|Welcome to my talk page. to leave me a message.
If you have come here about a page I deleted, you will probably find the explanation here; if that does not answer your question, click the link just above to leave me a message. Please mention the name of the page, and sign your post with four "tilde" characters ~~~~ so that I know who you are.
If I have left a message on your talk page, please reply there; I am watching it.
If you leave a message here I will usually reply here, but if my reply contains advice I hope you will find useful, I may place it on your talk page. (Talk page stalkers: you are welcome; if you see no reply here, there is probably one on the other talk page; I have decided to stop making a note here when I reply there).
You may E-mail me via the "E-mail this user" link under "Toolbox" in the left-hand sidebar, but you will get a faster response here; I suggest you do not use e-mail unless you need privacy. I will normally reply on your talk page, not by e-mail.
DELETION OF MY PAGE
- @Marvellous001: the article only said he was a rapper who had released one EP. That's not enough to have an article here - see WP:MUSICBIO for what a musical performer needs to have achieved before having an article, and WP:Notability (summary) for the sort of references necessary if an article is to be kept.
- If you want to take time over making an article, use WP:Articles for creation to make a draft that you can work on till it's ready. JohnCD (talk) 21:06, 14 September 2016 (UTC)
Im Ian Hathaway I'm creating the page you deleted and i didn't attack myself so why did you say i did? and can i get my page back — Preceding unsigned comment added by FieldGar (talk • contribs) 21:04, 18 September 2016 (UTC)
- @FieldGar: no, because Wikipedia is not a social-networking site for people to write about themselves. It's a project to build a serious encyclopedia, which is quite different. Read Wikipedia is not about YOU and Wikipedia:Guidance for younger editors. JohnCD (talk) 21:13, 18 September 2016 (UTC)
I read through your Speedy Deletion explanation. I understand the reasoning behind the deletion of the page I created.
I am currently interning at a company and was tasked with making a Wikipedia page for the company. I don't fully understand how to go about this, honestly. I have tried to Google the matter as well as read through various explanation pages on the Wikipedia database. So if you wouldn't mind please undeleting the page I created as well as possibly giving me a brief explanation on how to edit and form the actual encyclopedia page, so that I could prevent this from occurring again. That would be greatly appreciated.
- @Omer.turnstyle: no, I will not undelete the page because it is (a) copyright and (b) promotional. I'm afraid the answer to "how to go about this" is: you probably can't, with any hope of success. Whoever tasked you is evidently under the impression that Wikipedia is another social-networking site like Facebook or LinkedIn where people and companies tell the world about themselves. It isn't; it's a project to build an encyclopedia, which is quite different. What I have already written on your talk page covers the reasons, but later tonight I will add more there to try to summarise the differences in terms which you can ahow the company, and give you the best advice I can/ JohnCD (talk) 20:49, 23 September 2016 (UTC)
Extended confirmed protection
NPP & AfC
A dedicated venue for combined discussion about NPP & AfC where a work group is also proposed has been created. See: Wikipedia:The future of NPP and AfC --Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 07:52, 24 September 2016 (UTC)
John this is Michael Miller. You helped me a lot last November when I was a neophyte on my Computational anatomy page. Since then I think we have had very good support and the community is contributing and I think enjoying it.
Please advise what I should do on this issue. I am being very successful in my University and in various ways, and people encouraging me to make a Wikipedia page. So I spend some time thinking and documenting my careeer. I posted it and appropriately it is going to be pulled down becuase I just realized the rules are that we cannot make our own pages (autobiography).
Can I have one of my colleagues who are Professor somehwere else post it for me now? Or since it is going to be pulled down, it really cannot appear again.
Is my name also now burned up, i.e. Michael I. Miller or Michael Ira Miller?
- @Mim.cis: all is not lost: autobiography is discouraged (see WP:Autobiography) but it is not forbidden, and is not in itself grounds for deletion. The notice that appeared at the top of your page was a WP:Proposed deletion, or PROD for short; the system is that they are intended for uncontroversial deletions, and the notice may be removed for any reason or none by anyone who disagrees. Only if it has not been removed after seven days is the page deleted. Yours has already been removed by an IP (unregistered user) with edit summary "remove WP:PROD tag - that's not a valid reason for deletion".
- Once removed, a PROD may not be replaced, because the deletion is evidently not uncontroversial. The article may still be nominated at WP:Articles for deletion, which would start a discussion lasting seven days, where anyone can contribute, and at the end an uninvolved administrator decides what to do, not by counting heads but by considering the arguments in terms of Wikipedia policies and guidelines - in your case, mainly WP:Notability (academics). You can see what these discussions look like in this daily list: Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Log/2016 September 15. You would be welcome to contribute, declaring your interest.
- You will understand that once posted this is no longer your article, it is Wikipedia's article about you, and others can and will edit it. In fact, you are advised not to edit it directly yourself, but to point out any inaccuracies or proposed changes on the article talk page. Regards, JohnCD (talk) 22:12, 24 September 2016 (UTC)
I have noticed a while back that you deleted my page, and I would like to make a comment on that. You have removed my sandbox page which I worked on. I understand there was not much proof to back up what I was stating but that's simply because I am the creator of Proxyth. This being said I feel I have the right to write about it. I tried providing information about it that came from a reliable website or source. But because I am one of the few who contribute to this micro-nation it is hard to have solid proof again. If you can back to me on how I can fix this issue and how we can get around so that a page on Proxyth can be created then please contact me as soon as you can. Thank you for your time. -Jacob — Preceding unsigned comment added by Pccd12 (talk • contribs) 21:05, 25 September 2016 (UTC)
- @Pccd12: your sandbox was deleted because it had not been edited for over six months, so it can be restored if you like, but I am reluctant to do that because you will be wasting your time if you try to get it published as an encyclopedia article. Wikipedia is not a place for people to write about their own ideas and projects: the test for inclusion is called Wikipedia:Notability and requires references showing "significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject." Significant means more than just listing-type mentions; reliable excludes Youtube, Facebook, blogs, places where anyone can post anything; independent excludes the subject's own website, affiliated ones and anything based on press releases. The test is, have people not connected with the subject thought it significant enough to write substantial comment about? See also Wikipedia:Notability (summary).
- More background is explained at Wikipedia is not for things made up one day and Wikipedia:Conflict of interest.
- I usually point people who want to write about their micronations to Wikia, but I see you already have a page about Proxyth there. Micronation.org is another site you could use. JohnCD (talk) 09:20, 26 September 2016 (UTC)
- @JohnCD: I understand, I would like it to be restored because I would just like what I wrote so I can have it instead of re-writing it all, but if it is a struggle for you and will be a problem than disregard and thank you this helped me alot.
Hi JohnCD. I noticed you've posted at a couple of times at User talk:Dvdgzzrll. I'm wondering if anything needs to be done about this. Is it possible for someone to post a BLP violation about themselves? -- Marchjuly (talk) 02:02, 27 September 2016 (UTC)