- 1 Welcome
- 2 Your submission at Articles for creation
- 3 Help me with a photo.
- 4 Disambiguation link notification for February 2
- 5 Disambiguation link notification for July 13
- 6 Disambiguation link notification for August 14
- 7 Help me!
- 8 ArbCom elections are now open!
- 9 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
Hi Doug, Thankyou for your addittions to Clay Shirky. I know it's frustrating that one can't preview references. You might want to try using the citation templates. Another very handy tool is Twinkle which will install citation buttons on your toolbar. Wwwhatsup (talk) 03:11, 21 April 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for your help. The link to citation templates was just what I was looking for. Also the other links I'll refer to as I take a more methodical approach to learning how to edit and how the Wikipedia community works.
Doug4 07:19, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- Very good. You'll see that I've added things that I find useful to my user page.
- I was in touch with Shirky this week. There's a possibility of setting up a debate between him and Jaron Lanier. Hope I can pull it off! Wwwhatsup (talk) 09:26, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- A debate between Clay and Jaron would be very interesting. I must admit I know nothing of Jaron Lanier other than the Wikipedia article about him, which I just read after you mentioned him. A fascinating guy -- I'll be learning more about him. Doug4 10:09, 23 April 2010 (UTC)
- I read Chris Hedges' column "The Information Super-Sewer" to which you provided a link. After reading it I feel like Jaron Lanier needs a little vacation away from the Internet, TV, cell phones, computers and radio. Maybe in some little rural place where he can get some exercise and take in a bit of Nature. He seems a bit tightly wound.
- I found the Google news archive to which you had a link on your user page really useful. Thanks. Doug4 06:37, 24 April 2010 (UTC)
Yep. That archive is great isn't it. I'm considering getting a print sub to the NY Times just so I can access the full articles. Take a look, for instance, at how much I was able to dig up on Irving Plaza on a recent all-nighter. Lanier invented Virtual Reality - he has every right to become an apostate.. Wwwhatsup (talk) 10:13, 24 April 2010 (UTC)
- Amazing. You gathered a huge amount of material. The archive is a powerful tool. You mentioned a print sub to the NY Times. What is that? In regard to Lanier, I respect his achievements, and I too at times feel many of the negative aspects of the Internet and it's impact on society. I'm interested in learning Wikipedia's policy on discussion of topics that aren't strictly Wikipedia-oriented, such as our discussions of Lenier. We could easily carry on our discussion by e-mail. Doug4 21:54, 24 April 2010 (UTC)
Your submission at Articles for creation
Help me with a photo.
I found a photo in Wikipedia Commons that I want to crop and include in an article. I thought it might be useful to others if my cropped photo was somehow associated with the original photo in Wikipedia Commons. Please tell me what I need to do. Thanks.
The URL of the Wikipedia original is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Moore_Gro%C3%9Fe_liegende_Frauenfigur_1957_Z%C3%BCrich.jpg
Doug4 20:40, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
- When you upload your cropped version to the Commons, you'll be asked about the author and source. You should use those fields to establish the association, preferably including a link to the original at Commons:File:Moore Große liegende Frauenfigur 1957 Zürich.jpg (in fact the CC-BY-SA 3.0 License requires attribution, so it's not just useful, but necessary). Huon (talk) 21:00, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that you've added some links pointing to disambiguation pages. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
- 100 Greatest African Americans (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver)
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited List of San Francisco State University people, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Theodore Roszak (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Lake Jasybay, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Kazakh (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
Please help me with editing an image file page. I brightened an image using Photoshop, and then uploaded it, creating a new file page, but I think it would be better if my image was included as a new version on the original image file page. How do I go about this?
In case it is helpful to see the pages that I am talking about, the original page is:
My version is:
Thanks in advanced.
Doug4 21:26, 4 September 2015 (UTC)
- There's an "upload a new version of this file" link at the bottom of the "file history" section of the file page at the Wikimedia Commons (not on the local English Wikipedia version of that file page). You can use that to add your version on the original file page and then tag your version for speedy deletion as an accidentally-created duplicate; see commons:Commons:Speedy deletion for details on speedy deletion on the Commons. Huon (talk) 21:50, 4 September 2015 (UTC)
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:29, 23 November 2015 (UTC)