User talk:Cullen328

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

I don't live on Cullen Ct, but I like the street sign

If you have any interest in editing Wikipedia by smartphone, I encourage you to read my essay, Smartphone editing. Thank you.

Welcome to my talk page I use the name Cullen328 on Wikipedia, but you can call me "Jim" because that's my real first name. If you want to start a new conversation, please click "New section" at the top of this page. I keep the old comments from July and August of 2009 that follow the "Contents" here, because these friendly words of greeting made me feel welcome when I first started editing Wikipedia.

The importance of a friendly greeting

Hello and welcome to my talk page. If you want to start a new conversation, please click "New section" at the top of this page. I keep the comments that follow from July and August of 2009 readily visible, because these friendly words of greeting made me feel welcome here on Wikipedia when I first started editing. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 17:38, 6 November 2011 (UTC)

Please offer your thoughts

I would appreciate comments and suggestions on any contributions I make. I am learning.Cullen328 (talk) 03:22, 3 July 2009 (UTC)

Nice work on Jules Eichorn. He's been needing an article for a while.   Will Beback  talk  06:28, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
If I may suggest, now that you've posted the Eichorn article the draft below might be deleted. It's your talk page to do with as you like, but it's a bit hard to edit around.
As for formatting and pictures, a good way to learn is to look around at other articles to see what you think looks best. It can be helpful to break up long blocks of text into subsections. Perhaps it'd be possible to split the biography into two or three eras. Other than that, the formatting is usually kept fairly plain. As for photos, it's easy to upload them: the trick is in finding photos with appropriate licensing. If you have any personal photos then those'd be fine. There are might be pictures of the peaks he did first ascents on in the Wikicommons. File:Cathedral Peak.png is a so-so pic of Eichorn Pinnacle.
As before, feel free to ask if you have any questions. There are several editors here who are mountaineers or just admirers of the Sierra, so you're in good company.   Will Beback  talk  21:13, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
PS: Many editors create "sandbox" pages for drafting articles. For example, User talk:Cullen328/Sandbox.   Will Beback  talk  00:17, 1 August 2009


Your climber biographies

Hey Jim, just wanted to say welcome and thanks for your contributions to the Sierra Nevada climbing history articles. You're filling a niche that's been missing here, I look forward to working with you. --Justin (talk) 11:54, 27 August 2009 (UTC)

I'll second that. Nice work on Allen Steck and welcome to Wikipedia. I don't know who you are planning to write up next but if your taking requests I think Peter Croft (climber) could really use a page. If you ever have any questions please ask. Thanks again for your great additions.--OMCV (talk) 02:25, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
Thanks Justin and OMCV. I am beginning work on Tom Frost and Glen Dawson. Comments on Norman Clyde would be welcomed. I will defintely read up on Peter Croft, OMCV. I am still "learning the ropes" in Wikipedia, to use a climbing analogy, and have all sorts of things in mind. My biggest challenge right now is getting permission to use images. My next biggest challenge is hiking to the top of Mt. Whitney with my wife in ten days - she's never been above 12,000 feet except for the train ride up Pikes Peak. As she's 56 and developing arthritis in her toes, it will be an accomplishment if she (and I) complete the Class 1 feat. Jim Heaphy (talk) 02:34, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
Debra and I made it to the summit of Mt. Whitney at 2:20 PM on Friday, September 11. Jim Heaphy (talk) 00:59, 17 September 2009 (UTC)

2009 Archive

2010 Archive

2011 Archive

2012 Archive (first six months)

Automatic Archive 1Automatic Archive 2Automatic Archive 3

References[edit]

WikiCake![edit]

Adding cover images[edit]

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. I fully agree with your rationale - but how do I "just do it"? I've gone to one of the image pages and tried to update the summary and licensing info (adapted from another album page from the same band), and was greeted with a rapid deletion message. The code I used was as follows:

Summary[edit]

