User talk:Mojoworker

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Hello Mojoworker, and Welcome to Wikipedia!

Please remember to sign your name on talk pages by clicking Button sig.png or using four tildes (~~~~); this will automatically produce your username and the date. Also, please do your best to always fill in the edit summary field. Below are some useful links to facilitate your involvement.

Happy editing! VanTucky Talk 18:51, 9 October 2007 (UTC)

Getting started
Finding your way around
Editing articles
Getting help
How you can help


Contents

Page Triage newsletter[edit]

Hey guys!

Thanks to all of you who have commented on the New Page Triage talkpage. If you haven't had a chance yet, check it out; we're discussing some pretty interesting ideas, both from the Foundation and the community, and moving towards implementing quite a few of them :).

In addition, on Tuesday 13th March, we're holding an office hours session in #wikimedia-office on IRC at 19:00 UTC (11am Pacific time). If you can make it, please do; we'll have a lot of stuff to show you and talk about, including (hopefully) a timetable of when we're planning to do what. If you can't come, for whatever reason, let me know on my talkpage and I'm happy to send you the logs so you can get an idea of what happened :). Regards, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 23:48, 8 March 2012 (UTC)

New Page Triage newsletter[edit]

Hey all!

Thanks to everyone who attended our first office hours session; the logs can be found here, if you missed it, and we should be holding a second one on Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 18:00 UTC in #wikimedia-office. I hope to see you all there :).

In the meantime, I have greatly expanded the details available at Wikipedia:New Page Triage: there's a lot more info about precisely what we're planning. If you have ideas, and they aren't listed there, bring them up and I'll pass them on to the developers for consideration in the second sprint. And if you know anyone who might be interested in contributing, send them there too!

Regards, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 00:20, 14 March 2012 (UTC)

help triage some feedback[edit]

Hey guys.

I appreciate this isn't quite what you signed up for, but I figured as people who are already pretty good at evaluating whether material is useful or not useful through Special:NewPages, you might be interested :). Over the last few months we've been developing the new Article Feedback Tool, which features a free text box. it is imperative that we work out in advance what proportion of feedback is useful or not so we can adjust the design accordingly and not overwhelm you with nonsense.

This is being done through the Feedback Evaluation System (FES), a tool that lets editors run through a stream of comments, selecting their value and viability, so we know what type of design should be promoted or avoided. We're about to start a new round of evaluations, beginning with an office hours session tomorrow at 18:00 UTC. If you'd like to help preemptively kill poor feedback, come along to #wikimedia-office and we'll show you how to use the tool. If you can't make it, send me an email at okeyes@wikimedia.org or drop a note on my talkpage, and I'm happy to give you a quick walkthrough in a one-on-one session :).

All the best, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 21:33, 20 March 2012 (UTC)

Welcome[edit]

Gnome-help-browser.svg

Hi, Mojoworker, welcome to the Article Rescue Squadron! We are a growing community of Wikipedia editors dedicated to identifying and rescuing articles and content that have been nominated for deletion. Every day hundreds of articles are deleted, many rightfully so. But many concern notable subjects and are poorly written, ergo fixable, and should not be deleted. We try to help these articles and content to quickly improve and address the concerns of why they are proposed for deletion. This covers a lot of ground and your help is appreciated!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the talk page, and we will be happy to help you.

And once again — Welcome! Northamerica1000(talk) 18:06, 29 March 2012 (UTC)

A big NPT update[edit]

Hey! Big update on what the developers have been working on, and what is coming up:

coding

  • Fixes for the "moved pages do not show up in Special:NewPages" and "pages created from redirects do not show up in Special:NewPages" bugs have been completed and signed off on. Unfortunately we won't be able to integrate them into the existing version, but they will be worked into the Page Triage interface.
  • Coding has been completed on three elements; the API for displaying metadata about the article in the "list view", the ability to keep the "patrol" button visible if you edit an article before patrolling it, and the automatic removal of deleted pages from the queue. All three are awaiting testing but otherwise complete.

All other elements are either undergoing research, or about to have development started. I appreciate this sounds like we've not got through much work, and truthfully we're a bit disappointed with it as well; we thought we'd be going at a faster pace :(. Unfortunately there seems to be some 24-72 hour bug sweeping the San Francisco office at the moment, and at one time or another we've had several devs out of it. It's kind of messed with workflow.

Stuff to look at

We've got a pair of new mockups to comment on that deal with the filtering mechanism; this is a slightly updated mockup of the list view, and this is what the filtering tab is going to look like. All thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome on the NPT talkpage :). I'd also like to thank the people who came to our last two office hours sessions; the logs will be shortly available here.

I've also just heard that the first functional prototype for enwiki will be deployed mid-April! Really, really stoked to see this happening :). We're finding out if we can stick something up a bit sooner on prototype.wiki or something.

