User talk:Philippe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents




Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Archiving[edit]

Did it again. :-) -Philippe (talk) 18:20, 13 June 2015 (UTC)


Please delete this edit and edit summary[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Karl_Klug&curid=31658515&diff=672163636&oldid=670779637--TM 19:18, 19 July 2015 (UTC)

Yeah, that seems reasonable. Certainly not done to improve the encyclopedia. Thanks for pointing it out. -Philippe (talk) 19:51, 19 July 2015 (UTC)

comment[edit]

With respect Philippe, I suggest that we should not be speculating on an editor's mental health; even when tempered with what may or may not be best for it. — Ched :  ?  07:10, 7 October 2015 (UTC)

Ched, you're quite right. I will remove that portion. Not sure what I was thinking there. Thank you. -Philippe (talk) 07:12, 7 October 2015 (UTC)


UTRS account[edit]

Hi Philippe! Just to let you we're deactivating the all-access UTRS account associated with Philippe (WMF). If you want, you're absolutely welcome to request a new account from Philippe and we'll activate you right away, as well as flag you as a CU. Thanks!  · Salvidrim! ·  02:21, 4 November 2015 (UTC)

File:Philippe.JPG listed for discussion[edit]

A file that you uploaded or altered, File:Philippe.JPG, has been listed at Wikipedia:Files for discussion. Please see the discussion to see why it has been listed (you may have to search for the title of the image to find its entry). Feel free to add your opinion on the matter below the nomination. Thank you. Stefan2 (talk) 00:07, 5 November 2015 (UTC)

ArbCom elections are now open![edit]

Hi,
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:57, 23 November 2015 (UTC)

Precious anniversary[edit]

Cornflower blue Yogo sapphire.jpg

word cloud
Thank you, Philippe, for serving WMF, giving galaxies of barnstars, for fighting vandalism and nonsense ("We could really use your help to create new content, but ..."), for reminding us of the colourful word cloud and for clear words of reaching out, - repeating: you are an awesome Wikipedian (4 March 2010)!

--Gerda Arendt (talk) 08:55, 15 December 2014 (UTC)

A year ago, you were recipient no. 1063 of Precious, a prize of QAI! --Gerda Arendt (talk) 06:54, 15 December 2015 (UTC)

Two years ago, you were recipient no. 1063 of Precious, --Gerda Arendt (talk) 07:18, 15 December 2016 (UTC)

Requesting rollback[edit]

The user Helmoony is mass-removing "Tunisian arabic" in articles that was in place since several months. after the debate in Tunisia portal in september, an admin finally decided to grant the mention of Tunisian arabic for the names of people and places. Things were so settled since then, but the user Helmoony is recently removing all the mentions, could you please do something about it ? Thank you.Zangouang (talk) 16:23, 5 January 2016 (UTC)

I will be glad to take a look, but honestly it will likely not happen until this evening at the earliest. If you need quicker action, you might want to leave a note on WP:ANI for an administrator there to have a look. -Philippe (talk) 19:21, 5 January 2016 (UTC)


UTRS Account Request[edit]

I confirm that I have requested an account on the UTRS tool. -Philippe (talk)

  • I've just activated your account, and asked our developper to flag you as CU. Glad to have you back! :)  · Salvidrim! ·  15:37, 15 February 2016 (UTC)

Question[edit]

As a former employee of WMF, you could perhaps give me some insight. You know the results of the harassment survey that were published (I saw your reaction on the mailing list). You may or may not know that those results were hugely inflated because they counted all responses, including those where people gave a value of zero (for the question: how many times did you experience the following types of harassment).

Quick overview:
The first two days of the survey, people couldn't skip items that didn't apply (Kalliope (WMF) reported on nov 4 that it had been fixed). This will have resulted in a lot of zero answers present.
The raw data of the results confirm that zero values were included: the average and standard deviation for revenge porn and hacking are mathematically impossible with only values between 1 and 100. The revenge porn results contain at least 381 zero's. It's a weak lower bound, the actual number cannot be determined from the average and standard deviation (doxxing for example could contain even more zero's, or none at all, the lower average/sdev ratio makes it impossible to conclude anything )
The revised report simply dropped the percentages (respondents who reported each type of harassment) and instead gives the averages for each type. This is useless information, because people gave inflated numbers. The average and sdev for hacking for example are only possible if the 14 highest responses add up to more than 1000 (49% of total). People having their account hacked more than 70 times?? The most likely explanation imo is that with 10 sliders from 0 to 100, people will have indicated the importance, rather than the number of incidents (or the sliders were difficult to move accurately, or a few trolls..).
There has been no straight answer to the claim, it seems obvious to me that they don't want to admit the error and give the correct results. The qualtrics application may or may not provide a way to count non-zero results (the help page for slider controls mentions limited analytic tools as a possible drawback ), I don't know, but the site explicitly mentions the option to download all data if users want to perform additional processing.
The most likely reason why they won't address the issue, imo, is that the real figures are much lower, and releasing them would raise the question why they didn't double-check the very unlikely results.

