- 1 WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 4
- 2 The Signpost: 17 June 2015
- 3 Tech News: 2015-26
- 4 The Signpost: 24 June 2015
- 5 Articles you might like to edit, from SuggestBot
- 6 Tech News: 2015-27
- 7 The Signpost: 01 July 2015
- 8 Please comment on Talk:Kosovo
- 9 Tech News: 2015-28
- 10 The Wikipedia Library needs you!
WikiProject X Newsletter • Issue 4
Hello friends! We have been hard at work these past two months. For this report:
For the first time, we are happy to bring you an exhaustive, comprehensive WikiProject Directory. This directory endeavors to list every single WikiProject on the English Wikipedia, including those that don't participate in article assessment. In constructing the broadest possible definition, we have come up with a list of approximately 2,600 WikiProjects. The directory tracks activity statistics on the WikiProject's pages, and, for where it's available, statistics on the number of articles tracked by the WikiProject and the number of editors active on those articles. Complementing the directory are description pages for each project, listing usernames of people active on the WikiProject pages and the articles in the WikiProject's scope. This will help Wikipedians interested in a subject find each other, whether to seek feedback on an article or to revive an old project. (There is an opt-out option.) We have also come up with listings of related WikiProjects, listing the ten most relevant WikiProjects based on what articles they have in common. We would like to promote WikiProjects as interconnected systems, rather than isolated silos.
A tremendous amount of work went into preparing this directory. WikiProjects do not consistently categorize their pages, meaning we had to develop our own index to match WikiProjects with the articles in their scope. We also had to make some adjustments to how WikiProjects were categorized; indeed, I personally have racked up a few hundred edits re-categorizing WikiProjects. There remains more work to be done to make the WikiProject directory truly useful. In the meantime, take a look and feel free to leave feedback at the WikiProject X talk page.
What have we been working on?
- A new design template—This has been in the works for a while, of course. But our goal is to design something that is useful and cleanly presented on all browsers and at all screen resolutions while working within the confines of what MediaWiki has to offer. Additionally, we are working on designs for the sub-components featured on the main project page.
- A new WikiProject talk page banner in Lua—Work has begun on implementing the WikiProject banner in Lua. The goal is to create a banner template that can be usable by any WikiProject in lieu of having its own template. Work has slowed down for now to focus on higher priority items, but we are interested in your thoughts on how we could go about creating a more useful project banner. We have a draft module on Test Wikipedia, with a demonstration.
- New discussion reports—We have over 4.8 million articles on the English Wikipedia, and almost as many talk pages as well. But what happens when someone posts on a talk page? What if no one is watching that talk page? We are currently testing out a system for an automatically-updating new discussions list, like RFC for WikiProjects. We currently have five test pages up for the WikiProjects on cannabis, cognitive science, evolutionary biology, and Ghana.
- SuggestBot for WikiProjects—We have asked the maintainer of SuggestBot to make some minor adjustments to SuggestBot that will allow it to post regular reports to those WikiProjects that ask for them. Stay tuned!
- Semi-automated article assessment—Using the new revision scoring service and another system currently under development, WikiProjects will be getting a new tool to facilitate the article assessment process by providing article quality/importance predictions for articles yet to be assessed. Aside from helping WikiProjects get through their backlogs, the goal is to help WikiProjects with collecting metrics and triaging their work. Semi-automation of this process will help achieve consistent results and keep the process running smoothly, as automation does on other parts of Wikipedia.
Want us to work on any other tools? Interested in volunteering? Leave a note on our talk page.
The database report which lists WikiProjects according to the number of watchers (i.e., people that have the project on their watchlist), is back! The report stopped being updated a year ago, following the deactivation of the Toolserver, but a replacement report has been generated.
