User talk:Happy-melon/Archive 13

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

File:WP1.0 Quality-Content grid.png missing description details

Dear uploader: The media file you uploaded as File:WP1.0 Quality-Content grid.png is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors to make better use of the image, and it will be more informative for readers.

If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.

If you have any questions please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 17:22, 19 May 2010 (UTC)

Belated thanks and star!

Barnstar-abc.png The Helping Hand Barnstar
for your great help and guidance during controversy Wikipelli Talk 02:40, 21 May 2010 (UTC)


This is terribly belated - and, the first barnstar I've given (so I'm not sure, do I put this on your talk page? user page? ah well, you can move it if you wish). A couple of months back you helped a great deal with getting me (a newbie then called 'lacbolg' through some weirdness. I've stuck around, changed my username, and having a ball. Thanks in large part to you.  :) Wikipelli Talk 02:40, 21 May 2010 (UTC)

I'm glad to hear it, and thanks for making it worthwhile! Happy editing! Happymelon 11:58, 21 May 2010 (UTC)

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Banner standardisation

Did this fizzle out? I've tweaked it a bit as someone had slapped a "failed" on there. FYI there is some discussion that mentions you at Template talk:WPMED#Requested move. You aren't required to comment but I thought it would be courteous to let you know. –xenotalk 13:14, 27 May 2010 (UTC)

Talkback

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Happy-melon. You have new messages at Tim Song's talk page.
Message added 00:54, 6 June 2010 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Tim Song (talk) 00:54, 6 June 2010 (UTC)

Doctor Steel

Just a heads-up: the page went off semi-protected status in April, and was vandalized today by I believe the same anonymous person who was doing it last year, with the same information that the subject wished to be kept off the page for legal reasons. I will keep you updated if it persists, and I made note of it in the Talk page there. --Jonnybgoode44 (talk) 20:22, 7 June 2010 (UTC)

Update: The vandalism is persistent, with apparent intent to "out" and do harm. I noticed you were away from WP until the 20th; I've contacted admin Taelus for help until your return. --Jonnybgoode44 (talk) 02:01, 8 June 2010 (UTC)

SecurePoll oddity

Hi,
I'm not sure who the election admins of the recent WP:CUOS2010 were, so I'm asking you: Does anyone have an explanation why Tiptoety got one less vote than the other CU candidates, according to the published result?
Amalthea 16:01, 10 June 2010 (UTC)

It's possible to not cast a vote for a particular candidate by submitting the form without any checkbox selected; there's an option in SecurePoll to not accept ballots where that's occured, but I doubt if it was enabled. No thoughts on why that might have occurred. Happymelon 17:49, 20 June 2010 (UTC)

Top Gear (2002 TV series)

Hi

Just a quick note in case it confuses you - I was reverting at the same time as you - my revert was beaten by yours, but I already (final) warned on the User talk page  -  Begoon (talk) 13:38, 14 June 2010 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Thank you. Plastikspork ―Œ(talk) 23:24, 21 June 2010 (UTC)

Checkuser

Hello Happy, I was looking into people with check user permissions and your name was in the list of users who have that right. The Korean cuisine article has been the subject of several edit wars over the past few years, but has been stable for a good amount of time. Recently an anonymous IP contrib placed a long-winded diatribe about the article being racist and demanded that several sections be deleted as such; almost immediately a long time contrib, User:Melonbarmonster2 f.k.a. User:Melonbarmonster, with a history of edit warring over articles with a Korean subject jumped in and began blowing through the article in the name of deleting all he thought was wrong.

This has raised suspicions for me about the timing of the contrib's actions because the diatribe the IP contrib posted used much of the same phrasing and grammatical patterns that the contrib has used in past postings and arguments concerning these subjects.

Is there any way you could do a check user on him and the IP contrib, User:86.171.23.89, aren't related or puppets of Melonbarmonster? If you can't, can you point me in the proper direction to where I could pass the request on?

Thanks, --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 18:06, 5 July 2010 (UTC)

Unless some Steward got bored one day and started playing around, I'm not a checkuser. You probably want WP:SPI Happymelon 18:50, 5 July 2010 (UTC)

Thanks. --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 19:40, 5 July 2010 (UTC)

RFC

I noticed that you participated in a previous RFC at Wikipedia talk:Notability (criminal acts)/Opinions. I was wondering if you might share your opinion here: RFC: Should Wikipedia:Notability (criminal acts) be merged with Wikipedia:Notability (events) and Wikipedia:Notability (people)? Thanks! Location (talk) 19:19, 5 July 2010 (UTC)

Template debugging [done]

Melon, a long time ago you kindly set up Template:WikiProject HOP. Somebody has today moved it (to Template:WikiProject History of photography), whereupon I notice (on its own page) that it has formatting errors and even manages to complain about how it shouldn't be visible. (I note that the problems predated the move; I can't blame the mover.) I could invest an hour in template debugging for dummies, but my appetite for WP drudgery has its limits and I've a hunch that you're used to this kind of thing and can fix it in a very short time. Care to take a look? -- Hoary (talk) 10:18, 12 July 2010 (UTC)

I have fixed this for you. — Martin (MSGJ · talk) 10:29, 12 July 2010 (UTC)
Ah, so you have. Thank you very much! -- Hoary (talk) 10:34, 12 July 2010 (UTC)

Tim Starling's comment

You may have seen his comment. It seems to me that if we're going to split the UI from the backend, then a function like the two we refactored, insertNewArticle() and updateArticle(), will need to be created to handle the watching/unwatching and redirecting; but in that case, why did they want to deprecate those two functions? I didn't intentionally try to regress from the earlier work that was done to achieve that separation; I just didn't know that they even had such an agenda, or that $watchthis had been purposefully taken out of the hook. Tisane talk/stalk 14:18, 16 July 2010 (UTC)

File:TracklistBoxFlow.jpg missing description details

Dear uploader: The media file you uploaded as File:TracklistBoxFlow.jpg is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors to make better use of the image, and it will be more informative for readers.

If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.

If you have any questions please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 14:33, 21 July 2010 (UTC)

File-class articles

Hi happy-melon, we don't see so much of you these days. Hopefully you enjoying the fine summer weather. Just wanted to draw your attention to Wikipedia:Rename of Image-class to File-class. I noticed some comment from you ages ago that you had developed a script that would delete/create these categories. Would you be able to run it? Or perhaps make the code available to me? Regards — Martin (MSGJ · talk) 11:29, 23 July 2010 (UTC)

Here's the script; no idea if it still works with the latest version of the pywiki framework; or even exactly what it does. I'm afraid Real Life has very much taken over my real life for now, and probably will continue to do so for some time. But I try to drop in and check the answerphone on occasion... :D Happymelon 23:01, 23 July 2010 (UTC)
Thanks. That one's for C-class articles - I suppose I'll have to work out how to adapt it for File-class? Hmm, that could be interesting ... — Martin (MSGJ · talk) 21:55, 24 July 2010 (UTC)

Please can you make a project banner

Hi Happy Melon

Please can you help out at Wikipedia:WikiProject_Peerage_and_Baronetage, where we need a project banner template (see discussion here ... but I'm not sure how to do it, and know that you are a genius with the template (whose name I forget) used to build such things. No need for anything fancy: it just needs to tag an article's talk page as being within the project scope, and categorise it by namespace, but no need for any assessment.