That's the short summary. Few people (outside the WMF) know the exact details I think, my first (erroneous) hypothesis (a technical error, forcing users to enter non-zero values) was based on a feedback post from nov 3 (saying he could only proceed to the next question after entering non-zero values for all the ten types listed), and it was this version that people posted on reddit and on Jimbo's talk page. People reading the survey talk page could also easily get the wrong idea. The two versions would give the same results btw, in both cases all surveys from 2 to 4 november would be affected. The big difference (which I should have realized much sooner): it's pretty unlikely that hundreds of participants would submit wrong answers because they couldn't finish the survey otherwise, and only one of them would report it.

My question: if you accept this version of events, do you think there is a chance that the WMF will publish the results eventually, or will they ignore such request because the impression of a "botched survey" is preferable to the alternative? I've seen little interest from the community, Patrick Earley's reactions (on the survey page and on his talk page) don't answer my questions, so I've given up trying to get answers on-wiki. I'm currently considering which science journalists or statistics blogs might be interested in doing a story about it.

BTW: Do you think any of the resignations last week (and the comments from Siko) could be related, or am I simply too focused on this case? Prevalence 12:45, 15 February 2016 (UTC)

Response[edit]

I should begin by saying that while this report was issued by members of my former team, I had nothing to do with its execution, and was not around for most of the time period in question, so I am not privy to any details about how this was constructed or what design choices were made.
You ask
  • if you accept this version of events, do you think there is a chance that the WMF will publish the results eventually, or will they ignore such request because the impression of a "botched survey" is preferable to the alternative? - I do not yet know enough to know if I accept this version of events. However, my experience with this team suggests that if errors were made, they will be corrected.
  • Do you think any of the resignations last week (and the comments from Siko) could be related, or am I simply too focused on this case? - No, my understanding is that none of them related in any way to this case. Rather, they were exactly what they appear to be... a mix of people moving on for various reasons. I would place this case's importance in those decisions at around 0%. -Philippe (talk) 12:52, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
In my scenario the decision would have come from the top, not from inside Support and Safety or CE. It hasn't exactly been a good news show lately, maybe they wanted to avoid yet another WMF controversy on top of it. Thank you for your answer. Prevalence 13:34, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
I think that in the fullness of time, we will realize that this is exactly what it appears to be: errors that were made at an unfortunate time. Sometimes with hoofbeats you chase zebras... but sometimes, they're just horses. This is all horse, I think. -Philippe (talk) 13:49, 15 February 2016 (UTC)
When Patrick Earley gives "the data and graphs weren't as informative as they should have been" as motivation for removing the percentages and displaying the averages instead, what else can one conclude? I changed my opinion about the team not responsible for the decision btw, I just noticed that even though these averages are useless as averages, they do correspond fairly well to the number of users who would have reported each type of harassment (if you take 30 as corresponding to 100%, most values seem reasonable). So the team could easily justify it for themselves, no harm done...
Doesn't change much as far as I'm concerned, for someone who understands averages, the results for the rare types are still absurd. And they introduced another error: saying that the statistics are based on 1215 respondents, instead of on the specific number of responses received for each of the ten questions. For hacking there were 760 responses, which gives a total of 2044 (760*2.69) reported incidents, not 3268 (2.69*1215). Prevalence 15:13, 15 February 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 09 March 2016[edit]

A cup of coffee for you![edit]

Cup-o-coffee-simple.svg Just wanted to give you thanks for conducting that gigantic CU at Isla Riordan, and some coffee to help you stay awake through it. Much appreciated! GABHello! 22:48, 13 March 2016 (UTC)
Aww, thanks! Much appreciated.  :) -Philippe (talk) 22:50, 13 March 2016 (UTC)
Ping me if you need a hand. Risker (talk) 22:52, 13 March 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 16 March 2016[edit]

Egaplaicesp and Tirgil34 are the same person[edit]

I salute your decisiveness when recommending a duckblock for Gushtasp as a Egaplaicesp sock. Egaplaicesp is however definately the same person as the prominent sockmaster Tirgil34. Having this fact established by an administrator would be of great help to future SPIs. Aside from their same behaviour of promoting Turkic at the expense of Indo-European history in Central Asia through edit warring and extensive socking, their connection can be proven with solid evidence:

