User talk:Dicklyon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

A random style tip:

Another styletip ...


Quotations within quotations


When a quotation includes another quotation, put double quote-marks outermost, and single within:

According to Robertson, "when Haversham claims 'the theory is universal', he is disregarding two critical limitations".


Add this to your user page by typing in {{Styletips}}.

Please add new talk topics at the bottom of the page, and sign with ~~~~ (four tildes will expand into your signature).
I will reply here, and expect you to be watching my user talk page, even if you are Nyttend.

Contents

Original Barnstar.png The Original Barnstar
I'm not sure why you haven't picked up a bevy of these already, but thanks for all your effort, particularly in tracking down good sources with diagrams, etc., on the photography- and color-related articles (not to mention fighting vandalism). Those areas of Wikipedia are much richer for your work. Cheers! —jacobolus (t) 02:05, 27 February 2008 (UTC)


Barnstar-camera.png The Photographer's Barnstar
To Dicklyon on the occasion of your photograph of Ivan Sutherland and his birthday! What a great gift. -User:SusanLesch 04:40, 23 May 2008 (UTC)


Allaroundamazingbarnstar.png All Around Amazing Barnstar
For your hard work in improving and watching over the Ohm's law article SpinningSpark 00:59, 18 January 2009 (UTC)


Original Barnstar.png The Original Barnstar
For your improvements to the Centrifugal force articles. Your common sense approach of creating a summary-style article at the simplified title, explaining the broad concepts in a way that is accessible to the general reader and linking to the disambiguated articles, has provided Wikipedia's readership with a desperately needed place to explain in simple terms the basic concepts involved in understanding these related phenomena. Wilhelm_meis (talk) 14:29, 6 May 2009 (UTC)


Surreal Barnstar.png The Surreal Barnstar
For your comment here which at once admits your own errors with humility yet focusses our attention upon the real villain Egg Centric (talk) 17:09, 9 February 2011 (UTC)


Barnstar-camera.png The Photographer's Barnstar
For your great contribution to Wikipedia in adding pictures and illustrations to articles improving the reader's experience by adding a visual idea to the written information.--Xaleman87 (talk) 05:57, 26 February 2014 (UTC)


Special Barnstar Hires.png The Special Barnstar
I could not find a barnstar for standing up to an outrageously unjust block so you get a special one. Hang in there. В²C 23:25, 3 February 2015 (UTC)

Non-admin close of RMs[edit]

Last night I tried my hand for the first time with 5 non-admin closes of Requested Move (RM) discussions. If you've come to here to tell me I shouldn't have, or that I messed up, please leave a note about it and feel free to revert the close(s). Or we can use WP:MRV if you prefer. Dicklyon (talk) 16:26, 18 April 2016 (UTC)

And I did another 9 this evening. I forgot to subst the templates at first, and then went back and did that. I hope that didn't have any lasting bad effects; is it why one of the talk pages didn't move? Dicklyon (talk) 01:29, 19 April 2016 (UTC)

Hi Dicklyon, just so you're not talking to yourself... Smiley.svg that's great that you're getting involved in the closing. I think you've been around the RM process long enough to know the ropes, what constitutes consensus in a move discussion and what doesn't, so good luck to you!  — Amakuru (talk) 17:50, 19 April 2016 (UTC)
Thanks; I've learned from you, among others. I have no doubt that one day a close of mine will piss someone off, and I'll have someone to chat with. Dicklyon (talk) 19:35, 19 April 2016 (UTC)

And 9 more this evening. There's still a huge backlog, and quite a few I can't close due either to participating or being too complicated (e.g. the ones involving templates I don't want to touch for fear of breaking something I don't understand). Dicklyon (talk) 05:16, 20 April 2016 (UTC)

  • Thanks Dicklyon.
I think all is not well with the result at Talk:National_Highway_26_(India)_(old_numbering). Perhaps you didn't notice the page move mid-discussion. I think that the discussion contained a consensus against the current title. --SmokeyJoe (talk) 05:25, 20 April 2016 (UTC)
Cool, appreciate the feedback. Do you want to work on fixing it, or want me to? Dicklyon (talk) 05:26, 20 April 2016 (UTC)
I took care of it with a G6 db on the redirect; should go back shortly. Thanks again for alerting me. Dicklyon (talk) 05:32, 20 April 2016 (UTC)
I've moved the page back to its original location. I guess a wider discussion is needed now, because a lot of those articles are at funny locations now.  — Amakuru (talk) 16:09, 20 April 2016 (UTC)
I'm happy to help if you suggest a process. Dicklyon (talk) 17:45, 20 April 2016 (UTC)

Reverted close[edit]

OK, it was bound to happen. User:Film Fan says I didn't see the consensus, and reverted my close here. It seems his fellow editor User:Lugnuts disagrees, and reverted the revert. I apologize to both for stepping into this unclear RM discussion. Dicklyon (talk) 15:13, 21 April 2016 (UTC)