Please can you make a simple one for us? --BrownHairedGirl (talk) • (contribs) 19:03, 24 July 2010 (UTC)

The template is Template:WPBannerMeta and the instructions are pretty good. Please have a go and if you don't manage you could ask at the template's talk page where I or someone else will be happy to help. According to his reply above, Happy melon is busy at the moment. — Martin (MSGJ · talk) 21:52, 24 July 2010 (UTC)

Featured templates?!

Care to give this a once-over? Note there are some comments in the source, too, and feel free to point anyone else you care to towards it. =) ダイノガイ千?!? · Talk⇒Dinoguy1000 04:12, 30 August 2010 (UTC)

Response at ACE2010 General Questions

I only just noticed your entry on my watchlist. Please see here. Tony (talk) 08:00, 31 August 2010 (UTC)

Looks good to me! Happymelon 18:59, 31 August 2010 (UTC)

Evanna Lynch

Five months ago I began working on Evanna Lynch and last week it was listed as a good article. I've recently requested a peer review recently to find out what needs fixing before it is ready for WP:FAC. And so, I was wondering if you have tips for checking things that I should look for, in order to prepare it for WP:FAC? Thanks! Alex Douglas (talk) 14:56, 9 August 2010 (UTC)500000

Adopt ME PLEASE!!

Hi my name is natalia and i am in a school proyect. it would be awesome if you adopt me.Natquintana (talk) 02:53, 14 September 2010 (UTC)

Adopt-a-user reminder

Hello, I have completed a general cleanup of the adopter information page for the adopt-a-user project, located here. During my cleanup, I have removed several inactive and retired users. In order to provide interested adoptees with an easy location to find adopters, it is essential that the page be up-to-date with the latest information possible. Thus:

  • If you are no longer interested in being an adopter, please remove yourself from the list.
  • If you are still interested, please check the list to see if any information needs to be updated or added - especially your availability. Thank you.
  • You are receiving this message because you are listed as an adopter here.

Delivered by MessageDeliveryBot on behalf of Netalarm (talk) at 03:37, 23 September 2010 (UTC).

Poke

User talk:Black Falcon#Hi : )

In the hopes that maybe you can figure it out : )

Would the universe melt down (smile) if we changed it to a dozen or better, a score? - jc37 04:23, 1 October 2010 (UTC)

Zero one infinity applies. If you add extra code to the hook template, then every page using every banner using that template has to load the code, whether they use the 11th/12th/25th taskforce or not. On the other hand, if you don't have enough slots in the hook, you need to include the hook template again, as you've seen (take a look at {{WikiProject Australia}} or {{WikiProject Africa}} for examples of banners with huge numbers of taskforces. Ten is an arbitrary number which is probably about 'average' for the number of taskforces in a banner. Happymelon 21:09, 6 October 2010 (UTC)

Socks?

  1. RomDolce (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · edit filter log · block user · block log) last edit was 08:57, 2 September 2010
  2. Kumpayada (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · edit filter log · block user · block log) first edit was 13:51, 22 August 2010
  3. Kumpayada ! (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · edit filter log · block user · block log) (not a registered username)
  4. Kumpayada My User (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · edit filter log · block user · block log) (not a registered username)
  5. Society01 (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · edit filter log · block user · block log) (not a registered username)

Hello Melons! I have a question to ask of you, when it comes to a potentially problematic user creating more than 1 account, what is your view like? Now, as I understand it from looking into the contribution history of the two main active accounts (1.RomDolce & 2.Kumpayada), the User:RomDolce claimed to have forgotten his password and so he created a new account (Kumpayada) but somehow later in his statement, he claimed (on the page of an unregistered account name User:Kumpayada !) to be able to login again as RomDolce. Thoughts? Best. --Dave ♠♣♥♦™№1185©♪♫® 05:26, 1 October 2010 (UTC)

SPI is not my strong point, I'm afraid, so I wouldn't be able to tell you with any confidence. Happymelon 21:10, 6 October 2010 (UTC)

ACE2010 coordination page

Hi, I've created it, incompetently, of course. It will need the attention of someone who knows what they're talking about in terms of page creation.

I'm going to use last year's election page as it was just before the start of voting as the basis of a draft for the ACE2010 page. If we're to start the call for nominations in early November, and the voting in the second half of November, we still have more than three weeks to prepare.

I think there should be call for volunteers at the Village Pump. Is that the right place?

I'll ping you via email too, since you haven't been around for a few days.

Cheers Tony (talk) 13:51, 5 October 2010 (UTC)

Spooks return

I reverted you the other day for removing the statement regarding the return of Spooks, but am having second thoughts. Do you think this might be another fake, like the fake Christmas 2009 image that was allegedly from Doctor Who? There were a few references to Spooks returning just after the final episode, but they seem to have evaporated. It's got me wondering, anyway. Drmargi (talk) 16:02, 12 November 2010 (UTC)

(butting in) Ian Wylie, Guardian journalist, seems to think that it's on the return. ╟─TreasuryTagestoppel─╢ 16:36, 12 November 2010 (UTC)
I'm as skeptical as ever. If 6.5million people really had seen a teaser after the end of the last episode (and it's not exactly as if they have to sit through a mile of credits to get to it!), there would be rather more to show for it online. Why would one journalist's tweet about news on the grapevine be the premiere souce of information if the BBC really had broadcast their intention to the entire world? It doesn't wash for me. Happymelon 17:17, 12 November 2010 (UTC)
That's what's bothering me. Granted, the ratings are there for another season, sorry, series, but given the Beeb's budgetary issues, and the potential reduced role, if not total loss of Richard Armitage, will they renew? Treasury, I looked at what you cite, and I've heard similar for some while even here in the US. All the same, I wonder if a touch of caution might be in order after all. I'm scratching my head in writing more than anything. Drmargi (talk) 15:33, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
Personally I think they will: its ratings are rock solid, it's not particularly expensive to produce, and it's really held together by Peter Firth, who's pledged to stick it out to the end. But whether or not the BBC is likely or unlikely to recommission is not really our concern; the article should, in the absence of reliable information one way or the other, note the lack of such information. I'd be much happier with a section which read "BBC has not confirmed, rumours are flying from X, Y and Z" han one which tried to take a punt in either direction. Happymelon 16:08, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
No question, Peter Firth is the glue that holds that show together. I was more referring to the ratings draw Armitage is becoming. And I agree, it seems very likely they're going to renew, at least from where I sit. As for the statement in the article, perhaps it's best to go back to the quote from the Daily Mail that was there before the finale, and leave it at that. Drmargi (talk) 20:37, 13 November 2010 (UTC)
Sounds like a plan... Happymelon 22:29, 13 November 2010 (UTC)

Burger King

Hello, as one of the few admins I know, could you please reset the Semi-perm protection on the Burger King article? It was turned off during the approved changes trial and never turned back on. There has been an increase in IP vandalism on the article in the past few months and is beginning to get annoying. --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 03:48, 13 November 2010 (UTC)

Nomination of Parodies of Harry Potter for deletion

Ambox warning orange.svg

A discussion has begun about whether the article Parodies of Harry Potter, which you created or to which you contributed, should be deleted. While contributions are welcome, an article may be deleted if it is inconsistent with Wikipedia policies and guidelines for inclusion, explained in the deletion policy.

The article will be discussed at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Parodies of Harry Potter until a consensus is reached, and you are welcome to contribute to the discussion.

