Newspaper in Canadian Society - Questions
Hi Gabby...I'm having technical difficulties with my page. For some reason whenever I try to cite, the list of choices that tells me whether I want to cite a webpage, a journal, etc does not show up. Another issue I have is that my section called "Theoretical Background" is also not showing up in the final page, evem though it is in the editing page. Could you please help. Thank you. Leyla — Preceding unsigned comment added by Leyla Doss (talk • contribs) 18:41, 29 November 2011 (UTC)
Hey Gabby, my debate topic is Wikipedia is a Neo-liberal Trojan Horse, i just have a question.
How are people picked as ambassadors? Also, how do you become a qualified editor, i read somewhere that its just about doing more and more edits. Is that right? the more edits you do the more qualified you become.
Also, when an editor creates a new page, does he have the final say in what should be inputted into the article? I know disputes are resolved by the Wikipedia group, but what's the process for that. Has it ever happened to you?
INF1001 - Assignment 2
Hey Gabby! I made some changes to my article, public library, and made a few comments on the discussion page, but I haven't heard anything back so far. Can you please take a look at the article for me and provide some feedback for me? Thanks so much and happy Halloween weekend! (LauraKBC (talk) 02:53, 31 October 2011 (UTC))
Hi Gabby, the topic I have signed up is private good. I have made some edits and have not received any reviews so far. I wonder if you could take a look at my edits and give some comments. Thanks! wangsh45 (talk) 10:19, 28 October 2011 (UTC)
Hi Gabby! I was wondering if you could review the edits I made to Commons-based peer production and give me your feedback; I haven't received any reviews to the article post-edit so I really appreciate your comments ! they will be helpful in my future edits as well as the reflection paper for the course! Thanks for your help ! Aminsaket (talk) 02:42, 27 October 2011 (UTC)Aminsaket (talk) 14:21, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
Hi Gabby! I was wondering if you could review the edits I made to Modernization of Investigative Techniques Act and tell me what you think? I haven't had any reviews to the article post-edit and I am afraid I won't be able to complete the reflection paper if I don't get any comments. Thanks for your time! Nikasho (talk) 02:42, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
Hi Gabby: i recently made an edit to another wikipedia page that has nothing to do with this course. My edit was undone by what i am assuming is an editor but then another editor reversed this and commented to the other editor that my posting was worthy to stay. how do i get in on the conversation between the two? thanks --ChocolateStrawberries (talk) 21:54, 29 October 2011 (UTC)
Hey Gabby: thanks. i stumbled on this page accidentally and on a whim thought it would be fun to contribute and see if anyone would respond since nobody is discussing my edit for INF 1001. I have been scoping out some better citations and adding them. i also left an entry on the entry's discussion page. hopefully it doesn't get axed in the end. definitively a funny way to waste time. cheers.--ChocolateStrawberries (talk) 23:53, 29 October 2011 (UTC)
INF1001 - General Questions and Comments
Hi Gabby, I have signed up to edit the History of books page. There is a suggestion to edit a timeline using Prose. I have read the related link, but am not quite sure how Prose differs from a timeline. I was wondering if you could clear this up for me, possibly provide an example I could look at. Thank you for your time. --Jen.cooper (talk) 23:44, 26 October 2011 (UTC)
Hey Gabby. If we want to check and see if anyone responded to our proposals or edits (for Assignment 2), do we just check the article's talk page or our talk page? Would these types of responses/comments appear elsewhere? Thanks!--Btgard (talk) 04:40, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
INF1001 - Welcome Messages
- Hi Gabby, Thanks for the Wikipedia pointers and the info on veggie food around campus. I am new to U of T and am frankly finding the food to be abysmal, though I must say I haven't ventured too far from Robart's. I haven't seen Sweet and Lowdown so I will put it on my list. Other than that, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you re:Wikipedia formatting, so stay tuned. Thanks again! (Albertine1 (talk) 00:22, 5 October 2011 (UTC))
- Hello Gabby! My apologies for the delayed greeting but I could not create an account earlier due to other unavoidable obligations. Anyway, I really found the instructional links on your profile page very helpful. Talk to you soon. MrSidneyReilly (talk) 04:45, 4 October 2011 (UTC)
- Gabby, Thanks so much for the Projection Booth info and the movie suggestion. The cast of Hell Comes to Frogtown looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it! Thanks also for the Wikipedia intro links and especially the coffee/studying/who to know information. I've been looking for good cheap coffee and hadn't found any yet, so this is exciting. Next week I will be well-caffeinated and not broke!--Bethdee (talk) 16:49, 2 October 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby. Although I've never seen Lady Gaga fall off a piano, I can't imagine how that would compete with 60s doo-wop, so I'm with you there. Thanks for your talk in class last week! Ari Tea (talk) 03:01, 29 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Gabby! Fun talk last week- I've become slightly obsessed with the edit history of Rob Ford's page... --Norad87 (talk) 23:37, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby - looking forward to working with you!C Land —Preceding undated comment added 13:40, 28 September 2011 (UTC).
