Wikipedia talk:Motto of the day/Guidelines
|There is a related discussion at Wikipedia talk:Motto of the day/Archive 5#New guidelines.|
I have some concerns about...
...and they are listed below. But, I think that it is a good idea.
- IMHO it's better to call it guidelines more than rules
- "open to all editors to nominate" AND REVIEW "mottos"
- "Any motto that is not related to Wikipedia will not be accepted." This is untrue! I'm not saying that it's not right, but if a motto has already been used or contains external links, but, for some strange reason, it has the consensus of the editors, then it must be approved.
- What I'm saying it here is that it's a clear WP:SNOW and therefore impossible for a motto liek this to be supported, like the 'drug free is the way to be', which both me and Nutiketaiel had opposed and I closed it as a WP:SNOW. Kayau Odyssey HUCK FINN to the lighthouse BACK FROM EXAMS 11:52, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
"Anyone can vote for approval." We don't vote. Vote is a naughty word. We try to achieve consensus. Some of the people who approve the mottos seem to think its just a vote, but it's not. These guidelines need to reflect that. Nutiketaiel (talk) 12:32, 1 February 2010 (UTC)
- Oh, in case you haven't notice, that paragraph was from WP:MOTD/N. Didn't make it up myself. :) Kayau Odyssey HUCK FINN to the lighthouse 13:09, 2 February 2010 (UTC)
- By the way, while I know that meta:Voting is evil and Wikipedia is no democracy, the word 'naughty' can be, ahem, misleading. Kayau Odyssey HUCK FINN to the lighthouse 13:13, 2 February 2010 (UTC)
- What is misleading? Voting is bad, and we shouldn't do it. I was unaware that that was a paragraph from the current guidelines, but that is irrelevant. It needs to change. Nutiketaiel (talk) 18:38, 2 February 2010 (UTC)
Maybe a note should be made where to use the snowball clause (btw, this is a form of IAR). It should be used only if it is clear that the motto is going to be approved or declined per unanimous consensus. Also as a guide this should also be more than 2 votes but its up to the editors judgement. Simply south (talk) 18:29, 1 February 2010 (UTC)
- In my opinion, that is quite unecessary given that the reader understands what a 'snowball's chance in hell' or 'a cat in hell's chance' or 'not thet ghost of a chance' means. Kayau Odyssey HUCK FINN to the lighthouse 11:36, 3 February 2010 (UTC)
What will be the new name
OK, except for some minor concerns, this set of guidelines is more or less ready. Problem is, what will it be called when we move it into the project namespace?I've put some possibilities down here: Kayau Odyssey HUCK FINN to the lighthouse 12:42, 4 February 2010 (UTC)
- Comment - I support "WP:Motto of the day/Guidelines," while turning all the other ones you mentioned into redirects to it. Guidelines is the most appropriate term for this document, and I think calling them "General Guidelines" would just be redundant. Nutiketaiel (talk) 15:21, 4 February 2010 (UTC)
Done. It's not like we're going to get a consensus.