User talk:Giggy/Archive/December 2007
|This page is an archive. Do not edit the contents of this page. Please direct any additional comments to the current talk page.|
- 1 Favor
- 2 Happy Birthday
- 3 Brisbane - Call to arms
- 4 Imperial Napoleonic triple crown
- 5 Proposed WikiProject Australia triple crown
- 6 Project level triple crown
- 7 Triple crown Aussie's
- 8 Kim Beazley
- 9 RfA comment
- 10 WikiProject Alternative music November 2007 Newsletter
- 11 Nobody Sees - GA?
- 12 Re: Anand GA on hold notes
- 13 Re. your comment on Daniel's talk page
- 14 Internationalist (album) and the quest for GA
- 15 Kyoto Protocol
- 16 Triple crown
- 17 Pete Best
- 18 Email
- 19 Congrats
- 20 Loveless
- 21 User page
- 22 Brisbane
- 23 DevilDriver
- 24 Adpoting request
- 25 Giggay!
- 26 1st "mission"
- 27 Your GA nomination of Internationalist (album)
- 28 Godsmack
- 29 DYK
- 30 You Tube Links
- 31 Jimbo
- 32 Great username
- 33 Jim and Mary McCartney
- 34 Your GA nomination of Young Modern
- 35 TISM
- 36 GACs
- 37 GAC Reviewer of the Week
- 38 Hellyeah
- 39 Cliff Burton
- 40 FAC Candidates?
- 41 WikiProject Australia newsletter
- 42 Adminship...?
- 43 RfA Thanks
- 44 Flag of Singapore
- 45 ==Gavin Goldstein==
- 46 Arg!
- 47 Great success!
- 48 Really, really bad haikus from a new admin
- 49 The Corrs
- 50 GA fail
- 51 Alice in Chains
- 52 External Links on Call of Duty 2 Page
- 53 Your work
- 54 Advice?
- 55 "Flag of Singapore" GA review
- 56 "Leilani"
- 57 Request for GAC Review
- 58 What's up
- 59 Thanks for the award
- 60 GAC Reviewer of the Week
- 61 Arbcom vote - Giano
- 62 Merry Christmas
- 63 Your GA review of La Bolduc
- 64 Message
- 65 David Lovering GA review
- 66 GA
- 67 RfA
- 68 EVula
- 69 Re:Witherspoon
- 70 Re: Aargh!
- 71 Very minor, small, tiny barnstar
- 72 GAreview of Flag of Singapore
- 73 Thanks
- 74 Linkin Park GAC
- 75 The Hoodoo Gurus
- 76 Brisbane
- 77 RE: Per IRC...
- 78 Wikipedia:Editor review/Dihydrogen Monoxide 2
- 79 IB
- 80 Support
- 81 Christian metal GA Nomination
- 82 RE:RFA?
- 83 Re: Welcome
- 84 Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Camaron1
- 85 Shelly Manne (GA Nomination)
- 86 FA
- 87 Sputnikmusic review link removal
- 88 Chinese Democracy
- 89 The Grasshopper Lies Heavy
- 90 Westlife GA nomination
- 91 Confused
- 92 DYK
- 93 GAN Reviewer of the Week
- 94 Portal:Music of Australia
- 95 100 ...
- 96 Axl Rose GA nom
- 97 Parables for Wooden Ears
- 98 Notice of request for deletion of editor Giggy/Archive :)
- 99 You are needed!
- 100 DYK
- 101 Future admin
- 102 Why?
- 103 message
- 104 RfA thanks
- 105 Say It Right GAC
- 106 Great triple crown race of 2008
- 107 GA quick fails
- 108 Alice in Chains and Chevelle
- 109 An Administrator is I!
- 110 Evermore
- 111 Signpost Archive?
- 112 Vulture Street
- 113 Below Utopia
- 114 Avondale Agricultural Research Station -- GA review
- 115 Thanks
- 116 You know what I mean
- 117 Your RFA
- 118 RfA thanks
- 119 Dude, not cool
- 120 Marking pages as 'no references'
- 121 Re: Wikipedia:Featured topic candidates
- 122 Recall
- 123 How to Grow a Woman from the Ground
- 124 Thanks
- 125 Barnstar! Hooray!