- Hey Gabby. Thanks for the wiki intro in class last week, it was really interesting. My only issue is that I can not get onto my user page so that I can make it, not really sure what is going on there. Also when I tried to insert a citation into an article it would insert into the text but it would not go into the references list...this could all be a result of my lack of wiki skills but I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!!--Alybe (talk) 16:20, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby - thanks for the quick tutorial in class last week. It was very helpful. My next project - creating headers and subcategories for a page I am editing. (it took me three tries to get this right... Cheers, Tys. --Tys1961 (talk) 03:51, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks for the advice and links! You're right, I'm very new to U of T and have been getting pretty lost and confused this year (both on campus and online). Not to worry, though - practice makes perfect. Let me know if you have any more tips or advice... I'd love to hear them! All the best. W charbonneau (talk) 03:25, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby! Thanks for your help in INF1001 last week and I hope you had a lovely weekend. LauraKBC (talk) 02:33, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, I'm Shan. Thanks for showing us how this Wiki talk page works.Wangsh45 (Wangsh45) 21:44, 27 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for the intro to wikipedia last Thursday! Aspiringlib (talk) 17:59, 27 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, my name Jen. Thanks for clearing a few things up for me. I do have a question about attaching a picture within our Wiki user profiles (or any article for that matter). Say you have a picture saved in your documents, do you just cut and paste it into the edit page? I tried to watch a video tutorial about this, however, I am not the most tech-savy person. Any help or directions would be great! Thanks. Jen.cooper (talk) 17:57, 27 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, I'm Catherine! I'm vegetarian and like Woody Allen movies, especially Manhattan Murder Mystery. I don't like having to stand on the streetcar. Thanks for helping us wade through Wikipedia! (Albertine1 (talk) 04:06, 27 September 2011 (UTC))
- Hello Gabby, thank you for your response and for the tip regarding possible streaming in Bissell basement! Duly noted! Having now found a stream site that works has helped ease the pain of my move to Toronto. I agree about the just bleed crowd but also the ones who call for triangles when there is possibility of a triangle in standup (and no, they don't even mean a flying triangle). I like Lesnar (heyy I used to watch pro wrestling, give me a break) although I think sadly, he has hit his peak. I know Overeem's a good fighter but could he get any bigger..? TUF 14 is looking to be a great season - I love the lighter weight classes. So impressed by Nate Diaz and Jon Jones' performances over the weekend. Made me feel better about Jake Shields, especially because the Diaz brothers got his back. Thanks again for all the wonderful information! --Farah-baleine (talk) 01:00, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, Gabby. This is pretty exciting stuff. Looking forward to working with you. --Sf0708 (talk) 19:14, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Gabby, thanks for the overview last Wednesday in class. I learned basic formatting for Wikipedia. Was really excited to put up links =p Still much to learn, but thanks! --Farah-baleine (talk) 17:54, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for the wiki lesson...hope this works! ---Elzaibak (talk) 10:05, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby! Thanks for showing us how to test the talk pages! -- Mfinlay10 (talk) 13:27, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby! It's Will Charbonneau from section 9 of the INF 1001 tutorials. Thanks for showing us how to create a Wikipedia account! Now, if I could only get the hang of it... --W charbonneau (talk) 04:05, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Gabby, Pleasure meeting you... I hope -unlike myself- you've managed to get outdoors enjoy the awesome weather today!Mrawahi (talk) 22:32, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby. Like everyone else, I just want to say thanks for your help. --Meghanl.fitzpatrick (talk) 20:29, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby! It was great to have you in our Tutorial last Wednesday! (Mens.E11 (talk) 15:40, 25 September 2011 (UTC))