I appreciate there may be questions or suggestions where I've said "I'll find out and get back to you" and then, uh. not ;p. I sincerely apologise for that: things have been a bit hectic at this end over the last few weeks. But if you've got anything I've missed, drop me a line and I'll deal with it! Further questions or issues to the usual address. Thanks, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 17:05, 3 April 2012 (UTC)


You have new message/s Hello. You have a new message at Dennis Brown's talk page. Dennis Brown (talk) 01:20, 10 April 2012 (UTC)

Your HighBeam account is ready![edit]

Good news! You now have access to 80 million articles in 6500 publications through HighBeam Research. Here's what you need to know:

  • Your account activation code has been emailed to your Wikipedia email address.
    • Only 407 of 444 codes were successfully delivered; most failed because email was simply not set up (You can set it in Special:Preferences).
    • If you did not receive a code but were on the approved list, add your name to this section and we'll try again.
  • The 1-year, free period begins when you enter the code.
  • To activate your account: 1) Go to http://www.highbeam.com/prof1; 2) You’ll see the first page of a two-page registration. 3) Put in an email address and set up a password. (Use a different email address if you signed up for a free trial previously); 4) Click “Continue” to reach the second page of registration; 5) Input your basic information; 6) Input the activation code; 7) Click “Finish”. Note that the activation codes are one-time use only and are case-sensitive.
  • If you need assistance, email "help at highbeam dot com", and include "HighBeam/Wikipedia" in the subject line. Or go to WP:HighBeam/Support, or ask User:Ocaasi. Please, per HighBeam's request, do not call the toll-free number for assistance with registration.
  • A quick reminder about using the account: 1) try it out; 2) provide original citation information, in addition to linking to a HighBeam article; 3) avoid bare links to non-free HighBeam pages; 4) note "(subscription required)" in the citation, where appropriate
  • HighBeam would love to hear feedback at WP:HighBeam/Experiences
  • Show off your HighBeam access by placing {{User:Ocaasi/highbeam_userbox}} on your userpage
  • When the 1-year period is up, check applications page to see if renewal is possible. We hope it will be.

Thanks for helping make Wikipedia better. Enjoy your research! Cheers, Ocaasi t | c 20:53, 13 April 2012 (UTC)

DSS[edit]

Would switching to semi-protected for the DSS article help a bit? Seems most of these era switches are done by fly-by-night IP users and not registered users. Seems to be an ongoing issue and the most common edit to the article these days. — al-Shimoni (talk) 03:51, 17 April 2012 (UTC)

It might be worth a try to have it semi-protected for a time—it may deter the era-warriors. If the activity resumes after protection expires, we can reexamine the situation. Do you want to request it or should I? Mojoworker (talk) 13:31, 18 April 2012 (UTC)
Although I know the process exists, I'm not certain on how the request process actually is performed; I've been editing for over four years, but have not gotten too far into the procedural workings. I would be interested to know, though. — al-Shimoni (talk) 14:59, 18 April 2012 (UTC)
There are two ways that I know of to request semi-protection—ask your favorite Admin, or request it at Wikipedia:Requests for page protection. It appears there's a backlog there however. Do you have an Admin that you've worked with in the past? That might be the best place to start. You can reference this conversation in the request if you think it makes sense. Or, if you prefer, I can make the request. Thanks. Mojoworker (talk) 15:14, 18 April 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You have new messages at Cyberpower678's talk page.
Message added 20:55, 21 April 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

cyberpower ChatAbsent 20:55, 21 April 2012 (UTC)

You've got mail![edit]

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. Please check your email – you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{YGM}} template.

cyberpower ChatAbsent 20:49, 21 April 2012 (UTC)

Wikipedia Stories Project[edit]

Hi!

My name is Victor and I'm a storyteller with the Wikimedia Foundation, the non-profit organization that supports Wikipedia. I'm chronicling the inspiring stories of the Wikipedia community around the world, including those from readers, editors, and donors. Stories are absolutely essential for any non-profit to persuade people to support the cause, and we know the vast network of people who make and use Wikipedia have so much to share. I found your username from the Highbeam application list.

I'd very much like the opportunity to interview you to tell your story, with the possibility of using it in our materials, on our community websites, or as part of this year’s fundraiser to encourage others to support Wikipedia. Please let me know if you're inclined to take part in the Wikipedia Stories Project, or if you know anyone with whom I should speak.

Thank you for your time,

Victor Grigas

user:Victorgrigas

vgrigas@wikimedia.org

Victor Grigas (talk) 00:00, 26 April 2012 (UTC)

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You have new messages at Moonriddengirl's talk page.
Message added 11:39, 29 April 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

New Pages update[edit]

Hey Mojoworker :). A quick update on how things are going with the New Page Triage/New Pages Feed project. As the enwiki page notes, the project is divided into two chunks: the "list view" (essentially an updated version of Special:NewPages) and the "article view", a view you'll be presented with when you open up individual articles that contains a toolbar with lots of options to interact with the page - patrolling it, adding maintenance tags, nominating it for deletion, so on.

On the list view front, we're pretty much done! We tried deploying it to enwiki, in line with our Engagement Strategy on Wednesday, but ran into bugs and had to reschedule - the same happened on Thursday :(. We've queued a new deployment for Monday PST, and hopefully that one will go better. If it does, the software will be ready to play around with and test by the following week! :).

On the article view front, the developers are doing some fantastic work designing the toolbar, which we're calling the "curation bar"; you can see a mockup here. A stripped-down version of this should be ready to deploy fairly soon after the list view is; I'm afraid I don't have precise dates yet. When I have more info, or can unleash everyone to test the list view, I'll let you know :). As always, any questions to the talkpage for the project or mine. Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 23:24, 5 May 2012 (UTC)

Barnstar[edit]

Compass barnstar.png The Guidance Barnstar
Dear Mojoworker, thanks for your kind words on my talk page, including your good faith and advice to make me a better Wikipedia editor. I wish the best to you and yours, AnupamTalk 16:51, 9 May 2012 (UTC)

New Page Triage prototype released[edit]

Hey Mojoworker! We've finally finished the NPT prototype and deployed it on enwiki. We'll be holding an office hours session on the 16th at 21:00 in #wikimedia-office to show it off, get feedback and plot future developments - hope to see you there! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 03:32, 13 May 2012 (UTC)

New Page Triage/New Pages Feed[edit]

Hey all :). A notification that the prototype for the New Pages Feed is now live on enwiki! We had to briefly take it down after an unfortunate bug started showing up, but it's now live and we will continue developing it on-site.