Media data and Non-free use rationale
Description Far Skies Deep Time cover
Author or
copyright owner
Big Big Train
Source (WP:NFCC#4) http://www.bigbigtrain.com/pics/covers/fsdt.jpg
Use in article (WP:NFCC#7) Far Skies Deep Time
Purpose of use in article (WP:NFCC#8) to serve as the primary means of visual identification at the top of the article dedicated to the work in question.
Not replaceable with
free media because
(WP:NFCC#1)
n.a.
Minimal use (WP:NFCC#3) Official album cover artwork from the artist's website
Respect for
commercial opportunities
(WP:NFCC#2)
n.a.
Fair useFair use of copyrighted material in the context of Far Skies Deep Time//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Cullen328

As your optional poll has closed....[edit]

2016 Art And Feminism Wikipedia Editathon @ CCA[edit]

You are invited! - Saturday, March 5 - Wikipedia:Meetup/San Francisco/ArtandFeminism 2016
Arts+Feminism logo
Please join us at the California College of the Arts' Simpson Library on Saturday March 5, 2016,
for an event aimed at collaboratively expanding Wikipedia articles covering Art and Feminism, and the biographies of women artists!

--Circa73 (talk)

Bay Area WikiSalon series kickoff, April 27[edit]

Please join us in San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism
Panel discussion at a recent Wikipedia & Journalism event.

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area will gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. We have two brief presentations lined up for our kickoff event in downtown San Francisco:

  • The Nueva Upper School recently hosted the first ever high school Wikipedia edit-a-thon. We will hear what interests them about Wikipedia, what they have learned so far, and what they hope to achieve.
  • Photojournalist Kris Schreier Lyseggen, author of The Women of San Quentin: The Soul Murder of Transgender Women in Male Prisons, will tell us about her work and how she researched the topic.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. We will have beverages and light snacks.

Please note: You must register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on this point.

For further details, see here: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, April 2016

We hope to see you -- and until then, happy editing! - Pete, Ben & Wayne

Interview invitation from a Wikipedia researcher in University of Minnesota[edit]

Hello Cullen328,

I am Bowen Yu, a Ph.D. student from GroupLens Research at the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. Currently, we are undertaking a study about turnover (editors leaving and joining) in WikiProjects within Wikipedia. We are trying to understand the effects of member turnovers in the WikiProject group, in terms of the group performance and member interaction, with a purpose of learning how to build successful online communities in future. More details about our project can be found on this meta-wiki page.

I notice you are active in activities related to project page and project talk page, so I wonder if I could invite you for an interview if you are interested in our study and willing to share your experience with us. The interview will be about 30 - 45 minutes via phone, Skype or Google Hangout. You will receive a $10 gift card as compensation afterwards.

Please reach me at bowen@cs.umn.edu if you are interested or have any questions.

Thank you,

Bowen

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Cullen328. You have new messages at Bobo.03's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Holiday card[edit]

Russell Xmas 1926.jpg
Wishing you a Charlie Russell Christmas,
Cullen328!
"Here's hoping that the worst end of your trail is behind you
That Dad Time be your friend from here to the end
And sickness nor sorrow don't find you."
—C.M. Russell, Christmas greeting 1926.
Montanabw(talk) 23 December 2016 (UTC)

2017 Art And Feminism Wikipedia Editathon @ CCA[edit]

You are invited! - Friday, March 10 - SF CCA ArtAndFeminism 2017
Arts+Feminism logo
Please join us at the California College of the Arts'
Simpson Library
on Friday March 10, 2017, for
an event aimed at collaboratively expanding Wikipedia articles covering Art and Feminism, and the biographies of women artists!