- 126 Odyssey Number Five
- 127 chasers war
- 128 DYK nom
- 129 Orphaned non-free media (Image:Powderfinger-LikeADog-13sec.ogg)
- 130 Flea
- 131 Wikimania and Admin Nom
I hate to be a pain in the neck, but could you, feel free to say no by all means, review Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt? If you do, I would be eternally grateful. NSR77 TC 21:57, 30 November 2007 (UTC)
- Hahha. GA critique would be awesome. The nominations process has been forced to such a slow speed that I'm forced to ask around just for a review! I think you need to start reviewing some articles over at GAC. NSR77 TC 00:01, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- I would love to review one. :) NSR77 TC 00:07, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- Alright, think I got everything. Ref 20 is fine for me, you just have to scroll down manually to 'A little message from John to the fans'. On the "Context" section: Most of it is there so the reader can be familiar with Frusciante's feelings and his strained relationship with Kiedis. Thanks again. NSR77 TC 00:46, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- I would love to review one. :) NSR77 TC 00:07, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
|Just a happy Birthday message to you, Giggy, from the Wikipedia Birthday Committee! Have a great day!|
- FROM YOUR FRIEND:
- Cool, birthday in first day of December... Happy birthday! ♠TomasBat 00:21, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- Happy Birthday! December babies are just awesome! Mine's tomorow. I (talk) 04:15, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- Happy birthday! Hope you have a great party. :D PeaceNT 08:39, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks again guys! I'm gonna party like it's 1999! :) Dihydrogen Monoxide ♫ 23:58, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
Brisbane - Call to arms
Imperial Napoleonic triple crown
Your Imperial Napoleonic Majesty, are there other Australians who would be interested in going for a WikiProject Australia special edition award? I'd love to photoshop a crown onto a koala. :) DurovaCharge! 17:12, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
Proposed WikiProject Australia triple crown
Project level triple crown
Triple crown Aussie's
DM, you might want to look at Hesperian (talk · contribs), Moondyne (talk · contribs), Casliber (talk · contribs) between these three theres about 20 FA, 100 DYKs, not sure on GA's. Gnangarra 07:16, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
Kim Beazley was listed twice in Template:Leaders of the Australian Labor Party because he was leader twice. If you look at the history, I removed it myself but re-instated it because John Howard was listed twice in the Template:Leaders of the Liberal Party of Australia box. I'm not particularly fussed either way, but for consistency maybe remove Howard from the Liberal template as well. --Canley 08:33, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
WikiProject Alternative music November 2007 Newsletter
Alternative music WikiProject Newsletter
Issue 8 - November 2007
You are receiving this newsletter because you have signed up for WikiProject Alternative music. If you wish to stop receiving this newsletter, or would like to receive it in a different form, add your name to the appropriate section here. This newsletter was delivered by the automated (talk) 00:37, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
Nobody Sees - GA?
Just wondering. It needs some work and some more referencing, but what do you think? Do we dare take the plunge? I've just added the track listing, the cover, it already had its personnel, I've done some info on the Music video, though it needs some more looking over. Thoughts? --lincalinca 04:16, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
- Well, I don't mean today, LOL. I meant in a couple of weeks, but I'm suggesting we put the effort in to make it the next GA by being prepared and collecting absolutely any info on its release as is possible and making sure its coverage is expansive. I know it's not ready yet, but should it be a focus for us? In fact, should we maybe work on "Lost and Running" to GA it too/instead? --lincalinca 04:55, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
Re: Anand GA on hold notes
Hi! I've added my comments after editing based on your suggestions and issues pointed out in your notes. You may please review the article once again and decide on its status. Best regards, Mspraveen 15:50, 3 December 2007 (UTC)
Re. your comment on Daniel's talk page
Internationalist (album) and the quest for GA
H2O, glad to help. Unfortunately my command of good, written English is not the greatest but it's always good to get another set of eyes. If it's still in the list late this weekend I'll have a good look through - Peripitus (Talk) 03:13, 4 December 2007 (UTC)
Thanks a lot for for reviewing Pete Best. I have gone through your suggestions, and have corrected the article, apart from one or two that I have comented on. --andreasegde 18:42, 4 December 2007 (UTC)
FYI, I've sent you an email. JoshuaZ 20:11, 4 December 2007 (UTC)
What happened to it? Acalamari 00:57, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- Well, I'm just glad you're not leaving. :) Acalamari 17:17, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks for the Barnstar! This must be my "extra-nice" day! :) Acalamari 00:02, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
I have checked and the image displays perfectly. The image could also be seen until the time you deleted it from the article (saying the image was broken). I merely restored the image to the page. I apologise if 'vandal' was the incorrect word to use, but I was relying on the fact that you deleted the image when, to all intents and purposes, it was still there to be seen. Figaro (talk) 02:40, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
Thankyou for the review of DevilDriver, i have taken care of the issues raised. I would also like to say it's nice to see another editor improving heaps of articles relating to their favorite band, keep it up :) M3tal H3ad (talk) 02:47, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
Hi Mr. Dihydrogen Monoxide!
This is Fung Lee, a newcomer of Wiki. Since I'm from Hong Kong, we are pretty in the same time zone. :-)
I've been surfing wiki every day since last 2 months, mainly looking for info of military, politics, gaming, novels, sports, biology article and... just every thing I want to know or revisit.
In this morning I was determined to sign up when I saw an article with foul language. To be honest I was really pissed off, because it is a very serious offence to the integrity of my beloved WIKI.
um... so, could you be my adopter? Whether it's okay or not, thanks anyway. :-)
Thanks for adpoting me, Dihydrogen Monoxide! haha.
So after reading through some articles on dealing with vandalism, I'd like to try it on the page about "femur". This article is originally polluted by disturbing foul language, but now it is corrected by someone (only IP is shown).
My 1st mission ended, though not in the way I expect :-)
On the other hand, I have gone through the articles you suggested me to read (just roughly, as some of them are pretty long), I think scanning for vandalism is much easier to start from. What do you think?
(BTW is it ok to call you H2O or water..?) fung lee 07:43, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
Your GA nomination of Internationalist (album)
The article Internationalist (album) you nominated as a good article has passed , see the talk page for eventual comments about the article. Well done! — Rudget speak.work 20:14, 6 December 2007 (UTC)
- I got all of it taken care of. You said Ref 3 needs a publisher but it already does. Skeeker [Talk] 01:31, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
I merged the sections. I don't really know what to do with the image, I added to the fair use rational. Does the page need copy editing, if so would you do it?
Skeeker [Talk] 21:56, 9 December 2007 (UTC)
- Do you think it would pass the FA review? If there is anything that needs to be done, I'll do it, I don't want it to fail. If it does fail FAC will it still be listed for GA.
