User talk:Harry Wood

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

'edit this page' to leave a message for Nojer2


Image tag[edit]

Hi! Thanks for uploading Image:Whitewater.jpg. I notice it currently doesn't have an image copyright tag. Could you add one to let us know its copyright status? (You can use {{gfdl}} if you release it under the GFDL, or {{fairuse}} if you claim fair use, etc.) If you don't know what any of this means, just let me know where you got the images and I'll tag them for you. Thanks so much, Evil MonkeyTalk 06:45, Dec 10, 2004 (UTC)

OK then Evil Monkey... I took the photo. I guess I will make it public domain ( {{PD-self}} ) -- Nojer2 10:33, 10 Dec 2004 (UTC)

Hierarchypedia[edit]

Thanks for dropping a note at hierarchypedia. I won't close it down even if there are no donations. If I ever did close it down I would probably move all the articles here. The biggest problem is lack of site traffic. --Hierarchypedia 20:13, 29 Apr 2005 (UTC)


Question "could mention 'web application' lower down."[edit]

No. This systems (czech blogging systems) is on-line aplications for all users. You can register on-line, it is similar as registering e-mail on Hotmail.com or other mail services. So if my grandma can writing her weblog, It is easy for her, because this systems is on-line a providing complete services for writing your own weblog. If you have some other question about this, you can contact me on my e-mail brouzdej(at)gmail.com. Have a nice day. Brouzdej 14:54, 3 September 2005 (UTC)

Image:Winfixer-message.png listed for deletion[edit]

An image or media file that you uploaded, Image:Winfixer-message.png, has been listed at Wikipedia:Images and media for deletion. Please look there to see why this is (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry), if you are interested in it not being deleted. Thank you.

TheParanoidOne 16:42, 14 June 2006 (UTC)

Holmfirth Image[edit]

Hi! I have put a reply to your post on the Holmfirth Talk Page. Richard Harvey 17:31, 18 July 2006 (UTC)

Dewey for Kayaks[edit]

I noticed your comments about sports being a small subsection of Arts... I agree that it doesn't make sense on some level, but many aspects of dewey have been stretched to accomodate shifing balances of what people are interested in. Anyhoo, in case you are curious,

79X = Recreational and Performing arts

796 = Athletic and outdoor sports & Games
797 = Aquatic and Air Sports
798 = Equestrian Sports & animal racing
799 = fishing, hunting, shooting

furthermore,

797.1 = boating
797.2 = swimming, diving, etc.
797.3 = surfing, waterskiing, etc.
797.4 = ?
797.5 = Skydiving, ballooning, hang gliding, etc.

the most precise number for kayaking I could find was 797.1224, but decimals can be truncated, so one might find kayak books in a given library at 797.1224, 797.122, 797.12, 797.1, or even just 797. (They're only supposed to be truncated at certain points, but that's a whole other story)

sorry if this was too much information Matt Kurz 00:15, 21 July 2006 (UTC)

Hmm was just looking at that old discussion again. Interesting that wikipedia's use of dewey decimal could actually be regarded as a copyright violation. How tedious. -- Nojer2 09:57, 21 July 2006 (UTC)

Typo[edit]

I fixed the typo you've mentioned. People aren't very attentive to copyright issues around here. :( Superm401 - Talk 00:03, 7 March 2007 (UTC)

London Meetup - January 12, 2008[edit]

Hi! There's going to be a London Wikipedia Meetup coming Saturday January 12, 2008. If you are interested in coming along take part in the discussion over at Wikipedia:Meetup/London7. The discussion is going on until tomorrow evening and the official location and time will be published at the same page late Thursday or early Friday. Hope to see you Saturday, Poeloq (talk) 03:02, 10 January 2008 (UTC)

8th London Wikipedia Meetup: POSTPONED![edit]

Hi! I've decided to postpone the meetup pending a new date, as too many regulars / people who signed up have said that they will not likely make it. Please go over to the talk page and let's discuss a new date! Poeloq (talk) 01:35, 1 February 2008 (UTC)


Thanks for the heads up about the new meetup date. — OwenBlacker (Talk) 10:17, 5 April 2008 (UTC)

OSM[edit]

Hi Harry Wood and thanks, yep i realise there needs to be more participation from india which is why i am also attending the freemapindia workshop to be held in bangalore on saturday -- PlaneMad|YakYak 17:52, 14 February 2008 (UTC)

Take more care[edit]

You'll find it really pisses people off when in making an addition to a talk page, you remove someone else's message, as you did here. INdeed, you managed to delete messages from two people.

