User talk:Doug Weller
The current date and time is 24 June 2017 T 11:41 UTC.
|This user talk page might be talk page stalkers which means that someone other than me might reply to your query. Their input is welcome and their help with messages that I cannot reply to quickly is appreciated.by friendly|
|Welcome to my talk page! I am an administrator here on Wikipedia. That means I am here to help. It does not mean that I have any special status or something, it just means that I get to push a few extra buttons to help maintain this encyclopedia.
If you need help with something, feel free to ask. Click
You can email me from this link but in the interests of Wiki-transparency, please message me on this page unless there are pressing reasons to do otherwise. Comments which I find to be uncivil, full of vulgarities, flame baiting, or that are excessively rude may be deleted without response. If I choose not to answer, that's my right; don't keep putting it back. I'll just delete and get annoyed at you.
I have continuously tried to enhance the Wiki Encyclopedia via research I have discovered. If I am doing it incorrectly, please help !e do it correctly.
- 1 Checkuser
- 2 Yo Ho Ho
- 3 Holiday card
- 4 To anyone I missed, & especially my great talk page stalkers
- 5 Merry Christmas
- 6 Why I Chose Opposition to Trump
- 7 Urgent Intervention
- 8 Western culture
- 9 Dispute resolution
- 10 Wikidata weekly summary #265
- 11 Untitled
- 12 Books and Bytes - Issue 22
- 13 Regarding Edit of Vaimānika Shāstra page
- 14 Please comment on Wikipedia talk:Changing username
- 15 Christianity and violence and Draft:Violence and Christianity
- 16 The Signpost: 23 June 2017
- 17 A "troll"
Could you run a quick checkuser for me, please? I have a probable DUCK sock of an indef blocked user and I need to confirm. The sock is Sjick14, the indef-blocked user is CaptainHog. SPI at the far bottom will have the most current IP and account information, of course. Also, could you check for any sleepers while you are at it? Diannaa usually handles these, but she is offline at the moment. Much appreciated. - Neutralhomer • Talk • 13:06 on September 3, 2016 (UTC)
- I filed an SPI related to the above request. Just letting you know. - Neutralhomer • Talk • 15:25 on September 3, 2016 (UTC)
Yo Ho Ho
|Wishing you a Charlie Russell Christmas,
|"Here's hoping that the worst end of your trail is behind you
That Dad Time be your friend from here to the end
And sickness nor sorrow don't find you."
—C.M. Russell, Christmas greeting 1926.
Montanabw(talk) 25 December 2016 (UTC)
To anyone I missed, & especially my great talk page stalkers
Why I Chose Opposition to Trump
The reason I put the category Opposition to Trump on the pages is because some of these people criticized his polices and behavior. I thought that counts as opposition.— Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 17:37, 5 June 2017
Urgent intervention: On 26 December 2016, Wikipedia's WP:ARCA ratified a new amendment affecting all articles broadly construed with the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, making all newly deleted content subject to consensus before it can be restored. But, as you can see by my edit made on 16 June 2017, where the word "illegal" was deleted (see edit), since it did not apply to settlements around Husan, User:Huldra followed in suit by responding in a questionable manner, (see edit), deleting this time valid content, knowing that she can hardly be held accountable in Palestinian-Israeli related articles after the ratification of the new amendment, although, in actuality, what she did is considered WP:Gaming the system. Another edit that can clearly be construed as "Gaming the system" is that of User:nableezy, whose recent edit on the Urif article deliberately caused valid sources to be deleted, those sources which showed that, by one account, no Israeli had set fire to a field, and that it had been set ablaze by somebody else, perhaps even unintentionally. See edit. He deleted what was "balanced" reporting, to make Israelis appear as the sole culprits. What disciplinary measures can be taken against this phenomenon, to assure that we maintain a basis of cordial collaborative editing, and without abusing the system?Davidbena (talk) 19:12, 18 June 2017 (UTC)