How exactly is a vote of 4-2 for a move not consensus? The article should have been moved. And since the user who then reverted my revert was involved in the discussion (erroneously) I ask that you revert yourself. — Film Fan 17:01, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
I see 3 in opposition. Review what George Ho wrote with his strikeout. But since you prefer, I will revert my close and leave it for an admin. Dicklyon (talk) 17:04, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
Oops, no, too late, since a new RM has already been started there. Please try to be more clear in the discussion of exactly what titles are used where, and in what sources, and it might be easier to get more editors to volunteer an opinion. Dicklyon (talk) 17:06, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
Yeah, maybe if FF didn't make a giant balls of the previous requests, this might have been resolved. Oh well. Lugnuts Dick Laurent is dead 17:59, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
You never fail to amuse... and to contradict yourself. — Film Fan 19:57, 21 April 2016 (UTC)

MediEvil[edit]

Hi Dicklyon

I've moved MediEvil to MediEvil (series) per your move closure and db-g6 template, but before making the other move MediEvil (video game) to MediEvil, someone should go through and fix all the 50+ incoming links to the current MediEvil. Some may already be mistaken links to the video game, but they all need checking, and any links which are meant for the series should be retargeted to MediEvil (series). I may have time for that later on today, or if you're happy to do it then go ahead. Let me know once it's done and I can move it, or else put another db-g6 to pave way for the new primary topic. Thanks  — Amakuru (talk) 13:20, 21 April 2016 (UTC)

I'll ask for help on that, and check up on progress in a day or two. Thanks. Dicklyon (talk) 14:59, 21 April 2016 (UTC)
Done, I think. Dicklyon (talk) 22:07, 22 April 2016 (UTC)

Ptolemy's theorem diagram[edit]

Every year we use a mathematical diagram on the t-shirts we give away at our high school math contest. I was wondering if we could use the first one you contributed on the Ptolemy's Theorem page (but without attribution because it kinda ruins the aesthetic of the shirt). We accrue no profit from the contest, but I understand if the answer is no.

Thanks for your consideration.

Aliotra

(at College of New Caledonia in PG, BC, Canada) — Preceding unsigned comment added by 142.27.68.63 (talk) 16:06, 22 April 2016 (UTC)

Yes, feel free. According to File:Ptolemy_Theorem.svg, that diagram has been released into the Public Domain, which means you need no license and can do whatever you want with it, without attribution. Thanks for asking. Dicklyon (talk) 22:07, 22 April 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Time Person of the Year[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Time Person of the Year. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 23 April 2016 (UTC)

Floyd Mayweather[,] Jr.[edit]

Greetings. Just wanted to know if this will be a precursor to article titles being changed at some point, to reflect WP's stance on preferring no comma? Mac Dreamstate (talk) 17:15, 23 April 2016 (UTC)

Yes, working on that via technical request since it's protected. Dicklyon (talk) 17:19, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
Ah right. I also meant, in the sense of widespread changes to other article titles—will there be a blanket renaming of all articles with the -Jr. suffix? Mac Dreamstate (talk) 20:26, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
Hard to say. Most editors seem content to let me chip away at them, and leave others as they are. There are probably a lot more than I will ever get to. Dicklyon (talk) 20:49, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
Are you a Mayweather or boxing fan? Care to comment on what title would be best for Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Zab Judah and such? Drop the Jr. altogether, or just the comma? Dicklyon (talk) 22:01, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
Boxing fan, Mayweather supporter. I would strongly object to the "Jr." being dropped in any of the fight articles. In mainstream media, especially stats/championship lists, he is almost always referred to as Floyd Mayweather Jr. I have no problem with the comma being removed, however. It's good for brevity. Mac Dreamstate (talk) 22:05, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
OK, thanks for preventing me doing a bad move there. Want to help with the comma moves and edits? Dicklyon (talk) 22:06, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
If you mean his fight articles, sure. I'll start with Guerrero to Berto and see how that looks. Mac Dreamstate (talk) 22:10, 23 April 2016 (UTC)

New Caledonian Barrier Reef[edit]

I didn't cap the title, though. It was originally located at New Caledonia Barrier Reef. --Article editor (talk) 23:28, 24 April 2016 (UTC)

University of Wisconsin hyphen[edit]

Hi-A few years ago, some editor change the hyphen within the various University of Wisconsin campuses articles: the University of Wisconsin–Madison, University of Wisconsin–Green Bay, etc. It got confusing and a little irritating. That is what is used with the various University of Wisconsin campuses articles. Also my apologies for any problems concerning Episcopalian bishops; they are consider notable along with Roman Catholic bishops, Eastern Orthodox bishops, etc. Thank you-RFD (talk) 01:52, 28 April 2016 (UTC)

It's an en dash, not a hyphen. But you can leave the literal character; no need to spell it out. See Dash#En_dash_versus_em_dash and Dash#Rendering_dashes_on_computers. Dicklyon (talk) 02:27, 28 April 2016 (UTC)
Many thanks-RFD (talk) 11:41, 28 April 2016 (UTC)

Geta[edit]

Could you revisit your close at Publius Septimius Geta? It appears there was substantial support for Geta (emperor), including from the nominator, and no opposition.--Cúchullain t/c 16:07, 28 April 2016 (UTC)

