- 1 Welcome
- 2 Instructions
- 3 Reward board post
- 4 Addenda to the MRB constant article
- 5 Pic for MRB constant article
- 6 Irrationality of the MRB constant
- 7 The "since then" section to the MRB constant article to Maxal
- 8 A favor asked of Giftlite
- 9 Your user page
- 10 Reward Board
- 11 Re:Marvin Ray Burns' user page
- 12 Thanks for the idea
- 13 A kitten for you!
- 14 Rewards board
- 15 Cut image
- 16 New image for MRB Constant
- 17 MRB-Gif
- 18 MRB First 100 points
Feel free to post your questions to me below.
Reward board post
I temporarily removed your post because it needs to be clarified and rendered in the requested formatting. What is the MRB Contest? Is it even notable enough to have its own article? How substantial an article is needed to merit the award? Please specify the exact barnstar(s) offered. Thanks. —Eustress talk 20:22, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
- Dear Eustress - If one can't find out what the MRB Constsnt is perhaps I shouldn't have posted it. I don't know if it is notable enough to have its own article. I will find out when or if an article is posted and not deleted. I haven't decided what barnstar to give. If one who can write the article won't without knowing which barnstar I will give, then they simply wont write it. So please restore the offer. Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 00:31, 23 April 2009 (UTC)
Hello again. I've been looking more into you Reward Board challenge and would like to help out (either the Content Creativity Barnstar or the E=mc2 Barnstar would probably be appropriate, but you can make the call). First of all, you are wise to be transparent as the constant's author and request that another create the page, as it would likely be speedily deleted otherwise (see WP:SPAMMER, etc.). However, I reviewed your comments here and am still not sure this constant is notable enough for its own article, as Wikipedia is an encyclopedia and not a publisher of original thought (see WP:NOT#OR). Therefore, in order to help me establish notability, please provide me with references to reliable sources that discuss the MRB Constant (your personal website could be referenced but could not be the sole supporting source; see Wikipedia:RS#Self-published_sources); please render the sources in WP:Cite web format. If I feel notability can be established, I'll create a draft of the article at User:Eustress/MRB Constant and ask your input before launching it system-wide and nominating it for DYK. Best regards —Eustress talk 20:54, 1 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sounds good. E=mc2 Barnstar Sounds good too. Some references: S. R. Finch, Mathematical Constants, Cambridge, 2003, pp. 448-452; http://sensawave.com/manuals/SENSAWAVE-reference/SENSAWAVE-reference_28.html; http://www.irancivilcenter.com/en/tools/units/math_const.php; http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A037077; http://pi.lacim.uqam.ca:16080/piDATA/mrburns.txt; and last, from my website, http://www.marvinrayburns.com/what_is_mrb.doc. I'll post one or two more references later. Thank you Eustress. Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 23:00, 1 May 2009 (UTC). Here is one more reference. You should find it useful. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MRBConstant.html.
- Okay, I've started working here. You can lend a hand there if you would like, and please lend any further input on here. —Eustress talk 18:01, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
←Okay, I think it's starting to shape up (see User:Eustress/MRB Constant). A stub-sized article is probably all we can get out of the information provided, but I think it does the job nicely. What do you think? —Eustress talk 15:49, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- I made a small interjection.
- Looks good. Let me know when you think it's ready for me to launch. Keep in mind that after it is posted in mainspace, per WP:AB, you will only really be able to modify the article indirectly (by posting suggested changes on the talk page, contacting another editor, or emailing Wikipedia). —Eustress talk 17:42, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
Addenda to the MRB constant article
- I'm not sure how useful this addition would be. Sensawave does not appear to be notable, and keep in mind that WP:GACR states that articles should stay focused on the topic without going into unnecessary detail. The article already does a sufficient job conveying the constant's bona fide existence. However, I feel any further improvements to the article should be aimed at responding to Charles Matthews' inquiry (see diff): Why is this constant remarkable? Parenthetically, if you ever suggest a reference be incorporated into an article, please aid the editors by rendering it in WP:Cite web format. Best regards —Eustress talk 22:39, 7 June 2009 (UTC)
- I took "Sensawave" out of my errata and addenda section. There is something in the works at one of the two major general math software companies. If it comes through and if they let me then I will post something about it in the addendum section. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Marburns (talk • contribs) 23:34, 7 June 2009 (UTC)
Pic for MRB constant article
Eustress,I just thought you could use an image of me about the time I first described the MRB constant. You can find it at User:Marburns. If it is not used within the next few weeks, I will ask for a deletion.Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 21:52, 19 July 2009 (UTC)
Irrationality of the MRB constant
Hi maxal. I'm glad to see you helping improve the MRB constant article. You asked about the irrationality of the constant. That got me thinking and I wrote Steven Finch ( Clay Mathematics Institute Book Fellow and an expert on rationality and transcendence of constants), and he wrote me back with the following suggestion:
>Hi, Such proofs can be extremely difficult. Recall, for example, that the irrationality of the Euler-Mascheroni constant remains an open problem!
