March 2006 - June 2006
- 1 Misc Comments
- 2 Organisation of Penwith data
- 3 Penwith Wikiproject
- 4 Restormel map
- 5 Templates
- 6 Cornwall Constitutional Status
- 7 Despondancy
- 8 My first Barnstar!
- 9 Good Work
- 10 Penwith Wikiproject
- 11 Thanks!!
- 12 Helpme--Template in your sandbox
- 13 Hello
Hi Mammal, Great work on the project page - I would be very happy for St Buryan to go forward for a go as a featured article as you suggest. Reedgunner
re Hayle vandalism; No problem. Are you familiar with the process of reverting? I find the edit commentary the most difficult thing, I've pretty much given up saying which edit I've reverted to...LessHeard vanU 19:56, 19 May 2006 (UTC)
- Perhaps not "proper" reverts (I am not an admin) - but simply going back through the history to find the last non-vandalised example of an article, opening that example and choosing "edit this page". Simply saving the historical article brings it back to the top of the pile, wiping out subsequent edits. As it is such a powerful tool there is a banner saying what can happen once you choose the "edit this page" option. Try it; open "history" here - see my previous contribution and open it by clicking the date. Choose "edit" and see the warning, save as you would an edit (without typing anything) and your talk page would have "lost" this edit.
- As I may be telling you something you already know you could leave it at that stage - but if you want to bring this back then do exactly the same again but choose the edit of "this" date and, hey presto, there it is...LessHeard vanU 22:15, 19 May 2006 (UTC)(just don't start any revert wars, okay *grin*)
Organisation of Penwith data
Thanks for the mesaage re Gulval - Gulval is part of the Penzance Civil Parish and is also its own chuch parish with a parochial parish council (chuch council) so the article should make that clear I think the way you phrased it in my talk section was a good way to explain it and I will have a go at clarifying it. Reedgunner
Thanks mammal your tidy up is alot better than my effort!!! Reedgunner
From LessHeard vanU talk page; What exactly did you have in mind here in terms of expanded content, and how much detail do you think appropriate? I will have a crack at this over the weekend - have fun at Flora day ;) Mammal4 12:34, 5 May 2006 (UTC)"
As the site contains the Railway Station, National Bus Co Station and local bus station all three services could usefully discussed in the one paragraph (or two if it warrants it). The excellent list of major stations accessed from Pz is a good example. A (linked) list of the Railway companies operating services from the station would help. Re the National Bus Co. (with link), a list of major destinations serviced again - with a possible note/link to the Royal Blues if deemed worthy. A note of the local bus service(s) operating services to St. Ives, Lands End and any other place deemed noteworthy. Other mentions could be given to the bus service operated by Isles of Scilly Steamship Co. to connect its air service from Lands End and the fact that the passenger ferry service to the Isles is within a short walking distance from the Station complex. In short, the stuff a traveller to or via Pz might find useful.
From the length of just my suggestion it may well be two or three paragraphs.LessHeard vanU 20:40, 5 May 2006 (UTC) ps. I'll do my best re Flora Day! grin.
Hello Mammal - The Gwinear Gwithian area is as you rightly say complicated. I will have a look at the local goverment side a bit later on and I will also attempt to have a go on the History aswell - By the way - The Hayle entry is giving me a headache - I can't decide if its great or just a block of text that no one reads!! What do you think?? Reedgunner
Hi Mammal4 , Thanks for the nomination RE local government etc - Feel free to tidy up my stuff as much as you want I think its just good to get more content in there - I will keep going !!