Regards. Krakkos (talk) 21:30, 21 March 2016 (UTC)

While I agree that it would be useful for future purposes, I have a fairly strong belief that checkuser is a tool of last resort - when we can demonstrate account relatedness in other ways (as we very clearly can here), there is no need to use Checkuser. Using it probes into the activities of anyone using the same IP, and any innocent parties deserve to have their privacy protected as much as possible. Therefore, where we have behavioral evidence that can clearly connect users, I always consider that a better way to do so. I agree with you that this evidence is damning, and would consider it to make the connections. -Philippe (talk) 04:33, 22 March 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 23 March 2016[edit]

The Signpost: 1 April 2016[edit]

User:Gmartin1122/Wikia[edit]

Philippe, can you explain what exactly is going on at User:Gmartin1122/Wikia? I was just dating the draft and it looks like you created a WP:UP#COPIES of Wikia with incomplete attribution which is fine but why is it in the userspace of another editor who's only edit was a COI notice and why are you working on it there? -- Ricky81682 (talk) 02:52, 9 April 2016 (UTC)

Gmartin is a coworker of mine at Wikia. We are collaborating on a new draft of the article to present on the talk page as a beginning point for an update to the article, in hopes that we can convince some folks to make the necessary updates. That is also why both of us placed COI notices up pertaining to Wikia. We won't be directly editing the article, of course, just providing a draft as a starting point, on the talk page. -Philippe (talk) 02:57, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks. The userspace choice was a bit unusual to me. -- Ricky81682 (talk) 03:05, 9 April 2016 (UTC)
Sure, I absolutely understand that. Obviously, we're working very hard to be sure that we are within policy here - when we take the suggestions to the article talk, we will again disclose our COI, and use the appropriate templates. At the same time, because this article is a derivative work of the one that's already there, the attribution issue will also be cured. If there's anything we can do to make this more transparent, I welcome the suggestion. (Obviously, the intention was to lay all of this out when we go to the article talk, you just beat us to it - and beat me to getting the article cleaned up and ready as well, btw.) -Philippe (talk) 03:07, 9 April 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 04 August 2016[edit]

The Signpost: 18 August 2016[edit]

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, August 31[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

Hi folks,

We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We make sure to allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks. We will also have a brief presentation for your education and possible enjoyment:

  • Former EFF intern Marta Belcher will discuss crowdsourcing her Stanford Law School graduation speech using a wiki. The "WikiSpeech" was the subject of prominent national media attention in 2015, and more than half of her classmates contributed to writing and editing the commencement address via a wiki.

Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, August 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:05, 29 August 2016 (UTC)

Tonight: Live and archived links for Bay Area WikiSalon[edit]

Bay Area WikiSalon, Wednesday, August 31:

If you cannot join us in person tonight, we are streaming (and later archiving) the presentation by former EFF intern Marta Belcher. We expect her to be live starting between 6:30 or 6:45 p.m. PDT and talking and taking questions for about 30 minutes thereafter.

Here is the YouTube stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t8V79s2-og
Here is the link to join the Hangout on Air: https://hangouts.google.com/call/ezrol7dafjfwxfh2ilpkjyxoaue

You can search for it on the Commons and YouTube later too.

Wayne, Pete, Ben, and Stephen

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:50, 31 August 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 06 September 2016[edit]

Extended confirmed protection[edit]

Padlock-blue.svg Hello, Philippe. This message is intended to notify administrators of important changes to the protection policy.

Extended confirmed protection (also known as "30/500 protection") is a new level of page protection that only allows edits from accounts at least 30 days old and with 500 edits. The automatically assigned "extended confirmed" user right was created for this purpose. The protection level was created following this community discussion with the primary intention of enforcing various arbitration remedies that prohibited editors under the "30 days/500 edits" threshold to edit certain topic areas.

In July and August 2016, a request for comment established consensus for community use of the new protection level. Administrators are authorized to apply extended confirmed protection to combat any form of disruption (e.g. vandalism, sock puppetry, edit warring, etc.) on any topic, subject to the following conditions:

  • Extended confirmed protection may only be used in cases where semi-protection has proven ineffective. It should not be used as a first resort.
  • A bot will post a notification at Wikipedia:Administrators' noticeboard of each use. MusikBot currently does this by updating a report, which is transcluded onto the noticeboard.
Please review the protection policy carefully before using this new level of protection on pages. Thank you.
This message was sent to the administrators' mass message list. To opt-out of future messages, please remove yourself from the list. 17:49, 23 September 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, September 28[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

Hi folks,

We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, Wikipedia and Wikimedia enthusiasts gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We will have no formal agenda to allow people to freely share ideas and perhaps learn about Wikipedia through hands-on editing. Co-organizer Ben Creasy will be looking at election-related articles to enhance the information available in the upcoming November elections.