You may edit the article during the discussion, including to address concerns raised in the discussion. However, do not remove the article-for-deletion template from the top of the article. Ten Pound Hammer, his otters and a clue-bat • (Otters want attention) 01:37, 18 November 2010 (UTC)

Hector Sants redaction

Hi, I notice that you have edited visibility of the Hector Sants article history Hector_Sants. The redacted section is factual, cites sources and collaborative, so I wonder why it has been redacted. Any comments would be appreciated. many thanks. —Preceding unsigned comment added by SilverFox93 (talkcontribs) 16:51, 27 November 2010 (UTC)

Hi SilverFox. My only action on the Hector Sants article, as you can see from the logs, has been to restore a number of edit summaries which did not contain material elegible for redaction under the WP:REVDEL policy. I am not in a position to comment on the validity of the other recent redactions, all of which were performed by User:JzG. Hope this clarifies. Cheers, Happymelon 17:18, 27 November 2010 (UTC)

Categories for discussion nomination of Category:Substituted templates

Info talk.png

Category:Substituted templates, which you created, has been nominated for deletion, merging, or renaming. If you would like to participate in the discussion, you are invited to add your comments at the category's entry on the Categories for discussion page. Thank you. cymru lass (hit me up)(background check) 21:28, 28 November 2010 (UTC)

Burn the rulebook to heat…

LOL Nicely put! -- Avi (talk) 00:56, 29 November 2010 (UTC)

I was coming here to suggest the same thing : )
Though I still think the rules should be clarified about this : ) - jc37 01:30, 29 November 2010 (UTC)

dude...

that's just plain evil :P Choyoołʼįįhí:Seb az86556 > haneʼ 01:43, 30 November 2010 (UTC)

Please don't make any more disruptive edits like that. Jonathunder (talk) 20:55, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
"Disruptive" is a strong word, with connotations of Disruptive editing. Was it your intention to say that choosing to give a humourous twist to an edit which needed to be made anyway, is an example of the editing patterns described on that page? If so I would appreciate it if you could clarify the equivalence for me. Happymelon 22:58, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
I suggest getting back to more productive edits. Jonathunder (talk) 23:38, 30 November 2010 (UTC)
At the time, I was drafting the instructions for scrutineers, discharging my role as an election administrator for the ACE2010 election. These instructions are of course essential to have completed before the close of voting, to address the criticisms of the ACE2009 process that were raised by both the scrutineers (that they didn't have a clear idea of what they were expected to do) and the community (that they didn't know what the scrutineers were doing). It was necessary to add the empty results table to the front page in order to refer to it in the instructions. Am I correct that you consider these activities to be unproductive? Happymelon 01:16, 1 December 2010 (UTC)

Your page of advice

HM, it looks good to me. I've run through it; you might check "The primary role" para, which I rejigged a little (non-substantively). Thanks for this. Tony (talk) 01:53, 1 December 2010 (UTC)

I need some help with a template, again

There is template the food related portals use, {{FD projects}}, to link to the related projects for the portal. Another user has pointed out that it makes it look like the main WikiProject for the associated portal is not the main wikiproject for the portal. Is there any way we can dynamically make it so that the associated project is somehow highlighted? --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 22:03, 2 December 2010 (UTC)

table format

Hi. I tweaked that table to format cleanly. Hope this is compatible with whatever the plans are to update this with actual results... Cheers, Jack Merridew 03:14, 5 December 2010 (UTC)

Template:Religious text primary

A TFD has been opened on Template:Religious text primary. The TfD was opened on 2 December; so is due to close in two days time. Notification being sent to all participants in the previous discussion Wikipedia:Templates_for_deletion/Log/2008_July_30#Template:BibleAsFact. Jheald (talk) 23:21, 5 December 2010 (UTC)

File:Bullets.png missing description details

Dear uploader: The media file you uploaded as File:Bullets.png is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors to make better use of the image, and it will be more informative for readers.

If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.

If you have any questions please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 22:45, 6 December 2010 (UTC)

File:Previewbar.png missing description details

Dear uploader: The media file you uploaded as File:Previewbar.png is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors to make better use of the image, and it will be more informative for readers.

If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.

If you have any questions please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 12:44, 7 December 2010 (UTC)

File:Ya'akov Katz banner shell.png missing description details

Dear uploader: The media file you uploaded as File:Ya'akov Katz banner shell.png is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors to make better use of the image, and it will be more informative for readers.

If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.

If you have any questions please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 12:52, 7 December 2010 (UTC)

File:Texhtml sizes.png missing description details

Dear uploader: The media file you uploaded as File:Texhtml sizes.png is missing a description and/or other details on its image description page. If possible, please add this information. This will help other editors to make better use of the image, and it will be more informative for readers.

If the information is not provided, the image may eventually be proposed for deletion, a situation which is not desirable, and which can easily be avoided.

If you have any questions please see Help:Image page. Thank you. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 13:07, 7 December 2010 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/Bureaucrat_Unchecking

I noticed you are still watching this page. Ruslik_Zero 20:00, 14 December 2010 (UTC)

So, I assume, are you? As are 47 other people? Things tend to stay on my watchlist until I have cause to review the whole list and think "what on earth is that still doing there?"; usually only when I come to synchronise HM and AHM's watchlists. Why? Happymelon 20:07, 14 December 2010 (UTC)

Vile

So one election organiser names one of his colleagues and calls him "vile" in a very publicly watchlisted edit-summary. And refers to his post as "totally unconscionable" and "indefensible", accuses him of dictating to someone else, and threatens him ("how dare you"). You're sure it's not an over-reaction? Worthy of a block, IMO. Tony (talk) 14:54, 15 December 2010 (UTC)