The Signpost: 17 June 2015
- Arbitration report: An election has consequences
- Discussion report: A quick way of becoming an admin
- Featured content: Great Dane hits 150
- News and notes: Labs outage kills tools, self; news in brief
- WikiProject report: We are back - Western Australia speaks
15:24, 22 June 2015 (UTC)
The Signpost: 24 June 2015
- From the editor: The Signpost tagging initiative
- News and notes: Board of Trustees propose bylaw amendments
- Featured content: One eye when begun, two when it's done
- Arbitration report: Politics by other means: The American politics 2 arbitration
- Technology report: 2015 MediaWiki architecture focus and Multimedia roadmap announced
Articles you might like to edit, from SuggestBot
Note: All columns in this table are sortable, allowing you to rearrange the table so the articles most interesting to you are shown at the top. All images have mouse-over popups with more information. For more information about the columns and categories, please consult the documentation and please get in touch on SuggestBot's talk page with any questions you might have.
|226||3.0||Solid South (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||Add sources|
|37||1.0||United States Senate elections, 1998 (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Add sources|
|109||2.0||Ashford University (talk)||2.0||2.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||Add sources|
|1,111||2.0||Midwestern United States (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||Add sources|
|6||1.0||Reiman Gardens (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Add sources|
|6||1.0||James W. McDill (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Add sources|
|2||1.0||Jarad Klein (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Cleanup|
|3||2.0||Representative history of the Ohio House of Representatives (talk)||2.0||2.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||Cleanup|
|41||1.0||Non-voting members of the United States House of Representatives (talk)||0.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Expand|
|2,527||3.0||Republican Party (United States) (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||Expand|
|179||2.0||Dick Durbin (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||Unencyclopaedic|
|676||3.0||John Boehner (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||Unencyclopaedic|
|97||1.0||Slide show (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||Merge|
|9||1.0||David Taylor (American wrestler) (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||Merge|
|100||2.0||Group polarization (talk)||2.0||2.0||0.0||0.0||2.0||Merge|
|7||1.0||Wilshire/Fairfax (Los Angeles Metro station) (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||0.0||0.0||Wikify|
|1||2.0||Spacecraft Systems and Controls Lab (talk)||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||0.0||Wikify|
|162||3.0||Jeff Flake (talk)||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||Wikify|
|1||1.0||Estela Renner (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||Orphan|
|2||1.0||Missouri's 25th Senate district (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||Orphan|
|5||1.0||United States Senate elections, 1886 (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Stub|
|2||1.0||Delusion's Master (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||Stub|
|5||1.0||United States Senate elections, 1862 (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||2.0||0.0||Stub|
|8||1.0||United States Senate elections, 1876 (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Stub|
|7||1.0||Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office (talk)||0.0||0.0||0.0||2.0||0.0||Stub|
|76||2.0||Apple M7 (talk)||0.0||0.0||2.0||2.0||0.0||Stub|
SuggestBot picks articles in a number of ways based on other articles you've edited, including straight text similarity, following wikilinks, and matching your editing patterns against those of other Wikipedians. It tries to recommend only articles that other Wikipedians have marked as needing work. We appreciate that you have signed up to receive suggestions regularly; your contributions make Wikipedia better — thanks for helping!
If you have feedback on how to make SuggestBot better, please let us know on SuggestBot's talk page. Regards from Nettrom (talk), SuggestBot's caretaker. -- SuggestBot (talk) 12:53, 29 June 2015 (UTC)
15:56, 29 June 2015 (UTC)
The Signpost: 01 July 2015
- News and notes: Training the Trainers; VP of Engineering leaves WMF
- In the media: EU freedom of panorama; Nehru outrage; BBC apology
- WikiProject report: Able to make a stand
- Featured content: Viva V.E.R.D.I.
- Traffic report: We're Baaaaack
- Technology report: Technical updates and improvements
Please comment on Talk:Kosovo
15:13, 6 July 2015 (UTC)
The Wikipedia Library needs you!
We hope The Wikipedia Library has been a useful resource for your work. TWL is expanding rapidly and we need your help!
With only a couple hours per week, you can make a big difference for sharing knowledge. Please sign up and help us in one of these ways:
- Account coordinators: help distribute free research access
- Partner coordinators: seek new donations from partners
- Communications coordinators: share updates in blogs, social media, newsletters and notices
- Technical coordinators: advise on building tools to support the library's work
- Outreach coordinators: connect to university libraries, archives, and other GLAMs
- Research coordinators: run reference services