The page can be found at Special:NewPagesFeed. Please, please, please test it and tell us what you think! Note that as a prototype it will inevitably have bugs - if you find one not already mentioned at the talkpage, bring it up and I'm happy to carry it through to the devs. The same is true of any additions you can think of to the software, or any questions you might have - let me know and I'll respond.

Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 13:16, 22 May 2012 (UTC)

Counter-Vandalism Unit in the Signpost[edit]

The WikiProject Report would like to focus on the Counter-Vandalism Unit for a Signpost article. This is an excellent opportunity to draw attention to your efforts and attract new members to the project. Would you be willing to participate in an interview? If so, here are the questions for the interview. Just add your response below each question and feel free to skip any questions that you don't feel comfortable answering. Multiple editors will have an opportunity to respond to the interview questions, so be sure to sign your answers. If you know anyone else who would like to participate in the interview, please share this with them. Have a great day. -Mabeenot (talk) 04:51, 27 May 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You have new messages at Wikipedia talk:Counter-Vandalism Unit.
Message added 23:10, 30 May 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Please also invite others to comment on this. —cyberpower ChatOnline 23:10, 30 May 2012 (UTC)

User:Scott Delaney[edit]

Changed his name, issues came up again, [1], I had to block an IP who got rude with him over tagging as well. Just keeping you in the loop. Just not much I can do at this point.

Thanks Dennis. I'll try to keep an eye on him. Mojoworker (talk) 19:07, 6 June 2012 (UTC)

I apologize for reverting edits that were constructive. I promise to be more careful from now on.--Scott Delaney (talk) 22:58, 6 June 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You have new messages at Scott Delaney's talk page.
Message added 00:41, 7 June 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Scott Delaney (talk) 00:41, 7 June 2012 (UTC) You will find there an Apology for All the vandalism mistakes I made.--Scott Delaney (talk) 00:43, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

WP:AN[edit]

I'm about to file something at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard regarding our friend. Dennis Brown - © 03:14, 9 June 2012 (UTC)

Scott[edit]

I've added a plan at WP:AN#Disruptive Editing (CIR issue with) User:Scott Delaney that I think you will approve of. As before, it only requires you and I observe from a distance. It is a bit of a last chance, but perhaps it will work out well. Of course, we both hope so. Dennis Brown - © 23:12, 12 June 2012 (UTC)

Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I saw this morning on the AN thread that he's only 14. That explains much. And i saw that Adjwilley accepted your call for a mentor – I considered it, but I'm busy writing a proposal, so haven't been doing much else today, and If I get the work, I may be scarce for a bit... I'm heading out the door, but I'll read your latest update when I get back. Mojoworker (talk) 23:24, 12 June 2012 (UTC)

WP:CVUN[edit]

I modified some parameters for the bot task for additional information please feel free to change it to how like. Please also help find support for this task otherwise the bot will be declined.—cyberpower ChatOnline 20:40, 21 June 2012 (UTC)

Hello[edit]

Just got your message. Thank you, I knew there had to be a more formal way of doing it. Yes, I was the original creator of the template, but I have since found it unnecessary to have a template (at least a campaignbox template) for Indian wars/conflicts in specific states/territories. Often, Indian wars occurred in multiple states/territories. For example, I dont think it would be a good idea to have the "Indian wars in California" campaignbox template in addition to an "Indian Wars in Nevada" template on the same article since none are really needed in the first place. It could be misleading as well I suppose, but, again, they just arent needed. I may make a new template(s) for the information, which would go at the bottom of the article, but I have yet to decide if that is really necessary either. Apart from my thanking you, I left this message just in case you were interested in understanding why I wish to have the templates deleted (I am not the best at explaining things and I know I did not leave an explanation like this anywhere else). Thanks for your concern.--$1LENCE D00600D (talk) 22:49, 9 July 2012 (UTC)

Questions about Wikipedia & SuggestBot[edit]

Hi, we’ve been running a research experiment with SuggestBot and would like to ask you some questions about Wikipedia and SuggestBot. You can find more information and the questions on this page. It should take less than ten minutes to respond. We would greatly appreciate if you had the time to participate! Regards, Nettrom (talk) 20:22, 23 July 2012 (UTC)

Hi again, just stopping by with a one-time reminder that we would really like to hear from you! Cheers, Nettrom (talk) 15:24, 1 August 2012 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You have new messages at Anderson's talk page.
Message added 23:51, 8 September 2012 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Calm As Midnight 23:51, 8 September 2012 (UTC)

Military history coordinator election[edit]

The Military history WikiProject has started its 2012 project coordinator election process, where we will select a team of coordinators to organize the project over the coming year. If you would like to be considered as a candidate, please submit your nomination by 14 September. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact one of the current coordinators on their talk page. This message was delivered here because you are a member of the Military history WikiProject. – Military history coordinators (about the projectwhat coordinators do) 09:32, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

Page Curation update[edit]

Hey all :). We've just deployed another set of features for Page Curation. They include flyouts from the icons in Special:NewPagesFeed, showing who reviewed an article and when, a listing of this in the "info" flyout, and a general re-jigging of the info flyout - we've also fixed the weird bug with page_titles_having_underscores_instead_of_spaces in messages sent to talkpages, and introduced CSD logging! As always, these features will need some work - but any feedback would be most welcome.

