and improve the quality of their editing - so it fills an important and necessary gap between the teahouse (kindly introduction to our Wikiways) and GA and FA reviews (specific standards uphelp according to a set of quality criteria). And we should try and improve this process where possible (automate, simplify) so it can be used and maintained easily.

Updates[edit]

It can get quite lonely tinkering with peer review...
With a bit of effort we can renovate the place to look like this!

Update #1: the peer review volunteers list is changing[edit]

The list is here in case you've forgotten: WP:PRV. Kadane has kindly offered to create a bot that will ping editors on the volunteers list with unanswered reviews in their chosen subject areas every so often. You can choose the time interval by changing the "contact" parameter. Options are "never", "monthly", "quarterly", "halfyearly", and "annually". For example:

  • {{PRV|JohnSmith|History of engineering|contact=monthly}} - if placed in the "History" section, JohnSmith will receive an automatic update every month about unanswered peer reviews relating to history.
  • {{PRV|JaneSmith|Mesopotamian geography, Norwegian fjords|contact=annually}} - if placed in the "Geography" section, JaneSmith will receive an automatic update every yearly about unanswered peer reviews in the geography area.

We can at this stage only use the broad peer review section titles to guide what reviews you'd like, but that's better than nothing! You can also set an interest in multiple separate subject areas that will be updated at different times.

Update #2: a (lean) WikiProject Peer review[edit]

I don't think we need a WikiProject with a giant bureaucracy nor all sorts of whiz-bang features. However over the last few years I've found there are times when it would have been useful to have a list of editors that would like to contribute to discussions about the peer review process (e.g. instructions, layout, automation, simplification etc.). Also, it can get kind of lonely on the talk page as I am (correct me if I'm wrong) the only regular contributor, with most editors moving on after 6 - 12 months.

So, I've decided to create "WikiProject Peer review". If you'd like to contribute to the WikiProject, or make yourself available for future newsletters or contact, please add yourself to the list of members.

Update #3: advertising[edit]

We plan to do some advertising of peer review, to let editors know about it and how to volunteer to help, at a couple of different venues (Signpost, Village pump, Teahouse etc.) - but have been waiting until we get this bot + WikiProject set up so we have a way to help interested editors make more enduring contributions. So consider yourself forewarned!

And... that's it!

I wish you all well on your Wikivoyages, Tom (LT) (talk) 00:31, 11 August 2018 (UTC)

WikiCup 2018 September newsletter[edit]

The fourth round of the 2018 WikiCup has now come to an end. The eight users who made it to the final round had to score a minimum of 422 points to qualify, with the top score in the round being 4869 points. The leaders in round 4 were:

  • South Carolina Courcelles scored a magnificent 4869 points, with 92 good articles on Olympics-related themes. Courcelles' bonus points alone exceeded the total score of any of the other contestants!
  • Hel, Poland Kees08 was second with 1155 points, including a high-scoring featured article for Neil Armstrong, two good topics and some Olympics-related good articles.
  • Scotland Cas Liber, with 1066 points, was in third place this round, with two featured articles and a good article, all on natural history topics.
  • Other contestants who qualified for the final round were Marshall Islands Nova Crystallis, Republic of Texas Iazyges, Cascadia (independence movement) SounderBruce, Wales Kosack and United States Ceranthor.

During round four, 6 featured articles and 164 good articles were promoted by WikiCup contestants, 13 articles were included in good topics and 143 good article reviews were performed. There were also 10 "in the news" contributions on the main page and 53 "did you knows". Congratulations to all who participated! It was a generally high-scoring and productive round and I think we can expect a highly competitive finish to the competition.

Remember that any content promoted after the end of round 4 but before the start of round 5 can be claimed in round 5. Remember too that you must claim your points within 10 days of "earning" them. If you are concerned that your nomination will not receive the necessary reviews, please list it on Wikipedia:WikiCup/Reviews. It would be helpful if this list could be cleared of any items no longer relevant. If you want to help out with the WikiCup, please do your bit to keep down the review backlogs! Questions are welcome on Wikipedia talk:WikiCup, and the judges are reachable on their talk pages or by email. Good luck, and let the best editor win! If you wish to start or stop receiving this newsletter, please feel free to add or remove yourself from Wikipedia:WikiCup/Newsletter/Send. Godot13, Sturmvogel 66, Vanamonde and Cwmhiraeth. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:31, 1 September 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – September 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (August 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added None
removed AsterionCrisco 1492KFKudpungLizRandykittySpartaz
renamed Optimist on the runVoice of Clam