Skeeker [Talk] 01:14, 10 December 2007 (UTC)
--Royalbroil 02:52, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
You Tube Links
Please do not reinsert links which were removed because of a doubtful status.
If you wish to reinsert the link - please provide a rationale as to why the link is acceptable. In the instance concerned you need to postively show/confirm that the You Tube uploader is the artist/label/agent or production entity for the footage concerned.
Linking to material with doubtful status reflects badly on the project, as well as potentialy creating legal risks ( Some websites have been shut down merely for linking to materil whose provenance was doubtful.) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Sfan00 IMG (talk • contribs) 13:21, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
- And in relation to what I said earlier - You need to show a link between dewprocessaustralia
As a chemist, I can say: Great user name. As you all ready know, DHMO must be handled with care! It has been found in every form of cancer cell ever studied. I work with the pure grade of it everyday in my lab. I am sure that you have seen this before, but if not: www.dhmo.org. Keep Rockin' —MJCdetroit (talk) 14:55, 7 December 2007 (UTC)
Your GA nomination of Young Modern
I was going through the list of suggestions on the TISM article you left and had a few questions/comments. I didn't know if I should leave them in a bunch at the end of your comments or sliced into your comments, so I just left them in the list where I was working off them over here: User:Gohst/Todo. -Gohst (talk) 00:14, 9 December 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the taking the time to review Trent Reznor and Ian Svenonius at GAC. Both reviews were very detailed and overall very thorough, so I appreciate it. For the Ian Svenonius article, I believe I've either addressed all of your concerns or responded to them on the article's talk page, so if you could take another look that would be awesome. As for the Trent Reznor page, I've still got a few things to fix on that one, mainly the lead. I'll let you know as soon as it's taken care of. Thanks again! Drewcifer (talk) 06:41, 9 December 2007 (UTC)
- So I finally had a chance to put in some work on the Trent Reznor article, so if you could take a look that would be awesome. Just for the record, I took care of pretty much all of your suggestions, expanded the lead, and also added an Influence section which I adapted from the main NIN article. Also, thanks very much for your support of the Ian Svenonius FAC. It's much appreciated. Drewcifer (talk) 02:32, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
GAC Reviewer of the Week
|The Good Article Medal of Merit|
|Congratulations, I have chosen you as my GAC Reviewer of the Week for the week ending 8/12/2007. Epbr123 (talk) 14:43, 9 December 2007 (UTC)|
Hmm. I know nothing about music or anything related to it, hence why I reviewed it. I'm always trying to get a better view of what music actaully is and how it influences the world and society we see today. However, it's because of this lack of knowledge that I'm afraid I think I should advise you to ask someone else who would know. And since I've only started GAN reviews in the last two weeks, I still don't have a comprehensive understanding of what articles will become featured article candidates. Although, I would love to help you, I think it would inappropriate of me to give advice that I wouldn't be fully confident about giving. I hope you appreciate this and understand that I'm not trying to "get out of it" or to "pass the parcel". Although, I must say, I fully believe that these articles will become FAs and I have every faith that you and other dedicated contributors like you, will get those articles upto the best possible standard. All the best, — Rudget speak.work 16:37, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
- When you put it like that, yeah, of course I will. Give me a couple of hours though. :) Best, — Rudget Contributions 13:26, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
- Hmm...well out of the two, I'd probably think that Internationalist (album) would be the article closest to at least FAC standard. The prose is excellent, and of course much higher than expected of at GA, where is expected to be "correct". Therefore, the article mentioned satisfies Criterion 1a. I should probably think that Criterion 1b, is well covered too. The only thing that seems to stand out at the moment is, the credits section which I'd rename to Personnel, inline with other current FA song articles, like Hey Baby (No Doubt song). I should also think that, maybe, a song sample be included? Like the one provided in the "Hey Baby" (linked before). That would obviously help those who may have difficulty understanding or reading the article, but may still want to "feel" what the song would be like. Criterion 1c, is also well covered. All the references are complemented perfectly with a correct use of inline citations where the accessdates, publishing entity, and the title with a link is provided. The only thing I can visibly see is does the article need more? I understand there may not be anymore to reference, but was there anything outstanding (as in different) about this album, that set it apart from other songs by that artist or maybe of the same genre. But if not then, I wouldn't worry too much. I also see the approximate amount of references in each current FA articles (relating to music) is about 38, even if Real Love (The Beatles song) has only 14 :). The current is 24. 1d and 1e, I should think, are quite easy to comply with and I'd say that representing the article without utilising POV or making it stable, has already been achieved. I'd make a suggestion about whether trying to encourage more editors to contribute, but since I have only about 10 edits at FAC's (even less at music ones), I'm not sure whether that would help or not. Apart from those really quite minor suggestions, I'd probably nominate the article at FAC and see what other ideas you might get. But in my opinion, it's already achieved. Well done. — Rudget Contributions 20:18, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah, I will give it a go. Nothing ventured etc... Please let me know what is required from me in terms of questions etc. Off topic, I do think that Metropolitan Golf Club is notable but without an article at present I don't have a problem with the red-link removal. I actually think there is a gross shortage of Australian golf course articles especially compared to cricket and football grounds. I guess we have very few golfers in WP:AUS. Cheers, Mattinbgn\talk 03:20, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Flag of Singapore
The Union Flag is the same as the Union Jack. I can attest that the article is very comprehensive, but I cannot grade it due to my involvement in the article. User:Zscout370 (Return Fire) 03:20, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
If you've got time can you take a look please? Keeps flicking my CSD tags (db-bio). I cant find any sources for him or his supposed books? And the picture on his article is a cut out for goodness sakes! Sting_au Talk 05:48, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
- You will find it on his talk page though. I think the page (or versions of) have been deleted and then recreated? I seem to remember him flicking someone elses tag but couldn't find any reference to that one either? Sting_au Talk 05:57, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
This is what you get
when you mess with us when you edit conflict me, haha. Just kidding though, I'm not actually angry. Cheers and have a great wikiday(and thanks for signing my signature box!), Master of Puppets Care to share? 07:17, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Really, really bad haikus from a new admin
Setting new lows in thank-you spam:
- Well, if you have a poke at its talk page and have a read, you'll know why I care so much! RaNdOm26 (talk) 06:30, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
Hey there - a few days ago you failed a GA nomination of mine, Steve Lukather. I just wanted to let you know I asked a general question about your fail here. I sincerely hope it doesn't come across as my "questioning" your decision - I am just trying to better understand the process and such. If you have any additional input I would appreciate it. --Bloodzombie (talk) 22:21, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Alice in Chains
- Is there anything needed for FA?
