|This is Jamesmcmahon0's talk page, where you can send messages and comments to Jamesmcmahon0.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3|
WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 6
Hello there! Happy to be writing this newsletter once more. This month:
Some good news: the Wikimedia Foundation has renewed WikiProject X. This means we can continue focusing on making WikiProjects better.
During our first round of work, we created a prototype WikiProject based on two ideas: (1) WikiProjects should clearly present things for people to do, and (2) The content of WikiProjects should be automated as much as possible. We launched pilots, and for the most part it works. But this approach will not work for the long term. While it makes certain aspects of running a WikiProject easier, it makes the maintenance aspects harder.
We are working on a major overhaul that will address these issues. New features will include:
- Creating WikiProjects by simply filling out a form, choosing which reports you want to generate for your project. This will work with existing bots in addition to the Reports Bot reports. (Of course, you can also have sections curated by humans.)
- One-click button to join a WikiProject, with optional notifications.
- Be able to define your WikiProject's scope within the WikiProject itself by listing relevant pages and categories, eliminating the need to tag every talk page with a banner. (You will still be allowed to do that, of course. It just won't be required.)
The end goal is a collaboration tool that can be used by WikiProjects but also by any edit-a-thon or group of people that want to coordinate on improving articles. Though implemented as an extension, the underlying content will be wikitext, meaning that you can continue to use categories, templates, and other features as you normally would.
This will take a lot of work, and we are just getting started. What would you like to see? I invite you to discuss on our talk page.
Until next time,
WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking?
Hi James, saw your bot tagging the pages for Va'a and Outrigger Canoeing at the Pacific Games for Wikipedia:WikiProject Kayaking. Nice work. It reminded me to look at the talk page for the project again regarding the proposal of WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking as a better name three months ago. No other comments besides yours and mine, though, in the time since. What would your thoughts be on simply moving the page to WikiProject Canoeing and Kayaking now (and also creating a redirect from WikiProject Canoeing as per your earlier suggestion)? I'm thinking WP:BOLD. -- Ham105 (talk) 11:04, 21 January 2016 (UTC)
Your bot's making some strange changes
Hello, in its edit to Talk:Phil Coles, it duplicated the kayaking and watersports WikiProject tags and added a duplicate importance parameter to the first kayaking WikiProject tag. Graham87 14:53, 21 January 2016 (UTC)
- @David Biddulph, Graham87, and 22.214.171.124: - Thanks for letting me know, I've never had any issues with that task before... I'll review all the recent changes, fix any mistakes and hopefully figure out what went wrong. Jamesmcmahon0 (talk) 09:13, 22 January 2016 (UTC)
your bot is broken, adding "importance=Mid" twice, adding tons of pages to Category:Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls. see, for example, here. 126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:42, 21 January 2016 (UTC)
- was going to try to fix them, but there are currently over 3500 ... :( 188.8.131.52 (talk) 18:07, 21 January 2016 (UTC)