Thanks for asking. I have reverted my close and will leave it for an admin or someone who might see it differently. Dicklyon (talk) 16:22, 28 April 2016 (UTC)
Thanks!--Cúchullain t/c 17:43, 28 April 2016 (UTC)

hi[edit]

I saw your comments on a prior discussion at Chronic condition and would therefore appreciate your input, thank you (at Talk:Chronic condition#Persistent infection)--Ozzie10aaaa (talk) 17:19, 30 April 2016 (UTC)

Hypixel[edit]

FWIW, the nominator deleted your opinion at Draft talk:Hypixel per [1] I have subsequently restored the material. This is just a heads up in case it happens again -- 70.51.200.96 (talk) 05:18, 7 May 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series on May 25[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. We will have beverages and light snacks.

Please note: You must register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on this point.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, May 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, and Checkingfax via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:15, 9 May 2016 (UTC) | Subscribe/Unsubscribe to the SF Meetups notice.

Sr. and Jr. query[edit]

Hello. Sorry to bother you. Per the discussion at User_talk:The-Pope#Re:_Pat_Cash.2C_Sr., I was wondering if Sr. is actually a legal title. Rovingrobert (talk) 01:58, 9 May 2016 (UTC)

Commented there. Dicklyon (talk) 02:22, 9 May 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Full Service (book)[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Full Service (book). Legobot (talk) 04:23, 11 May 2016 (UTC)

File permission problem with File:Dicklyon.jpg[edit]

Thanks for uploading File:Dicklyon.jpg, which you've attributed to Dick Lyon's wife. I noticed that while you provided a valid copyright licensing tag, there is no proof that the creator of the file has agreed to release it under the given license.

If you are the copyright holder for this media entirely yourself but have previously published it elsewhere (especially online), please either

  • make a note permitting reuse under the CC-BY-SA or another acceptable free license (see this list) at the site of the original publication; or
  • Send an email from an address associated with the original publication to permissions-en@wikimedia.org, stating your ownership of the material and your intention to publish it under a free license. You can find a sample permission letter here. If you take this step, add {{OTRS pending}} to the file description page to prevent premature deletion.

If you did not create it entirely yourself, please ask the person who created the file to take one of the two steps listed above, or if the owner of the file has already given their permission to you via email, please forward that email to permissions-en@wikimedia.org.

If you believe the media meets the criteria at Wikipedia:Non-free content, use a tag such as {{non-free fair use}} or one of the other tags listed at Wikipedia:File copyright tags#Fair use, and add a rationale justifying the file's use on the article or articles where it is included. See Wikipedia:File copyright tags for the full list of copyright tags that you can use.

If you have uploaded other files, consider checking that you have provided evidence that their copyright owners have agreed to license their works under the tags you supplied, too. You can find a list of files you have created in your upload log. Files lacking evidence of permission may be deleted one week after they have been tagged, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. You may wish to read Wikipedia's image use policy. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you. Stefan2 (talk) 21:55, 12 May 2016 (UTC)

Category:Songs written by Leonard Caston, Jr. & others.[edit]

If you are going to move categories, please note you have to move the members as well. Otherwise your new cats will be deleted as unpopulated which is more of a problem than any comma! Thanks. --Richhoncho (talk) 10:46, 14 May 2016 (UTC)

So far it seems that I've always had success letting a bot come along and change the categories. Did you see a case where a category got deleted instead? Dicklyon (talk) 16:08, 14 May 2016 (UTC)
You're right, I panic too much, my apologies. --Richhoncho (talk) 17:02, 14 May 2016 (UTC)
Actually it was a guy using Cat-a-lot, not a bot. So I learned how to use it, and got all caught up. Thanks. Dicklyon (talk) 17:03, 14 May 2016 (UTC)
And that guy is en.wp's number 1 editor by number of edits. Now I know why. Using cat-a-lot, I did nearly a thousand edits today, mostly in adjusting categories dozens at a time. In 10 years on WP, 1% of my edits were from today. Dicklyon (talk) 05:38, 15 May 2016 (UTC)

Doc[edit]

At some point someone should bring the comma discussion to Dr. King's page, where it can be worked out and apply to all his pages (the library is an outlier, as the closer knew that King's WP article contains that comma). And if the comma is eventually removed from his page in some kind of one-minute close by a Minute Man its use as an alternate name hopefully would be allowed without much controversy. Now to my question: If the good doctor loses his preferred name on Wikipedia, what are the figures and thinking on changing it to 'Martin Luther King' sans any comma? Couldn't do an n-gram on that because of their format (commas are coded to separate items). I just noticed a couple of days ago that James Madison is actually a junior. Dr. King's common name seems to be 'Martin Luther King, Jr.', but I'm not sure, and possibly it's simply 'Martin Luther King'. I, of course, still think the common name is Martin Luther King, Jr. which provides a small stop before Jr. when read or spoken, where the removal of the comma takes away the pause and changes how the name is spoken. Would be nice to just name the page "Doc", which is what his inner-circle called him. Randy Kryn 22:46, 16 May 2016 (UTC)