This is not a newsletter[edit]

This is just a tribute.

Anyway. You're getting this note because you've participated in discussion and/or asked for updates to either the Article Feedback Tool or Page Curation. This isn't about either of those things, I'm afraid ;p. We've recently started working on yet another project: Echo, a notifications system to augment the watchlist. There's not much information at the moment, because we're still working out the scope and the concepts, but if you're interested in further updates you can sign up here.

In addition, we'll be holding an office hours session at 21:00 UTC on Wednesday, 14 November in #wikimedia-office - hope to see you all there :). I appreciate it's an annoying time for non-Europeans: if you're interested in chatting about the project but can't make it, give me a shout and I can set up another session if there's enough interest in one particular timezone or a skype call if there isn't. Thanks! Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 11:10, 10 November 2012 (UTC)

did you vote?[edit]

hi there, your vote in ArbCom elections triggered a spoof CSRF alarm. Would you be so kind as to please confirm that you actually voted? :) Apologies for the inconvenience. Pundit|utter 07:41, 12 December 2012 (UTC)

Yes, I did vote for a small number of candidates - I think it was four in total. Mojoworker (talk) 14:50, 12 December 2012 (UTC)

Reminder: Snuggler IRC office hour - Friday, Jan. 4th[edit]

See you there!

--EpochFail(talk|work) 22:44, 31 December 2012 (UTC)

An invitation for you![edit]

Featured article collaboration.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You're invited to join WikiProject Today's article for improvement. If you're interested in participating, please add your name to the list of members. Happy editing! Northamerica1000(talk) 00:41, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

Mind your accusations[edit]

Thanks for contributing a dose of reality but don't accuse "both" of edit warring only to revert back to my original on identical grounds of BRD... the user has reverted twice as many times and has yet to justify 1) their original revert and 2) subsequent edit... on grounds other than what they wish WP:ERA says.—Machine Elf 1735 19:36, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

Didn't mean to accuse you – just trying to be somewhat even–handed. Basically, just trying to get you guys to discuss things. Mojoworker (talk) 22:14, 10 January 2013 (UTC)
Foremost, I appreciate your participation... Perhaps you hadn't noticed that I did wait for the user to reply... their accusation of personal attacks, WP:IDHT and failure to self-revert leave nothing to the imagination. Please note that you incorporated a rather significant proportion of the contentious edits into your own revert, which nearly tips the balance... probably why the user has acquiesced for the time being. Also note that they've yet to make a case, per the current WP:ERA, that a History of physics article should use BC/AD... surely if either, is not the secular qualifier to be expected? Absent any rational ground on which the current consensus could be reversed, entertaining their request for a delay as ideal, merely invites further obfuscation and disruption.—Machine Elf 1735 01:44, 11 January 2013 (UTC)

Progress on WP:Snuggle and work log[edit]

I've been making some progress on Snuggle development recently and I could use your feedback. Specifically, I've created a work log that I plan to update every time I get a chance to work on Snuggle. My intention is that you'll be able to watch that page to track my progress so I can get your feedback on features when they are early in development. The most recent entry (also the only entry) discusses new functionality for interacting with newcomers via Snuggle. I posted some mockups in the work log that show how I imagine the new features to work and I could use some feedback before I start writing the code. Thanks! --EpochFail(talkwork) 20:30, 27 January 2013 (UTC)

Pending release of Notifications[edit]

Hey Mojoworker :). I'm dropping you a note because you have signed up for the Notifications, or Echo, newsletter.

If all goes according to plan, we should be launching Echo on en-wiki either tomorrow, or next Tuesday - I'll drop a followup tomorrow when we know what's happening. Should the launch succeed, we'll begin the process of triaging bugs and gathering feedback on what features work, what cause problems, and what we should do next; I hope you'll help us out on these fronts by leaving any comments you might have on the talkpage.

Thanks, Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 22:04, 24 April 2013 (UTC)

Notifications box replacement prototypes released[edit]

Hey Mojoworker; Kaldari has finished scripting a set of potential replacements available to test and give feedback on. Please go to this thread for more detail on how to enable them. Okeyes (WMF) (talk) 15:01, 7 May 2013 (UTC)

flist[edit]

  • I put a different list up for flist just to see how things work there. We'll see how it goes. Cheers. • ServiceableVillain 09:12, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
Thanks, I'll take a look at the list you nominated. Mojoworker (talk) 04:30, 22 May 2013 (UTC)
    • Alas, I was rather curt when I was a FAC reviewer. And just as I feared, the FLIST reviewers have gathered their hurt feelings and spoken from them. My list will not pass. So, if the Civil War list is ever nominated, it would be best if my name were not on the nom, despite the nontrivial effort I have expended upon it. • ServiceableVillain 05:49, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
      • Unfortunate – not much feedback there. I'm going to be pretty busy for the next month, but after that I was thinking of asking MILHIST to do an A Class List review. I'll see if I can split out the casualty list before then...if no one beats me to it. Mojoworker (talk) 06:17, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
        • I didn't expect anything else. Well, maybe I had some small hopes, but only small ones. It does not matter. :-) I'm not going to engage in useless, protracted discussion.... As for the Civil war list, don't forget to add Dalton III some day soon. I may not be any help. I'm pretty busy. I am not doing anything on Wikipedia, no articles etc., and may drop off the radar completely again for a while. Good luck! • ServiceableVillain 06:23, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