Interface administrator changes

added AmorymeltzerMr. StradivariusMusikAnimalMSGJTheDJXaosflux

Guideline and policy news

  • Following a "stop-gap" discussion, six users have temporarily been made interface administrators while discussion is ongoing for a more permanent process for assigning the permission. Interface administrators are now the only editors allowed to edit sitewide CSS and JavaScript pages, as well as CSS/JS pages in another user's userspace. Previously, all administrators had this ability. The right can be granted and revoked by bureaucrats.

Technical news

  • Because of a data centre test you will be able to read but not edit the wikis for up to an hour on 12 September and 10 October. This will start at 14:00 (UTC). You might lose edits if you try to save during this time. The time when you can't edit might be shorter than an hour.
  • Some abuse filter variables have changed. They are now easier to understand for non-experts. The old variables will still work but filter editors are encouraged to replace them with the new ones. You can find the list of changed variables on mediawiki.org. They have a note which says Deprecated. Use ... instead. An example is article_text which is now page_title.
  • Abuse filters can now use how old a page is. The variable is page_age.

Arbitration

  • The Arbitration Committee has resolved to perform a round of Checkuser and Oversight appointments. The usernames of all applicants will be shared with the Functionaries team, and they will be requested to assist in the vetting process. The deadline to submit an application is 23:59 UTC, 12 September, and the candidates that move forward will be published on-wiki for community comments on 18 September.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:23, 2 September 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CXLIX, September 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 22:19, 10 September 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – October 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (September 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

added JustlettersandnumbersL235
removed BgwhiteHorsePunchKidJ GrebKillerChihuahuaRami RWinhunter

Interface administrator changes

added Cyberpower678Deryck ChanOshwahPharosRagesossRitchie333

Oversight changes

removed Guerillero NativeForeigner SnowolfXeno

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

  • Partial blocks should be available for testing in October on the Test Wikipedia and the Beta-Cluster. This new feature allows admins to block users from editing specific pages and in the near-future, namespaces and uploading files. You can expect more updates and an invitation to help with testing once it is available.
  • The Foundations' Anti-Harassment Tools team is currently looking for input on how to measure the effectiveness of blocks. This is in particular related to how they will measure the success of the aforementioned partial blocks.
  • Because of a data centre test, you will be able to read but not edit the Wikimedia projects for up to an hour on 10 October. This will start at 14:00 (UTC). You might lose edits if you try to save during this time.

Arbitration

  • The Arbitration Committee has, by motion, amended the procedure on functionary inactivity.
  • The community consultation for 2018 CheckUser and Oversight appointments has concluded. Appointments will be made by October 11.
  • Following a request for comment, the size of the Arbitration Committee will be decreased to 13 arbitrators, starting in 2019. Additionally, the minimum support percentage required to be appointed to a two-year term on ArbCom has been increased to 60%. ArbCom candidates who receive between 50% and 60% support will be appointed to one-year terms instead.
  • Nominations for the 2018 Arbitration Committee Electoral Commission are being accepted until 12 October. These are the editors who help run the ArbCom election smoothly. If you are interested in volunteering for this role, please consider nominating yourself.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:13, 5 October 2018 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for October 6[edit]

An automated process has detected that when you recently edited Boring Lava Field, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Scarp (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver).

(Opt-out instructions.) --DPL bot (talk) 09:26, 6 October 2018 (UTC)

Oops. ceranthor 18:18, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CL, October 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 07:00, 7 October 2018 (UTC)

Talk:P. K. Sen (surgeon)/GA1[edit]

Ceranthor, as you weren't pinged you probably didn't realize that the nominator of this GAN, which you were reviewing, has withdrawn the nomination. You'll want to close the review as unsuccessful. Many thanks. BlueMoonset (talk) 18:00, 8 October 2018 (UTC)

Thank you for letting me know. ceranthor 15:38, 9 October 2018 (UTC)

Review of a first GA review[edit]

Hi, I'm contacting you because you're an editor on the GA mentors list who likes science and I've just done my first review of the Fibrothorax article. Would you mind looking at my review? I'd appreciate any feedback/suggestions. Thank you! originalmesshow u doin that busta rhyme? 04:33, 21 October 2018 (UTC)