Skeeker [Talk] 01:28, 14 December 2007 (UTC)
External Links on Call of Duty 2 Page
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Call_of_Duty_2&action=history Dihydrogen Monoxide why you keep removing the link I provided stating that it does not follow the guidelines. If you look here and and I quote, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:External_links "Wikipedia articles should include links to Web pages outside Wikipedia if they are relevant". IWNation - Infinity Ward Community Forums does follow guidelines and is relevant. Infinity Ward Staff employees are moderators on the site and their Community Relations Manager is one of the Administrators of the site.
The site is located here: *IWNation Infinity Ward Community Forums
I'll review Internationalist further tomorrow, but in the meantime I feel I should give you this:
|The Tireless Contributor Barnstar|
|For your extensive work on Powderfinger-related articles, and for tackling the backlog at Wikipedia:Good article nominations with prudence, efficiency, and enthusiasm, I'm pleased to award you this barnstar. WesleyDodds (talk) 11:10, 14 December 2007 (UTC)|
"Flag of Singapore" GA review
Thanks very much for taking the time to review "Flag of Singapore". Based on your suggestions, I've made some revisions. I've also responded to your comments on the article's talk page. — Cheers, JackLee –talk– 02:45, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for your supportive comments on "Leilani", I've been sans computer & Internet for nearly a week so I missed the deadline for noms. I believe User:Dan arndt should be co-credited for any recognition of the article: Dan's assistance has been invaluable. See "Tojo" and "My Girl" for examples of his work.Shaidar cuebiyar (talk) 04:57, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
Request for GAC Review
Hi, if I may ask you a favor, could you review this article for me? I've submitted it to GAC, but the backlog is huge currently, forgive the impatience. It would be great if you are not busy, but if you are, anything from an unofficial review to a brief evaluation would be nice, any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance. :) PeaceNT (talk) 18:17, 15 December 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the award
GAC Reviewer of the Week
|The Good Article Medal of Merit|
|Congratulations, I have chosen you as my GAC Reviewer of the Week for the week ending 15th December 2007. Epbr123 (talk) 12:26, 16 December 2007 (UTC)|
Arbcom vote - Giano
 This is to advise you that the opinion on which you identify you have, in part, based your vote has been withdrawn. You may wish to review your comments. Please note that this is not an attempt to get you to change your vote, simply an advisement that some of the information on which you based your decision has changed. Risker (talk) 18:43, 16 December 2007 (UTC)
Your GA review of La Bolduc
I've responded to most of your issues on your GA review of La Bolduc - there are still two or three remaining issues, but this last point:
Speaking of which, the list of recordings has stacks of line breaks that are not needed and should be removed— You
David Lovering GA review
I believe I've addressed all the comments you left in the GA review. Could you take another look at the article? Thanks for your (relatively) quick review of the article. CloudNine (talk) 10:01, 17 December 2007 (UTC)
- Indeed!, I've got work in 10 minutes and wont be back until 11pm, so i will review one of your articles tomorrow. M3tal H3ad (talk) 07:47, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
- Can I co-nom?? GlassCobra 00:07, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
- Can I support without nominating?
00:12, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
- You can count on my support, Alex. Go for it! Redrocketboy 00:33, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
- Can I support without nominating?
- It was cool you changed your support comment. I know you meant it in good faith, but unfortunately like with Haunted Angel, the issue is again whether or not Nazi can ever be used in conjunction with anything other than it's historical association. the_undertow talk 08:03, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
Very minor, small, tiny barnstar
|The Minor Barnstar|
|I award you the smallest, most insignificant barnstar possible
- Damnit! Why did you ask for one if we were even?! :P -- Anonymous DissidentTalk 08:58, 19 December 2007 (UTC)
GAreview of Flag of Singapore
Seeing you were specifically asked to review this article, thought I'd let you know all the same in case it is off your watchlist: I've volunteered my 2nd opinion on this, and I've been pretty clear on what needs to be done. I haven't really looked at what you've said in your review except the first last couple of lines or so - apologises if I've repeated anything, missed something or (even worse) contradicted something you've said . Still, as I said, it should be pretty straightforward for the editor(s) of the article.... Regards - Ncmvocalist (talk) 09:41, 19 December 2007 (UTC)
I will get around to the obligatory thank spam soon, but I want to thank you personally for your very generous nomination. I hope I can live up to it. All these extra buttons, I better read the documentation before I hit something I shouldn't and delete the home page! Thanks again, Mattinbgn\talk 11:36, 19 December 2007 (UTC)
Linkin Park GAC
I tended to your suggestions on the LP talk page. Thanks for the suggestions and time. :) --04:31, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
- Killswitch Engage has been fixed. Also whenever you get the opportunity could you please give a review of your favorite heavy metal band. If you're busy then that's fine as the article is huuugee, thanks again! M3tal H3ad (talk) 05:54, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
Mattinbgn suggested that you may be able to provide some suggestions on how to raise the status of the article on The Hoodoo Gurus given your experience in these things. I'd really like to know how you get to put music samples in the articles as well. Dan arndt (talk) 09:08, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
- If you get Brisbane featured I'll nominate you at RfA myself. It's just the sort of 'serious' article that even the most sceptical WPs should be impressed by. Was thinking of a Featured Topic on Oz capital cities. Was gonna bags Sydney but am a bit busy...cheers, Casliber (talk · contribs) 10:48, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
RE: Per IRC...