I have reverted your edit. If you;d like to make it again, try not to cock it up. --Tagishsimon (talk) 13:05, 7 April 2008 (UTC)

Sorry Tagishsimon. Not sure why that happened. I wasn't removing your message on purpose. Slip of the mouse I guess. -- Harry Wood (talk) 13:32, 7 April 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. I was obviously in a very pissy mood when I left my message; apologies for that, it was unnecessary. --Tagishsimon (talk) 22:41, 8 April 2008 (UTC)
Probably because I didn't invite you. hehe. Lemme fix that (Just noticed you're in London too) I didn't fire that message at all the Wikipedians in London, just the people that expressed an interest on previous occasions, but everyone's invited of course! -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:28, 9 April 2008 (UTC)
It did occur to me to wonder where my invitation was. But I spend weekends in the north of England, so will not be able to attend. Hope you all have a great day/night. --Tagishsimon (talk) 16:55, 9 April 2008 (UTC)

Your email failed![edit]

Hi, I was emailing you about this.... Three Mills Loop - do you know about these two walks? Gordo (talk) 16:58, 11 April 2008 (UTC)

Nice to see you yesterday[edit]

It was good to see what Wikipedians really look like. Bashereyre (talk) 10:20, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

SVG[edit]

Regarding your edit, I checked the osmarender option, only PNG and JPEG formats are listed. I don't see a SVG option. Any ideas? Regards, Ganeshk (talk) 00:25, 22 April 2008 (UTC)

I figured it out...need to use mapnik image option. what is a good resolution (scale 1)for wikipedia upload? Regards, Ganeshk (talk) 00:36, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
Yeah that threw me at first. Not sure why SVG is listed under Mapnik. Well I suppose it is because it is following the Mapnik rendering styles.
I haven't actually got around to trying to upload an SVG file to wikipedia, so you're leading the way here I think! Add some tips on the Wikipedia:WikiProject OpenStreetMap page there if you figure out a good way to make it work. Not sure what issues you will encounter, but I shall it out myself some time soon. -- Harry Wood (talk) 12:53, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
I created Image:Holborn-viaduct-map.svg to prove the concept. The process was a bit fiddly, and there's an issue with one-way street arrows. See Wikipedia:WikiProject OpenStreetMap#New 'Export' Tab where I've listed some points. Add to this if you like. Let me know how you get on! -- Harry Wood (talk) 16:00, 22 April 2008 (UTC)

The file size is running into mega bytes when exporting to SVG. I was hoping to get the file size under 500k, but the resolution goes bad. Would you know if the image file size has any effect on page loading time? Regards, Ganeshk (talk) 22:17, 23 April 2008 (UTC)

No because wikipedia renders the SVG to a conventional raster image, and that is what a browser gets when anyone is viewing the wikipedia article. For example when loading the Holborn Viaduct page, your browser is actually fetching a raster PNG format file : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/05/Holborn-viaduct-map.svg/350px-Holborn-viaduct-map.svg.png Very complicated SVG has no effect on that page loading time (for wikipedia visitors), however you might have trouble with your initial upload. It will take longer to do this (as it renders the complex SVG). It presumably blows up with a timeout/memory error or something if you push complexity to the limits. I haven't tried doing something more complex yet, but remember the map should look good and have readable text, in the thumbnail presented on an article anyway, which limits the amount of complexity we cram into an image anyway. You may want to think about exporting (from OSM intially) while more zoomed out, since this includes less details, fewer vectors and fewer street name texts. -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:32, 24 April 2008 (UTC)

Meetup invites[edit]

Can you please stop leaving invites to the meetups on my talk page? I am well aware of them from other sources and quite frankly it's not practical for me to make any of them. I would appreciate it if you would leave me out of future mass-spammings on talk pages about future meetups. Arkady Rose (talk) 14:49, 30 April 2008 (UTC)

Sorry. Hopefully next time me (or anyone else) promotes an event, they will see your reply on your talk page there, and avoid pestering you with any new messages. I appreciate they can be mildly irritating. Although I thought you wouldn't mind being "targetted" since you've been to events before in London.
I'm also hoping that, once the ball is rolling a bit, we'll have enough people coming along regularly such that we won't need to 'push' the message at all.
-- Harry Wood (talk) 15:47, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