--Jscarboro (talk)

Page Link[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_Nucleus

I just don't get it[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Cullen328. You have new messages at Purplebackpack89's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

User:RED Del Castillo[edit]

Hi Jim. I think you might have already deleted RED Del Castillo once before based upon User talk:RED Del Castillo#September 2018, but not sure if this latest version is the same as before. I was going to advise the user to move this to their sandbox, but figured I check with you first since there's no point in doing so if it's just going to be deleted again. -- Marchjuly (talk) 12:31, 20 October 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Marchjuly. I cannot review the earlier versions because all of that content has been suppressed by an oversighter. My recollection, though, is that the earlier version was different and had a lot of personal information. So, please feel free to suggest moving this content to their sandbox. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 19:32, 20 October 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for taking a look. -- Marchjuly (talk) 22:06, 20 October 2018 (UTC)

Teahouse[edit]

Thank you for your help with answering my questions at the Teahouse yesterday. I left some other messages afterwords, so I'm not sure if you just didn't see them or have been busy with life, but I haven't got a response from anyone else - so when you get the time, I'd appreciate if you took a look at them. Once again, thank you. Clovermoss (talk) 18:10, 21 October 2018 (UTC)

Help[edit]

Hey Cullen,as I am new to Wikipedia I don't no many things.So I request you to please to please give me a introduction.I tried to consult the Teahouse but was unable as I am new.Satin17 (talk) 14:46, 23 October 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Satin17. If you ask me a specific question, I will do my best to answer. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 04:40, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Jimmy Page[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Jimmy Page. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Draft:Sons of Aesir Motorcycle Club[edit]

Hi Jim. Would you mind taking a look at Draft:Sons of Aesir Motorcycle Club to check and see whether (1) WP:DRAFTIFY was appropriate in this case, and (2) I did the move correctly if it was? I also left a message for the creator on their user talk explaining what I did, but may be you could clarify or correct any mistakes I might've made in my post. Thanks in advance. -- Marchjuly (talk) 05:23, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Marchjuly, I see no problems in what you have done in this case. Obviously, an article like this is not appropriate for mainspace, lacking any encyclopedic content. Maybe this MC is notable. I do not know. So, the draft could possibly be the kernel of a future article. Your message to the creator is very informative. Well done. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 05:36, 24 October 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for taking a look. -- Marchjuly (talk) 05:49, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Looking for Expert help[edit]

Greetings Jim, Wondering if you know of an Expert for Wikiproject templates and Category tree? For me, I have almost zero knowledge except how to do article assessments.

Chances are there is nothing "wrong" with WP 1.0 bot. Since it is driven by Category tree and Wikiproject templates - Looking for an Expert to fix. How to find errors? Also, is it only certain articles that are tagged incorrectly?

Details are at Wikipedia talk:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Index#Conflicting project tags. Many Wikiprojects are missing Assessment logs since October 8, 2018.

Thanks for your help. Regards, JoeHebda (talk) 14:12, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

Hello, JoeHebda. I lack such expertise. I suggest that you ask at Wikipedia:Village pump (technical). Good luck. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 15:20, 24 October 2018 (UTC)
Previously I had asked at VPT thinking the assessment bot was "broken". They logged that report at Github. I will try there again, this time focusing on possible errors with WP templates & Category tree. Thanks. JoeHebda (talk) 16:34, 24 October 2018 (UTC)

RfC on which you !voted, has been amended[edit]

In response to objections, I struck the two year moratorium thing at Wikipedia_talk:Notability_(people)#RfC:_Amendment_for_BIO_to_address_systemic_bias_in_the_base_of_sources. I'm notifying everybody who !voted. Jytdog (talk) 14:09, 26 October 2018 (UTC)

Kashoggi[edit]

Propagandist is not a negative term (see any dictionary). It was his government job and does not violate the NPOV rule. 8675309 (talk) 02:35, 29 October 2018 (UTC)

"Propagandist" most certainly carries negative connotations. The article talk page is the proper place to discuss this matter. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 02:39, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
Apparently, we don't use the same dictionary. 8675309 (talk) 03:19, 29 October 2018 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

Signature change[edit]

I have changed the appearance of my signature. Barbara 11:06, 31 October 2018 (UTC)

New to Wikipedia[edit]