Wikipedia:Editor review/Dihydrogen Monoxide 2
Christian metal GA Nomination
Hey DHMO, I am very appreciative of the offer, and I am truly astounded that I have shown myself to be useful to people who opposed my last RFA, in such a short period of time. I am very sorry for any bad feelings I may have given in your RFA about 5 months ago?, and I was too quick to come to assumptions, based on the unfortunate truth that was inexperience. This offer also comes at a time when I've received three other co-nominations in the past two weeks. First, OhanaUnited (who I suggested do a co-nom), then Rlevse very kindly offered to give me some administrator coaching, which in a quick sucession, Phoenix-wiki and Ioeth both offered to co-nom. I shall now include your offer and these, and hopefully come back with an solution to these. Thank you anyway. Regards, Rt. 13:40, 22 December 2007 (UTC)
- Ah yes. I'll review it later today. Best regards, Rt. 12:19, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm hoping to contribute what I can to the aviation pages, especially Australian aviation pages.
Looking at the links... but my head is starting to hurt with all that information going in there, best leave it for later!
Have a great Christmas and thanks again!
Hello, if you remember quite a long time ago you offered to nominate me for adminship. Now as we are about to enter 2008, and thanks to a lot of admin coaching by The Rambling Man, I now feel ready to go. I have put together a RFA with the questions answered and optional statement given. First, after looking through my contributions, are you still willing to nominate me for adminship? If so, feel free to add your nomination comments to the page. Note that Pedro (talk · contribs) has offered to co-nom me. Once the nominations are complete I will formally accept the nomination and when we are ready, transclusion can occur. Camaron1 | Chris (talk) 18:59, 22 December 2007 (UTC)
However, as he uses Internet Explorer, I doubt it'll be a good one :P - ROFL! After remembering your nomination for Pedro I suspected you might find a joke somewhere about me. Anyway thanks for been willing to nominate me. Camaron1 | Chris (talk) 10:06, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
Shelly Manne (GA Nomination)
Thanks for taking the time to go through the Shelly Manne article in such detail. Yes, I know my prose tends to get too florid, as I am reminded by your comments, and I will have to trim things down. Most of the citations that are needed I should be able to come up with. I should be able to get to all this in the next few days. But I have a few questions/comments now:
- I have looked for free images, but none are to be had that I could find. I know the one I did use is kind of in a gray area but maybe it can still be justified in some way.
- "needs source for her loving it" This Shelly is a man (no pun intended), but in any case I should be able to find the source or sources that led me to that conclusion.
- '"and tutored star Frank Sinatra" - Remove "star" - his article is evidence of that' I meant here only that Sinatra was the star of that movie. Of course his article provides ample evidence that he was a star in general.
- "Don't wlink years" Before I remove all those Wikilinked years, I thought that this was one permissible style. At one time I even thought it was preferred, which I why I have done it. My guidance has been from: Wikipedia:Only_make_links_that_are_relevant_to_the_context#Dates
- To respond to your responses (and I appreciate your answering so quickly), well, Wikipedia:Only_make_links_that_are_relevant_to_the_context#Dates does say, "Stand alone years do not need to be linked but some users prefer it...." On the other hand, it also says, "Wikipedia has articles on...years.... As a general rule of thumb, link to one of these pages only if it is likely to deepen readers' understanding of a topic." Now that I am thinking about this, I see your point, and I suppose in most cases there is not much justification for Wikilinking the year. So, unless there seems to be a good reason in a specific case, I will remove those links after all. OK, I had better get to work. You have given me plenty to do! --Alan W (talk) 03:47, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- All right, I think I've addressed all your points, and then some (occasionally my changes might not conform exactly to your suggestions; please let me know if you still have any issues in those cases). If you have questions or further comments, you know where to leave a note. --Alan W (talk) 02:31, 25 December 2007 (UTC)
Hi! I began removing the links to Sputnikmusic reviews from infoboxes following the discussion at Wikipedia:Deletion review/Log/2007 December 10. Consensus from an AfD and a DRV was that Sputnikmusic is a non-notable website, and I have taken it from that that it therefore does not meet the reliable sources standard for professional reviews in album infoboxes. --Stormie (talk) 02:57, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- Oh, also, even before Sputnikmusic was deleted, it was agreed that only its staff reviews could be used as professional reviews, not reviews by random contributors to the site (see e.g. Wikipedia:WikiProject Albums#Non-professional reviews), and both of the reviews you restored (on Double Allergic and These Days: Live in Concert) fall into that non-staff category. --Stormie (talk) 03:03, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- OK I'm happy to just delink the redlinks and check the reviews for staff/non-staff status, only removing the non-staff ones. --Stormie (talk) 03:05, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for reviewing it... Other than stability, everything else is fine with it, right? I've done most of what you said on the talk page. And is it up to an A-Class now? Thanks again, happy Christmas. Funeral 03:34, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
The Grasshopper Lies Heavy
hi there. you removed the speedy template, stating that they are "notable." as you well know, it's a legit speedy as long as the article doesn't convey the importance. but i'll let it be. i've seen you around the afd's and you know what you are doing. and i know very little about these bands. besides, a google search spit up a lot of ghits on them. best, --brewcrewer (yada, yada) 03:42, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reply. Personally, I don't see how "signed by a record company is an indication of notability. I also don't think that it's reasonable to apologize to an editor for placing a speedy tag on a article that he/she created. Unless it was a mistake or something. It would be disengenuos on my part to apologize for something that I am not sorry about. Just because someone disagees with my placing the speedy tag, doesn't mean that I was wrong (especially a non-admin removal). If I were to apply Wikipedia:Editors matter to speedy situations, I would apologize initially when placing the tag. all the best, --brewcrewer (yada, yada) 04:37, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
Westlife GA nomination
Thanks for your input on the nomination. I've fixed 90% of what you've described as problem and will continue to fixing it over the next couple of days.