(talk page stalker) My oppose has nothing to do with "hurt feelings", I didn't even know you'd reviewed any of my FACs? Perhaps it was with another account? The oppose has to do with my concerns that the list doesn't meet 3b. In all honesty, can you see the point of the main article, pretty much all of which is then repeated in the list article? That's what 3b is designed to avoid, particularly when the main article is barely a screen-length in size. And the opinion is of just one single editor (me, not "the FLIST reviewers" as you claim), we base our promotions on consensus, not one individual's opinion. If, User:ServiceableVillain, you're not going to try to work this through, I suggest you withdraw the nomination. The Rambling Man (talk) 15:51, 31 May 2013 (UTC)

Ah. Of course I am willing to work with constructive comments. The examples I gave... should I look at the parent articles to see how tiny they are? The tingTings or whomever?... is that article large?... as for FAC, one reviewer at flist is the precise reason why I will never review at FAC again (well, him and the FAC delegate relevant to that thread). I also thought I remembered you from another time... but if not, then I am sorry. • ServiceableVillain 04:33, 2 June 2013 (UTC)
I've got no idea who you are or what your grievances in previous accounts have been. It's got nothing to do with me, nothing to do with FLC, nothing to do with nomination. I'm not sure how many times you need to be told that the Ting Tings discog was deemed to be a reasonable fork from the main Ting Tings article. Given the size of the main article, there is no need to fork out the list in the case of the Harmon award. One article with a list is perfectly adequate, see Sakharov Prize or 1st Academy Awards or PDSA Gold Medal.... These don't have a "list of x winners" and a main article of "x", because there's too much overlap and not enough to justify two articles. That's why we have 3b. The Rambling Man (talk) 15:15, 2 June 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for May 29[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Louis Schalk, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page A-12 (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 12:22, 29 May 2013 (UTC)

WP:Snuggle is live at snuggle.grouplens.org[edit]

The snuggle logo

Snuggle, the newcomer socialization tool I've been building, is finally ready for general use. All you need to do to get started is point your browser to https://snuggle.grouplens.org. Let me know if you run into any trouble. I'll be watching WT:Snuggle. Or you can also just contact me directly. Thanks for your patience.

See also:

--EpochFail(talkwork) 19:46, 14 June 2013 (UTC)

IRC office hours for wiki-mentors and Snuggle users[edit]

Hi. We're organizing an office hours session with the Teahouse to bring in mentors from across the wiki to try out Snuggle and discuss it's potential to support mentorship broadly. The Snuggle team would appreciate it if you would come and participate in the discussion. We'll be having it in #wikimedia-officeconnect on Wed. July 17th @ 1600 UTC. See the agenda for more info. --EpochFail(talkwork), Technical 13 (talk), TheOriginalSoni (talk) 18:30, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

Hi! I just wanted to post a reminder that this discussion will be happening in about 24 hours. If you haven't already used Snuggle, I recommend giving it a try before the meeting. I'll be in #wikimedia-officeconnect a half hour early to answer any questions you have. --EpochFail(talkwork) 15:50, 16 July 2013 (UTC)

Athollgoon: Redlinks and Regimental Articles[edit]

I have received notification of your message to Athollgoon concerning the redlinks in the American Civil War articles. Adamdaley (talk) 01:12, 16 July 2013 (UTC)

I am very sorry if I have caused any inconveniences. I would love to help out with creating Regimental Articles. I am new here, and would love to learn how to create articles. Could one of you please help me in doing this? Athollgoon (talk) 01:27, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
Sure, I'd be happy to help you. I'm pretty busy the rest of the week, but I should have some time next week. In the meantime, take a look at WP:Your first article, and WP:Article development, and take a look at some of the existing regimental articles as well, to get an idea of how they are structured. Most of them got their start with material from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion by Frederick H. Dyer AKA Dyer's Compendium. Do you have any particular regiment in mind or a specific State or Territory? Let me know if you have any questions. Mojoworker (talk) 21:05, 17 July 2013 (UTC)
I would love to help create the 109th New York, because that was the regiment in which my relatives served. I would also like to help out with Pennsylvania and Missouri regiments. And editing the First Washington. Athollgoon (talk) 22:06, 17 July 2013 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Mojoworker. You have new messages at Anderson's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

FYI (For your information).--Anderson I'm Willing To Help 20:59, 21 July 2013 (UTC)

Strangesad[edit]

You were involved in a past discussion about this user, so you may be interested in this: WP:ANI#Request swift admin intervention to prevent further disruption to the Jesus article by User Strangesad.--FutureTrillionaire (talk) 00:06, 10 August 2013 (UTC)

WikiProject Military history coordinator election[edit]

Greetings from WikiProject Military history! As a member of the project, you are invited to take part in our annual project coordinator election, which will determine our coordinators for the next twelve months. If you wish to cast a vote, please do so on the election page by 23:59 (UTC) on 28 September! Kirill [talk] 17:31, 16 September 2013 (UTC)

Ensigns[edit]

I'd forgotten about that conversation. It would seem though, that we have a different understanding of the results of the discussion. As I understand it, the England / Ireland / Scotland ensigns were to be replaced with the Union Flag and that the other flags would be the national flag, not the civil or maritime ensign. That is how the the table at Challengers and defenders is currently configured. Did we decide otherwise for the yacht articles?