Have you any ideas how we could cordinate the Penwith updates etc user:reedgunner
- Whatever you decide, if I can help with spell/grammer checking (I'm far better seeing others typo's than my own) or anything else - feel free to ask.LessHeard vanU 20:50, 2 May 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks for your message. I'm already involved in The Beatles: Project and am not yet ready to join another - but the offer of help in spell/grammar checking still holds. If you need someone to look over an article at short notice, check to see if I'm free. Best wishes for the project! (Will there be an ageless, sexless etc. being at Flora Day this Saturday?)LessHeard vanU 12:45, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
- Afraid not - I will be in absentia this year as it is a bit of a walk for me at the moment. have fun without me :) Mammal4 19:32, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
Hello Mammal4, and thank you for your message. I'm afraid I don't know very much about Penwith - I concentrate on disambiguation and I was fixing the links to St Ives. That's now pretty much complete, and I've also corrected some links to St Hilary so they now point to St Hilary, Cornwall which will help you a bit. Good luck with your project CarolGray 19:08, 11 May 2006 (UTC)
Hi Mammal and thanks for inviting me! I would love to help with the Penwith WikiProject although I have recently become quite busy and wouldn't be able to put in a great deal of time. But of course I will help if I can :-) --Joowwww 14:01, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
Happy to help with this - where and when time allows. What needs sorting? Talskiddy 16:52, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
Nice one mammal I like the style alot and the "You don't have to agree with everything but there is no excuse for rudeness and these things are best solved through consensus building and compromise" section sums it up perfectly. Dont worry about the hot heads etc let them have their war!!! Its all politics to be honest and they should have a grown up point of view or get off wikipedia and leave it to people who are intersted in the facts - All the best!!Reedgunner 13:51, 4 June 2006 (UTC)
Cornwall Constitutional Status
However, unlike other England geography articles, most writers for Cornwall entries use Uk.
- In my experience this is not true. A small number of editors systematically edit out references to England from Cornish articles, often making them factually incorrect in the process, e.g. with Land's End, Sennen, St Just and Cape Cornwall. For example, the reference to England that you deleted from the intro to the Penzance article was added by a Mebyon Kernow member who recognises that Wikipedia is here to describe the world as it is, not how they wish it to be. Most of the early articles about Cornish places described them in England, until these few hard working editors removed all such references.
This is the consensus, and this opinion should be respected.
- Where was this consesus agreed upon? There is an appearence of consensus because a few POV pushers have devoted a lot of time to creating that appearence (and not much time to anything else on Wikipedia), which other Wikipedians without the vested interest have not been able to keep up with.
I have tried to come up with some compromise on this, by using both England and Uk in the description (e.g St Just, Cornwall, England; a constituent of the United Kingdom. I think that this is the fullest answer, and covers both points of view, however, I have had no feedback on this. Unless some sort of agreement is reached, then this will continue to crop up again and again. I'm sure we could all spend our time better by improving the depth of content in these articles, rather than reverting back and forth over this small point! :) Mammal4 20:39, 30 April 2006 (UTC)
- If you wish to discuss this further, Wikipedia talk:WikiProject UK geography may be the best place for it. Joe D (t) 04:20, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
Hi - I have added the following to Cornwall Talk - I don't know what you think about this idea?? I have been thinking long and hard about this UK / England business. I think when we present information in wikipedia we have a big responsibility because many internet users use this as a source for information. Firstly I agree there is strong feeling in Cornwall about its unique status and seperation from England - I feel it, support it and am actively involved in campaigning to sort it out. However we need to also consider political fact, at the moment Cornwall is subject to English and Welsh Law on a day to day basis and the control of UK government, natural Cornish Law (stannary etc) although never repealed is actively ignored by the UK authorities. Essentially we are in a big constitutional and poltical mess made worse by centuries of bumbling and self interest all we can do is examine the hard facts
Fact 1 - Cornwall was historicaly seperate from England Fact 2 - This has never been repealed Fact 3 - Cornwall is subject to English Law (English and Welsh law that is) Fact 4 - Cornwall is subject to the control of UK government Fact 5 - The Duke of Cornwall and the Duchy are offices and establishments of the UK crown and previously the English Crown. Fact 6 - Cornwall is culturally seperate from England. Fact 7 - Despite wide spread support and the efforts of the Cornish people no devolved DEMOCRATIC cornish body exists yet.
My proposal would be that a common description should be something like this
[Town Name], Cornwall, England (disputed), UK.
The 'disputed' would then link to the 'constitutional status of cornwall page' with a mature debate about history, current position etc. I don't like it any more than Pediac does to be truthfull !! If I was presenting my own work only I would say that Cornwall alone was sufficient but I am not and we need to be balanced however personally distasteful we find another position user:reedgunner
- No, we can't have "disputed" because that just sounds daft. Cornwall in in England. Some people may not like that, some people may want to change that, but that is a FACT. This endless debate about Cornwall is quite silly. Yes it is a special county and that should be stated, but this "Wiki-war" about it seceeding the English counties is ridiculous. David 15:35, 20 May 2006 (UTC)
I had no idea that those contributors to Cornish articles who use same to only promote their concepts of "(anti)nationalism" were a source of irritation to you (I read your entry on Reedrunners talkpage). May I suggest a couple of things? Firstly, don't get involved - I would imagine that neither side is much interested in arriving at concensus. Since this is antiWikipedian then, secondly, you could refer this matter to some senior admins and the like; if the matter cannot be sorted by the debating parties then some policy may have to be imposed - or perhaps a few people banned for a while to cool things down. Lastly, after a quick reference to Reedrunner and the other editor that has signed up to the Project, you can make the issue part of project Policy. It doesn't mean that people won't vandalise/revert, but if they stay out of the project then they are obviously are not interested in anything other than their own interests.