Per previous GA review, Chart records do not need sourcing (see Maroon 5 as an example of not citing chart records as GA). However, a citation to the BPI database was added for verification purposes to the article. --Cahk (talk) 04:52, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
I've taken both you and User:M3tal H3ad's comments about the GA nomination which resulted in extensive rewrite of the article. I welcome your feedback or suggestions.--Cahk (talk) 08:26, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- Lol, oh okay. I just tried to /msg you, but you seem to be offline. I'm on freenode btw. Jmlk17 06:17, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- "Dude, which one are you?" - Classic mate, classic. --DarkFalls talk 09:44, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- OMGZ, is this some Aussie thing? I'm online. Where's the love? the_undertow talk 09:48, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- "Dude, which one are you?" - Classic mate, classic. --DarkFalls talk 09:44, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- I reject that reality and substitute my own. Shazaam! — Dihydrogen Monoxide (Review) 23:01, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
Yeah, it is a little freaky at first. I've been sort of learning a bit at a time. About the only thing I don't know how to do now is the bit that requires admin tools, otherwise I could do the whole update myself :) Gatoclass (talk) 08:51, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
- Heck no, anyone can edit the next update. I was initially very reluctant to do it myself and started out by adding just one entry here and there because I thought others would want to have a say in selections. But Royalbroil basically said to me that DYK "needs all the help it can get" and that I was welcome to do as much as I liked. That pretty much ended my inhibitions about participating, and I will do a full update myself now.
- About 99% of valid submitted entries seem to get promoted anyhow, so it's not as though you are selecting between those which get promoted and those which don't. I participate for two main reasons, (a) because I find it a creative challenge to select a varied bunch of hooks that I think make for an interesting update, and (b) because the updates often aren't done until the last minute when a few are hurriedly thrown together to get the update out. And when that happens it means the updates aren't as good a selection as they otherwise might be - and sometimes they don't fit the front page very well either. So if someone has the time and energy to put an update together carefully, that's usually a good thing. Gatoclass (talk) 02:56, 24 December 2007 (UTC)
GAN Reviewer of the Week
|The Good Article Medal of Merit|
|Congratulations, I have chosen you as my GAN Reviewer of the Week for the week ending 22nd December 2007. Epbr123 (talk) 14:32, 23 December 2007 (UTC)|
- Congratulations, well-deserved medal. :) Thanks also for reviewing Reese Witherspoon earlier this week. Would you mind having another look? I've taken care of all the refs, so I'm wondering if the page is good enough now. Some websites unfortunately don't have the names of the authors available, would it hurt the chance? For the record, I'm talking about FA. ;) PeaceNT (talk) 17:28, 23 December 2007 (UTC)
It looks much better this time. You fixed the problems that Searchme mentioned in last nomination. I also like how you have "Australian charts" in lieu of the news box, which is very creative.
I am proposing some changes to the featured portal nomination process at Wikipedia talk:Featured portal candidates#Revamp proposal. Feel free to express your views. OhanaUnitedTalk page 07:15, 24 December 2007 (UTC)
Axl Rose GA nom
Hi there--thanks for all your comments and suggestions on the Axl Rose GA nomination. Everything's been fixed, and I think we're finally ready to go. :)
The one point that was unable to be addressed is noted on the Talk Page, but I'll also mention it here, just in case: the facts of Rose and Seymour's breakup have never been publicly revealed. There are a lot of rumors about it floating around the Internet, but the only things that have ever been stated definitively are that they parted ways and then sued each other. So I didn't want you to think we'd ignored that at all, there's just nothing more we can say on it that would be at all verifiable by any reliable source.
- Saw your note--thank you!! I'm thrilled it passed. Best, DanielEng (talk) 09:38, 25 December 2007 (UTC)
Greetings & an early Happy New Year! Actually I only dug up the various Powderfinger album covers upon request about a year ago, no other connection with the group! Don't think that I've even heard them in the UK or US. Ciao for now - and surprisingly, I've only gotten minimal, shall we say, "negative" feedback, from using the admin mop (at least compared to what I see on other admin's pages :) SkierRMH (talk) 02:21, 25 December 2007 (UTC)
Notice of request for deletion of editor Giggy/Archive :)
Giggy/Archive, the editor you are, has been nominated for deletion. We appreciate your contributions. However, an editor does not feel that you satisfy Wikipedia's criteria for inclusion and has explained why in the nomination space. Your opinions on yourself are welcome; please participate in the discussion by adding your comments at User:GlassCobra/Editor for deletion#Giggy/Archive and please be sure to sign your comments with four tildes (~~~~). You are free to edit during the discussion but should not remove the nomination (unless you wish not to participate); such removal will not end the deletion discussion (actually it will). Thank you, and have a good sense of humor :). GlassCobra 11:04, 25 December 2007 (UTC)
You are needed!