Hello User:Cullen328 It is great going through your profile to see such great contributions you made on Wikipedia, I am glad my HostBot suggested you to me. I hope you will make my stay on Wiki a nice one. I am ready to learn MrMawuli (talk) 22:15, 1 November 2018 (UTC)

Welcome to Wikipedia, MrMawuli. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 22:50, 1 November 2018 (UTC)

Sure User:Cullen328, will keep asking questions anytime I meet a problem. Meanwhile check out my first contribution Draft:Queenda, is it right?? MrMawuli (talk) 22:54, 1 November 2018 (UTC)

Administrators' newsletter – November 2018[edit]

News and updates for administrators from the past month (October 2018).

Guideline and policy news

Technical news

  • Partial blocks is now available for testing on the Test Wikipedia. The new functionality allows you to block users from editing specific pages. Bugs may exist and can be reported on the local talk page or on Meta. A discussion regarding deployment to English Wikipedia will be started by community liaisons sometime in the near future.
  • A user script is now available to quickly review unblock requests.
  • The 2019 Community Wishlist Survey is now accepting new proposals until November 11, 2018. The results of this survey will determine what software the Wikimedia Foundation's Community Tech team will work on next year. Voting on the proposals will take place from November 16 to November 30, 2018. Specifically, there is a proposal category for admins and stewards that may be of interest.

Arbitration

  • Eligible editors will be invited to nominate themselves as candidates in the 2018 Arbitration Committee Elections starting on November 4 until November 13. Voting will begin on November 19 and last until December 2.
  • The Arbitration Committee's email address has changed to arbcom-en@wikimedia.org. Other email lists, such as functionaries-en and clerks-l, remain unchanged.

Sent by MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:18, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

Some clarity, please[edit]

Cullen, while I appreciate that you openly acknowledged being involved re: MaranoFan's TP, I am still confused by your support of one editor over another as it pertains to the same iBan vio. I have since discovered this discussion which reflects a questionable past of block evasion/socking, so what I am now trying to understand is your justification for an early unblock when the same was not considered for Winkelvi. I compared the block logs of both editors, and something just doesn't seem right here, so I'm just trying to understand what I may be overlooking. I have no special interest in either editor - although I have exchanged a bit of levity with Winkelvi, etc. as I explained on MaranoFan's TP - but I find it rather chilling when one editor is treated differently from another by our trusted admins (involved or uninvolved, an admin is still an admin), especially considering both editors being equal in light of the 2-way iBan violation. Atsme✍🏻📧 14:59, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Atsme. Winkelvi overtly violated the interaction ban twice in recent months, and I found their explanations convoluted and unpersuasive. In this case, MaranoFan is claiming exemption due to WP:BANEX and there is some merit to that claim, in my judgment. Accordingly, I disagree with your conclusion about "both editors being equal in light of the 2-way iBan violation." I believe that Winkelvi's violations were far more egregious in this specific recent matter. As for MaranoFan's previous misconduct, they have been blocked for it, and warned repeatedly. I hope that this editor abandons disruptive behavior. If she doesn't, I consider an indefinite block likely, but we will cross that bridge if and when we get to it. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 16:29, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

Request for page move[edit]

Hello User:Cullen328 I have created a stub page for an actor Draft:Joginder Tiwari now I want to move it to main article but I'm not able to do it, because it says that new title is protected from creation, please help me to move that page to main article. SwagLevelHigh (talk) 20:32, 3 November 2018 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) Ah, I see that it has been deleted six times now—all PRODS and A7s. It's a shame—just musing to myself really—that at some point in the last few years no-one took the effort to bring it to AfD; that way we would now actually have some kind of community consensus to fall back on. Instaed of each deletion being the responsibility of one editor, you know. Anyway, sorry to intrude. ——SerialNumber54129 20:45, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
Hello, SwagLevelHigh. Previous articles about Joginder Tiwari have been deleted by six different administrators over the last few years. Your draft article fails to show that this person meets our notability guideline for actors. You need to add much better references. Please read and study Your first article. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 21:38, 3 November 2018 (UTC)
Hello, Cullen328. I have added some more references, can you please check that page again and if you could move that page to main article it will be great.