I think you're off to a good start! I reviewed one of the nominator's other GANs and ended up failing it - in this case, the article seems like it could be more comprehensive. The prose seems fine, but there are some individual things that should be fixed before it's up to a GA standard. Happy to provide more detailed feedback if you'd like. ceranthor 15:51, 21 October 2018 (UTC)
I would love to hear more of your feedback! What are some of the individual things/what else does the article seem like it should include? I looked over the article again and agree, so I did change the review a bit to reflect that. originalmesshow u doin that busta rhyme? 10:15, 22 October 2018 (UTC)
@Originalmess: I do worry that the article is not sufficiently comprehensive. There are more potential sources to be mined at [1], and the fact that there are more than 2,500 results at Google Scholar gives me pause. What do you think? ceranthor 18:17, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

Review of Earthquake Article[edit]

Hello! I'm just in the process of completing my wikipedia article on the Olancha earthquake Series, I was wondering if you could review it or maybe just check my language, I'm usually very good with this just need another set of eyes. Thankyou! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olancha_Earthquake_Sequence_(2009)

@Jcol4533: I would be happy to help. It looks like it needs some punctuation/grammar fixing, and I also think that all the statements need to be referenced (especially those at the ends of paragraphs that do not appear to have citations). ceranthor 23:42, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Invitation re: Fourth Amendment related police procedure pages[edit]

Hello Ceranthor, I'm working on Terry stop and Consent search. Right now I'm doing research and putting some stuff in the Talk pages. I plan on working on this for the next few weeks. The articles, as written, are pretty bad, I would say. So I intend to rewrite them a little at a time. I'd like to invite you to the Talk pages to help me toss some ideas around, if you have the time.

Thanks! Seahawk01 (talk) 03:06, 1 November 2018 (UTC)

@Seahawk01: I can try to help, though I admit I don't know a ton about the topic. Are you looking to improve these articles in general, or towards a GA or FA level? ceranthor 14:44, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ceranthor:, thanks for the reply. I forget exactly why I contacted you. I was browsing though Fourth Amendment Talk Archive 2 and they were talking about making the page FA ready. Then, I followed a link to WikiCup and was looking through the users. Something about your user page made me contact you, but, looking over it now I don't see the fit :-)
But, since you obviously do top quality work, let me outline my interests and see if we can find a match. Terry stop revolves around Fourth Amendment issues and is based on Supreme Court decisions. A lot of this flows out of the Exclusionary rule, which is a method to protect individuals against illegal searches and seizures.
You might be interested, since all the decisions are based around True crime. For an example see the law review article "Terry v. Ohio at Thirty-Five: A Revisionist View".[1] The Supreme Court has greatly expanded the scope of terry stops and each time it is expanded, it is based on a court case. For example, in Adams v. Williams the court found an "informant’s tip permitted the officer to approach Williams’ car and make a limited search of Williams’ waistband for the officer’s own protection."[2]
If you are more interested in working on FA or GA candidates, I could contact you in a few weeks once I flesh out more of the article. I would love to get an article up to that standard and I think it is a pretty important topic, so worth the time.
Thanks! Seahawk01 (talk) 00:49, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
@Seahawk01:Let me know once you've worked on both a bit. Then we can reassess. ceranthor 21:13, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ceranthor:, sounds great. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. Seahawk01 (talk) 05:03, 6 November 2018 (UTC)

References

WikiCup 2018 November newsletter[edit]

The WikiCup is over for another year! Our Champion this year is South Carolina Courcelles (submissions), who over the course of the competition has amassed 147 GAs, 111 GARs, 9 DYKs, 4 FLs and 1 ITN. Our finalists were as follows:

  1. South Carolina Courcelles (submissions)
  2. Wales Kosack (submissions)
  3. Hel, Poland Kees08 (submissions)
  4. Cascadia (independence movement) SounderBruce (submissions)
  5. Scotland Cas Liber (submissions)
  6. Marshall Islands Nova Crystallis (submissions)
  7. Republic of Texas Iazyges (submissions)
  8. United States Ceranthor (submissions)


All those who reached the final win awards, and awards will also be going to the following participants:

Awards will be handed out in the coming weeks. Please be patient!

Congratulations to everyone who participated in this year's WikiCup, whether you made it to the final rounds or not, and particular congratulations to the newcomers to the WikiCup who have achieved much this year. Thanks to all who have taken part and helped out with the competition.