- Hello, Gabby. Nice to meet you this week - thanks for all the information! Okayhailey (talk) 02:31, 24 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello, Gabby. Pleasure to meet you! Best... Laura Sorbara --Elle Sceaux (talk) 16:07, 21 September 2011 (UTC)
- Gabby, enjoyed the talk you gave this morning, best Sean MonaghanMonaghansean (talk) 18:13, 21 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for walking us through Wikipedia this morning! Have a great day!...Lily Hoang--Nikasho (talk) 18:35, 21 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi! Thanks for coming to our tutorial! --Copperserpentine (talk) 20:37, 21 September 2011 (UTC)copperserpentine
- Hi Gabby, I enjoyed your talk this morning about Wikipedia and hope to be learning a lot more about its functionality in the weeks to come! --Michy belle (talk) 20:46, 21 September 2011 (UTC)
- Greetings, just wondering how I can add the course main page to my watchlist? --Uotgreer (talk) 14:58, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby! Thanks for your talk this morning. Hope this works! --Phyllisagain (talk) 15:03, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Sir, thanks for teaching me IT things that I know nothing about! --SADeGroot (talk) 15:40, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- I am suspicious of all this. Thanks for talking to us this morning anyway! --ÉtoileDeMer (talk) 16:08, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you for the talk this morning! I finally managed to make an account. I think I'm getting the hang of this now. Thank you!! --sarg123 (talk) 16:29, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby--thanks for the brief tour of Wikipedia this morning! Don't worry, some us aren't scared of Wiki markup. :) --Mari (talk) 16:41, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey there Gabby! Thanks for the talk this morning. I think I'm starting to understand this whole Wiki thing... We shall see how it goes!--Nell Flynn (talk) 17:09, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Yo Gabby! Good on you for the info this morning. I think I may be figuring this out. Cheers! --Dougie89 (talk) 19:07, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby-Thanks for the talk this morning. All of this doesn't seem so difficult to figure out now!--Leiden88 (talk) 19:28, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Gabby Rollo Tomasi is on Wiki now tomasirollo (talk) --Tomasirollo (talk) 19:36, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby. Thanks for this morning's helpful instructions. --LTD2 (talk) 19:51, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Gabby, check out this dramatic cat video dramatic cat --Kristina Chin (talk) 19:55, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, Thanks for all the info this morning, it made this much easier.--Sara.sher (talk) 20:25, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for all the wiki information. --Judedmstewart (talk) 21:57, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey - thanks for talking about wikipedia this morning - I'm not sure I really get it yet...with time I guess I'll figure it all out!! And I also sent you questions. -- — Preceding unsigned comment added by Knowledgeagent33 (talk • contribs) 00:09, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, pleasure meeting you this morning. Thanks for taking your valuable time to show us how this whole Wikipedia thing works. Also, for showing us the hilarious Rob Ford vandalism history :) FutureInfoPro (talk) 02:20, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby, thanks for the info this morning at the tutorial, shame we kind of ran out of time though. AustinDaSilveira (talk) 02:24, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby, thanks for all the info this morning. Much appreciated. --AaronRoussain (talk) 04:33, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, great talk yesterday, will really help out with the course.--Infocourse (talk) 11:44, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Gabby - thanks for the Wikipedia breakdown on Wednesday! --Jbnisenson (talk) 17:20, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for the Wikipedia tutorial this week! --Wgomoll (talk) 14:17, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for the advice and the great overview of Wikipedia! --ST2526 (talk) 14:37, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi gabby. Thanks for the intro, it was extremely helpful. All of my friends have been enjoying the Rob Ford page edits. You've brought joy to so many people! --Bethdee (talk) 18:31, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, I hope this gets easier! It was easy for me to find a topic to add to!