Our status as organisers of the 2010 Arbcom election has zero relevance to my or your comments. All edit summaries are equally visible. This is, as you suspected, an issue about which I feel strongly (cf [1]), doubtless stronger than many members of the community. There are equally certainly areas of the project in which your views are stronger than mine, or of many other editors. Attempting to dictate how a volunteer is 'allowed' to donate their time is indeed, in my opinion, physically repulsive, of little worth or account, shockingly unfair or unjust, not in accordance with what is just or reasonable, and indefensible. I do not see any of my comments as inconsistent with my position, although I do not agree that the phrase "how dare you" represents a "threat".
Blocks are used to prevent damage or disruption to Wikipedia; as there is no "damage or disruption" indicated or implied in either my comment or the underlying position, I would be surprised if you were able to find an administrator who agreed that blocking me would be in line with policy at this time. Happymelon 18:23, 15 December 2010 (UTC)
No apology? Your comment was are a rude and abusive man. You should be ashamed of yourself. I had considerable respect for you; now I have the opposite. You are not fit to be an election administrator. Let me say that I will never give you the time of day again, ever. Tony (talk) 01:48, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
So this was "Vile", "unconscionable, and indefensible"? No, I would have perhaps called it 'unwarranted', maybe 'gratuitous' or 'out of place'. I would say, in turn, that your intervention was an unnecessary escalation. --Ohconfucius ¡digame! 03:45, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
I have, and retain, great respect for both of your opinions, although as I have said, this is the subject (everyone has one) about which I have extremely strong views. It would be wrong of me to apologise for correctly expressing those views, although it would be right to do so if that view transpires to be incompatible with the view of the community. And certainly escalation is undesirable, and I do apologise if you feel, particularly editors other than Tony, that it did so. I do not apologise for using strong words to espouse a sentiment that I feel equally strongly about. But I give strong consideration to Ohconfucius' suggestion that the prevailing view is not to feel as strongly about the matter as I do, and will modify my future comments accordingly. Happymelon 12:15, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
I think I have lost track of what the strongly held view is, exactly. Your cf link above confused me, as does your entire second post. I'm trying not to take offence at your statement that my feelings are not of much concern, but those of others are. Is this another put-down? What does matter are your public insults and the lack of proportion in your reaction. You've twice accused me of dictating; I asked Sandy a question, and although it was loaded, it hardly amounts to dictating what she should do. You've called it vile, and shoved in my face these dictionary definitions above, as though they are your only response when accused of rudeness and abusiveness. It makes me wonder whether someone else has commandeered your username: this is uncharacteristic of the HM I know. And yes, it does matter that we were both election volunteers. From my vantage point it looks like public sabotage of what until then had been a team effort and the public appearance of such (I've had to swallow the fact that the coordinators had to do almost entirely the job of the admins as well this time until towards the end of the vote). Tony (talk) 13:02, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
My view is that any attempt whatsoever to 'attempt to influence' ("dictate" being a word to cover all degrees of influence from the mild to the draconian) how a volunteer spends their time, is entirely unacceptable. Every participant in this or any other free community, is generously donating their time to projects which please or interest them. As long as the project is not damaging to the group as a whole, any such contribution is to be appreciated, whether or not you personally think it's useful or the most useful. To suggest in any way that a volunteer should not so donate their time is the height of ingratitude; to suggest that they should spend it somewhere else is even worse: you are abusing an authority you don't even have over their gifted time. There is an exact correlation between you dictating how someone donates their time, with how someone makes monetary donations, where you wouldn't dream of suggesting "don't donate to that charity, this one is much more worthwhile". Espouse the merits of the second project, for sure, but don't ever think of denigrating the first.
My comment about escalation was merely that, inevitably, neither I nor you are at all impartial in judging whether our sequence of comments was acceptable or unacceptable. Of course your initial reaction was that my comment was inappropriate, and of course my initial reaction was that it was acceptable; those positions are obvious, and don't provide anything new. The opinions of uninvolved editors are much more useful in that regard. I am increasingly convinced, by Ohconfucius and others, that my comment was disproportionate to the level of response that would be expected by the community, and as I've said, I am sorry for that.
I am saddened by the lack of support that has been given to particularly you and Skomorokh during this election, and as I have said very publicly, you deserve the thanks of the whole community for the amount of work you have taken on as a result. I do not agree, however, that this exchange need be seen as "sabotage" of, or even accidental damage to, the 'public face' of the election organisers, which is rather defined by our actions towards the election process. Neither of us has any special control over the issue raised in that thread as a consequence of being election organisers. I would not hesitate to react similarly, if I considered it warranted, to a fellow admin, fellow functionary, fellow toolserver user, or (as I have shown) a fellow developer. Ultimately we are all members of the same community, and this is an issue on that level, no other. Happymelon 15:51, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
Have a nice end-of-year break, HM (from Tony)
I am not criticising you for possessing an opinion, nor denying you the right to express it correctly, if that is what you thought you were doing. I was objecting to a knee-jerk reaction that I felt was perhaps disproportionate. We know that talk pages can get heated at times, and I am suggesting the more correct action would have been maybe a few gentle words to cool it on Tony's talk page rather than a massive spat on the overheated talk page concerned. --Ohconfucius ¡digame! 14:15, 16 December 2010 (UTC)
I believe, on reflection, that you are probably right. Happymelon 15:51, 16 December 2010 (UTC)

Taskforce Jupiter

Hello! Taskforce Jupiter needs a bot to update relevant assessment categories with the relevant template addition {{WikiProject Solar System }}. If its okay, please have the bot do this for all the articles in the following categories:

  • Category:Jupiter

And please only these subcategories of Category Jupiter:

    • Subcategory:Jupiter Trojans
    • Subcategory:Jupiter spacecraft
    • Subcategory:Moons of Jupiter

Thank you for your assistance...We will be sure to publicise the useful services of your bot to our group.--Novus Orator 21:44, 17 December 2010 (UTC)

Hi Novus, and thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately it's been a very long time since I've done any bot work on Wikipedia, and I am sadly out of practice, and out of habit. You will probably get a much more efficacious response to this request if you ask the more active bot-operators at WP:BOTREQ. Cheers, Happymelon 21:57, 17 December 2010 (UTC)

File:Texhtml sizes.png listed for deletion

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:Texhtml sizes.png, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for deletion. Please see the discussion to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you. SchuminWeb (Talk) 15:35, 8 January 2011 (UTC)

I'm hoping for a Random Act of Kindness

Flight Information Service Officer is an article currently entirely written by myself, and I personally believe it could be a B class article, however I can't really condone classifying it as such myself. Could you take a quick look for me, and fill out the B class check-list? I'm hoping for it to get GA at some point, and I know what a skilled hand you can be at those HM! Philip.t.day (talk) 12:58, 11 January 2011 (UTC)

Oversight

Hi, I have a question about the oversight system. I vandal-patrol and send in a few diffs if they look particularly bad. Sometimes I get responses from multiple people about the same submission, usually someone rev/del and then another person suppressing. It's a bit confusing since I'm trying to get a read on which edits should be sent in. Can you explain what's going on? Thanks, Ocaasi (talk) 12:05, 2 January 2011 (UTC)

Oversight, like admin work, is very much a 'Wild West sheriff' approach: we have a number of users who are judged responsible enough to use the tools, and then they are given access to the queue and expected to use their judgement on what qualifies for suppression or redaction. When you email in to oversight-en-wp, the messages go into a queue on OTRS where all the oversighters can see which issues are still open, and we also get email notifications whenever a new message comes in. The first oversighter to respond to the message will make a judgement call on whether the edits qualify for suppression, make any appropriate RevDel actions, and send a response. At that point they can close the ticket, which means other oversighers will not see it, or they can leave it open for a second opinion. If it's a borderline case, they're more likely to leave it open, and another oversighter may come along and make a slightly different judgement. Only very difficult cases will be discussed on the oversight-l internal mailing list before taking action, as speed of response is an important consideration for oversight work.
In the most recent case you brought to our attention, Jclemens responded first and judged that all the edits of the two IPs qualified for redaction, but did not suppress (restrict to oversight-only) any of them. He left the ticket open for further review; I later came along and judged that two of the edits also qualified for suppression, which I have now done, and sent you a response to that effect.
In general, please don't hesitate to bring to our attention any material that you think might require oversight. Best, Happymelon 12:19, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for the response. It makes sense the way the current set-up allows both speed and some 'redundancy' of eyeballs. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, but if you see any diffs that are 'beneath the bar' of suppression, let me know so I can get a better feel for what to send in. Ocaasi (talk) 13:15, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
Dear Mr. Melon,I am astonished to find you have charged me with posting personal information about an anonymous correspondent.The only information posted was about a seventeenth century brothel owner who used to breakfast with William Shakspere and he never claimed to be anonymous.We posted no personal information about an harrassing

and demonstrably ignorant correspondent,Paul B. who has often proudly identified himself here.Please explain.Charles Darnay (talk) 23:20, 11 January 2011 (UTC)

PAGEONWHICHTHISMAGICWORDACTUALLYAPPEARSASTEXT

Hi,
regarding WP:Village pump (technical)/Archive 83#Moved a template, problem editing it, I've thought about this a while ago and I would solve this by creating an automatic template parameter instead of a magic word, say {{{__THISFULLPAGENAME__}}}, which as far as I can tell would not suffer from any of the problems you mentioned, and still be cheap, easy, and intuitive.
Cheers, Amalthea 15:14, 12 January 2011 (UTC)

Yes, that would circumvent the issues I addressed, but it is of much more limited utility as it would still need to be passed through templates to be of any use. I have contemplated introducing implicit passing, where parameters to a template are passed implicitly through to subtemplates unless they are overridden by an explicit declaration, but concluded that that would too badly damage backwards compatibility. Happymelon 18:55, 12 January 2011 (UTC)

Expire -> Expired?