"Doc" sounds good to me. Or we could just go with how Jet and Ebony and other magazines always did it. Dicklyon (talk) 22:54, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
"Doc" it is then. But about the frequency of the name with or without the Jr.? The major CRM historians use the comma, but also often use "Martin Luther King". Is there some way to juggle the n-grams to see if those two can be compared? Randy Kryn 23:19, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
This n-gram gives a pretty good idea of how common it is to include "Jr." compared to not. Looks like it's included at least or about half the time (even allowing for lots of small increments not shown). Dicklyon (talk) 23:42, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
On the other hand, this one suggests that Jr. is in there less often than not, by a little. Dicklyon (talk) 23:44, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
Thanks. Makes for an interesting option discussion at some point. Randy Kryn 14:26, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
It's possible, probable even, that King kept and honored the Jr. because his dad was alive during his entire life. In my opinion removing the comma does change his name, makes it a entirely different name with a changed emphasis. What are your feelings about dropping the Jr. on the main article, and possibly some of the side articles, taking the figures above into account, if the general discussion takes a turn. Randy Kryn 19:04, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
If that is a way to solve the comma inconsistency problem, it's fine by me. Dicklyon (talk) 19:43, 17 May 2016 (UTC)

File permission problem with File:B35 Zeiss Triotar40mm.jpg[edit]

Thanks for uploading File:B35 Zeiss Triotar40mm.jpg. I noticed that while you provided a valid copyright licensing tag, there is no proof that the creator of the file has agreed to release it under the given license.

If you are the copyright holder for this media entirely yourself but have previously published it elsewhere (especially online), please either

  • make a note permitting reuse under the CC-BY-SA or another acceptable free license (see this list) at the site of the original publication; or
  • Send an email from an address associated with the original publication to permissions-en@wikimedia.org, stating your ownership of the material and your intention to publish it under a free license. You can find a sample permission letter here. If you take this step, add {{OTRS pending}} to the file description page to prevent premature deletion.

If you did not create it entirely yourself, please ask the person who created the file to take one of the two steps listed above, or if the owner of the file has already given their permission to you via email, please forward that email to permissions-en@wikimedia.org.

If you believe the media meets the criteria at Wikipedia:Non-free content, use a tag such as {{non-free fair use}} or one of the other tags listed at Wikipedia:File copyright tags#Fair use, and add a rationale justifying the file's use on the article or articles where it is included. See Wikipedia:File copyright tags for the full list of copyright tags that you can use.

If you have uploaded other files, consider checking that you have provided evidence that their copyright owners have agreed to license their works under the tags you supplied, too. You can find a list of files you have created in your upload log. Files lacking evidence of permission may be deleted one week after they have been tagged, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. You may wish to read Wikipedia's image use policy. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you. Kelly hi! 09:06, 17 May 2016 (UTC)

Please check[edit]

About National Highway 26 (India), Please check this edit, the move is temporary. They will be moved to permanent new name. to make way for a new page, we are moving those pages to old numbering..--Vin09(talk) 06:16, 18 May 2016 (UTC)

Go for it. Dicklyon (talk) 15:17, 18 May 2016 (UTC)

Vandalism on El Paso article[edit]

Good evening, could you check on the El Paso article? It is being constantly vandalized by some guy with different IP addresses from the same area. A sample of some of the IP addresses he has used are below. Thank you.

2605:A000:FF82:E00:98ED:24D3:71E6:BEF2

DontmesswithNM

2602:306:3239:EFD0:C91:4FD8:CBDD:E69B

2600:1012:B120:DF9C:3D01:79B:48F1:671A

2602:306:3134:DC40:E8D6:D0A5:7B94:B7A

B575 (talk) 22:23, 19 May 2016 (UTC)

A bit of a mess, I agree. Those may not all be vandals. Leaving warnings on talk pages can help, even if they don't pay attention, e.g. if you decide to ask for a range block. Dicklyon (talk) 05:04, 20 May 2016 (UTC)

Nicanor B. Reyes Sr. First president of far eastern university manila[edit]

Edited Nicanor I. Reyes Sr. Founder of the far eastern university, based on Wordpress dated July 02, 2010 topic title old family of binan Laguna. Source Nicanor B. Reyes Sr. great-great grand son Rodolfo "rod" T . Reyes. Nicanor Baptista Reyes, Sr. (Nicanor B. Reyes Sr.) parent capt. Francisco Roxas y Reyes, one of the 13 martyrs of bagumbayan in 1896 in luneta manila philippines during time of national hero Jose Rizal. Father of Nicanor Reyes Sr. Is Capt. Francisco R. Reyes married to Macaria Baptista, they were blessed by many sibling one of their Nicanor B. Reyes Sr. Married Amparo L. Mendoza. The couple blessed one of their child Lourdes M. Reyes-Montinola and Nicanor M. Reyes Jr. Married to Josephine S. Cojuangco a sister of late pres. Cojuangco-Aquino widow of sen. Benigno Aquino Jr. Son of current Phil. Pres. Aquino. Over years of error Nicanor I. Reyes Sr., in manila city street name Nicanor B. Reyes Sr. Street district of sampaloc in honor founder of the university. Pinoyezdeals (talk) 06:27, 22 May 2016 (UTC)

