User talk:Jimbo Wales
|Welcome to my talk page. Please sign and date your entries by inserting ~~~~ at the end.|
Start a new talk topic.
Jimbo welcomes your comments and updates – he has an open door policy.
He holds the founder's seat on the Wikimedia Foundation's Board of Trustees.
The current trustees occupying "community-selected" seats are Doc James, Pundit and Raystorm.
The Wikimedia Foundation's Lead Manager of Trust and Safety is Jan Eissfeldt.
Sometimes this page is semi-protected and you will not be able to leave a message here unless you are a registered editor. In that case,
you can leave a message here
|This user talk page might be watched by friendly talk page stalkers, which means that someone other than me might reply to your query. Their input is welcome and their help with messages that I cannot reply to quickly is appreciated.|
A goat for you!
Also, please make a little userbox for Encyclopedia Dramatica Usres
A goat for you!
Thanks for making Wikipedia! It is an extremely useful resource!
A kitten for you!
Editing news 2021 #1
The Reply tool is available at most other Wikipedias.
- The Reply tool has been deployed as an opt-out preference to all editors at the Arabic, Czech, and Hungarian Wikipedias.
- It is also available as a Beta Feature at almost all Wikipedias except for the English, Russian, and German-language Wikipedias. If it is not available at your wiki, you can request it by following these simple instructions.
- As of January 2021, more than 3,500 editors have used the Reply tool to post about 70,000 comments.
- There is preliminary data from the Arabic, Czech, and Hungarian Wikipedia on the Reply tool. Junior Contributors who use the Reply tool are more likely to publish the comments that they start writing than those who use full-page wikitext editing.
- The Editing and Parsing teams have significantly reduced the number of edits that affect other parts of the page. About 0.3% of edits did this during the last month. Some of the remaining changes are automatic corrections for Special:LintErrors.
- A large A/B test will start soon. This is part of the process to offer the Reply tool to everyone. During this test, half of all editors at 24 Wikipedias (not including the English Wikipedia) will have the Reply tool automatically enabled, and half will not. Editors at those Wikipeedias can still turn it on or off for their own accounts in Special:Preferences.
New discussion tool
The new tool for starting new discussions (new sections) will join the Discussion tools in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures at the end of January. You can try the tool for yourself. You can leave feedback in this thread or on the talk page.
During Talk pages consultation 2019, editors said that it should be easier to know about new activity in conversations they are interested in. The Notifications project is just beginning. What would help you become aware of new comments? What's working with the current system? Which pages at your wiki should the team look at? Please post your advice at mw:Talk:Talk pages project/Notifications.
Possible solutions of preventing disinformation on non-English Wikipedia with better efficiency
As the 2020 US election voter frauds have gained substantial traction in both the US and beyond, Wikipedia inevitably becomes an obvious target of spreading the disinformation. While I am by no mean claiming the English Wikipedia is perfect, deprecating the news outlet which spread the conspiracy theories duly slows down the disinformation campaign. A new problem arises when multilingual editors spread the disinformation on non-English Wikipedias when no consensus has been reached against controversial sources such as OAN which have already been deemed unreliable on English WP. Initiating another round of RfC of reliable source on non-English Wikipedia would be incredibly counterproductive, because many foreign Wikipedians are not knowledgeable enough about the English sources thus the discussion will suffer information asymmetry. When attempting to cite the consensus from English WP, we always meet with the most convenient argument possible "foreign WP editorial policies does not affect local WP."
Spreading disinformation via non-English platforms has become a growing problem as it would receive less scrutiny for a variety of reasons. This issue is obviously not new to Wikipedia projects, but as the disinformation campaign of US politics has intensified since the 2020 US elections and is not going to go away even after Biden has taken office, some kind of blanket action should be taken by the WMF against blatantly unreliable sources across all sister projects. -- Sameboat - 同舟 (talk · contri.) 14:24, 23 January 2021 (UTC)
Board of Trustees terms
Please fight the disrupute into which the current questionably legitimately constituted Board of Trustees is plunging the Foundation by your continued failure to elect an entirely democratic, fully community-elected Board of Trustees. If the elected Board feels that they must appoint unelected members, certainly you can appoint such to committees or subcommittees. Are you afraid that your own seat would not be safe if subject to the scrutiny of the traditional community election process? Poppycock! 220.127.116.11 (talk) 02:53, 24 January 2021 (UTC)