Next year's competition begins on 1 January. You are invited to sign up to participate; it is open to all Wikipedians, new and old. The WikiCup judges will be back in touch over the coming months, and we hope to see you all in the 2019 competition. Until then, it only remains to once again congratulate our worthy winners, and thank all participants for their involvement! If you wish to start or stop receiving this newsletter, please feel free to add or remove yourself from Wikipedia:WikiCup/Newsletter/Send. Sturmvogel 66 (talk · contribs · email), Godot13 (talk · contribs · email), Cwmhiraeth (talk · contribs · email) and Vanamonde93 (talk · contribs · email).

Congrats, and thanks for your contributions to Wikipedia! ---Another Believer (Talk) 06:23, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
Thank you, Another Believer. Hope all is well. ceranthor 21:13, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – November 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (October 2018).

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

  • Partial blocks is now available for testing on the Test Wikipedia. The new functionality allows you to block users from editing specific pages. Bugs may exist and can be reported on the local talk page or on Meta. A discussion regarding deployment to English Wikipedia will be started by community liaisons sometime in the near future.
  • A user script is now available to quickly review unblock requests.
  • The 2019 Community Wishlist Survey is now accepting new proposals until November 11, 2018. The results of this survey will determine what software the Wikimedia Foundation's Community Tech team will work on next year. Voting on the proposals will take place from November 16 to November 30, 2018. Specifically, there is a proposal category for admins and stewards that may be of interest.

Arbitration

  • Eligible editors will be invited to nominate themselves as candidates in the 2018 Arbitration Committee Elections starting on November 4 until November 13. Voting will begin on November 19 and last until December 2.
  • The Arbitration Committee's email address has changed to arbcom-en@wikimedia.org. Other email lists, such as functionaries-en and clerks-l, remain unchanged.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:18, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

WikiCup award[edit]

Awarded to Ceranthor for reaching the final 8 in the 2018 WikiCup. Sturmvogel 66 (talk · contribs · email), Godot13 (talk · contribs · email), Cwmhiraeth (talk · contribs · email) and Vanamonde93 (talk · contribs · email)
Thank you! ceranthor 02:39, 5 November 2018 (UTC)

TPSers[edit]

If anyone has some free time and wants to take on a GA review or two... feel free to check out Silver Star Mountain (Skamania County, Washington), Boring Lava Field, or Rocky Butte... :) ceranthor 15:25, 5 November 2018 (UTC)

"serial admin"[edit]

I have absolutely no idea what a "serial admin" is either! Thank you, by the way, for your review on Shergar, it was much appreciated. Cheers - SchroCat (talk) 14:12, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

@SchroCat: At least I wasn't called toxic or loathsome. And you're welcome - it was an engaging read. ceranthor 14:21, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

Cereal admin[edit]

Breakfast of Champions.jpg Cereal admin
What does this mean? I have no idea! Please tell me the explanation if it ever makes sense! MPS1992 (talk) 02:28, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
Maybe someday I'll learn what it means. ceranthor 16:03, 10 November 2018 (UTC)

Samsara Academy[edit]

Hello and thanks for this. I'm sorry that I did not see it until much later. All the accounts have been blocked – do you think any further action is necessary now? If you do I will do something but it won't be very immediate. Or it might just be that it's over and done with? Please advise. Thanks and best wishes DBaK (talk) 08:13, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

@DisillusionedBitterAndKnackered: Might not be a bad idea to start an SPI case to see if there are more sockpuppets. ceranthor 14:06, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
OK, I have given it a bash. I am not that familiar with SPI so I hope I've done it right; I have, however, done it! Thanks, DBaK (talk) 15:23, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
@DisillusionedBitterAndKnackered: Looks good to me. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the page. ceranthor 15:24, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
That's great – many thanks for your encouragement. Best wishes DBaK (talk) 15:27, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
Our hunch was right, after all. Thanks for bringing the case to SPI. ceranthor 22:36, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CLI, November 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 09:39, 14 November 2018 (UTC)

They continued spamming one minute later[edit]

after your final warning, here. Hope you well! ——SerialNumber54129 13:34, 15 November 2018 (UTC)

@Serial Number 54129: Thanks - just got it. ceranthor 13:35, 15 November 2018 (UTC)
Too fast for me :) cheers, ——SerialNumber54129 13:38, 15 November 2018 (UTC)