Trappist the monk (talk) 10:45, 26 September 2013 (UTC)

I had noticed lots of America's Cup related editing recently, coinciding with the interest in the just–finished edition of the Cup. While examining some of them I noticed a discrepancy in how the ensigns were being handled in the individual yacht articles. For example, Sceptre (yacht) was using the red ensign, while Endeavour (yacht) was not. I noticed you created Sceptre on 26 April 2012. I looked a little further and noticed Alinghi using the Swiss maritime ensign and the Shamrock series (Shamrock (yacht), Shamrock IV, Shamrock V) were all using the red ensign. While (in addition to Endeavour, Galatea (yacht), Cambria (yacht), etc. were still using the England / Ireland / Scotland country flags.
So, remembering the discussion from that time, I went back and looked at it. There was a very clear consensus to use the UK flag – Mattlore's: "I think using UK and the home countries flags is confusing and we should pick either style and stick to it. Based on the argument above for Shamrock and the modern challenges I have been convinced during this argument that the UK flag is the appropriate one" and Nuttyrave's: "Irish, Scottish and English clubs all represented under the Union flag is the simplest way forward". And, while most of the discussion concerned the table in the America's Cup article (and I think we are all in agreement on the style in use there), there were some complaints about the civil ensigns being difficult to distinguish when they were small. I did notice a couple of references to the individual yacht articles: your "For the individual articles, I likewise agree that the appropriate flag template is {{flag|United Kingdom|civil|size=48px}}.  United Kingdom" and my quote (discussing the table and the individual articles) "I would vote to use the United Kingdom for all the UK challenges and the civil ensigns on the individual yacht pages where the icons are larger." I didn't see any dissension there, and seeing that you changed the table and some of the individual yacht articles in that time-frame, I assumed that you just forgot about changing the others. So I went ahead and made them all consistently maritime ensigns (and UK where appropriate).
Now it's possible I misinterpreted something in the discussion, but I just went back and read through it all again, and I'm still coming to the same conclusion. Let me know what you think I've missed there. Oh, and congratulations on your adminship. I have a script that highlights the admin signatures and noticed yours was highlighted. I went and looked at your RfA, and it looked pretty close – sorry I didn't see it earlier, or I would've supported you. Glad you made it anyway. For all the talk about the Admin bit being no big deal, it sure seems some people think it is a big deal. I mean really, what did the people who !voted against you expect that you would do – start blocking people willy nilly? There's too much immaturity around here sometimes... I'm sure you'll "grow into" the other admin duties if you ever have the inclination, but I'm sure the project will be just fine either way. Mojoworker (talk) 17:50, 26 September 2013 (UTC)
Thank you.
I think that the discussion worked because we were able to stay on track and decide the one issue and that was the flag icons in the Challengers and defenders table. Even though we mentioned the individual articles, I don't see them as part of the decision.
I suppose that the argument could be made that we should look at how flags and burgees are used throughout the whole range of America's Cup-related articles for reasons of consistency. If and when that happens, I'll be interested in participating.
Trappist the monk (talk) 23:29, 26 September 2013 (UTC)
I don't know which would be more correct – my goal was to make them consistent. It was my understanding that the reason for using the national flags instead of the ensigns in the table was because, at the small size used in the table it was easier to tell the difference between the UK, Australia, and New Zealand national flags than their ensigns, while that wasn't an issue at the 300px size used in the individual articles...
In any case, after making the England / Ireland / Scotland ensigns consistent with the other articles using the red ensign, there were only a handful of articles using national flags, so those were changed to be consistent with the other ensigns. Mojoworker (talk) 20:04, 29 September 2013 (UTC)

Template:Blank WikiLove[edit]

Thanks for your messages Mojoworker & Stfg. Substitution or translusion (DEPRECATED) a part, there was a problem within the template footer message. Its code called BASEPAGENAME, which runs properly within the template page itself (and all of its subpages, sandbox included), of course, but not on user talk (and others) pages. I've fixed it by replacing
{{[[WP:SUBST|subst]]:[[Template:{{BASEPAGENAME}}|{{BASEPAGENAME}}]]}}
with
{{tls|Blank WikiLove}}
(as per other WikiLove templates). And, I've also added a default value→"this WikiLove template" for the "item" parameter (in case it is left blank by the poster).
I've made a series of tests here, and you can see the changes at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3ABlank_WikiLove&diff=577741779&oldid=504554247.
Happy editing! –pjoef (talkcontribs) 07:51, 20 October 2013 (UTC)

Advice[edit]

I appreciate your comments, but don't they belong on my talk page rather than the article's? Instaurare (talk) 05:53, 29 October 2013 (UTC)

Also, the accusations of the other editors are largely unfounded. See the edit history rather than the other editors' unsubstantiated, undiscussed claims. Instaurare (talk) 05:53, 29 October 2013 (UTC)
I was commenting on your editing of the McAuliffe‎ article – didn't look in depth at your edits at the Cuccinelli article, for example. Have you inserted similar criticisms there? Right or wrong, the other editors don't have the same clouded history that you do. Mojoworker (talk) 04:38, 30 October 2013 (UTC)

Kafziel arbitration case opened[edit]

You recently offered a statement in a request for arbitration. The Arbitration Committee has accepted that request for arbitration and an arbitration case has been opened at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Kafziel. Evidence that you wish the arbitrators to consider should be added to the evidence subpage, at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Kafziel/Evidence. Please add your evidence by December 29, 2013, which is when the evidence phase closes. You can also contribute to the case workshop subpage, Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Kafziel/Workshop. For a guide to the arbitration process, see Wikipedia:Arbitration/Guide to arbitration. For the Arbitration Committee, Callanecc (talkcontribslogs) 22:33, 15 December 2013 (UTC)

Vandalism by tagger[edit]