You know, you're not actually making any sense here. Some explanation with sources might help. "Wordpress" is not a source. A URL or two might help. Dicklyon (talk) 16:54, 22 May 2016 (UTC)

Geographic of Barangay cuyegkeng, district one of pasay city, metro manila, philippines[edit]

List of Barangay in metro manila, Barangay word in tagalog derived in balangay a Asian native ship boat for logistic purpose of Malay people such as Filipino, Barangay word in English village. Other word of Barangay use in tagalog word barrio, purok, sistio and others. In the late 1970's by decree of late strongman pres. Ferdinand Marcos Sr. all barrio, purok, sistio and village shall change it to word of Barangay all overall entire country philippines. The Barangay 1 and 2 of the district 1 of Pasay city (cuyegkeng) is actual a street not the name of Barangay or village, the street length are covered two Barangay 1 and 2. Cuyegkeng is the Main Street of the village, is Antonio O. Cuyegkeng Sr., and secondary street of the village is goquilay, Vicente Gotamco and may tubig street and roxas blvd. The village situated at pasay city in front of sm mall of Asia the biggest mall in the Asia and city. To give you knowledge about the history, remember philippines is under the colony of united state of american from 1899 to 1945. The village of Barangay Cuyegkeng is former large vacant property during American period a race horse track, from Pablo Ocampos street street stretch of Francis Harrison street to Gil puyat avenue and pres roxas blvd. pasay city. More or less four or six hectares of recreation zoning converted into residential lot area. My great grandfather Antonio O . Cuyegkeng Sr. a Filipino Chinese real estateman or realtor during late 1920's, a joint venture of with other businessman and bankers, the cousin of my great grandfather bankers founder of the china banking corporation in the 1920's one of the corporation incorporators Vicente Gotamco and Guillermo A. Cu-Unjieng cousin of my great grand father and Dee C. Chuan still up to present the bank still exist 96 Yrs. the Dee family owned 10percents of the corporation. The Village of Cuyegkeng Barangay in pasay and a street name of Maytubig Street under Barangay one of district one of pasay city at Back of the century park hotel and grand blvd hotel and near Harrison plaza mall. In the late 1920's the hacienda maytubig was incorporated one of the incorporates Antonio O. Cuyegkeng Sr. and Vicente Gotamco and Goquilay all street are names after the incorporator of the corporation of hacienda Maytubig in pasay city, after the death of the late great grand father the corporation dissolved in 1948. After 68 yrs. the Main Street still name after himself and the village called Barangay 1 and 2. The great grandfather has 19 sibling and the name of one of the great great grandson Antonio R. Cuyegkeng III now 36 yrs old lives in ontorio Canada and great grandson Antonio C. Cuyegkeng II died 3yrs. ago and great grandfather son, which my great grand uncle late Antonio M. Cuyegkeng Jr. died 88 yrs. ago. Shared some of the family history. The village of Barangay Antonio Cuyegkeng is the Main Street village next to city Main Street Francis b. Harrison a former Governor General of the philippines during American period in the 1920's. some part of the property of the hacienda Maytubig has been brought by the city of pasay to give way of the right of way of the pres. Roxas blvd. pasay city. 112.208.4.45 (talk) 15:37, 22 May 2016 (UTC)

Obviously I'm not going to try to read that. Can I have the short form of what you're trying to tell me? Dicklyon (talk) 16:55, 22 May 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Manuel Fal Conde[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Manuel Fal Conde. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 24 May 2016 (UTC)

Sr/Jr commas[edit]

  • Please, about when will you have finished finding Sr/Jr commas to be removed from page names? Anthony Appleyard (talk) 04:27, 24 May 2016 (UTC)

Sadly, I estimate we've done about 10% of them only. The good news is that we've done most of the popular ones, the ones people are likely to see. And we've done all the categories and templates, which show up in lots of places, so hopefully the comma before Jr. will be rarely seen and people will eventually notice it as an error to be fixed when they're used to no comma.

If you have any suggestions for a better process, I'm listening. I don't think we can automate this, as every occurrence of comma before and after Jr in an article needs to be looked at. Dicklyon (talk) 04:47, 24 May 2016 (UTC)

Re-estimating, it looks like we've changed 20% of the ones with commas, and now have about 45% comma-free. Just 3000 or so moves to go (way fewer than half of those will need technical help). Dicklyon (talk) 05:44, 24 May 2016 (UTC)