Would it make sense to change the wording on Tranche Gamme from "terms expire" to "terms expired" ? –xenotalk 14:53, 13 January 2011 (UTC)

Yes... :D Happymelon 15:12, 13 January 2011 (UTC)
Cheers (seems there's not enough room to do it on the recent chart =) –xenotalk 15:35, 13 January 2011 (UTC)
Indeed; in another year we can remove the bar from the recent chart altogether. Happymelon 16:11, 13 January 2011 (UTC)

Template talk:R from ASCII

Please see Template talk:R from ASCII#Template & /doc code needs fixing, because something got screwed up. --Funandtrvl (talk) 20:12, 13 January 2011 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Db-g2/doc

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Db-g2/doc has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Thank you. Mhiji 04:27, 15 January 2011 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Db-g4/doc

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Db-g4/doc has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Thank you. Mhiji 04:27, 15 January 2011 (UTC)

Well said

I found your comment here very well written and insightful (if not a bit depressing). Nice work. --MZMcBride (talk) 14:34, 22 January 2011 (UTC)

Thanks! I'm rather looking forward to pushing my new {{#convert: ... }}, but I am a little nervous at how worked up people might get at the tiny steps I've made towards sanity, like having SI units as the default ({{#convert: 1 mi }} converts to metres, but {{#convert: 1 km }} also converts to metres, not to miles). Will reality check? :D Happymelon 11:50, 23 January 2011 (UTC)
Hmm, so how do you control output, then? I assume there's a second parameter when you want to use something other than the default?
Personally, I don't have an issue with the default being SI units. People should just learn to be more explicit. --MZMcBride (talk) 23:22, 23 January 2011 (UTC)
Indeed, {{#convert: 1 mi | nmi }} to convert miles to nautical miles, for instance. Essentially the same as {{convert}}'s {{convert| 1 | mi | nmi }}, except that we can (carefully!) do string parsing to pick the unit out; so we can also take {{#convert: 1-5 mi }} or even {{#convert: 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 |#sourceunit=mi }}. I'll get round to committing it at some point, then it'll pop up on translatewiki.net for people to have a play with. It certainly won't make it into the next scap, but maybe into one soon after that. Happymelon 23:37, 23 January 2011 (UTC)

Wikipedia Ambassador Program is looking for new Online Ambassadors

Hi! Since you've been identified as an Awesome Wikipedian, I wanted to let you know about the Wikipedia Ambassador Program, and specifically the role of Online Ambassador. We're looking for friendly Wikipedians who are good at reviewing articles and giving feedback to serve as mentors for students who are assigned to write for Wikipedia in their classes.

If that sounds like you and you're interested, I encourage you to take a look at the Online Ambassador guidelines; the "mentorship process" describes roughly what will be expected of mentors during the current term, which started in January and goes through early May. If that's something you want to do, please apply!

You can find instructions for applying at WP:ONLINE. The main things we're looking for in Online Ambassadors are friendliness, regular activity (since mentorship is a commitment that spans several months), and the ability to give detailed, substantive feedback on articles (both short new articles, and longer, more mature ones).

I hope to hear from you soon.--Sage Ross - Online Facilitator, Wikimedia Foundation (talk) 01:01, 28 January 2011 (UTC)

Template fix

Hello, there. Long time no see... I hope Wikipedia and the world beyond have been treating you well.

There's something bugging me in {{Cite Hansard}} and I've been thinking that you might be able to fix it. As you can see from the examples on the page, there is a stray space between the date and the following punctuation mark (comma or full-stop). The template is not protected but I can't make sense of the code; I have already had to revert myself once. It's a small detail, but these are the ones which tend to distract me the most, so perhaps you can silence one of the many voices in my head crying about loose ends. Waltham, The Duke of 12:27, 6 February 2011 (UTC)

I think I've fixed it for you. -- WOSlinker (talk) 15:21, 6 February 2011 (UTC)
I think you have; thanks a lot! Waltham, The Duke of 15:40, 6 February 2011 (UTC)

template question

Hi Happy-melon. I am trying to sort out a template/categorization problem, and can't quite get me head around the noinclude feature. In {{NJ Monmouth County Freeholders}} the {{As of}} template is used for potentially dated information. The way it is working now, the template doesn't show up in the maintenance category, but all of the pages where it is transcluded do get categorized. This is completely the opposite of what should happen. How would it get turned around so that the template is categorized for updating, but not the pages containing the transclusion? Thanks. Jim Miller See me | Touch me 16:31, 8 February 2011 (UTC)

Nevermind this. I figured out that what I wanted wasn't going to happen due to {{As of}} using {{DMCA}}, so I am going to try to find another solution. I may need to create a new template similar to {{Update after}} that will work in template space, as that one also seems to suppress inclusion outside of the article namespace. Jim Miller See me | Touch me 17:17, 9 February 2011 (UTC)

Template:LDSproject

You are invited to join the discussion at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Latter Day Saint movement#Template:LDSproject. This invitation is being extended because you have previously edited this template, which indicates you may have some level of interest in it. 208.81.184.4 (talk) 17:06, 9 February 2011 (UTC) (Using {{pls}})

Nomination for deletion of Template:Infobox Saxophone

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Infobox Saxophone has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Chris Cunningham (user:thumperward: not at work) - talk 12:52, 14 February 2011 (UTC)

Thanks for making the prefix parameter work with creation inputboxes

Brilliant - it means we now have this! Thanks. --trevj (talk) 22:09, 18 February 2011 (UTC)

Oh wow, that's been sitting in the pipeline for a while... :D You're welcome! Happymelon 23:20, 18 February 2011 (UTC)
Indeed! But now the table documents it, others may notice and be able to update their infobox usage too. Cheers ----trevj (talk) 20:02, 19 February 2011 (UTC)
Fantastic. Didn't realise this was now live. Been waiting for this for a while! Thanks again H-M. — Martin (MSGJ · talk) 11:45, 20 February 2011 (UTC)

CSD G12 and assertion of permission

You and Moonriddengirl added a provision concerning assertion of permission to G12 in this edit. Prior to that time there was, according to this discussion, consensus for the position that a "credible assertion" of should defeat a G12 nom and refer it to Wikipedia:Copyright problems, even if the claimant had done nothing to give WP permission (though I'll be darned if I can find any language to that effect in the version of G12 that existed on the date of that discussion; it appears to me that they may have been having an apples–and–oranges discussion). Your version, which has persisted until now, says: "For equivocal cases (such as where there is a dubious assertion of permission, or where free-content edits overlie the infringement), please consult Wikipedia:Copyright violations." I'm confused by what you meant by "dubious" assertion in reference to assertions of permission which haven't been approved through WP processes. Is "dubious" intended to mean all such assertions or only those which aren't credible, or something else entirely? Basically, I'm trying to figure out:

  • whether to remove G12 taggings, blank the material, and report the issue to Wikipedia:Copyright problems in those cases in which the page creator, usually a newcomer, responds to the G12 tag with a holdon explanation in which he claims or appears to be the copyright owner or the owner's employee, and
  • if so, whether to do the same thing when the holdon explanation says something like "the copyright owner is okay with it", that is, when there's no indication of ownership, employment, or agency.

