Protection on Debbie Reynolds
03:24, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
- Actually, no. I still see blue highlighters in the history logs. George Ho (talk) 03:26, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
- Also, if both will end simultaneously, PC protection is unnecessary. George Ho (talk) 03:27, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
- Looks like you're correct and I learned something about PC; I've fixed it (again). Thanks. 03:32, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
Maxine or Maxene?
Did it every occur to you that the source might be in error? The authenticity of source information cannot be guaranteed or verified. This same problem exists with Tonya Harding. Her middle name is spelled Maxene, but Maxine might be the correct spelling.
I perused an exhaustive list of girls' names; Maxine comes up, but there is no listing for Maxene.
I would be willing to lay odds that "Maxine" is the correct spelling for the name.
- Sure it occurred to me, so I checked other sources and found it as "Maxene" with an E in other places, including CNN. It's not our job to decide that an "exhaustive list" is more accurate than the actual source we are referencing for the information. 15:10, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
- In addition, the spelling of a person's name is - whether we spelling snobs like it or not, and I do count myself as a spelling snob - a personal thing. I personally know of people who spell the name Michael as Micheal, which is "wrong", except that it's what is on their birth certificates, so by default it is right. 15:14, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
If you will click on the following link, you will see that the the name is spelled Maxine:
A great deal of source information is hearsay, conjecture, speculation, or information to the nth degree. I guess that you would have to go all the way back to Debbie Reynold's mother to verify the spelling of the name.
- I'm not saying that there are no references that use Maxine as the spelling; indeed, I agree that is by far the more common spelling I've heard of. But IMDB as a source? This essay explains why that's a bad idea. Sure, it's an essay, not a policy, but as long as I've been around these parts, IMDB hasn't been what we think of as a reliable source. 15:36, 29 December 2016 (UTC)
News and updates for administrators from the past month (January 2017). This first issue is being sent out to all administrators, if you wish to keep receiving it please subscribe. Your feedback is welcomed.
- NinjaRobotPirate • Schwede66 • K6ka • Ealdgyth • Ferret • Cyberpower678 • Mz7 • Primefac • Dodger67
- Briangotts • JeremyA • BU Rob13
- A discussion to workshop proposals to amend the administrator inactivity policy at Wikipedia talk:Administrators has been in process since late December 2016.
- Wikipedia:Pending changes/Request for Comment 2016 closed with no consensus for implementing Pending changes level 2 with new criteria for use.
- Following an RfC, an activity requirement is now in place for bots and bot operators.
- When performing some administrative actions the reason field briefly gave suggestions as text was typed. This change has since been reverted so that issues with the implementation can be addressed. (T34950)
- Following the latest RfC concluding that Pending Changes 2 should not be used on the English Wikipedia, an RfC closed with consensus to remove the options for using it from the page protection interface, a change which has now been made. (T156448)
- The Foundation has announced a new community health initiative to combat harassment. This should bring numerous improvements to tools for admins and CheckUsers in 2017.
- JohnCD (John Cameron Deas) passed away on 30 December 2016. John began editing Wikipedia seriously during 2007 and became an administrator in November 2009.
13:36, 1 February 2017 (UTC)
Request for deleted page information
Hello I'm the admin of the Katy Perry Wiki and I was wondering if I can see the information from the deleted page "(A) Katy Perry". IT was deleted years ago, but I thought it would be worth a shot asking an admin. Thank you have a great day. Cyberjoel95 (talk) 05:13, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
- I'm not clear what you're asking for. The page history for Katy Perry goes back to 2008. What do you need? 15:21, 21 March 2017 (UTC)