I, on the other hand, welcome your invitations! Sadly I'm only in London through the week, and in the North over the weekends. Were there a Tuesday or Wednesday evening meet for the hard-core central Londoners, that would be a runner for me. Hope you all enjoy yourselves. --Tagishsimon (talk) 15:38, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

Yeah that's something we discussed before. It turned out that weekend lunchtimes were more feasible for some of the poeple wanting to travel in, but an after work meetup could work better for some of us too. I guess we should mix it up a bit -- Harry Wood (talk) 15:47, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

London Meetup[edit]

Couldn't make it, sorry - hope all went well! 81.149.250.228 (talk) 06:49, 12 May 2008 (UTC)

Meet[edit]

Hi Harry. As much as I'd like to, I can't do June, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to come to the next monthly London visit. It sounds to me like it's going to be the first or second Sunday of July. Perhaps you could give me the date? I'd appreciate it, cheers. WilliamH (talk) 17:01, 13 May 2008 (UTC)

Ja ja I'll be there.Geni 00:53, 7 June 2008 (UTC)

Im still planning it. I want to meet this person who put the photo request template on all those pages ;-) but my mother was rushed to hospital yesterday morning. The news seems good and she'll probably be discharged tomorrow. But, I'll have to wait and see.--Peter cohen (talk) 09:58, 7 June 2008 (UTC)

June Meet[edit]

Sorry Harry cannot do June meet. Hope all is well. Bashereyre (talk) 07:10, 7 June 2008 (UTC)

August[edit]

Hi Harry - sorry you couldn't make Sunday. Is the WP:MEET ball rolling for London 12, presumeably August 10th? WilliamH (talk) 19:08, 15 July 2008 (UTC)

wiki-meetup[edit]

Hey, I saw from past records that you attended london wiki-meetup no. 9; if you're interested in attending again we're planning meetup 12 at the moment. Ironholds 16:53, 21 July 2008 (UTC)

Invitation to Wikipedia meetup in London[edit]

Wikimedia UK logo

Date: 13:00 onwards, Sunday 10 August 2008

Venue: Penderel's Oak pub, Holborn WC1 map

More information: Wikipedia:Meetup/London 12


Hello,

I noticed that you have listed yourself as a Wikipedian in London, so I thought you might like to come to one of our monthly social meetups. The next one is going to be on Sunday 10 August, which might well be rather short notice, but if you can't come this time, we try to have one every second Sunday of the month.

If you haven't been before, these meetups are mainly casual social events for Wikipedia enthusiasts in which we chat about Wikipedia and any other topics we fancy. It's a great way to meet some very keen Wikipedians, but we'd also love for you to come along if you're interested in finding out more about Wikipedia, other Wikimedia projects, or other collaborative wiki projects too.

The location is a pub that is quite quiet and family friendly on a Sunday lunchtime, so hopefully younger Wikipedians will also feel welcome and safe. Alcohol consumption is certainly not required!

Although the meetups are popular, many UK-based editors still don't know about them. It would be great to welcome some fresh faces, so I hope you can come along.

Yours,

James F. (talk) 09:27, 3 August 2008 (UTC)

Please forgive the slightly impersonal mass-invite!

Oxford Wikimania 2010 and Wikimedia UK v2.0 Notice[edit]

Hi,

As a regularly contributing UK Wikipedian, we were wondering if you wanted to contribute to the Oxford bid to host the 2010 Wikimania conference. Please see here for details of how to get involved, we need all the help we can get if we are to put in a compelling bid.

We are also in the process of forming a new UK Wikimedia chapter to replace the soon to be folded old one. If you are interested in helping shape our plans, showing your support or becoming a future member or board member, please head over to the Wikimedia UK v2.0 page and let us know. We plan on holding an election in the next month to find the initial board, who will oversee the process of founding the company and accepting membership applications. They will then call an AGM to formally elect a new board who after obtaining charitable status will start the fund raising, promotion and active support for the UK Wikimedian community for which the chapter is being founded.

You may also wish to attend the next London meet-up at which both of these issues will be discussed. If you can't attend this meetup, you may want to watch Wikipedia:Meetup, for updates on future meets.

We look forward to hearing from you soon, and we send our apologies for this automated intrusion onto your talk page!