--2ytbal (talk) 18:51, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby, thanks for going over Wikipedia on Wednesday! Conorechlin (talk) 20:03, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Heya Gabby! Thanks for the help. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me...--Jesewe (talk) 20:25, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby- I'll continue as well with the thanks for the helpful hints theme....Thanks! Northoff (talk) 14:58, 24 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby- Hope your having an awesome weekend, thanks for all your help! User:Vjordan87
- Hello Gabby, we meet again on Wikipedia. I look forward to seeing you in future tutorals. Take care.--Knowledgemania (talk) 00:37, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hello Gabby. Thanks for your help with this. When I searched for you I used a comma, not a period. I am slowly getting the hang of this. Old dogs...Ann Huff (talk) 01:04, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby! Thanks for the information and the interesting link! (Jorjani (talk) 12:46, 25 September 2011 (UTC))
- Hi Gabby, nice meeting you last week, hope you had a nice weekend! (Imthiyaz84 (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 14:23, 25 September 2011 (UTC).
- Thanks very much for the timely reminder about the dangers of Too Much Information on the Web. I will have to keep a closer eye on my digital doppelgänger! Lnear (talk)--Lnear (talk) 20:14, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby! Thanks for coming to our tutorial last week. The information was really helpful. Nav.Malik (talk)--Nav.Malik (talk) 22:03, 25 September 2011 (UTC)
- Thank you for the information in our seminar last week. --Teedaniel (talk) 00:52, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby. You're lucky - Part of me wanted to screw up the indentation on purpose. Yay Wikipedia! --Alicetales (talk) 02:51, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Greetings! Thanks for the introduction last week. Looking forward to learning much more. --Cgriffioen (talk) 15:49, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby. Apologies for the absence of a cat video in this post, but it's so hard to pick just one. Arndisj (talk) 20:01, 26 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby. One thing about me is that I can be a bit of a procrastinator. Yay Wikipedia!--Btgard (talk) 12:38, 27 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby. I beat the procrastinator. I guess that makes me a bit more of a procrastinator. Ionsforums (talk) 01:39, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby. this is definitively a new experience. Not sure if i'm getting but plan to work on it. --ChocolateStrawberries (talk) 02:26, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- hi gabby: it's me again. im trying to figure out how to comment on someone's article. can't figure it out.--ChocolateStrawberries (talk) 02:43, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby. Thank you for being our Wikipedia Ambassador! HakeberB (talk) 12:59, 28 September 2011 (UTC)
- Howdy Gabby, thanks for hanging out with our class and showing us around Wikipedia. --Bginf1001 (talk) 01:17, 29 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hey Gabby! WUSAAAP. This is me posting a greeting. I hope you feel greeted! (gret?) Bjoeeojb (talk) 05:30, 29 September 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Gabby. Better late than never. Thanks for the talk. Popartblue (talk) 04:49, 27 October 2011 (UTC)
Canada Education Program
Hello. This message is being sent to inform you that there is currently a discussion at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard/Incidents regarding an issue with which you may have been involved. The discussion is about the topic WP:ANI#New Canadian education project. Thank you. 12:36, 15 December 2011 (UTC)
Hi! You indicated you'd like to help us beta-test the new MediaWiki 1.19 extension for the Education Program. Click here to get started.
|Hi Gabby.resch! Women around the world who edit and contribute to Wikipedia are coming together to celebrate each other's work, support one another, and engage new women to also join in on the empowering experience of shaping the sum of all the world's knowledge - through the WikiWomen's Collaborative.