I think you should say likewise for MRB, unless someone has actually written down a rigorous proof.
Perhaps someone can explain that, somehow, in the article. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Marburns (talk • contribs) 19:38, 25 January 2011 (UTC)
- If irrationality is not proved, it has to be stated as such. It is at least misleading to call a number irrational if its irrationality is not proved. Maxal (talk) 11:30, 26 January 2011 (UTC)
- Per WP:AB, in clear-cut case, I corrected the statement concerning irrationality.Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 20:12, 1 February 2011 (UTC)
The "since then" section to the MRB constant article to Maxal
From your edit summary I take it that you thought the references used in saying the MRB constant has been put in tables at such and such place are not widely accepted in a scholarly atmosphere. However, I think they are more like original source references and are therefore useful. They aren’t merely telling you that someone in authority said the constant was used in those tables, but rather one can check for him or herself that it was in there. Furthermore, those were not just tables that were copies of Wikipedia’s table (like there are many of now) but they were developed before the MRB constant was put on Wikipedia and thus show how the knowledge of the MRB constant was passed around before it was on Wiki. In fact, at my personal website I have a strong Iranian following from the Iranian table. I’m not saying you really should restore those lines that you deleted; I’m only asking that you consider either doing that or perhaps adding a better clause to the article to convey the same information. Best wishes, Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 05:46, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
- First, those tables are not WP:reliable sources. Second, it is not notable whether the constant is mentioned there. Maxal (talk) 12:06, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
A favor asked of Giftlite
Nice to finally meet you Giftlite. To avoid conflict of interest, I am hoping that someone would be interested enough in posting a line for the MRB constant in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_constants_(sorted_by_continued_fraction_representation). I am writing you because you have previously edited it and have been helpful on the MRB constant article.
Over the past 11+ years I've occasionally given thought to a symbol for the MRB constant. Finally I have decided on MRB, since M is already taken. MRB is used for its symbol in my new demonstration at http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/HowNormalIsTheMRBConstant/. In the MRB constant talk page I have a section about the continued fraction representation of the MRB constant with the expansion as computed by Wolfram Alpha.
To see where M is used: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MadelungConstants.html.
The original investigator of the MRB constant Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 23:35, 23 March 2011 (UTC)
Your user page
Hey there, my name is Achowat and I heard you were looking for help improving your Userpage. I'd love to help, but I don't know what you're looking for. Just let me know, and I'd be happy to give it the old college try. Achowat (talk) 13:37, 16 October 2012 (UTC) Hello. You have a new message at Achowat's talk page.
Re:Marvin Ray Burns' user page
Thanks for the idea
|Thank you, http://www.perfscipress.com/papers/UniversalTOC25.pdf, I'll be using it as soon as posible. Ignacitum (talk) 08:28, 1 August 2013 (UTC)|
A kitten for you!
Very interesting, said the cat. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022247X05005883 Series representations for some mathematical constants. Thank you very much.
Excuse me Marburns. You have something up on the Reward Board that expired on the 25th. Did someone actually accomplish getting the reward done or is it just considered unfulfilled? GamerPro64 17:05, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
- I think Achowat fixed my user page as good as it can be for now. Thank You.Marvin Ray Burns (talk) 23:04, 6 February 2014 (UTC)
|Wave to infinit|
|Cropped image by right and bottom
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BykFZ57zm4W-aWcyUkpFOWpEZEE/edit?usp=sharing Ignacitum (talk) 12:36, 8 February 2014 (UTC)
New image for MRB Constant
I uploaded the new image: MRB in Octave2.png, but the publication has given different results:
Fr:Constantes et fonctions mathématiques (Error, the new version is invisible)
Es:Constantes Matemáticas (Error, the new version is invisible)
On the Mathematical constants and functions page
!!! HAPPY 2015 !!!!
- I think that is great!
MRB First 100 points
Please check this page and fix the errors MRB constant