Addbot (talk) 07:40, 31 August 2008 (UTC)

SVG[edit]

Harry, I made this Delhi 2008 blasts final.svg for 2008 Delhi bombings. OpenStreetMap is proving quite useful for current events such as these. I thought you might be interested. :) Regards, Ganeshk (talk) 05:39, 14 September 2008 (UTC)

Excellent work! I've mentioned this on my OSM user diary because this really is the kind of usage OSM want to encourage.
Our map of Delhi is fairly incomplete though actually hey? Somebody should do some work on Sketching over Yahoo aerial imagery there to get in more of the road layouts.
-- Harry Wood (talk) 09:32, 23 September 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. I did not know that we could Yahoo for sketching. That should make it so much easier than using GPS traces. Regards, Ganeshk (talk) 22:00, 23 September 2008 (UTC)
Yes sketching in street layouts based on the Yahoo! aerial imagery will let you create city maps quite quickly and easily. This would be quite effective for images like this, where you are a bit zoomed out. Obviously it's not so useful for zoomed in street maps where you would want to see all the street names (that requires mapping work on the ground which is lot more effort) -- Harry Wood (talk) 16:22, 24 September 2008 (UTC)

Wikimedia UK v2.0[edit]

Hello! Thanks for showing an interest in Wikimedia UK v2.0. Formation of the company is currently underway under the official name "Wiki UK Limited", and we are hoping to start accepting membership in the near future. We have been drawing up a set of membership guidelines, determining what membership levels we'll have (we plan on starting off with just standard Membership, formerly known as Guarantor Membership, with supporting membership / friends scheme coming later), who can apply for membership (everyone), what information we'll collect on the application form, why applications may be rejected, and data retention. Your input on all of this would be appreciated. We're especially after the community's thoughts on what the membership fee should be. Please leave a message on the talk page with your thoughts.

Also, we're currently setting up a monthly newsletter to keep everyone informed about the to-be-Chapter's progress. If you would like to receive this newsletter, please put your username down on this page.

Thanks again. Mike Peel (talk) 19:53, 8 November 2008 (UTC) (Membership Secretary, Wikimedia UK [Proposed])

Wiki UK Ltd Membership applications now invited![edit]

Hello,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Wiki UK Limited is now inviting membership applications! You can download the application form in PDF format from meta:Image:Wiki_UK_Ltd_membership_application_form.pdf

Information is given on the form about membership fees (£12/year standard, £6 for concessions); these need to be paid by cheque initially, although we hope to accept other forms of payment in the future. Applications should be submitted to me at the address given on the form. If you have any queries about the application process, please let me know.

We will formally start accepting members once we have a bank account, as we cannot process membership fees until that time. We will be submitting our application for a bank account in the very near future, and we hope to have this set up by the end of December at the latest.

Thank you for your support so far; I look forward to receiving your membership application.

Mike Peel (talk) 21:44, 19 November 2008 (UTC)

Membership Secretary, Wiki UK Limited

P.S. if you haven't already, please subscribe to our newsletter! See meta:Wikimedia_UK_v2.0/Newsletter for more information and to subscribe.

Wiki UK Limited is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL.

City map[edit]

Hope you are well. This might interest you. User:Raise lkblr just exported a map of Bangalore from OpenStreetMap. It will start showing up in Banglaore related articles. See Koramangala. This is good stuff! Happy Holidays! Regards, Ganeshk (talk) 06:14, 31 December 2008 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Meetup/London 18[edit]

The Victoria and Albert Museum Wikipedia Loves Art event is February 1 (this Sunday), -not- February 8. Thanks!--Pharos (talk) 02:48, 28 January 2009 (UTC)

Wikimania Oxford bid[edit]

Some time ago you indicated your support of the Oxford 2010 Wikimania Bid, and it was recieved with much gratitude. I now ask if you could could help support our bid by contributing to the bid page that is located at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2010/Bids/Oxford. Now is the critical period for work to continue on the bid as the official bidding period has now started and the jury has been formed.

I do not ask for huge swathes of time, just enough that with eveyrone working on this, it can be completed in time to the high standard required in a bid. For the bid page, an excellent source of information is the travel wiki article on the City of Oxford which is found at: http://wikitravel.org/en/Oxford. The chance of bringing Wikimania to the UK is the best so far and i expect the best chance for many years. With a fresh and stong UK chapter we have an amazing opportunity to put ourselves on the map. If you have any questions, please mail them to the Wikimedia UK mailing list, email me or post a message on my talk page and i will answer as quickly as possible.

