- 1 Welcome to Wikipedia!
- 2 Bathos
- 3 Oolong
- 4 A caution about misspellings
- 5 Edinburgh International Festival
- 6 Image copyright problem with Image:Scholarpedia16.png
- 7 Buffalo
- 8 William McGonagall: slightly less awkward phrasing
- 9 talkback
- 10 Disambiguation link notification for July 27
- 11 ArbCom elections are now open!
- 12 ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open!
Welcome to Wikipedia!
Hello Oolong, welcome to Wikipedia!
Here are some tips:
- Take a look at the Simplified Ruleset.
- Read the Tutorial, How to edit a page and the Manual of Style.
- Find out how to revert, move and merge pages.
- Sign your posts on talk pages using four tildes (~~~~).
- Add yourself to the New user log and a regional notice board
- Ask questions at the Village pump or Help desk.
- Use the Show preview button
- Provide an Edit summary
- Add the correct image copyright tag to any images you upload
- Create a User page
- Be bold
- Ignore all rules
If you feel a change is needed, feel free to make it yourself! Wikipedia is a wiki, so anyone (yourself included) can edit any article by following the Edit this page link. Wikipedia convention is to be bold and not be afraid of making mistakes. If you're not sure how editing works, have a look at How to edit a page, or try out the Sandbox to test your editing skills.
If, for some reason, you are unable to fix a problem yourself, feel free to ask someone else to do it. Wikipedia has a vibrant community of contributors who have a wide range of skills and specialties, and many of them would be glad to help. As well as the wiki community pages there are IRC Channels, where you are more than welcome to ask for assistance.
The examples that followed were, in fact, not examples of bathos at all. That's why there was a cleanup tag on the article. Some of the recently added material is worthwhile, but much of it is disorganized, unhelpful, and inappropriate. Upon this subject, I'm a bit of an expert. The term originated in a satire, and it cannot be divorced from its satirical context. The term is a pejorative, and hence any radical juxtaposition of high with low that is intended is not bathos. It is, instead, just humor. Pope was never guilty of bathos, but Ambrose Philips was. Geogre 14:01, 30 January 2006 (UTC)
Ni hao Oolong - I reverted one of your changes on the page about the tea that bears your name. It was regarding the translation of 乌. See my comments on the talk page. Sorry to have done it abruptly, as I didn't realize that you had already put so much thought into it. I think maybe the compromise would be to actually put in a sentence discussing what the name means, since a lot of people seem to be interested in it. Alexwoods 19:07, 4 May 2007 (UTC)
A caution about misspellings
Be aware of Wikpedia's Manual of Style as regards Commonwealth vs. American spellings. Changing every instance of a word you see to the spelling you natively use is discouraged... sometimes
vigorously vigourously.--Father Goose 16:36, 22 May 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, I know... but spelling analyse or electrolyse with a z is just WRONG! WRONG, I tells ya! It is etymologically unjustifiable! I hates it! But, yes, okay, it has actually been accepted as A Spelling by at least some dictionaries, for whatever twisted reason, and I will not be pursuing today's crusade any further. *sigh* --Oolong 22:57, 22 May 2007 (UTC)
Edinburgh International Festival
See discussion for further observations on the topic of whether the links for threeweeks and Fest should be there or not. BAK 09:48, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with Image:Scholarpedia16.png
Thank you for uploading Image:Scholarpedia16.png. However, it currently is missing information on its copyright status. Wikipedia takes copyright very seriously. It may be deleted soon, unless we can determine the license and the source of the image. If you know this information, then you can add a copyright tag to the image description page.
William McGonagall: slightly less awkward phrasing
Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Laoting County, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Mandarin. Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:51, 23 November 2015 (UTC)