- Since I see I was mentioned in several places, Ill copy and paste the response from one: :You should try writing on the talk page and explaining why you continue to engage in OR and write things in articles that simply do not appear in the sources cited. nableezy - 19:34, 18 June 2017 (UTC)
- (talk page gnome) @Music314812813478: A diff appears to show that you have reverted all of it. I have reported the IP address at WP:AIV and have requested temporary semi-protection for the page at WP:RPP. These may ultimately be unnecessary, but if it is, it should help. Thanks, —PaleoNeonate - 04:45, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- You're welcomeMusic314812813478 (talk) 04:51, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- @Music314812813478: Update: temporary page protection declined: Special:Permalink/786407933#Western_culture. The IP address is still pending at WP:AIV, if it's also declined, since editing ceased, no action may be necessary at this point until activity resumes. Thanks, —PaleoNeonate - 08:50, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
Hi, thanks for your note. Re: the DRN for Malayalam, there appears to be a shortage of volunteers to take up the case and from what I can see, WP:3O appears to be even more deserted. I've not had to resort to dispute resolution before. Am I handling this correctly? Any advice will be appreciated.--Cpt.a.haddock (talk) (please ping when replying) 07:08, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
- @Cpt.a.haddock: Looks fine. Just make sure you stay polite. Doug Weller talk 12:36, 19 June 2017 (UTC)
Wikidata weekly summary #265
Thank you Doug. I will change those things. I know this is a redundant subject but the article that is already here is tagged as biased, and when I tried editing it, everything, even what met the "verify" requirement correctly was reverted. I thought I would have a little more leeway in paraphrasing in something I was writing myself, since it seemed like that's how it worked in articles I have read here, but I am trying to be really careful--I really am! This is so hard! I really want to do a good job on this--it seems really important. I would be happy to have just inserted into the existing article--but I don't think the author wanted that. It's discouraging. Jenhawk777 (talk) 05:47, 20 June 2017 (UTC)Jenhawk777Jenhawk777 (talk) 05:47, 20 June 2017 (UTC)
It's me again. Jenhawk777 (talk) 05:55, 20 June 2017 (UTC)Jenhawk777Jenhawk777 (talk) 05:55, 20 June 2017 (UTC) You said the article fails because it has original research--but it doesn't. Instead of quoting, I paraphrased, then put the reference I paraphrased from at the end of the sentence. I thought that was how the other editor told me to do it--not to quote but to paraphrase and reference. I have a reference at the end of almost every sentence. Only occasionally do I string two sentences together without one--but only because they are from the same source. All of the information in this is published. It is strung together in a slightly different manner than the other guys--but none of this is mine--except that danged intro! Which I will remove--change-- do something with! I so appreciate your input. I am not defensive about correction. Feel free to tear it apart! It will only help me learn. Thank you! :-)
Jenhawk777 (talk) 18:53, 20 June 2017 (UTC)Jenhawk777 I made some changes--can you tell me if this is more in keeping with the requirements? Could I put this in an edit of the other article instead? I would be happy to do that if you could make a recommendation.
Jenhawk777 (talk) 20:53, 21 June 2017 (UTC)Jenhawk777 Thank you for responding! It's perfectly okay if it takes awhile--I'm guessing you have a life outside Wiki! :-) I have attempted to edit the original article--again--since you seem so sure this one will not be accepted. I care about the topic, in a time when terrorism is on the rise, it seems especially important to understand it accurately, and it is my field. :-) I've read all that all three of the commenters have recommended and I keep thinking I understand yet somehow am not pleasing you! Please don't give up on me! I will keep working till I get it right.