Like I said, leaving them to their own devices for a while may be a good idea. It is unlikely there will have been any progress made should you return. LessHeard vanU 21:16, 4 June 2006 (UTC) ps. I will keep this page watched for a while if you feel the need to reply.
My first Barnstar!
Hi Mammal looks like to penwith wikiproject is beginning to look very good in recognition of the work yo have put into this I would like to award you this.
|The Original Barnstar|
|for your hard work on the Penwith Geography project and coming up with the idea in the first place Reedgunner 17:08, 3 June 2006 (UTC)|
The Restormel map looks great to me!
Please accept this Barnstar for your work on Cornish subjects and your maps on Wikipedia!
- I'm probably only going to play a small part to be honest, I have lived in the North all of my life, but regularly visit Penwith on holiday. I should be able to make a few contributions and hopefully I can upload a few of my photographs to add to the articles.
- Dan1980 15:48, 8 June 2006 (UTC)
- I have just created a Userbox for members:
- Dan1980 16:07, 8 June 2006 (UTC)
- The photos are mainly "tourist" type photos of the landscape: Cape Cornwall, Porthgwarra, cliffs around Botallack, St Ives, Marazion and St Michael's Mount, Portheras Cove, Porth Nanven.
- I have a few aerial shots taken from the Scilly helicopter too - Land's End, Penzance, Porthcurno (though not as good as the one that has already been uploaded) and Cot Valley area (taken from inland and quite misty!).
- I've also got several photos of the Isles of Scilly.
- I'll be uploading most of the photos to the Wikimedia Commons when I get chance, but if there are any you're particularly interested in, let me know and I'll do them first.
- Dan1980 19:05, 8 June 2006 (UTC)
I have added a table of non-parish articles requiring improvement. (Here) It is by no means complete, so feel free to add to it any others that you know about. Might be worth merging it with your "to do" template so that they're all in the same place.
Also, what does the "status" rating in the parish article table refer to? I assume that it's some sort of rating based on the quality of the article, but what exactly do the numbers mean? — Dan1980 19:51, 11 June 2006 (UTC)
- I've added loads more articles to the table now including the ones from your template. I think that there are probably loads more that I've missed, so if you spot any please add them to the table. — Dan1980 23:01, 11 June 2006 (UTC)
Cheers for the barnstar! The sections could still do with a bit of a tidy, especially the main page, but hopefully it is a bit easier to navigate now. Dan1980 15:31, 17 June 2006 (UTC)
Hi, Was having a really bad day and the barnstar lifted my mood beyond measure!!! Many thanks and looking forward to working on the project some more Reedgunner 17:49, 13 June 2006 (UTC)
Helpme--Template in your sandbox
Unfortunately, I am not able to do anything with the template to get the border around the image. I do not think that it is supposed to go around the entire image, because I am looking at another template with the same type of setup, and the border does not go behind the image. I am going to take the helpme off your page. If you have any more questions, please contact me. --No1lakersfan 13:02, 21 June 2006 (UTC)
- I took a look at the template. The image has a white background, so would look quite weird sitting in a green field. But you could ask at the Help desk if you still want to know how to do it (I don't know).--188.8.131.52 13:12, 21 June 2006 (UTC) That was me, I must have gotten logged out (probably for making that terrible green field joke. I repent.)--Commander Keane 13:15, 21 June 2006 (UTC)
- On that same note, the background would be covered up by the image anyway, and I can not figure out how to change the background behind the image. It looks fine the way it is. I also suggest talking to people at the help desk if you would like more help. --No1lakersfan 13:23, 21 June 2006 (UTC)
--Bhadani 14:24, 23 June 2006 (UTC)
- Nothing in particular. I just saw you wanted to smile. After all we are human beings. --Bhadani 15:00, 24 June 2006 (UTC)