Best regards, TRANSPORTERMAN (TALK) 19:14, 1 March 2011 (UTC)

As with many (most, even) things on Wikipedia, it's not a hard-and-fast rule, and it's open both to interpretation, and to reinterpretation over time. October 2008 was a long time ago, and I'll be the first to say that I do not have the full picture of what was going on to lead to that edit. Interpreting it now, I would say that I personally would take a conservative line with suspected copyright violations, on the basis that false positives (unnecessarily removing material) are in this case preferable to false negatives (missing genuine violations). But Wikipedia thrives on the diversity of opinion in its editorial community, and especially on something like this, which is as much a question of wiki-philosophy as anything else, you should use your own common sense and judgement. Whatever happens, though, remember to be polite and civil, because we can undo wiki actions in a few clicks, but driving away a potentially-valuable contributor is irreversible. Happymelon 19:26, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
I just found the background information: Wikipedia:Copyright_problems/Advice_for_admins#Checking_for_permission says:

When a contributor gives credible claim of permission or ownership, he or she should be given notice of how to proceed under Wikipedia:Donating copyrighted materials or Wikipedia:Requesting copyright permission and permitted time to verify before an article is deleted. Seven days is commonly allowed, and the article remains templated while awaiting verification. (It may sometimes be appropriate to revert to the last clean version in history while awaiting verification if the text was introduced recently, but this approach may have problems, since it opens the article to editing during the verification process and new contributors may object to the loss of their contributions once permission is verified.)

To see if permission is asserted, check the talk page, edit summaries, and the user talk page of the contributor who added the text. Sometimes new editors are unsure where to claim permission and could state their claim in unlikely places. You may choose to operate as though a credible claim of permission has been asserted if the contributor's username suggests an affiliation with the suspected source. If a contributor has asserted permission but was not notified of the process for verification at least five days ago, relist under an appropriate date to extend that deadline. If the contributor was not notified how to verify at all, remedy that and relist under today's date.

Just thought you'd like to know. I may start a discussion about this at CSD talk. Regards, TRANSPORTERMAN (TALK) 20:23, 1 March 2011 (UTC)

Inception

You may want to make sure your preference is indicated under the "Requested move" sub-section at Talk:Inception (film). Don't know if closing admins tend to look above the heading or not. :) Erik (talk | contribs) 03:38, 2 March 2011 (UTC)

{{Framework}}

Hello Happy, I was doing some work on the Beer WikiProject page and was looking at the French and Italian Wiki versions of the projects when I came upon the original template that the {{Filefolder}} and {{Q-box}} templates were based on. While I was looking at those two templates, I found that they were more versatile and decided to bring them over to the English Wiki for use in redesigning the Beer WikiProject. I have completed much of the move but need some help with some variables and other stuff.

  1. There is a gap in the middle of the template and I cannot find the reason why it is there. If you take a look at the page, you will see what I mean.
  2. The title text and image does not line up with the Cartella images, and I cannot for the life of me figure out which of the style statements controls the alignment of these elements.
  3. I want to change the switch elements so that the when the users choose their own color sets, they will not be forced to rely solely on hex codes and be able to use HTML defined color names.

There are some other issues that I need help with on this, but cannot think what they are. Could you help me with this monster?

Thanks again for any help you may provide, --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 09:45, 28 March 2011 (UTC)

Hi Jeremy!
I can (and have) helped you with the first point: the template was using HiddenStructure, an ancient hack that predates ParserFunctions, now well and truly deprecated and disabled on enwiki (but not, presumably, frwiki). I've corrected the template code for that.
I'm not entirely sure about the other two without more detailed examination, but for the latter, I'd say watch out for bug 12974http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12974.
Good luck! Happymelon 10:59, 28 March 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for the first fix! In regards to the other two:
  1. The images - the hour glass image at the top of the box is actually two individual elements, one laid on top of the other. The first image, file:Crystal Clear app xmag.png, sits over the second image, file:Cartella_blu.jpg. In the original Italian template, It:Template cartella, you can see that the crystal clear app image is perfectly centered on circle in the cartella image. Also the |title= text is also vertically centered on the bar the circle sits on. I know it is just a setting with in the style statement for the Tab portion of the template, however I am unsure which command it is. That is outside of my intermediate-level newb knowledge base of CSS and HTML.
  2. the switch issue - If you look at the switches that set the color for the border and background attributes, example 1 below, the number sign for the hex code is outside of the switch. I have included a user option, |user={{{border}}}, that allows people two define their own color set for the border and backgrounds. The problem is that the user is forced to use a hex based color code instead of HTML defined colors. What I want to do is be able to allow the user to just type, say white or blue, instead of #000000 or #0000FF, but when I include the pound sign inside the switch the code gets broken, example 2. How would I fix that problem? This appears to be the bug you mentioned. Would creating a template similar to Template:= function as a workaround? I.E. [[Template:#]].
Example 1:
#{{#switch:{{{color|}}} |blue=0000EF |grey=CCC |gray=CCC |green=006400 |violet=EE82EE |orange=FFA500 |yellow=FBB917 |red=F26C6C |pink=CD6090 |user={{{border}}} |#default=0000EF}}
#0000EF
Example 2:
{{#switch:{{{color|}}} |blue=#0000EF |grey=#CCC |gray=#CCC |green=#006400 |violet=#EE82EE |orange=#FFA500 |yellow=#FBB917 |red=#F26C6C |pink=#CD6090 |user={{{border}}} |#default=#0000EF}}
  1. 0000EF
Face-smile.svg Thank you again, --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 17:53, 28 March 2011 (UTC)

I worked around the bug and fixed the alignment issues. Thank you again for you help. --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 22:01, 2 April 2011 (UTC)

{{Finestra Home}}

Hello again!

While I was working on the other template, I came across this template. It appears to have been copied verbatim from it:Template:FinestraHome. I have been Anglicizing it but came across the hiddenStructure tag in the code, could you take a look at this and update it for me? --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 22:05, 2 April 2011 (UTC)

I thank you again sir. --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 20:54, 3 April 2011 (UTC)

Autoconfirmed RfC

A formal Request for Comment has now been started on this topic. Feel free to contribute; best, Ironholds (talk) 20:27, 3 April 2011 (UTC)

Template help

Hi Happy-Melon. I am calling on you out of the blue since I know you have great template technical expertise and thought you might be willing to help. There has been discussion of getting rid of the use of {{hang on}}. For implementation I came up with {{db-meta/sandbox2}}. As you can see, instead of being instructed to place a hangon tag, a direct link to a preformatted talk page discussion is provided. Meanwhile, there's an ifexists parser which places a message informing the creator they haven't edited the talk page yet (and also serves to tell admins there is no talk page at a glance)—it calls {{Hang on/notice2}} for this message. If the talk page exists, however, it calls {{Hang on/notice3}} instead, which gives a a message telling administrators to check the talk page before deleting.