Removing PRODs without comment[edit]

Thank you for your remarks at ANI which were very much more moderate that mine (immediately above). I expect (well, hope really) that they will be all the more effective for that. Thincat (talk) 21:23, 4 November 2018 (UTC)

Thank you for the feedback, Thincat. As I see things, Andrew Davidson explains their view of procedure quite clearly, and his practice is in line with policy, even if some other editors believe it to be rude. If a PROD tag is removed, that ends the process and there is no need for further discussion regarding PROD. The proper place for discussion of notability or other major problems is either the article talk page or an AfD. I hope I have summarized accurately, Andrew. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 21:35, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
  • The comments of both Cullen and Thincat look fine to me, thanks. There's a lot more that can be said about the prod process and there's active discussion at the village pump, where I have commented on the various proposals. There have been multiple proposals that an explanation or reason for the deprod should be mandatory but they have not attracted much support. There's a basic mechanical problem in that the reason for deletion is put in the prod template but that template is removed when the prod is opposed. It doesn't seem efficient or sensible to separate a point and counter-point and so I save my comments for the AfD which often follows a removal. AfD provides plenty of space for detailed responses and so I tend to be comparatively prolix there – listing sources and reasoning from policy at length.

    To every thing there is a season...
    a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

Andrew D. (talk) 22:26, 4 November 2018 (UTC)

Topic Ban[edit]

Hi Cullen, when the page I created was proposed for deletion, I was told that I was welcome to contribute to the deletion discussion:

QUOTE "until a consensus is reached, and anyone, including you, is welcome to contribute to the discussion".

Now I'm being told I can't contribute to a discussion about the deletion of the page I created? This is contradictory and goes against Wikipedia policy.

In any case, I should not have been topic banned in the first place. Topic bans are supposed to be a response to disruptive behaviour and edit wars, which I was not engaged in.

I was topic banned, without warning, for allegedly using "unreliable sources" even though those same sources had previously been approved by the administrator who approved the page for creation. This is not a valid reason for a topic ban.

There appears to be a coordinated agenda here, to propose the page for deletion and then silence me so I can't oppose that deletion, even though Wikipedia policy states that I am welcome to contribute to the deletion discussion.

Peak Debt (talk) 03:28, 6 November 2018 (UTC)

Hello, Peak Debt. You were welcome to contribute to that discussion until you received that topic ban. The topic ban means that you are no longer welcome to contribute to anything at all having to do with cryptocurrencies. So, the solution is to pursue having that ban lifted, as you are now doing at AN. That is where further discussion should take place. Please be aware that there has been a deep flood of problematic and promotional editing related to cryptocurrencies in recent years. This is why administrators have been given extra powers to nip disruption in the bud. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 04:00, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
But I didn't do anything between being 'welcomed' and being banned. There was also no disruption. Ironically, the disruption has been caused by the banning itself. Peak Debt (talk) 04:38, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
Please make your case at WP:AN, where the community discussion of your topic ban is taking place. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 05:26, 6 November 2018 (UTC)

Please comment on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Formula One[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Formula One. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 6 November 2018 (UTC)

ARBCOM[edit]

Would you consider running? I for one have always valued your input on contentious matters, even in those instances (not that any come to mind) where I have disagreed with you. Vanamonde (talk) 18:04, 7 November 2018 (UTC)