My apologies: I misread what was going on and had no intention of accusing User:Mojoworker of vandalism. I was in the middle of reverting a ton of very bad deletions sparked by 777sms's very bad tagging, and by the time I reached the Little Rock campaignbox, I'd gotten to the point that I was deeply doubting 777sms's good faith. Your tag is completely different: I disagree with it, but I do not doubt your good faith. I disagree with the deletion on three counts: (1) Copyright. This is the situation in which {{Copied}} is appropriate for the talk page, and the source page may not be deleted because it serves to provide attribution. (2) Speedy deletion criteria. When we merge page1 to page2, we normally turn page1 into a redirect, and redirects aren't eligible for any of the template criteria. (3) Since it had been used for 2+ years, it's better to leave it a redirect than to delete it, since deletion hurts the appearance of old revisions of pages using the original template, and even ignoring my other two "counts", there's nothing harmful that would necessitate deletion, so I don't see why we absolutely need to delete it. Nyttend (talk) 23:13, 21 December 2013 (UTC)

@Nyttend:No problem. Thanks for the explanation. At the time, I wasn't sure which course of action made more sense. As I mentioned on your talk page, keeping it as a redirect might prevent someone from recreating the Campaignbox in the future, and as you point out preserves the history. On the other hand, the template was erroneously created with the wrong name by a problematic sock... That's why I consulted with Moonriddengirl. After giving it some more thought, I agree that the current state of the template (existing as a redirect) is better than it being deleted. Mojoworker (talk) 23:44, 21 December 2013 (UTC)

New proposals at Wikipedia:Pending changes/Request for Comment 2014[edit]

Hello. Several new proposals have been submitted at Wikipedia:Pending changes/Request for Comment 2014 since you last commented on it. You are invited to return to comment on the new proposals. Jackmcbarn (talk) 01:14, 16 January 2014 (UTC)

Medicine[edit]

Medicine is available for hookworm. You are right in the sense that there is not now a world-wide eradication attempt going on against the disease. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 86.183.72.219 (talk) 10:52, 13 February 2014 (UTC)

Precious[edit]

Cornflower blue Yogo sapphire.jpg

wise cleanup
Thank you for quality articles on military history such as Battle of Pocotaligo, gnomish work on articles and fighting subtle vandalism, for illustrating "wise old thing" (with a ring to it), for working on cleanup in the tavern, - you are an awesome Wikipedian!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 11:50, 25 April 2014 (UTC)

A year ago, you were the 836th recipient of my PumpkinSky Prize, --Gerda Arendt (talk) 09:59, 25 April 2015 (UTC)

American politics arbitration evidence[edit]

Hi. You contributed to a recent RFC about this topic area. This message is to notify you that the arbitration proceedings at Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/American politics are underway, and evidence about all disruptive edits to articles within this topic is being accepted at the relevant case page. If you wish to submit evidence for the committee to consider in reaching its decision, please do so now. The evidence phase of the case ends soon, and evidence submitted after the deadline may not be considered. Further advice on submitting evidence, and what evidence the committee will accept, is linked at the top of the evidence page. Please contact me or the other drafting arbitrator if you require more time to submit evidence. Thank you. For the Arbitration Committee, AGK [•] 14:12, 10 May 2014 (UTC)

Photo request[edit]

Yes, Building C is still needed. Please check for a photo. Thanks! WhisperToMe (talk) 09:16, 12 May 2014 (UTC)

Thank you so much! WhisperToMe (talk) 22:52, 12 May 2014 (UTC)

The problem with undo ...[edit]

... is what if one part of the previous change was correct, and another part wrong, and simply undoing it in whole is just as bad as the previous change.

They did:

"South African Defence Force" -> "South African Defense Force"
"US Department of Defence" -> "US Department of Defense"

You reversed this to:

"South African Defense Force" -> "South African Defence Force"
"US Department of Defense" -> "US Department of Defence"

Now "South African Defense Force" is wrong, but so is "US Department of Defence". These are names and so not an WP:ENGVAR or WP:RETAIN matter. So who is winning here? :)

And, hey, I'm an ENGVAR nut (see recent edit - and yet even there it is unclear, as a Canadian First Nation organisation mentioned in the article has a name with 'organization' in it - confusing, and makes me nervous enough to go back and check again!) Shenme (talk) 05:01, 5 June 2014 (UTC)

Good catch. I didn't look at it closely enough. I had noticed the lede discussed Rhodesia and South Africa and so changed it back to British English (and the change I undid was linking to the redirect instead of South African Defence Force. I've changed the other one back to US Department of Defense. Mojoworker (talk) 05:24, 5 June 2014 (UTC)

The Wikipedia Library: New Account Coordinators Needed[edit]

Hi Books & Bytes recipients: The Wikipedia Library has been expanding rapidly and we need some help! We currently have 10 signups for free account access open and several more in the works... In order to help with those signups, distribute access codes, and manage accounts we'll need 2-3 more Account Coordinators.

It takes about an hour to get up and running and then only takes a couple hours per week, flexible depending upon your schedule and routine. If you're interested in helping out, please drop a note in the next week at my talk page or shoot me an email at: jorlowitz@gmail.com. Thanks and cheers, Jake Ocaasi via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:41, 20 June 2014 (UTC)

Informal note[edit]

Hey, I notice that you have HighBeam access and you seem to have a few topicons. That being said, if you are interested, I've created {{Wikipedia:HighBeam/Topicon}}. No reply to this message is necessary (and I won't see it unless you ping me), just wanted to let you know it was available. Face-smile.svg Happy editing! — {{U|Technical 13}} (etc) 23:58, 11 July 2014 (UTC)

Regarding Dating[edit]

Hello. Was curious about where to post query regarding use of BCE/CE; BC/AD; BC/E AD/CE. Because in an article that uses BCE/CE (which isn't widely used), I tried to make adjustments and was reverted (it was all AD). Then thought I'd insert AD/CE. I don't presume that there are problems with that, is there? If so, where do I post to do a vote? Thanks for the input! 164.107.217.46 (talk) 00:16, 30 September 2014 (UTC)Tom

Hi. I left the link to the relevant section of the Wikipedia Manual of Style in the edit summary when I undid your edit. The information is at WP:ERA. It's possible that CE can be removed if it doesn't result in ambiguity, but you should probably discuss it on the article talk page first. Let me know if you have any questions. Mojoworker (talk) 00:35, 30 September 2014 (UTC)

New Wikipedia Library Accounts Now Available (November 2014)[edit]

Hello Wikimedians!

