|This user is busy in real life and may not respond swiftly to queries.|
|This user talk page might be watched by friendly talk page stalkers, which means that someone other than me might reply to your query. Their input is welcome and their help with messages that I cannot reply to quickly is appreciated.|
|If You're Bored|
25 October 2016
K6ka's talk page archives
|Threads older than 10 days may be archived by.|
This is not an encyclopedia article. If you find this page on any site other than Wikipedia, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated and that the user this page belongs to may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikipedia itself. The original page is located at
- 1 Editing News #3—2016
- 2 The Signpost: 14 October 2016
- 3 This week's article for improvement (week 42, 2016)
- 4 Tech News: 2016-10
- 5 Tech News: 2016-42
- 6 Global renamer userbox
- 7 This week's article for improvement (week 43, 2016)
- 8 Tech News: 2016-43
Editing News #3—2016
Since the last newsletter, the VisualEditor Team has mainly worked on a new wikitext editor. They have also released some small features and the new map editing tool. Their workboard is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the list of work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, releasing the 2017 wikitext editor as a beta feature, and improving language support.
- You can now set text as small or big.
- Invisible templates have been shown as a puzzle icon. Now, the name of the invisible template is displayed next to the puzzle icon. A similar feature will display the first part of hidden HTML comments.
- Categories are displayed at the bottom of each page. If you click on the categories, the dialog for editing categories will open.
- At many wikis, you can now add maps to pages. Go to the Insert menu and choose the "Maps" item. The Discovery department are adding more features to this area, like geoshapes. You can read more on MediaWiki.org.
- The "Save" button now says "Save page" when you create a page, and "Save changes" when you change an existing page. In the future, the "Save page" button will say "Publish page". This will affect both the visual and wikitext editing systems. More information is available on Meta.
- Image galleries now use a visual mode for editing. You can see thumbnails of the images, add new files, remove unwanted images, rearrange the images by dragging and dropping, and add captions for each image. Use the "Options" tab to set the gallery's display mode, image sizes, and add a title for the gallery.
The visual editor will be offered to all editors at the remaining 10 "Phase 6" Wikipedias during the next month. The developers want to know whether typing in your language feels natural in the visual editor. Please post your comments and the language(s) that you tested at the feedback thread on mediawiki.org. This will affect several languages, including Thai, Burmese and Aramaic.
The team is working on a modern wikitext editor. The 2017 wikitext editor will look like the visual editor and be able to use the citoid service and other modern tools. This new editing system may become available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices in October 2016. You can read about this project in a general status update on the Wikimedia mailing list.
Let's work together
Do you teach new editors how to use the visual editor? Did you help set up the Citoid automatic reference feature for your wiki? Have you written or imported TemplateData for your most important citation templates? Would you be willing to help new editors and small communities with the visual editor? Please sign up for the new VisualEditor Community Taskforce.
If you aren't reading this in your preferred language, then please help us with translations! Subscribe to the Translators mailing list or contact us directly, so that we can notify you when the next issue is ready. Thank you! Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 18:19, 14 October 2016 (UTC)
The Signpost: 14 October 2016
- News and notes: Fundraising, flora and fauna
- Discussion report: Cultivating leadership: Wikimedia Foundation seeks input
- Technology report: Upcoming tech projects for 2017
- Traffic report: Debates and escapes
- Recent research: A 2011 study resurfaces in a media report
- Featured content: Variety is the spice of life
This week's article for improvement (week 42, 2016)
16:42, 17 October 2016 (UTC)
Global renamer userbox
- @Ks0stm: Ooh, shiny! Thanks for showing your support! —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 22:01, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
This week's article for improvement (week 43, 2016)
17:39, 24 October 2016 (UTC)