I Second That. It would literally be the best thing to happen to the committee since it was founded. Well, since Iridescent left it anyway :) ——SerialNumber54129 18:07, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
I think that Cullen would obviously be an excellent Arb, however I'm concerned that it might take away from the excellent and much-needed work he does at the Teahouse, and on the noticeboards, and so on. I don't want him to over-extend himself or neglect his own career and personal life. Softlavender (talk) 21:50, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
But it's such a good idea, Softlavender! Cullen's cool head is just what the committee needs. Bishonen | talk 22:26, 7 November 2018 (UTC).
Yes, I agree that Cullen would make an excellent Arb. Softlavender (talk) 22:30, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
Personal well-being should always come first; I'd argue, though, that the Teahouse is already fairly well-staffed, while ARBCOM has three candidates running for six seats at the moment. Vanamonde (talk) 23:19, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
Indeed, you should take care of number one. And there are several issues that would work against you for Arbcom, as we both know. The Rambling Man (talk) 23:31, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
Is that a threat, TRM? Softlavender (talk) 00:03, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
Is that a question, Softlavender? The Rambling Man (talk) 09:22, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

─────────────────────────I would not allow the likely opposition of a single respected editor such as The Rambling Man to deter me from pursuing such a responsibile role as ArbCom member, but if three or four highly respected editors encouraged me to step aside, I would certainly consider that and would probably do so. But my main consideration is the privacy and safety of my family. ArbCom members are far too often subjected to intense off-wiki attacks, and I have have vulnerable family members and I also disclose my real world identity openly. If I could go back 9-1/2 years, perhaps I might choose anonymity. But that train has left the station, and I must always be concerned about the security of my innocent and defenseless and vulnerable family members. So, count me undecided. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 09:20, 8 November 2018 (UTC)

I understand Cullen's concern completely for many reasons, but there are quite a few members of ArbCom that have openly disclosed their real world identities for decades; my personal opinion (also partially from what I have seen) is that being in a more visible position and being in regular contact with WMF actually offers more protection, sense of security and ease of mind to these off-wiki attacks and silliness. I will not try to make a convincing proposal, but I think ArbCom has the potential to make real positive change if more than one person actually qualified, actually connected with the community, actively involved with the Wikimedia movement in real life like Cullen can spend some time taking the leadership role in a real world sense with genuine feelings that matters. This is especially important if Newyorkbrad decides to take the year off. But that's just my personal wish, although I am positive that it should reflect many of the people that voted in your RfA and seen your years of work in the Teahouse and other areas. Alex Shih (talk) 11:14, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
I'd agree with Alex here. I've been open with my identity for years and never had any difficulties with it. Indeed, being open with your identity prevents the "power" over you by threatening to reveal your identity. If you'd like to talk further with me about it, feel free to drop me a line WormTT(talk) 14:11, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
As of course have I. Doug Weller talk 17:17, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
As have I. My guess is that any likelihood of trouble depends more on what one may have been involved in here other than arb com. If you are not being harassed now, being on arb com should not give anyone any reason to do so, and even if you are, it is very unlikely to add to it. But I have never been harassed about anything related to WP, and those who have may feel differently, or even that I am insensitive to their concerns. DGG ( talk ) 01:25, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
Agreed with DGG on this not, obviously not as an arb, but as a relatively visible admin. Most of my fan club exists because I do a lot of work with LTAs and other areas where the less pleasant parts of humanity exist. This is one of the main reasons my identity is only known to two stewards and the WMF. The RL consequences exist mainly when you start working in areas of the project where people who are less than stable and are unwilling to talk about it spend their time.
ArbCom gets a lot of unstable people, but speaking as a non-arb, the fact that they're engaging with AC shows that they're usually not the type to take real world actions against you (though this is obviously not always the case.) Anyway, you'd have my vote, for what it is worth. TonyBallioni (talk) 01:56, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

Help[edit]

Hey Cullen, please tell me how to get started at Wikipedia as I am new to editing.Denim11 (talk) 07:24, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

Hello Denim11. I recommend that you start by reading and studying Your first article and the various links in that essay. If you have more specific questions, ask them at the Teahouse. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 08:18, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

But I am unable to ask a question at the teahouse as it is protected.Denim11 (talk) 09:02, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

You can ask questions here until you are autoconfirmed in a few days, Denim11. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 18:21, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

Edits removed[edit]

Why are you removing my edits ?