The problem is with the calling of these two notice templates. It works perfectly in testing—you place the db-meta/sandbox2 template on an article that has no talk page, it calls the right one and the same for an article without a talk page. However, it doesn't work at all when it passes through to the db-templates. I know because I actually added the changes to db-meta, here, and then checked a whole bunch of pages at CAT:CSD and regardless of whether they had talk pages or not, neither of the messages displayed. Maybe you can fix it/tell me what the problem is?--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 04:29, 6 April 2011 (UTC)

At a guess, I'd suggest caching. Did you purge and/or null edit any of the 'real' pages after changing the {{db-meta}} template? Happymelon 16:16, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
Thanks for responding. I don't think I did. What I observed was that the new form of the template was there with its features, so it didn't occur to me that if the new templates was showing up, then a parser function in it would not—does it make sense that the new features would display but the cache would need purging for the parser to work? Anyway, let me ask you a different question.

The one feature that Hangon provided that this does not, is that it has no mechanism for announcing that the button has been pressed. When someone places a hangon tag, that tells everyone they are active and may be editing the talk page soon. I don't think in practice is translates to much difference, but there's nothing like that here and I see it as the most likely sticking point. Is there a way to make pressing the "click here to contest this speedy deletion" button place some message in the db template, or if not possible a message in the page it is placed on, such as "The speedy deletion of this page is contested. The person placing this notice intends to dispute the speedy deletion of this article on this page's talk page, and requests that this page not be deleted in the meantime"?--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 22:32, 6 April 2011 (UTC)

Not without saving an edit, no. Allowing one-click active links needs careful handling from a security perspective; the only analogous situation is rollback which is protected by random tokens and duplicate session validation. You could probably do something with JavaScript, but it would almost certainly meet some opposition from the skynet faction. Happymelon 22:55, 6 April 2011 (UTC)
Thanks. Knowing what is possible is very helpful. By the way "skynet faction"? Is this a group that are scared computers are going to become self aware and take over the world? (I recognize the name well from the Terminator movies).--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 00:04, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
It wasn't a caching issue. I've created {{a7-test}}, which has the exact same text as db-a7 but for the noinclude material at the end. The parser messages are not working.--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 04:11, 7 April 2011 (UTC)
Never mind. I fixed it.--Fuhghettaboutit (talk) 21:51, 7 April 2011 (UTC)

Musician "navbox" templates...

Hi! I have some ideas for possible improvements/additions to the musical artist navbox. I'd like to run my ideas by a technically proficient admin before I go to the Village Pump. Have I come to the right place? Cheers, Wikkitywack (talk) 06:54, 4 May 2011 (UTC)

Maybe; I'd certainly call myself technically proficient, but I'm not around as much as I used to be. Feel free to post, though, and I'll get round to looking at it eventually. Happymelon 07:27, 4 May 2011 (UTC)

Eww, hiddenStructure noprint

Hello again, I have a couple of imported Italian templates that are using the hiddenStructure noprint class, could you correct them for me?

They are:


--Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 22:15, 6 May 2011 (UTC)

Why don't you try correcting them yourself, and let me know if you have any problems? Teach a man to fish, and all that... Happymelon 10:42, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

OMRLP

Hi there. The "presumably" was meant to refer to the minority status of the party. This link [2] suggests that they have no view either way. But where are the refs for all the others? Thanks. Martinevans123 (talk) 16:54, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

Ugh, sorry, didn't spot from the diff that all three table cells were on the same line; I thought you'd added them to one of the definitive positions assuming that they were aligned the same as the pirates. Happymelon 17:01, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
No probs. I actually added it in the wrong column myself before I previewed - very easily done. But somewhat of a frivolous edit anyway. But I wonder where are the refs for all the others? On their own article pages, I suppose (not that I have checked), suggesting that really it ought to be added to the OMRLP article first! Oh well. Cheers. Martinevans123 (talk) 18:37, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
Have now added to the OMRLP article, with that ref. Strictly speaking (and true to form) they did not have "no official party position", but rather offered enthusiastic support for both sides! Martinevans123 (talk) 15:14, 8 May 2011 (UTC)

Button on template Db-disambig somehow missing

Hello Happy-melon, I have a question:

I created an article (ACUF) where then another user inserted a tag {{db-disambig}}. I was somewhat confused because the button to contest the speedy deletion was missing. (Wikipedia:Criteria for speedy deletion says it should exist...) The button somehow gots lost between these revisions. Do you have any explanation or know how to insert the button again?

(Actually I simply removed the tag because I didn't found the button, so this was not quite correct.)

--Cyfal (talk) 20:09, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

Hiya. The contest-this-speedy-deletion button is relatively recent, much more recent than that edit you link to. I expect the problem is that the button has never worked with templates which are based on {{db-g6}} rather than {{db-meta}} directly. When you view the old version of the template before my edit in 2008, you see how the template would look using the old version of its code and the current version of {{db-meta}}. I'm afraid I don't know very much about the recent changes to the db- template system, you'd need to talk to whoever made the changes to {{db-meta}}. Happymelon 20:19, 7 May 2011 (UTC)
Thank you! At least I know now what the problem was. Ok - if I'm not to lazy in future I will try to find out who can change the template or try to find out how it works myself - this is really a challenge! --Cyfal (talk) 20:28, 7 May 2011 (UTC)

New release editnotice

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Happy-melon. You have new messages at Template talk:New release editnotice.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Yaris678 (talk) 16:40, 18 May 2011 (UTC)

template:blank WikiLove/sandbox

Hello Happy, I am trying to create a blank template to create other WikiLove templates. The issue I am having is with the substitution functions. Can you help? --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 20:39, 18 May 2011 (UTC)

Autopatrolled

I trust you're not serious about RfA :) but is there not something to be said for giving out the 'autopatrolled' flag more liberally: tools on-wiki are supposed to be no big deal and based on the balance of trust vs. potential harm rather than some ludicrously high threshold? ╟─TreasuryTagconsulate─╢ 09:13, 20 May 2011 (UTC)

No, I wasn't particularly joking about RfA; it's been a long time since your previous run and many of the issues raised there no longer apply. If you think you still wouldn't pass it's worth asking yourself why, and whether that's indicative of something you should be working to change.
WP:DEAL certainly does apply to RFP, but that implies the opposite of what you say: in an environment where a flag conveys no special status, the only reason to give it out is necessity and utility. The autopatrolled flag doesn't give people who have it any new tools or bells or whistles, it only affects Special:NewPages, on which you very rarely appear anyway. It's not a question of "trust vs. potential harm" or even whether you need it; it's whether NPPers need you to have it to ease the pressure on their system; and your level of article creation certainly doesn't make that need at all pressing. Happymelon 09:28, 20 May 2011 (UTC)

Dev question

Re your helpful response here - do you have any idea when r82285 might go live? cheers, PS can you reply on my user talk - it'll serve the additional purpose of testing the email notification system. Rd232 talk 14:18, 23 May 2011 (UTC)

Headings in category pages

Hi, you may recall discussions at VPT like this. As I understand it, in early March, MediaWiki was changed so that that sortkeys beginning with non-capital non-Latin letters (such as μ σ τ) should appear on cat pages under the headings of their capital forms (Μ Σ Τ etc.) instead of under "themselves". Do you recall where the proposal/discussion was made and approved for implementation? This is in relation to recent postings at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Stub sorting#Categorization of stub categories and Template talk:Stub category#Sorting. --Redrose64 (talk) 13:07, 30 May 2011 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Deprecated license

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Deprecated license has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. — This, that, and the other (talk) 05:56, 17 June 2011 (UTC)

Peace is contagious

As another admin advised, I'm following up on a WP:OVERSIGHT issue. You were involved previously redacting posts by User:Peace is contagious on his talk page. He is at it again there, making personal claims about the Baker family ... including a medical claim about one of the Baker children. I think that really crosses a line. As well, if he's genuinely so close to the family, I believe there's a COI issue and he should not be editing that article. I appreciate your help very much. -- 00:00, 1 July 2011 (UTC)

Thank You!