The TWL OWL says sign up today :)

The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for, free, full-access accounts to published research as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for:

  • DeGruyter: 1000 new accounts for English and German-language research. Sign up on one of two language Wikipedias:
  • Fold3: 100 new accounts for American history and military archives
  • Scotland's People: 100 new accounts for Scottish genealogy database
  • British Newspaper Archive: expanded by 100+ accounts for British newspapers
  • Highbeam: 100+ remaining accounts for newspaper and magazine archives
  • Questia: 100+ remaining accounts for journal and social science articles
  • JSTOR: 100+ remaining accounts for journal archives

Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team 23:25, 5 November 2014 (UTC)

You can host and coordinate signups for a Wikipedia Library branch in your own language. Please contact Ocaasi (WMF).
This message was delivered via the Mass Message to the Book & Bytes recipient list.

New Wikipedia Library Accounts Now Available (December 2014)[edit]

Hello Wikimedians!

The TWL OWL says sign up today :)

The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for, free, full-access accounts to published research as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for:

Other partnerships with accounts available are listed on our partners page. Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team.00:25, 18 December 2014 (UTC)

You can host and coordinate signups for a Wikipedia Library branch in your own language. Please contact Ocaasi (WMF).
This message was delivered via the Mass Message tool to the Book & Bytes recipient list.

Please comment on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Cities/US Guideline[edit]

Hello! You have been randomly selected to receive an invitation to participate in the request for comment on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Cities/US Guideline. Should you wish to respond, your contribution to this discussion will be appreciated.

For tips, please see Wikipedia:Requests for comment § Suggestions for responding. If you wish to change the frequency or topics of these notices, or do not wish to receive them any longer, please adjust your entries at feedback request service. — Legobot (talk) 00:04, 20 February 2015 (UTC)

Books and Bytes - Issue 10[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 10, January-February 2015
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs)

  • New donations - ProjectMUSE, Dynamed, Royal Pharmaceutical Society, and Women Writers Online
  • New TWL coordinator, conference news, and a new guide and template for archivists
  • TWL moves into the new Community Engagement department at the WMF, quarterly review

Read the full newsletter

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:40, 4 March 2015 (UTC)

Please comment on Template talk:F1 driver results legend 2[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Template talk:F1 driver results legend 2. Legobot (talk) 00:03, 23 March 2015 (UTC)

A new reference tool[edit]

Hello Books & Bytes subscribers. There is a new Visual Editor reference feature in development called Citoid. It is designed to "auto-fill" references using a URL or DOI. We would really appreciate you testing whether TWL partners' references work in Citoid. Sharing your results will help the developers fix bugs and improve the system. If you have a few minutes, please visit the testing page for simple instructions on how to try this new tool. Regards, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:47, 10 April 2015 (UTC)

Please comment on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Israel Palestine Collaboration[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Israel Palestine Collaboration. Legobot (talk) 00:01, 24 April 2015 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CIX, April 2015[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 06:33, 26 April 2015 (UTC)

Books and Bytes - Issue 11[edit]

Wikipedia Library owl.svg The Wikipedia Library

Bookshelf.jpg

Books & Bytes
Issue 11, March-April 2015
by The Interior (talk · contribs), Ocaasi (talk · contribs), Sadads (talk · contribs), Nikkimaria (talk · contribs)

  • New donations - MIT Press Journals, Sage Stats, Hein Online and more
  • New TWL coordinators, conference news, and new reference projects
  • Spotlight: Two metadata librarians talk about how library professionals can work with Wikipedia

Read the full newsletter



MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 23:27, 4 May 2015 (UTC)

Please comment on Wikipedia talk:Naming conventions (Places in Bangladesh)[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Wikipedia talk:Naming conventions (Places in Bangladesh). Legobot (talk) 00:04, 9 May 2015 (UTC)

AdminHighlighter script is fixed[edit]

You asked to be notified here: User_talk:Padenton/adminhighlighter. Amalthea is back and has corrected the bug, so my version of the script and related pages are now deprecated. I'll probably CSD the scripts in about a week or so to give people some time to switch back to the script here: User:Amalthea/userhighlighter.js or here: User:Theopolisme/Scripts/adminhighlighter. ― Padenton|   19:28, 15 May 2015 (UTC)

The Bugle: Issue CX, May 2015[edit]

Full front page of The Bugle
Your Military History Newsletter

The Bugle is published by the Military history WikiProject. To receive it on your talk page, please join the project or sign up here.
If you are a project member who does not want delivery, please remove your name from this page. Your editors, Ian Rose (talk) and Nick-D (talk) 00:24, 21 May 2015 (UTC)

Please comment on Wikipedia:Village pump (policy)[edit]

The feedback request service is asking for participation in this request for comment on Wikipedia:Village pump (policy). Legobot (talk) 00:07, 24 May 2015 (UTC)