Official logo of Wiki Loves Monuments

Co-organizer Stephen LaPorte has suggested doing an upload-a-thon for Wiki Loves Monuments. Niki, the California coordinator for WLM will be in attendance. WLM is an annual event and the official dealine is Friday the 30th for submissions to count towards awards.

Or, you can grab a couch, a booth, or a stool and do your own thing.

Wikimedia community logo (public domain)

Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on future speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, September 2016. Mark your calendars now for the 3rd Wednesday in October, the 26th, when we will have a brief presentation.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:35, 24 September 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 29 September 2016[edit]

The Signpost: 14 October 2016[edit]

You are invited to a Wednesday evening event in SF[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

Hi folks,

Please copy and share this on other talk pages. We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, Wikipedia and Wikimedia enthusiasts gather at the Wikimedia Foundation lounge to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We will have no meaty agenda this month, but we will allow a brief period for:

  • Open mic for anybody who attended WikiConference North America 2016 in San Diego last week and wants to share their takeaway
  • Question & answer
  • Open mic for announcements
  • Maybe a focus on some topical election article editing with Ben?

Or, you can grab a couch, a booth, a stool or counter and do your own thing.

Wikimedia Community Logo.svg

Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on future speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, please see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, October 2016.


PS: Mark your calendars ahead now for the 3rd Wednesday in November, the 30th (the week after Thanksgiving), at 6 p.m. when our WikiSalon will host a super awesome top secret mystery guest mingling in our midst. We will announce specifics at the upcoming WikiSalon.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen, Jacob, and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:51, 22 October 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 4 November 2016[edit]

Two-Factor Authentication now available for admins[edit]

Hello,

Please note that TOTP based two-factor authentication is now available for all administrators. In light of the recent compromised accounts, you are encouraged to add this additional layer of security to your account. It may be enabled on your preferences page in the "User profile" tab under the "Basic information" section. For basic instructions on how to enable two-factor authentication, please see the developing help page for additional information. Important: Be sure to record the two-factor authentication key and the single use keys. If you lose your two factor authentication and do not have the keys, it's possible that your account will not be recoverable. Furthermore, you are encouraged to utilize a unique password and two-factor authentication for the email account associated with your Wikimedia account. This measure will assist in safeguarding your account from malicious password resets. Comments, questions, and concerns may be directed to the thread on the administrators' noticeboard. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 20:33, 12 November 2016 (UTC)

A new user right for New Page Patrollers[edit]

Hi Philippe.

A new user group, New Page Reviewer, has been created in a move to greatly improve the standard of new page patrolling. The user right can be granted by any admin at PERM. It is highly recommended that admins look beyond the simple numerical threshold and satisfy themselves that the candidates have the required skills of communication and an advanced knowledge of notability and deletion. Admins are automatically included in this user right.

It is anticipated that this user right will significantly reduce the work load of admins who patrol the performance of the patrollers. However,due to the complexity of the rollout, some rights may have been accorded that may later need to be withdrawn, so some help will still be needed to some extent when discovering wrongly applied deletion tags or inappropriate pages that escape the attention of less experienced reviewers, and above all, hasty and bitey tagging for maintenance. User warnings are available here but very often a friendly custom message works best.

If you have any questions about this user right, don't hesitate to join us at WT:NPR. (Sent to all admins).MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:48, 15 November 2016 (UTC)

ArbCom Elections 2016: Voting now open![edit]

Scale of justice 2.svg Hello, Philippe. Voting in the 2016 Arbitration Committee elections is open from Monday, 00:00, 21 November through Sunday, 23:59, 4 December to all unblocked users who have registered an account before Wednesday, 00:00, 28 October 2016 and have made at least 150 mainspace edits before Sunday, 00:00, 1 November 2016.

The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to impose binding solutions to disputes between editors, primarily for serious conduct disputes the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the authority to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail.

If you wish to participate in the 2016 election, please review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 22:08, 21 November 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 4 November 2016[edit]

Everybody is invited to the November 30 Bay Area WikiSalon[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

Details and RSVP here.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, and Checkingfax | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 00:54, 29 November 2016 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon series: Everybody is invited this Wednesday evening at 6[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki and open-source enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

Before and after the brief presentation we allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks.