Korber images[edit]

Hi Ceranthor, Please see note about Bette Korber images on the talk page for her article under your questions. Let me know if you feel comfortable about the use of US government images in this way. I am checking on the broken link now.LLMHoopes (talk) 14:30, 15 November 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Mount Washington (Oregon)[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Mount Washington (Oregon) you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of AhmadLX -- AhmadLX (talk) 20:20, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

Thanks, AhmadLX. I've watched the page. ceranthor 23:01, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

ArbCom 2018 election voter message[edit]

Scale of justice 2.svgHello, Ceranthor. Voting in the 2018 Arbitration Committee elections is now open until 23.59 on Sunday, 3 December. All users who registered an account before Sunday, 28 October 2018, made at least 150 mainspace edits before Thursday, 1 November 2018 and are not currently blocked are eligible to vote. Users with alternate accounts may only vote once.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2018 election, please review the candidates and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:42, 19 November 2018 (UTC)

WikiJournal import[edit]

Hello, I've imported the Mount Mazama article to v:WikiJournal_Preprints/Mount_Mazama. When you have filled in the {{author info}} template at the top (usually easiest in visualeditor), made any changes and are ready to submit, simply fill in the authorship declaration form. All the best, T.Shafee(Evo&Evo)talk 00:44, 23 November 2018 (UTC)

@Evolution and evolvability: Will get to this tomorrow! ceranthor 22:51, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
@Evolution and evolvability: There may be a bit of an over-reliance on Harris (2005), which is ultimately just a survey and not by itself a superbly scholarly source. I will do my best to replace it where I can and see where that takes me. ceranthor 16:49, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
@Ceranthor: Excellent stuff. Let me know how it goes. I look forward to seeing it as it evolves. T.Shafee(Evo&Evo)talk 22:03, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Mount Washington (Oregon)[edit]

The article Mount Washington (Oregon) you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Mount Washington (Oregon) for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of AhmadLX -- AhmadLX (talk) 20:01, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Thanks, AhmadLX! ceranthor 20:05, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Need guidance/second opinion on a GA review[edit]

Hi, you're actually the third person I've tried to contact about this lol, but anyway: An editor has fixed up some mistakes already, but I'm just wondering if a few sections (if possible, since the article seems to have the necessary information) could be improved. You can find our discussion here Talk:Soultaker (film)/GA1. -NowIsntItTime(chats)(doings) 00:39, 29 November 2018 (UTC)

@NowIsntItTime: sorry for the delayed response - what's your specific concern? A little more background would be helpful. ceranthor 19:30, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
No problem. This is for a GA review I made for the article Soultaker (film). My review first of all pointed out a few errors in it which included poor sentences and grammar mistakes, however this was fixed by user GamerPro64. I also said that it may not be broad in its coverage due to the length of the production and reception sections; this is a problem only if nothing else can be included on how it was made and if all the reviews are there.
If no additional stuff needs to be added, then I just need a second opinion to confirm that the article is indeed ready for GA status. -NowIsntItTime(chats)(doings) 20:19, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
@NowIsntItTime: Understood. I will take a look later today. From a glance, it looks to be of standard length for an obscure 1990 film, but I'll need to take a closer look. ceranthor 20:21, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
All right. Thank you very much -NowIsntItTime(chats)(doings) 20:32, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
@NowIsntItTime: Two thoughts: 1. why was a tweet used as a source (doesn't seem to meet WP:RS) and 2. I think your note about RottenTomatoes was fair. The nominator could be encouraged to include the four rottentomatoes reviews and clarify within the article that the aggregated score was only based on those four reviews, and therefore did not reflect contemporaneous consensus from critics. ceranthor 00:33, 30 November 2018 (UTC)
I check it out, and I think it was added because the page leads to a dead link. Tried looking up a different source but I couldn't find anything. If I, myself, went ahead and linked to the dead page instead of the twitter post but pointed out that it was a dead link in the template, would that violate it in some way?
Anyway, I'll tell the editor that they should add the four reviews alongside the RT score then. -NowIsntItTime(chats)(doings) 01:07, 30 November 2018 (UTC)

Lamarckism[edit]

All done to date. Chiswick Chap (talk) 09:39, 30 November 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – December 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (November 2018).