- PS: Buster Smith should now be ready for you to glance at for the GA. Thanks mate! --lincalinca 12:39, 25 December 2007 (UTC)
My statistics were valid and I referenced a solid government document. If my contribution goes against your particular belief, too bad... it's fact and stated as such.
Clercfan (talk) 08:37, 26 December 2007 (UTC) Hello, would you please undo what your bot did on the Laurent Clerc article? The information I added is in the public domain due to being over 150 years old and it was a valid and worthwhile addition to the article. Wikipedia guidelines specifically state that autobiographical information is permissable in some situations, and I believe this is one of those situations. Readers of Wikipedia would be highly interested in this information. Thanks
- Clercfan (talk) 08:47, 26 December 2007 (UTC)If the subject heading is titled "Autobiographical Notes from the public domain", then everything in that section is a direct quote from a source. This is material about Clerc's life written by Clerc himself. It took my hours to type this out. Others will want to read it, and it is proper to add it. This is a special section with a special subject heading. The fact that it is not common in Wikipedia is not an argument to be used to deny its inclusion.
- Clercfan (talk) 08:52, 26 December 2007 (UTC) You're not stating the Wikipedia policies correctly. The Wikipedia policy specifically states that autobiographical information is appropriate and permitted in some cases. You're jumping the gun here. You need to do some research on what you are saying.
Read to the bottom of the article and it basically says that autobiographical information is permitted, but that it has to be done carefully. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Clercfan (talk • contribs) 09:16, 26 December 2007 (UTC)
- Your bot is still blocking my edit. Would you please allow the edit to go through? Let other users discuss it. Thanks. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Clercfan (talk • contribs) 10:14, 26 December 2007 (UTC)
Say It Right GAC
Great triple crown race of 2008
GA quick fails
- Apparently, you missed my point. My point is that the articles are on the borderline where a lazy, unskilled, or disinterested reviewer could fail them without rebuke as you did. I am not asking you to reconsider your reviews. I am asking that in the future you do not do the same disservice by writing such lazy unskilled or disinterested reviews. I don't have ground to say they should have been passed. I can only say that a highly skilled reviewer, which you are could have if interested given sufficient advice for them to have passed and for the benefit of the project that is what you should do. You did not and I am letting you know you were delinquent IMO. I am saying many a skilled reviewer could have given sufficient advice to either article to pass and you did not. You are not obligated to do so, but could have and did not. That is all I am saying. Basically, all I am saying is shame on you for your poor delinquent review. I have many things at GAC that you could quick fail or that you could take the time to direct to a GA with a constructive hold. I think the latter is better for the project.--TonyTheTiger (t/c/bio/WP:CHICAGO/WP:LOTD) 00:53, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
- Whoah, hold on, Tiger.. Dihydrogen Monoxide has reviewed two articles I worked on, and I found him to be intelligent, concise, friendly, and having absolutely no arrogance whatsoever. Have you seen the mountain of reviews he has done? I would ask him to review any article at all in the future (and I sincerely hope he does) so "shame on you" for being grumpy and insulting him just because he failed an article of yours. Some people can't see the wood for the trees, said the half-blind three-fingered lumberjack to his son.... :) --andreasegde (talk) 19:45, 29 December 2007 (UTC)
Hello, I've expanded and fixed up Alice in Chains, would you mind taking a look. Is it ready for FA, far from? And I bagan to work on Chevelle, I think it looks pretty good, but Copyediting is an issue I think, its hard to write about a band made of all brothers. Cheers, Merry Christmas.
Burningclean [Speak the truth!] 03:23, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
- I submitted Alice in Chains for Peer review, would you mind commenting on Wikipedia:Peer review/Alice in Chains.
Burningclean [Speak the truth!] 03:47, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
- Hello, would you mind commenting on Wikipedia:Featured article candidates/Alice in Chains again. I fixed anything that was needed from the previous nomination and expanded it vastly.
Burningclean [Speak the truth!] 23:18, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
- Hello, would you mind commenting on Wikipedia:Featured article candidates/Alice in Chains again. I fixed anything that was needed from the previous nomination and expanded it vastly.
An Administrator is I!
Adventurer! The Council has identified a number of strange occurrences (such as "vandals" and "articles for deletion") in the surrounding wilderness. The Council would check it out, but they have important Councily-type things. But never fear: brave adventurers known as "sysops" roam the lands!
Thank you for your support in my quest to become a sysop. Although I am now wielding the keys to my very own Bitchin' Meatcar, I promise to uphold the laws of the land, martini in hand, in a way that would make Saint Sneaky Pete proud. I will do my best to be a Jack of Several Trades (although I may be a Master of Nuns). I promise to Heart Canadia. And I will make it my goal to Make War, Not ... er, Wait, Never Mind.
I am glad to serve my guild, the League of Wikipedians. If I can be of any assistance, or you have any questions, suggestions, or criticisms in the future, please let me know. And if you are at a loss for what any of the above actually means, see this website.