Have you not read the altered description I added to avoid plagiarism on the Irish Bull Terrier page ? Dr Nobody (talk) 17:13, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

The references you tried to add were formatted improperly, Dr Nobody. They also lacked bibliographic information. Please read Referencing for beginners and learn how to create proper references. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 18:18, 9 November 2018 (UTC)

Please comment on Wikipedia talk:Notability (people)[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Wikipedia talk:Notability (people). Legobot (talk) 04:23, 12 November 2018 (UTC)

Copyright question[edit]

You blocked Austin crick in part based on his uploading of File:‘King Lear’ (1957) by Werner Drewes.jpg to Commons. If you felt this was an egregious enough copyright violation to merit an indef block, why didn't you tag the file for deletion? WikiDan61ChatMe!ReadMe!! 12:47, 12 November 2018 (UTC) Hey Cullen, me too have the same question Austin crick did copyright violation at commons then why did you block him at Wikipedia without tagging the file as copyright violation.And Austin crick also did edit warring and disruptive editing but you didn't mention either of them while blocking him.Denim11 (talk) 15:27, 12 November 2018 (UTC)

Hello, WikiDan61 and Denim11. I simply forgot to tag that file for deletion but someone else deleted it. I was involved with several other things at that time and wanted to see if the editor could provide evidence that they really are the copyright holder. They had made that claim which I considered unlikely. Also, there were several other reasons to block this editor and I listed the most important and obvious one. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 16:21, 12 November 2018 (UTC)

Hey Cullen, it may happen but please be more careful next time.Denim11 (talk) 09:13, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

Explaining my edits about Jeff Sessions[edit]

Hi, I was looking at some articles about Jeff Sessions after Trump fired him. I was surprised to see that he was labeled as a Republican. I had always thought Jeff Sessions was a Democrat. I did some more research to make sure I was correct. Everything that I saw verified what I had thought. Just look at his record as Attorney General. As Attorney General he has performed his job the way a Democrat would, which is the reason Trump dislikes him and Democrats oppose Trump's firing of him. If he was a Republican, then why would he have recused himself from the Russia case? If Jeff Sessions was a Republican, he would have done everything he could as Attorney General to protect Trump, he would not have undermined him. Looking at the media, the Democrats are the ones protesting his firing! They know that Sessions is their guy. If he were a Republican they wouldn't care. The Republicans are the ones defending Trump's decision to fire him! Wouldn't this all be a bit weird if Sessions was a Republican?

So, using the information I had, I decided to edit the articles about him to stop this confusion from spreading. And I made a mistake here. I should have discussed this on the talk page first and had my proposed edits approved by you guys. I understand why you thought I was vandalizing, and I understand why you didn't want to hear me out at the time. I understand why you blocked me. Now that that stuff has passed, I hope that we can reach an agreement here. Why do you think Jeff Sessions is a Republican? I just want us to hear each other out so that together we can make the correct decision on what his party affiliation should be labeled as. Who knows, maybe I could change my mind? Maybe you could? I just want to have the discussion. Thanks. 67.181.231.129 (talk) 03:38, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

Hello, IP editor. I have already warned you about this matter on your talk page. Let me spell it out bluntly:
1 - Acceptable Wikipedia articles summarize what reliable published sources say.
2 - All reliable sources report that Sessions is a Republican.
3 - The strange musings of an anonymous IP editor on Wikipedia are of no value in shaping the content of our encyclopedia articles.
4 - Therefore, our biography of Jeff Sessions will continue to state that he is a Republican, at least until the day comes that he quits that party in public.
You will be blocked if you persist with disruptive editing. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 04:12, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

I understand that some sources say Sessions is Republican, but going by his history as Attorney General, is there any real evidence that proves this? Shouldn't we think for ourselves rather than blindly believing what "credible sources" say? 67.181.231.129 (talk) 04:39, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

No, all reliable sources report that Sessions is a Republican. Wikipedia summarizes what reliable sources say. Period. End of story. Non-negotiable. Abandon this quest now. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 04:47, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