As a WikiWoman, we'd love to have you involved! You can do this by:
We can't wait to have you involved, and feel free to drop by our meta page (under construction) to see how else you can participate!
Wikipedia Ambassadors update
Hi! You're getting this message because you are or have been a Wikipedia Ambassador. A new term is beginning for the United States and Canada Education Programs, and I wanted to give you an update on some important new information if you're interested in continuing your work this term as a Wikipedia Ambassador.
You may have heard a reference to a transition the education program is going through. This is the last term that the Wikimedia Foundation will directly run the U.S. and Canada programs; beginning in June, a proposed thematic organization is likely to take over organizing the program. You can read more about the proposal here.
Another major change in the program will take effect immediately. Beginning this term, a new MediaWiki education extension will replace all course pages and Ambassador lists. (See Wikipedia:Course pages and Help:Education Program extension for more details.) Included in the extension are online volunteer and campus volunteer user rights, which let you create and edit course pages and sign up as an ambassador for a particular course.
If you would like to continue serving as a Wikipedia Ambassador — even if you do not support a class this term — you must create an ambassador profile. If you're no longer interested in being a Wikipedia Ambassador, you don't need to do anything.
- Please do these steps as soon as possible
First, you need the relevant user rights for Online and/or Campus Ambassadors. (If you are an admin, you can grant the rights yourself, for you as well as other ambassadors.) Just post your rights request here, and we'll get you set up as quickly as possible.
Once you've got the ambassador rights, please set up at a Campus and/or Online Ambassador profile. You can do so at:
Going forward, the lists of Ambassadors at Special:CampusAmbassadors and Special:OnlineAmbassadors will be the official roster of who is an active Ambassador. If you would like to be an Ambassador but not ready to serve this term, you can un-check the option in your profile to publicly list it (which will remove your profile from the list).
After that, you can sign on to support courses. The list of courses will be at Special:Courses. (By default, this lists "Current" courses, but you can change the Status filter to "Planned" to see courses for this term that haven't reached their listed start date yet.)
As this is the first term we have used the extension, we know there will be some bugs, and we know the feature set is not as rich as it could be. (A big wave of improvements is already in the pipeline. And if you know MediaWiki and could help with code review, we'd love to have your help!) Please reach out to me (Sage Ross) with any complaints, bug reports, and feature suggestions. The basic features of the extension are documented at Wikipedia:Course pages, and you can see a tutorial for setting up and using them here.
- Communication and keeping up to date
In the past, the Education Program has had a pretty fragmented set of communication channels. We're trying to fix that. These are the recommended places to discuss and stay up-to-date on the education program:
- The education noticeboard has become the main on-wiki location for discussion of the Education Program. You can post there about broad education program issues as well as issues with individual courses.
- The Ambassadors Announce email list is a very low-traffic announcements list of important information all Ambassadors need to be aware of. We encourage all Ambassadors (and other interested Wikipedians) to subscribe to the list; follow the instructions on the link to add your email address.
- If you use IRC regularly, or need to try to reach someone immediately, the #wikipedia-en-ambassadors connect IRC channel is the place to find me and fellow Ambassadors.
- Ambassador training and resources
We now have an online training for Ambassadors, which is intended to be both an orientation about the Wikipedia Ambassador role for newcomers and the manual for how to do the role. (There are parallel trainings for students and for educators as well.)
Please go through the training if you feel like you need a refresher on how a typical class is supposed to go and where the Ambassadors fit in, or if you want to review and help improve it. If there's something you'd like to see added, or other suggestions you have for it, feel free to edit the training and/or leave feedback. A primer on setting up and using course pages is included in the educators' training.
The Resources page of the training is the main place for Ambassador-related resources. If there's something you think is important as a resource that's not on there, please add it.
Finally, whether or not you work with any classes this term, I encourage you to post entries to the Trophy Case whenever you see excellent work from students or if you have great examples from past semesters. And, as always, let students (and other editors!) know when they do things well; a little WikiLove goes a long way!