An Encyclopedia is We! - Revolving Bugbear 22:08, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
I just want to stop by and say great work on the Evermore pages. Cheers. -- "Talk" 23:13, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
- Do0d, check it. Lara❤Love 01:43, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
- It needs work, I need a project...if you want me to help on Odyssey instead, I can, I just need something to do. Oh, good luck with your featured topic. Any way I can help? (Good luck to Riana, are you nominating?) Keilana(recall) 03:12, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
- I'll be happy to help on Odyssey. Just tell me where you need me, and I'll do whatever I can. Wait...are you going for it? You'll kick butt. I'm a firm believer in accountability, and I've been pissing people off lately so I think they should have the option. Thanks for the compliment, though. :) Keilana(recall) 03:21, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
Avondale Agricultural Research Station -- GA review
Done, Done & Done. A couple of the date links I changed from red to point at the article and a couple of other I delinked as the link doesnt contribute anything to the discussion. The EL are already used in refs mostly links to specific document/page the EL links listed are to the greater work. Let me know if theres any more. Gnangarra 08:38, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
Why thankyou sir, sorry i don't have any of your favorite bands at GAN at the moment. I bet you can't wait to review the next one eh, but until then a closet heavy metal fan you shall remain. I'll take another look at the article and happy new year when the time comes. M3tal H3ad (talk) 08:57, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
- Okay i can't find anything. You may want to ask User:LuciferMorgan to take a look, he always provides useful feedback. M3tal H3ad (talk) 09:08, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
You know what I mean
You can count on my abstention this time around. ;-) Hesperian 11:02, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
Dude, not cool
Marking pages as 'no references'
I'm from wiki.pt (so, I dont speak english very well, sorry). I see some pages without references or external links. how can I mark them to later review ? a predefinition or category. Rjclaudio (talk) 18:03, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
Re: Wikipedia:Featured topic candidates
Personally, I think you set the bar way to low. Don't make it so easy for 'em. Once you're an admin, you're going to have tobe an admin. That is going to sometimes mean holding your ground despite strong (if misguided) opposition or disagreement. That is sometimes going to mean making others very unhappy. Cheers, Dlohcierekim 19:22, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
How to Grow a Woman from the Ground
Hello! A few weeks ago, you reviewed the article on the Chris Thile album How to Grow a Woman from the Ground. You put the album on hold, stated what needed to be fixed, and the week passed without an effort. Recently, I fixed all of the errors and re-nominated the article for GA. Because of the fact that you were the original reviewer, I was wondering, would like to re-review it? Thanks for your time reading this! --Thamusemeantfan (talk) 03:45, 29 December 2007 (UTC)
|The Barnstar of High Culture|
|I give you this barnstar for your contribution to all things Australian music. WEBURIEDOURSECRETSINTHEGARDENwe need to talk.• 18:15, 29 December 2007 (UTC)|
Odyssey Number Five
Yeah, I would support, and help contribute to the reviewers comments. I'm a bit busy and may not be available to help the article at certain points of time. But at least it is a clean article now. And should be close to FA status.
I will nominate it later today (AEDT) unless you do.
I was thinking of a Chaser based WikiProject to help the poor status of the other Chaser articles especially the main one. But remains an idea for now. SpecialWindler talk (currently in control) 01:26, 30 December 2007 (UTC)
- OK, you may want to check out my recent comment on the Chasers WOE talk page.
- PS. Good luck with your adminship. SpecialWindler talk (currently in control) 01:33, 30 December 2007 (UTC)
--Wizardman 19:38, 30 December 2007 (UTC)
Orphaned non-free media (Image:Powderfinger-LikeADog-13sec.ogg)
Thanks for uploading Image:Powderfinger-LikeADog-13sec.ogg. The media description page currently specifies that it is non-free and may only be used on Wikipedia under a claim of fair use. However, it is currently orphaned, meaning that it is not used in any articles on Wikipedia. If the media was previously in an article, please go to the article and see why it was removed. You may add it back if you think that that will be useful. However, please note that media for which a replacement could be created are not acceptable for use on Wikipedia (see our policy for non-free media).
If you have uploaded other unlicensed media, please check whether they're used in any articles or not. You can find a list of 'image' pages you have edited by clicking on the "my contributions" link (it is located at the very top of any Wikipedia page when you are logged in), and then selecting "Image" from the dropdown box. Note that all non-free media not used in any articles will be deleted after seven days, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. Thank you. BJBot (talk) 20:49, 30 December 2007 (UTC)
Wikimania and Admin Nom
Thanks for your nice comments. I did add the Brisbane bid to those templates, but I removed it again so that we can get it cleaned up and "polished" by bid time. Frankly, Toronto's application is rather impressive and they're going to be hard to beat. I think we can make a decent showing though.
As for adminship, thanks for your promised support! =). I'll be happy to accept a nomination once I get a GA or two under my belt; although I don't suppose I'll ever reach your high bar, I want to be able to point to some solid contributions before I take the plunge. I think Nundah, Queensland is getting there, once I get my photos of the area off my camera and into the article, and I clean up some of the more listy stuff towards the end of the article, I think I'll be close. Any suggestions on other ways to improve it would be welcome, though! Lankiveil (talk) 05:40, 31 December 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah, definitely would be interested in a meetup. I recall that someone was canvassing for one at some point for one, but nothing ever came of it. I guess I can assume you're a Brisbane/Queensland Wikipedian then... I always had you down in my mind as a southerner (no offense intended!). Lankiveil (talk) 05:55, 31 December 2007 (UTC).