- (talk page stalker)A couple suggestions, @Jenhawk777:. Put your -first- post of a series on a page at the bottom; afterwards, yes, but continue it in below the responses to it. Next, sign your posts at the end, not the beginning. When a user name shows up at the begining, that usually means it's a reply to them, or a mention of them, not their own words. Sign with four tildes ~~~~. This adds a signature block as long as you are signed in. Anmccaff (talk)
Books and Bytes - Issue 22
Regarding Edit of Vaimānika Shāstra page
In reference to this edit, I wanted to draw your attention to a biography of Shastri, published by Sri M.C. Krishna Swamy Iyengar and Sri Venkatachala Sharma on 12th March 1972, which mentions him meeting Talpade in Bombay. Here is a page mentioning this incident, with reference to the biography. Also, the source PDF used in wiki too mentions him as Dr. Talpade (Page 3, column 2), however, it cites it as an unsuccessful attempt, possibly due to lack of access to original Kesari article and the fact that a serious research was undertaken later(Sentinels of the Sky. Air Headquarter, Indian Air Force. 1999.). But as seen in the other Wiki page, Kesari has recorded the unmanned flight of the craft and there are several eye witnesses as well.— Preceding unsigned comment added by MeditatingDragon (talk • contribs) 03:45, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
- @MeditatingDragon: Thanks. Your first source, the Hidden Mysteries book, doesn't pass our criteria for reliable sources at WP:RS although you could challenge this at WP:RSN. Sentinels of the Sky looks better but are you sure it mentions Shastri? Remember that's why I removed it, not because I was challenging the unmanned flight. The pdf is confusing as it says that Talpade did try to make some models along the lines Shastri suggested but those wouldn't fly. The only way I can make sense of that is that his unmanned plane, the Marutsakhā, was not modeled after Shastri but something else. Doug Weller talk 14:16, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
Please comment on Wikipedia talk:Changing username
The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Wikipedia talk:Changing username. Legobot (talk) 04:31, 21 June 2017 (UTC)
Doug Weller I need some advice. Jytdog has told me that I am not allowed to have my draft of Violence and Christianity because an article already exists and if I don't move it our of drafts it will be deleted. Does he get to decide this? Is there any court of appeals? Do I not even get to finish it and let Wikipedia decide? I tried editing the original article--again--and it got reverted--again--because he says it is personal opinion but it is not. It follows sticktothesource guidelines exactly. I summarized because the material is new enough it is still under copyright but it is all referenced and verifiable--every statement. It is not original material--not mine anyway--it is not opinion--not mine again. What can I do? Is there anything? He talks about rabid Christians on the talk page there. All I am attempting is some genuine balance. The article is seriously biased. The first paragraph speaks of Christians trying to "justify themselves" through their writings. Doug--that is loaded language. That assumes something needs justifying. The article is filled with statements of that nature. I am not even arguing about removing any of that--let it stand--just include the balancing view -- let people have all the information and make up their own minds. If not, why not a second article? My article will end up better Doug. I just want the chance to finish it and let people there decide. I don't want one person deciding before it's even done. Is there anything I can do? Please help. Jenhawk777 (talk) 03:49, 22 June 2017 (UTC)
- You are completely misunderstanding me. Completely. This is just about moving a document from one place to another, so that it doesn't get deleted. for pete's sake, calm down. Jytdog (talk) 04:38, 22 June 2017 (UTC)
The Signpost: 23 June 2017
- News and notes: Departments reorganized at Wikimedia Foundation, and a month without new RfAs (so far)
- In the media: Kalanick's nipples; Episode #138 of Drama on the Hill
- Op-ed: Facto Post: a fresh take
- Featured content: Will there ever be a break? The slew of featured content continues
- Traffic report: Wonder Woman beats Batman, The Mummy, Darth Vader and the Earth
- Technology report: Improved search, and WMF data scientist tells all
"The wikipedia user inserting all this nonsense into various wikipedia pages (about the C-group culture, Kerma, etc.) is probably some disgusting Berber nationalist troll who is desperately trying to construct a super-ancient Berber civilization of some sort on the pages of wikipedia by using inaccurate citations and distorting the meaning or relevance of sources." Please take a look at this user's edits and behaviors. He's now editing while not logged in. Regards -Aṭlas (talk) 23:49, 23 June 2017 (UTC)