Treble Clef Barnstar.png The Featured Sound Main Page Proposal Voter Barnstar
I was truly humbled by the overwhelming community support for the recent proposal to place featured sounds on the main page. The proposal closed on Tuesday with 57 people in support and only 2 in opposition.

It should take a few weeks for everything to get coded and tested, and once that is done the community will be presented with a mock up to assess on aesthetic appeal.

Finally, I invite all of you to participate in the featured sounds process itself. Whether you're a performer, an uploader, or just come across a sound file you find top quality, and that meets the featured sound criteria, you can nominate it at Wikipedia:Featured sound candidates. Featured sounds is also looking for people to help assess candidates (also at Wikipedia:Featured sound candidates.)

Thanks again for such a strong showing of support, and I hope to see you at featured sounds in the future.
Sven Manguard Wha?
Adam Cuerden (talk)
(X! · talk)

00:00, 1 July 2011 (UTC)

mediawiki:histfirst

There is a bugzilla report that concerns this page. Marcus Qwertyus 06:27, 17 June 2011 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Hpfur

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Hpfur has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. Sfan00 IMG (talk) 19:17, 21 July 2011 (UTC)

Hidden navbar on Template:Asbox

Howdy. In my eternal trawling of the database for odd-looking fish, I've come across the hidden navbar on the Asbox template. I'm trying to assess the usefulness of this feature; as one of either it's users or implementers, I'd like to draw your attention to Template talk:Asbox#Why the navbar ?. - TB (talk) 21:09, 2 August 2011 (UTC)

Template_talk:IPA_audio_filename

Somehow it looks like I jumped the kjew in the editprotect-list. I don't know how or why. But for the record is this, where I mentioned your name. -DePiep (talk) 23:48, 4 August 2011 (UTC)

Question on templates

Problem: I keep forgetting to log in before editing. I don't want to stay logged in when I'm not at the computer.

Possible solution: Put a template on my Office page (the landing page I hit every time I go to Wikipedia since it's my only bookmark) that tells me whether I'm logged in or not.

Are you aware of any way to do that? causa sui (talk) 21:39, 17 August 2011 (UTC)

No; there's no way to make a page display different content to different users.
However, there are plenty of other things you can do to change the interface depending on whether you're logged in or not. For instance, you could add CSS or JS to your account that changes the colour of the edit window or save button, or something else very obvious; if you don't get the customisation, you know you're not logged in.
Hope that's useful! Happymelon 22:49, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
See User:Gadget850/FAQ#Logged out for a chunk of CSS which will turn the "Save page" button green when logged in. --Redrose64 (talk) 23:41, 17 August 2011 (UTC)

Thanks to you both for the help! causa sui (talk) 19:06, 18 August 2011 (UTC)

Invitation to New Orleans developers' meeting

New Orleans Wikimedia Hackathon
MediaWiki and Wikimedia developers' meetup
Hi, Happy-melon. I'd like to invite you to come to the New Orleans Hackathon 2011. We're getting together folks like you -- template, script, tool, and gadget writers -- to participate, give feedback, test, and hack with us.

At the event, MediaWiki developers and Wikimedia operations engineers will be working on Wikimedia's gadgets/extensions/tools support, authorization/authentication strategy, dev-ops virtualization, and general training and hacking. And we'll improve and discuss the Wikimedia Labs projects infrastructure and other stuff that makes it easier for anyone to supercharge Wikimedia with awesomeness.

The event is open to anyone who wants to come and contribute, and is an opportunity to spend time with senior MediaWiki developers & ops engineers, write beautiful code, and learn about the latest developments. We'll write code together, discuss the software, and hold little workshops.

If you can make it to New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 14-16 October 2011, we'd love to have you. Please add your name to the attendees list. Thanks! Sumanah (talk) 20:23, 24 August 2011 (UTC) (Volunteer Development Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation)

Sumanah (talk) 01:08, 25 August 2011 (UTC)

You additionally might be interested in the Brighton hackathon happening this fall. Sumanah (talk) 01:09, 25 August 2011 (UTC)
Invitations to two different events on two different continents?! Where exactly do you think I live? :D Happymelon 20:24, 25 August 2011 (UTC)
Well, New Orleans US is October 14-16 and Brighton UK is November 12-13 2011. You could row that ;-) -DePiep (talk) 23:23, 25 August 2011 (UTC)

Nomination for deletion of Template:Copyedit progress/Base

Ambox warning pn.svgTemplate:Copyedit progress/Base has been nominated for deletion. You are invited to comment on the discussion at the template's entry on the Templates for discussion page. — This, that, and the other (talk) 07:58, 12 September 2011 (UTC)

Random portal component

Could you make an option on this that if there is no header, it will ignore it like it does with footer? TYVM --Jeremy (blah blahI did it!) 00:47, 13 September 2011 (UTC)

Problem(s) with template 'hidden' on http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/cmn

Hi Happy-melon, I'm Dudy1 from Germany.

As you perhaps know there is a Chinese Mandarin Wiki in the Wiki-incubator.

But the people who work on it obviously just make up this wiki with the Chinese transcription system Pinyin. That naturally makes this wiki unreadable for non-Chinese unless - and that's my/the idea one would add the Chinese signs/characters at the same time.

So I came along the template:hidden and thought one could make it usable for the cmn-wiki. I copied the source-text to the cmn-wiki and it does work a bit. But there are problems with picture-files where the hide/show bar influences the position of pictures.

The other problem is, that it would be better to have the possibility of filling in the pinyin (transcription) as well as Chinese characters for longer texts (let's say a paragraph) so that one has not to count in advance how many letters fit in one row.

There ist an example on my user page here: User:Dudy001#Hidden

and one example page on wcm-wiki (Three Gorges Dam):

Wp/cmn/Sānxiágōngchéng (三峽工程)

Here also an example of a 'normal' wcm-article: Wp/cmn/Jiāngsū Shěng

Perhaps you have an idea how to solve this problem or you know someone who does?Dudy001 (talk) 12:56, 25 September 2011 (UTC)

Help:Strip markers

Since I have encountered this twice in two weeks and I keep forgetting what the hell they are; thus, I created Help:Strip markers. The explanation is based on comments you made at VPT. Please review and edit mercilessly. ---— Gadget850 (Ed) talk 17:52, 16 October 2011 (UTC)

MediaWiki (release|version) history

Hello Happy-melon,

I saw you are a sysop here, and I wanted a enwiki sysop to take action on MediaWiki version history. :) MediaWiki history used to be at MediaWiki release history, then on November 2010 it was decided to merge it to MediaWiki. Now on October 2011, Yaron K. decided to split it again [3], to MediaWiki version history (he was probably unaware of the previous title). Could you merge both histories ? They are the same 'page'. I would prefer to keep the traditional name, since I expect there will be more links to the old one (including mw.org), but that's a minor issue, as hey can be changed, and the other page should be redirected to the winner them anyway.

Thanks.

Platonides (talk) 21:39, 28 October 2011 (UTC)

MediaWiki version history contains exactly one edit that introduces new original work, and that is Guillom changing the target of a single external link. There is nothing in the history worth merging; if the split is against consensus, just redirect it back in again. Happymelon 09:37, 29 October 2011 (UTC)