In addition, this month we will have:

  • a brief presentation from User:Cullen328 (Jim Heaphy) about the Wikipedia Teahouse
  • spontaneous lightning talks from the floor
  • community announcements from the floor

For details and to RSVP see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, December 2016


See you soon! Ben Creasy and Checkingfax | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

+++++
P.S. Any help spreading the word through social media or other avenues is most welcome! We plan to announce this on various sites and invite various groups; if you would like to join in, check our meta planning page, and please note any announcements you are sending out: meta:Monthly WikiSalon in San Francisco#Announcements and promotion

Please feel free to add to, refine, reorganize or edit the above linked page: it is a wiki!

We need more helpers and organizers, so if you see a need, please jump in, or talk to us about it! You can add your username to the meta page where appropriate, or create a new role!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:44, 12 December 2016 (UTC)

Reminder invitation to the December Bay Area WikiSalon[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

Hi, everybody.

We are excited to remind you of the ninth in the Bay Area WikiSalon series that is coming up this Wednesday evening at 6 p.m.

  • Details (RSVP suggested) here (RSVP helps us know how much food and drink to bring in)

What is a WikiSalon? A monthly safe and inclusive meatspace event conducted in organized chaos and we all clean up the mess afterwards. Livestream links for the presentation are available during presentation months, and will be forthcoming for those of you that cannot attend. December is a presentation month.


Hope to see you there! Wayne (and Ben) - co-organizers
Any last minute questions or suggestions? Please ping or email Ben or me. | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 05:10, 20 December 2016 (UTC)

The Signpost: 22 December 2016[edit]

Archived link for December Bay Area WikiSalon[edit]

Hi, y'all. In case you missed it and want to watch the archive reel; the topic was The Wikipedia Teahouse and the presenter was well respected Wikimedian Jim Heaphy [[User:Cullen328]]

  • Archive link (also includes intro, announcements, and a lightning talk)
  • Details about Bay Area WikiSalon for December here

The full title of Jim's presentation was: Welcoming and Helping New Editors: A Month at the Wikipedia Teahouse: an overview of the Teahouse and an analysis of over 300 Teahouse conversations during the month of August, 2016

Jim gave a longer version of this presentation in October at WikiConference North America 2016 in San Diego, California.


Cheers! Co-organizer Checkingfax - and co-organizer Ben Creasy | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)


PS: Mark your calendars now for Sunday, January 15 at 2 p.m. which will be Wikipedia's 16th Birthday party hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon! Details to follow soon. If you want to help plan it, get in touch with us ASAP!

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:43, 23 December 2016 (UTC)

You are invited to a birthday bash to Celebrate Wikipedia's 16th Birthday![edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
Cut the cake

Wikipedia Day 16 SF is a fun Birthday bash and edit-a-thon on Sunday, January 15, 2017, hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon at the Wikimedia Foundation's Chip Deubner Lounge in the South of Market Street business district.

Wikimedia Community logo

For details and to RSVP, please see: Wikipedia:Meetup/SF/Wikipedia Day 2017

The San Francisco gathering is one of a number of Wikipedia Day celebrations worldwide.


See you soon! Ben Creasy, Checkingfax and Slaporte | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this notice)


PS: We need volunteers to help make this a fun and worthwhile event. Please add your name to the Project page, and what you can offer. It is a wiki, so please make direct edits to the page.

Bay Area WikiSalon usually meets the last Wednesday evening of every month as an inclusive and safe place to collaborate, mingle, munch and learn about new projects and ideas.

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:52, 8 January 2017 (UTC)

Reminder invitation to the Wikipedia Day 16 birthday bash & edit-a-thon[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
Cut the cake

Wikipedia Day 16 SF is a fun Birthday bash and edit-a-thon on Sunday, January 15, 2017, hosted by Bay Area WikiSalon at the Wikimedia Foundation's Chip Deubner Lounge in the South of Market Street business district and everybody is invited!

Wikimedia Community logo
Details and RSVP here

See you Sunday! Ben Creasy, Checkingfax and Slaporte


PS: We still need more volunteers to help make this a fun and worthwhile event. Please add what you can offer and your name to the Project page or Talk about it. It is a wiki, so please make direct edits to the Project page. The event is already growing due to volunteers that have stepped up so far. Face-smile.svg


Bay Area WikiSalon meets one evening of every month as an inclusive and safe place to collaborate, mingle, munch or learn about new projects and ideas.

Note: the previous invitation had a bum wikilink. Sorry! | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this notice) | MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:43, 13 January 2017 (UTC)

The Signpost: 17 January 2017[edit]