ANEWSicon.png

Administrator changes

readded Al Ameer sonRandykittySpartaz
removed BosonDaniel J. LeivickEfeEsanchez7587Fred BauderGarzoMartijn HoekstraOrangemike

Interface administrator changes

removedDeryck Chan

Guideline and policy news

  • Following a request for comment, the Mediation Committee is now closed and will no longer be accepting case requests.
  • A request for comment is in progress to determine whether members of the Bot Approvals Group should satisfy activity requirements in order to remain in that role.
  • A request for comment is in progress regarding whether to change the administrator inactivity policy, such that administrators "who have made no logged administrative actions for at least 12 months may be desysopped". Currently, the policy states that administrators "who have made neither edits nor administrative actions for at least 12 months may be desysopped".
  • A proposal has been made to temporarily restrict editing of the Main Page to interface administrators in order to mitigate the impact of compromised accounts.

Technical news

Arbitration

Miscellaneous

  • In late November, an attacker compromised multiple accounts, including at least four administrator accounts, and used them to vandalize Wikipedia. If you have ever used your current password on any other website, you should change it immediately. Sharing the same password across multiple websites makes your account vulnerable, especially if your password was used on a website that suffered a data breach. As these incidents have shown, these concerns are not pure fantasies.
  • Wikipedia policy requires administrators to have strong passwords. To further reinforce security, administrators should also consider enabling two-factor authentication. A committed identity can be used to verify that you are the true account owner in the event that your account is compromised and/or you are unable to log in.

Obituaries


Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 03:36, 3 December 2018 (UTC)

On WP:UAA[edit]

Responded. Please read what I said there. Thank you! :) Neot/c 15:39, 4 December 2018 (UTC)

@Neolytical: I already responded there. ceranthor 15:40, 4 December 2018 (UTC)
Sorry, didn't notice! I'm a bit unfocused right now and didn't see the ping when I was typing this. :( Neot/c 15:40, 4 December 2018 (UTC)
No worries. Dlohcierekim got to it. ceranthor 15:42, 4 December 2018 (UTC)

Damn, you beat me :D[edit]

I was just about to tag User:C_o_o_n_king for CSD but you beat me to it by about 5 seconds. I'll beat you to it sometime... Happy Editing! Kb03 (talk) 14:11, 5 December 2018 (UTC)

Ha, sorry for stealing your thunder. :) ceranthor 14:12, 5 December 2018 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CLII, December 2018[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 10:34, 9 December 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Hogg Rock[edit]

Hi there, I'm pleased to inform you that I've begun reviewing the article Hogg Rock you nominated for GA-status according to the criteria. Time2wait.svg This process may take up to 7 days. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you might have during this period. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Jo-Jo Eumerus -- Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk) 13:20, 9 December 2018 (UTC)

FAC Mentorship[edit]

Hi, I've been trying to promote Mahavira to FA, but my efforts were not good enough. Recently, I was referred to FAC mentorship program, and hence I am posting this to seek your guidance for the same. Capankajsmilyo(Talk | Infobox assistance) 06:44, 12 December 2018 (UTC)

@Capankajsmilyo: I'm no expert, but I will be happy to help. I have a few projects on the docket at the moment, but maybe we can start in January? 13:40, 12 December 2018 (UTC)

Your GA nomination of Hogg Rock[edit]

The article Hogg Rock you nominated as a good article has passed Symbol support vote.svg; see Talk:Hogg Rock for comments about the article. Well done! If the article has not already been on the main page as an "In the news" or "Did you know" item, you can nominate it to appear in Did you know. Message delivered by Legobot, on behalf of Jo-Jo Eumerus -- Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk) 14:21, 12 December 2018 (UTC)

Thanks, Jo-Jo. ceranthor 14:23, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
Gern geschehen. Probably won't be able to do much in the next few weeks as African humid period looks like a megaproject, though.
Incidentally, do you know of ways to attract interest to a FAC? I know, I tend to offer more stuff for others to review rather than reviewing things myself but the pace so far on Limalok has been glacial. Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 17:22, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
I think it's a problem of FAC as a whole that noms tend to take a while to get reviews from more than one or two people. In the past, I've nominated things for peer review first to get feedback so those people generally are happy to give additional feedback, having already invested some time in reading the article beforehand. Since that wouldn't apply here, my best advice would be to ask one of the delegates if you could list it at the FAC Urgents page. ceranthor 17:53, 12 December 2018 (UTC)