Mr Lyon, I think you might want to consider applying for the newly-created WP:PAGEMOVER privilege, which might assist you in this regard. RGloucester 16:25, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
Since I've been warned to not do mass moves, I'd rather not push it. A few per day works for me. Be done in less than a year... But maybe User:Mandruss wants to take you up on that suggestion. Dicklyon (talk) 18:33, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
Seems to me that wouldn't reduce the amount of work, or get it done any sooner, it would only concentrate the workload on fewer people.
If it's technically feasible, automating the moves would seem the best solution all things considered. That automation could have an exclusion list consisting of the few known exceptions, and it could produce a list of articles to be subsequently looked at and copy edited. If someone wanted to assert additional exceptions, that could be done by RM.
I have no more personal interest in this than any admin should; I'm simply helping implement a new community consensus. If automation is not possible, and admins object, and no one else can be found to take over that work, I can live with leaving the job half done and letting the entire community spend five years finishing it a little at a time, or never completely finishing it. I could continue with the non-technical moves, skipping the tech ones.
Let me know how I should proceed. ―Mandruss  19:07, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
My point is that the page mover right allows one to suppress a redirect, i.e. eliminating the need for requesting a move at WP:RM/TR in those kinds of cases. At least, that's what I believe it is supposed to do. It would simply mean that Mr Appleyard wouldn't have to be carrying out those kinds of requests. RGloucester 19:49, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
That leaves me confused on two points. If suppressing a redirect means not creating one from the old title, that doesn't seem to be what Mr Appleyard is doing. And I don't know why we would want to do that, since it would break existing links until all of them could be located and changed. ―Mandruss  23:51, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
It is somewhat simple. Let's take a sample case. Let's say someone wanted to move Martin Luther King, Jr. to Martin Luther King Jr. Right now, one could not do that because Martin Luther King Jr exists as a redirect. With the page mover right, one could move the Martin Luther King Jr redirect to some other junk title without leaving a redirect, allowing one to free up the Martin Luther King Jr spot for Martin Luther King, Jr. Then, one simply redirects the junk title to the MLK page, or one could even tag it for speedy deletion as a recently created implausible redirect. Do you get it, now? It would allow these requests to be carried out without necessitating going through WP:RM/TR, and would certainly aid the process without taxing administrators like Mr Appleyard. Indeed, that's why the right was created. One of the main reasons for this was to allow the redirect problem to be dealt with by trusted editors who are not sysops. RGloucester 00:03, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
It is somewhat simple. - And yet, so am I. Do you get it, now? - I think so, thanks so very much.
I still favor automation for a massive, repetitive, tedious task. ―Mandruss  00:17, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
Moving Martin Luther King would be a controversial move, and would need an RM. Let's informally discuss it at the page, and toss the non-Jr. version into the discussion, where we can ping a few people and have a good discussion before doing an RM. Sound okay? Randy Kryn 00:40, 24 May 2016 (UTC)
MLK was just a convenient example, Mr Kyrn. I have no intent to move the page at this juncture, and I don't think anyone else would consider such a move as "uncontroversial". RGloucester 01:28, 25 May 2016 (UTC)

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────It's perhaps worth noting that (1) the other admin involved in handling most of these requests has indicated a willingness to help implement this community consensus, and (2) even Mr Appleyard has not complained as far as I'm aware, but merely asked a question. ―Mandruss  12:46, 25 May 2016 (UTC)

Also other page movers are starting to chip in at WP:RM, so listing there seems it will remain a good solution. Dicklyon (talk) 19:31, 25 May 2016 (UTC)
I've just attained the right, so I shall be able to help if you require it. Feel free to send me any requests. RGloucester 02:23, 28 May 2016 (UTC)
  • Again, please, about when will you have finished finding Sr/Jr commas to be removed from page names? Anthony Appleyard (talk) 04:56, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
Why don't we say end of 2016 as a target? The majority of both Jr and Sr are fixed, but the rate of fixes is slowing. Would you prefer that we move faster, or slower, or stop? Dicklyon (talk) 05:19, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Sorry. But how do you find Sr/Jr comma pages? Do you use a search script, or what? Anthony Appleyard (talk) 06:01, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
I'm just searching manually, using things like "intitle:sr -intitle:route", setting it for 500 hits displayed, and finding ", Sr" in the search hits. Like here, where finding ", Sr." in the page of 500 hits at offset 500 shows that Sr. is cleaned through about 650, and about half-and-half with commas after that (I'm seeing 470 hits, which is usually 2 per article, for another 235 articles with unneeded commas there, and there's another about 290 at offset 1000, so about 520 Sr. to go. Many more Jr., though they're also majority comma-free now. Dicklyon (talk) 15:28, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
Such a relief to see the minimising of unnecessary eye-jerking fly-specks in our titles, especially given that many reliable sources have come to the same conclusion. Tony (talk) 09:05, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
Tony, thanks for your support on the multi-page RM re Martin Luther King Jr. at Talk:Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.#Requested_move_10_July_2016. As one can see in the searches that I use, most of the outliers are the MLK Jr.-related articles that Randy has been insisting keep their commas. It's so odd. Dicklyon (talk) 14:37, 11 July 2016 (UTC)

2016 Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director Search Community Survey[edit]

The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation has appointed a committee to lead the search for the foundation’s next Executive Director. One of our first tasks is to write the job description of the executive director position, and we are asking for input from the Wikimedia community. Please take a few minutes and complete this survey to help us better understand community and staff expectations for the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director.