I look forward to working with you on the bid page. Many Thanks. Seddσn talk 15:13, 31 January 2009 (UTC)

Grand Canyon of the Stikine fix[edit]

Thanks for catching that; I'd misread the BCGNIS previously....and think perhaps on BC Basemap it shows it downstream from Telegraph Creek, but I'll check that; I amended the Stikine River article and maybe others will need it to, e.g. Tahltan Highland or the main Telegraph Creek article....Skookum1 (talk) 01:57, 22 March 2009 (UTC)


Wikipedia:Meetup/London 20[edit]

Just a reminder that it's this Sunday if you fancy coming.Theresa Knott | token threats 18:27, 10 April 2009 (UTC)

Wikimania 2010 Oxford bid[edit]

Thank you for supporting the Oxford bid to hold Wikimania 2010! We're currently in the final stages of the bid process - the jury will be announcing their decision by the 16th April. We're currently putting together the local team for the bid (who will do what if the bid wins); if you're able to be on the local team, please put your name in the appropriate place on m:Wikimania 2010/Bids/Oxford/Team. We'd also welcome anything you can do to help refine the bid in these last few days. If you have any questions, please let me or User:Seddon know. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 21:39, 10 April 2009 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Thank you for adding a diagram (great circle and jet stream routes) to Flight planning. Murray Langton (talk) 22:43, 16 May 2009 (UTC)

Yesterday's meetup[edit]

Hi - did I promise to pass anything on to you? I've forgotten! --Redrose64 (talk) 12:25, 12 October 2009 (UTC)

Usability of GeoTemplate[edit]

Comments on the usability of {{GeoTemplate}} (the page listing mapping services found by clicking on coordinates in articles) are invited, at Template talk:GeoTemplate#Usability redux. Andy Mabbett (User:Pigsonthewing); Andy's talk; Andy's edits 17:50, 17 March 2010 (UTC)

Merger proposal: Enterprise service bus and Message-oriented middleware to Middleware[edit]

I have proposed your merger of Message-oriented middleware to middleware. I've also proposed Enterprise service bus be merged. Feel free to check the discussion. prat (talk) 13:30, 24 September 2010 (UTC)

London Wikimedia Fundraiser[edit]

Good evening! This is a friendly message from Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry, inviting you to the London Wikimedia Fundraising party on 19th December 2010, in approximately one week. This party is being held at an artistic London venue with room for approximately 300 people, and is being funded by Ed Saperia, a non-Wikipedian who has a reputation for holding exclusive events all over London. This year, he wants to help Wikipedia, and is subsidising a charity event for us. We're keen to get as many Wikimedians coming as possible, and we already have approximately 200 guests, including members of the press, and some mystery guests! More details can be found at http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/London - expect an Eigenharp, a mulled wine hot tub, a free hog roast, a haybale amphitheatre and more. If you're interested in coming - and we'd love to have you - please go to the ten.wikipedia page and follow the link to the Facebook event. Signing up on Facebook will add you to the party guestlist. Entry fee is a heavily subsidised £5 and entry is restricted to over 18s. It promises to be a 10th birthday party to remember! If you have any questions, please email me at chasemewiki at gmail.com.

Hope we'll see you there, (and apologies for the talk page spam) - Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry (talk) 22:56, 12 December 2010 (UTC)

Fair use rationale for File:Winfixer-message.png[edit]

Copyright-problem.svg

Thanks for uploading or contributing to File:Winfixer-message.png. I notice the file page specifies that the file is being used under fair use but there is not a suitable explanation or rationale as to why each specific use in Wikipedia constitutes fair use. Please go to the file description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale.

If you have uploaded other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on those pages too. You can find a list of 'file' pages you have edited by clicking on the "my contributions" link (it is located at the very top of any Wikipedia page when you are logged in), and then selecting "File" from the dropdown box. Note that any non-free media lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been tagged, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you. RJaguar3 | u | t 22:31, 13 December 2010 (UTC)

Thanks RJaguar, but I really don't see what more can be added. It's a screenshot of dialog box error message from internet explorer. I'm pretty confident that it should count as fair use, but as stated on the page I don't know what the appropriate template is to describe that. Suggestions?. -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:49, 14 December 2010 (UTC)
The page WP:NFURG has information on this and templates you can use to make a non-free use rationale. Keep in mind that we have two separate potential copyright issues: the dialog box (with Microsoft), and the text displayed therein (with the software authors). RJaguar3 | u | t 14:02, 14 December 2010 (UTC)
OK I tried to put some "rationale" on there -- Harry Wood (talk) 15:37, 14 December 2010 (UTC)

The Contribution Team cordially invites you to Imperial College London

All Hail The Muffin Nor does it taste nice... 18:24, 5 February 2011 (UTC)

Editathon and Meetup invitations[edit]