I understand that, but is there any actual evidence of it based off his record? I feel that Wikipedia is just blindly listening to these "sources" without actually looking at the facts. Stuff like this makes me worried Wikipedia is just going to become a propaganda outlet for whatever crap these "sources" want to put out. If you want me to have any confidence in Wikipedia and how you guys edit things, please give me some sort of argument that is a Republican beyond just "these 'sources say he is." Show me that you aren't just blindly following what these "sources" say. 67.181.231.129 (talk) 05:26, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

We summarize what reliable sources say. That is our narrowly defined mission. There are countless other social media websites and blogging platforms where you can expound your original theories. Wikipedia is not one of them. So, consider this your final warning. Stop it now. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 06:17, 13 November 2018 (UTC)
You may have thought he was a Democrat, though that wouldn't be based on any kind of evidence and it's wrong. Ask any Alabamian, if you don't trust the sources. Or ask him. If you lose confidence in Wikipedia because of something you, and only you, thinks, we can handle that, though it would be Very Sad. Drmies (talk) 06:23, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

I don't think we will ever agree on this, so how about we just comprise and remove any mention of his party affiliation from the articles about him? 67.181.231.129 (talk) 06:42, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

User:MeKLT[edit]

Hi Cullen, please look at User:MeKLT and his talk page it does not appear he is here to contribute and at teahouse he told please be faster to answer his questions I told him to patient but see what he has done in User talk:MeKLT as you are an admin I request you to take necessary steps.Denim11 (talk) 16:36, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

That is a frustrated newcomer. Let me know if there is any disruption. I need to go to work now, Denim11. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 16:44, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Hi Jim, just wanted to say thanks for your comments on the article mentioned here, I appreciate it – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse#Submitting_an_article_that_had_a_conflict_of_interest?. I feel pretty confident that the article works but I will also ask Wikiproject Computing. Thank you! — Preceding unsigned comment added by Jdriboflavin (talkcontribs) 22:06, 13 November 2018 (UTC)

Merge proposal[edit]

There is a merge proposal at Irish Bull Terrier you may be interested in. Atsme✍🏻📧 14:04, 15 November 2018 (UTC)

Lewis Hilsenteger[edit]

As an article by that title has been deleted 4 times in a little over a year, would you please consider create protection for it. I'd say the draftspace too, but that's probably just my low tolerance for BS talking. Thanks Jim. John from Idegon (talk) 07:21, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

I have salted that title, John from Idegon, based on the repeated history of legitimate deletions. Please let me know if somebody tries to create Lewis Q. Hilsenteger or anything like that. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 07:32, 16 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks, Jim. You're about the same age as I. I'm assuming that means you may be considering retirement in the next few years. I hope that when you do, you'll consider standing for Arbcom. I cannot think of another editor here with a temperament more suited for it. I run my own business too, and I understand the time constraints. Have a good Thanksging. I'll be cooking for 500 people as I do every year. No better way to give thanks than to give away a couple tons of food! John from Idegon (talk) 07:42, 16 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for your kind remarks, John from Idegon. I am fortunate enough to mostly enjoy my work, and now that I collect a small pension, and my wife and I collect Social Security, I have the luxury to work when I want to, and lounge around when I want to take a few days off. I decided to not run for ArbCom this year, though I thought about it. One thing that I like most about editing Wikipedia is the totally voluntary nature of it. As an editor/administrator, I choose what I want to get involved with, and ignore the rest. But if I was an ArbCom member, I would feel obligated to get involved in every single case. I have expressed concerns about my family privacy in a thread above, and have also said that I do not yet feel fully conversant with ArnCom procedures. All that being said, I do not rule out a candidacy in a year or two, depending on how things go with my life and my evolving interests. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 08:09, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

You've got mail[edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Cullen328. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template. -- BullRangifer (talk) PingMe 16:24, 16 November 2018 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Doria Ragland[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Doria Ragland. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 19 November 2018 (UTC)