  • Survey, (hosted by Qualtrics)

Thank you, The Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director Search Steering Committee via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:49, 1 June 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:The Matrix[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:The Matrix. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 2 June 2016 (UTC)

File source problem with File:Excelsior.png[edit]

Thank you for uploading File:Excelsior.png. I noticed that the file's description page currently doesn't specify who created the content, so the copyright status is unclear. If you did not create this file yourself, you will need to specify the owner of the copyright. If you obtained it from a website, please add a link to the page from which it was taken, together with a brief restatement of the website's terms of use of its content. If the original copyright holder is a party unaffiliated with the website, that author should also be credited. Please add this information by editing the image description page.

If the necessary information is not added within the next days, the image will be deleted. If the file is already gone, you can still make a request for undeletion and ask for a chance to fix the problem.

Please refer to the image use policy to learn what images you can or cannot upload on Wikipedia. Please also check any other files you have uploaded to make sure they are correctly tagged. Here is a list of your uploads. If you have any questions or are in need of assistance please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.

ATTENTION: This is an automated, BOT-generated message. This bot DID NOT nominate your file(s) for deletion; please refer to the page history of each individual file for details. Thanks, FastilyBot (talk) 01:00, 4 June 2016 (UTC)

fixed. Dicklyon (talk) 02:43, 4 June 2016 (UTC)

"Penns Creek"[edit]

For what it's worth, the apostrophe seems to be omitted in the creek's actual name. Just figured I'd throw that out there while the move request is still open. Regards, Joefromrandb (talk) 23:34, 8 June 2016 (UTC)

Interesting. You're sure that's not just a recentism? See n-grams. Dicklyon (talk) 23:43, 8 June 2016 (UTC)
It may be recentism. I just realized that the official websites for Penns Creek itself, as well as the eponymous Penns Creek, Pennsylvania, omit the apostrophe. For historical context, sources about the massacre may very well use it. Joefromrandb (talk) 06:14, 9 June 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:James F. Amos[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:James F. Amos. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 10 June 2016 (UTC)

Halsey[edit]

Re [2], I thought we were at least agreed that Jr. comes last in DEFAULTSORT. ―Mandruss  04:21, 12 June 2016 (UTC)

Yes, I messed up on that one. I'll fix it if you haven't. Dicklyon (talk) 04:24, 12 June 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Death of Gloria D. Davis[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Death of Gloria D. Davis. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 18 June 2016 (UTC)

Requested Move[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Government_Medical_College,_Manjeri The second move request seems right, that link appears to be official unlike the first one. Please do the needful.Truebrother (talk) 16:40, 18 June 2016 (UTC)

I had suggested that some discussion there might be useful. I have no position on it, so telling me isn't helpful. Dicklyon (talk) 03:04, 22 June 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, June 29[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We make sure to allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks. We will also have:

  • A brief report on Pride edit-a-thon recently held at the San Francisco Publice Library, coordinated by Merrilee:
    What topics might we cover in a follow up?
    Find out more about resources your public library provides to help with editing (hint, it's more than just books!)
    Special announcement (secret for now but come and find out more!)
  • Join in on an in person Wikidojo!
    Are you curious how your peers approach writing a Wikipedia article? This exercise, pioneered by Wikipedians Nikola Kalchev and Vassia Atanassova in 2015 and conducted in many places around the world, will help us all - from first-time wiki users to veteran Wikipedians - share ideas, while building an article together. If you have ideas (relating to Bay Area history, ideally) about a new article we could build (stubs and short existing articles are fine), please submit them ahead of time to coordinator Pete Forsyth. (User talk page or email is fine.)
    Announcements and impromptu topics are welcome, too!

Please note: You must register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:07, 19 June 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Afghan detainees at Guantanamo Bay[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Afghan detainees at Guantanamo Bay. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 26 June 2016 (UTC)

REMINDER/invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, June 29 at 6 p.m.[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco tonight!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

If you cannot join in person or want to view portions later:

We will have:

  • Light snacks, and time to mingle
  • A brief report on the Pride edit-a-thon recently held at the San Francisco Public Library, that was coordinated by Wiki editor Merrilee
  • A special announcement (secret for now but come and find out more!)
  • Join in on a brief in person Wikidojo!
  • Announcements and impromptu topics are welcome, too!

Please register at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cjLRrSTlEkGOPTQ-h6A0WvSFI4ZmIUl6jEHp_RYas-E/viewform and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict.

For further details, see: Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2016


See you tonight! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 15:48, 29 June 2016 (UTC) | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice)

Sorry I missed again. Out of town on vacation. Dicklyon (talk) 05:53, 1 July 2016 (UTC)

Regarding contested change of Sonti to Sonti (surname)[edit]

Hi!

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to inspect my edit suggestion. Please forgive me if this is not the correct place to continue discussion regarding a contested category change. I am currently in the process of adding information and citations to the page for surname: Sonti. I think it would be worthwhile to add (surname) due to the fact that when referring to Sonti, we Telugus more often than not are referring to the surname. The beverage is recondite in comparison. I intended to add "for the rice based beverage, see Sonti (beverage)" in italics at the top of the page for the surname. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 206.87.193.25 (talk) 05:49, 1 July 2016 (UTC)

I think a single disambig page for Sonti may still be best. Dicklyon (talk) 05:54, 1 July 2016 (UTC)

Mangling[edit]

Hi, 'poligies if mangling occurred, I still haven't figured out how to fix this thing on my computer where the cursor jumps around and I'm either automatically erasing something or typing somewhere else than intended and have to erase . From this you can tell my level of computer expertise ("wipe it with a cloth?"). You gave me an Apple hint some time ago, but I use Windows on a Dell and after searching around that didn't help. Haven't thought of it off-computer much, but I should ask someone how to nudge it. Randy Kryn 11:48, 3 July 2016 (UTC)

I get similar things, but it's always attributable to my sloppiness with the laptop's touchpad, combined with my failure to pay attention to the cursor position. If you're on a desktop with a mouse, it may be something entirely different. You could try replacing the mouse, they're cheap. Anyway, when I suspect something like that may have happened, I use "Show changes" to, well, show the changes, before I save. And sometimes I check out the diff after the save, and I occasionally catch this kind of error then. ―Mandruss  12:05, 3 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks. It's my automatically-hovering-biolocation touchpad as well, I have to keep my thumbs tucked in while typing so that they don't hover over the pad or the cursor moves somewhere with a life of its own, or just erases what I've written. Gives me the "21st Century Blues". I recall what Dick was talking about on the King Ave. RM but I thought I'd caught the jumping-mistakes. Randy Kryn 12:17, 3 June 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Swami Nithyananda[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Swami Nithyananda. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 5 July 2016 (UTC)

File:Samplerates.png listed for discussion[edit]

Information.svg

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:Samplerates.png, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for discussion. Please see the discussion to see why it has been listed (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry). Feel free to add your opinion on the matter below the nomination. Thank you. Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 10:35, 6 July 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:2016 shooting of Dallas police officers[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:2016 shooting of Dallas police officers. Legobot (talk) 04:23, 14 July 2016 (UTC)

Deletion of {{Persondata}}[edit]

Hi Dicklyon,

I'm the bot who is deleting {{Persondata}}. I noticed your edit on Wesley A. Clark in which you added {{Persondata}}. This template is deprecated and deleted. Please stop adding {{Persondata}}. In case you want to support the Persondata project you can help with the migration of the dataset to Wikidata at KasparBot's tool. See Wikipedia:Persondata or contact my operator T.seppelt (talk · contribs) in case you have questions.

Thank you very much, -- KasparBot (talk) 06:33, 22 July 2016 (UTC)

Edits to Wesley A. Clark article[edit]

In your edit on Wesley A. Clark you summarized as "another photo", you also deleted the date of his death and removed references, broke the external link to Smart Computing Encyclopedia, among other unexplained changes. I have reverted it due to these problems. You may want to consider adding the photo as a separate change. CuriousEric 14:43, 22 July 2016 (UTC)

Sorry, I accidentally editted while looking at an old version; fixed. Dicklyon (talk) 17:32, 22 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks. I saw your fix right after I added this section. CuriousEric 20:17, 22 July 2016 (UTC)

Please comment on Talk:Margaret Hamilton (scientist)[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Talk:Margaret Hamilton (scientist). Legobot (talk) 04:23, 24 July 2016 (UTC)

Are you going to delete the high dynamic range article?[edit]

Are you going to delete the high dynamic range article? I have read hundreds of articles on HDR over the last few years and created the articles on Hybrid Log-Gamma and Ultra HD Forum. I want to make an article for high dynamic range but I don't want to spend hours making it if you are simply going to delete it. I can tell that you are still angry about the debate that we had several years ago but just how much hate do you have in your heart? --GrandDrake (talk) 00:57, 25 July 2016 (UTC)

No, I'm just going to evolve it from what was a disambig page. Feel free to add to it. I'm not angry; never was (was frustrated, but that's behind us). Dicklyon (talk) 00:59, 25 July 2016 (UTC)

Late breaking invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, July 27 (Wednesday) - change of venue - tonight[edit]

Please join us in the Mission at Noisebridge (one time change of venue)!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

We hope you can join us today, Wednesday, from 6 p.m. on, at our July Bay Area WikiSalon. This month only, we are going to be at Noisebridge, a hackerspace/makerspace 1.5 blocks from the 16th & Mission BART station (see the link for directions). Some of us will be working on the Wikipedia article on basic income. All info here. Some good news - we do not have to be as strict about advance RSVP at Noisebridge, so bring spontaneous guests! (Registering ahead of time is still helpful, as always, as it will help us plan ahead.)

Come and hang out, have some light snacks. Wi-Fi is available, so please bring your editing device if you plan to edit.

Also, Pete just published a writeup of the Wikidojo exercise we did last month. Your comments welcome, if he missed anything! http://wikistrategies.net/ghost-town-royals-wikidojo

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. Mark you calendars now.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, Stephen and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:05, 27 July 2016 (UTC)